Thread: %$@#! Weather!

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

%$@#! Weather!

Well, folks, me & Mom missed this place....for about 18 hours. We had some really nasty storms move thru here late last night (I was out working on a broken water line during the worst one....in the rain!) I got home from work about 11:15, and decided to make a visit to the Clan. As luck would have it, a bolt of lightning hit a utility pole less than a block away...the surge protectors did thier thing, protected our stuff from a power surge, but the DSL modem wasn't so lucky...it's fried. The new modem is due here Friday, but I am one of those packrats...I had a spare in the basement. So, we're back online, at 2.7 MBps....and I have my Rams fix.
    Guys, don't let the little woman tell you to throw out stuff you never use...I didn't, and now we are both glad.....

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: %$@#! Weather!

Welcome Back !

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Sam you gotta get Cable,Its faster.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985

???????????? Is it?.....a few of my friends told me that their cable isnt as fast as my dsl.......how do you find out?

I found out by switching to cable.I download at 4 megs +

thoey is offline Registered User

Sam, Glad you are back up.

Psycho, I guess it depends on a lot of things. MY best friend had cable for years. He saw my DSL and thought it was faster. He switched and still thinks DSL is faster. It also depends on where you are going on the web...
    This space for rent...

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    ???????????? Is it?.....a few of my friends told me that their cable isnt as fast as my dsl.......how do you find out?
    Do a search for "bandwidth test", pick one and check the speed of your connection. Generally, cable is faster than dsl.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    You're right, it was faster. Operative word here is WAS. MediaCON, er, com, used to be who I used. Got a good deal....family basic package (about 60 channels, including 23 channels nobody in the world watches...) and high speed internet for $59.95 a month. The deal was for one year.
    The second bill I got was for $99.95, PLUS modem rental, PLUS HSI. Total? $159.90!!! I called, complained, read them my contract, and was basically told that my 12 month contract was voided by the company....they had the right to change my rates at any time. I got fed up and told them to disconnect us.
    I called SBC, got the DSL Pro package for $24.95, get consistent speeds of 2.7 MBps with this modem, 2.9 MBps with the one that burned out. That is better than what the oversold nodes on cable could offer for twice the price....except at 5:30 AM when nobody else was online. I also got DirecTV for $41.95/month...a hella lot more channels, and none of that 'local access' with shows done by high school dropouts who landed on thier heads too many times when they were toddlers.LOL
    Our cable company's customer support really blows...SBC has ALWAYS treated me well. So does DTV. Nope, I will never switch back...

I,m sorry to hear that about your cable co.I use Comcast Cable tv and internet package $85 per month.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    You're right, it was faster. Operative word here is WAS. MediaCON, er, com, used to be who I used. Got a good deal....family basic package (about 60 channels, including 23 channels nobody in the world watches...) and high speed internet for $59.95 a month. The deal was for one year.
    The second bill I got was for $99.95, PLUS modem rental, PLUS HSI. Total? $159.90!!! I called, complained, read them my contract, and was basically told that my 12 month contract was voided by the company....they had the right to change my rates at any time. I got fed up and told them to disconnect us.
    I called SBC, got the DSL Pro package for $24.95, get consistent speeds of 2.7 MBps with this modem, 2.9 MBps with the one that burned out. That is better than what the oversold nodes on cable could offer for twice the price....except at 5:30 AM when nobody else was online. I also got DirecTV for $41.95/month...a hella lot more channels, and none of that 'local access' with shows done by high school dropouts who landed on thier heads too many times when they were toddlers.LOL
    Our cable company's customer support really blows...SBC has ALWAYS treated me well. So does DTV. Nope, I will never switch back...
    As an SBC employee, it always feels good to hear comments like this. Unfortunately, just like a sports website, you always hear the bad, when things are going good, silence...
    This space for rent...