ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

USA Football to enter tourney

I'm not sure if this should be under "College" or the forum would work as the players are all College Seniors or have graduated. I had never heard of USA Football, but it reads that they have put a National Team together to play in a World Cup tourney in Kawasaki, Japan.

Excerpts are....

USA Football Executive Director Scott Hallenbeck and head coach John Mackovic announced the 45-player roster Thursday, marking the first time that the United States will play in the international event.

The six-country tournament will be held July 7-15 in Kawasaki, Japan. This year’s event is the third staged by the International Federation of American Football. Team USA will face Germany and Korea in pool play. The other pool will consist of host and two-time defending champion Japan along with Sweden and France.

The 45 players selected were chosen from a pool of 2006 college seniors and represent all levels of college football. NCAA and NAIA schools were asked by USA Football to nominate up to two seniors during the season. That list was pared down by the Team USA coaching staff through film evaluation.

“This team is a complete cross section of U.S. football,” Mackovic said. “We’re excited that we are able to blend every level of college football and put together a team of players from schools of every size. We hope to represent our country in the highest fashion and be great ambassadors for football around the world.”

Complete story and roster @
    http://www.usafootball.com/
    A total of 32 NCAA and NAIA conferences are represented.

RnD

GO RAMS!!

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: USA Football to enter tourney

two-time defending champion Japan
    What the f......?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigredman is offline Registered User

While I admire that an attempt is being made to internationalize American Football, it will NEVER replace soccer (or "football" as Dez and others would say), or catch on as baseball and basketball has internationally. I mean, really, Japan is the world champion the last two years? I would love to know how many of their players were actually Japanese!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    While I admire that an attempt is being made to internationalize American Football, it will NEVER replace soccer (or "football" as Dez and others would say), or catch on as baseball and basketball has internationally. I mean, really, Japan is the world champion the last two years? I would love to know how many of their players were actually Japanese!
    Don't be a hater. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]