Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Weekend top box office for movies

As a huge movie fan, I always follow box office trends. For those interested, here is the top 10 for the weekend:

Ghost Rider retains top box office spot

By ALICIA CHANG
    Associated Press

LOS ANGELES The comic-book adaptation Ghost Rider burned the competition at the weekend box office, fending off a rush of new movies to rake in $19.7 million in its second week, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The Sony film starring Nicolas Cage as a motorcycle stuntman turned Satanic bounty hunter continued its momentum after debuting last week with $52 million over the four-day President's Day weekend, the biggest opening ever for that holiday.

"It set the bar so high last weekend that for any newcomers, it was going to be real tough film to beat," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers.

Premiering at No. 2 with $15.1 million was the New Line Cinema psychological thriller The Number 23, starring Jim Carrey as a man obsessed with the mysterious power of that digit.

The other new movies included the 20th Century Fox police spoof Reno 911!: Miami, which opened at No. 4 with $10.4 million and The Astronaut Farmer, which debuted at No. 9 with $4.5 million. The Warner Bros. film stars Billy Bob Thornton as an ex-NASA astronaut who struggles to build his own rocket.

Disney's Bridge to Terabithia, based on the children's fantasy novel, slipped to third place with $13.6 million, lifting its total to $46.2 million. Dreamworks' Eddie Murphy comedy Norbit rounded out the top five with $9.7 million.

Despite bad reviews, Ghost Rider lifted Hollywood out of its box-office slump, with revenues up for the second straight week this year. The top-12 movies grossed $101.8 million, up 1.5 percent from the same weekend last year. However, movie attendance to date this year is down 2.2 percent.

Ghost Rider is based on the Marvel Comic books about motorcycle stunt driver Johnny Blaze, played by Cage, who sells his soul to the devil and gains fiery superpowers.

"It's an accessible movie to everyone," said Rory Bruer, head of distribution for Sony. "Not only does it have action and special effects, it also has a tremendous sense of humor to it."

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. Ghost Rider, $19.7 million.

2. The Number 23, $15.1 million.

3. Bridge to Terabithia, $13.6 million.

4. Reno 911!: Miami $10.4 million.

5. Norbit, $9.7 million.

6. Music & Lyrics, $8 million.

7. Breach, $6.2 million

8. Tyler Perry's Daddy's Little Girls, $5.3 million.

9. The Astronaut Farmer, $4.5 million.

10. Amazing Grace, $4.3 million.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Weekend top box office for movies

Wow...Ghost Rider...honest to God was probably one of the worst films I've ever seen. It was a joke

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I saw 23, and I had the hardest time staying focused on the movie. It just doesn't grab you and it wasn't scary. I am not sure what this says about the top box office movies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Surprised Breach isn't doing better. It looks like a really good movie and gor decent reviews.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Surprised Breach isn't doing better. It looks like a really good movie and gor decent reviews.
    I'm interested in seeing "Breach" myself. A movie that coming out on Friday that looks really funny is "Hog Wild".
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I hope Eddie Murphy is enjoying the money he's getting from Norbit, seeing as how that piece of junk probably cost him with the Oscar voters.

Milan is offline Registered User

Ghost Rider...really? Ghost Rider? :x

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

So I guess I'm alone in saying I liked Ghost Rider? And I don't even like Nicholas Cage.

I'm looking forward to 300, though. 1 week!

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post

There are several of us here that have been waiting for 300 to come out.

viper is offline Registered User

I went and saw "Pans Labyrinth" this week after seeing it win an award, I think for special effects. I'd say it was a "B" movie with subtitles. The special effects were fairly good. I'd wait for the DVD rental or cable, if you have any interest in seeing it at all.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I went and saw "Pans Labyrinth" this week after seeing it win an award, I think for special effects. I'd say it was a "B" movie with subtitles. The special effects were fairly good. I'd wait for the DVD rental or cable, if you have any interest in seeing it at all.
    Wow...I thought Pan's Labyrinth was one hell of a movie, man. The effects don't make a movie, the story does. And the story happened to be excellent, it had a great mix of realism towards the facism that went on during WWI in Spain, and the fairytale Pan was in. The musical score was phenomenal and I just thought it was great...and what do you mean by...it was a B movie WITH subtitles? (I hope and think I'm wrong when I first read that...) Are you saying it would've been worse without subtitles, because I think that's a given when you can't understand it

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post
    So I guess I'm alone in saying I liked Ghost Rider? And I don't even like Nicholas Cage.

I haven't seen it, I have no idea what one's motivation would be to see this movie after the previews...

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Because it's Ghost Rider. Who wouldn't want to see a skeleton that's been lit on fire kicking butt?

It's not going to win any Oscars or anything, but if you like action or special effects movies, you'll enjoy it.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/boxoffice/

Biker Romp 'Wild Hogs' Debuts at No. 1
    Monday March 5 7:56 AM ET

The biker buddy comedy "Wild Hogs" and its ensemble cast of John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, William H. Macy and Tim Allen was the weekend box office champ with a $38 million take, according to studio estimates Sunday.

It was Walt Disney Co.'s biggest March opening ever. It was also the largest-ever debut for the 53-year-old Travolta as well as the best non-animated movie debut for Allen, who is also 53. Macy turns 57 next week and Lawrence turns 42 next month.

"It's so easy to see in the material how much fun they were having together. The audience was looking for that first great comedy of the year," said Disney president of distribution Chuck Viane.

ADVERTISEMENT
    "Wild Hogs" performed well beyond expectations, said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers. It had been expected to be No. 1 with earnings in the $25 million range, he said.

"It's just astonishing," Dergarabedian said. "It was the perfect vehicle for these four stars. A combination of star power, great concept and great marketing was responsible.

"This is not an Oscar contender, but it's a fun time at the movies. You know, sometimes it's just about escapism."

No other films were even close.

The No. 2 movie was the thriller "Zodiac," which debuted with $13.1 million. "Ghost Rider" fell to No. 3 in its third week of release with $11.5 million, "Bridge to Terabithia" was fourth with $8.6 million, and "The Number 23" dropped to fifth with $7.1 million in its second week.

Eddie Murphy's "Norbit" continued to draw crowds, placing sixth in its fourth week of release with a $6.4 million take that boosted its cumulative tally to $83 million.

"Music & Lyrics" was No. 7 with $4.9 million and the new movie "Black Snake Moan," about an aging black man who chains a young white woman to a radiator to cure her of her demons, only took in $4 million for eighth place.

Rounding out the Top 10 was ninth place "Reno 911!: Miami" with $3.8 million and "Breach" with $3.5 million.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "Wild Hogs," $38 million.

2. "Zodiac," $13.1 million.

3. "Ghost Rider," $11.5 million.

4. "Bridge to Terabithia," $8.6 million.

5. "The Number 23," $7.1 million.

6. "Norbit," $6.4 million.

7. "Music & Lyrics," $4.9 million.

8. "Black Snake Moan," $4 million.

9. "Reno 911!: Miami" $3.8 million.

10. "Breach," $3.5 million

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

I like Nicolas Cage and want to see Wild Hogs
    Though I am not found of John Travolta.
    October Breast Cancer Awareness!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast