Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AlphaRam is offline Registered User

What Can You Teach Me?

What can you teach me? Tell me about something that I do not know. Is there something in your line of work that you can tell me about? Is there some place that you live that I do not know about?

What can you teach me?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: What Can You Teach Me?

A little trivia for you;

Do you know why rats are used in experiments to test many things?

Because their make up (organs, digestive system, etc..) is very similar to humans.

On that same note...Do you know what they can't do that humans can??

Vomit!
    Last edited by RamWraith; -05-27-2006 at 10:38 AM.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    A little trivia for you;

Do you know why rats are used in experiments to test many things?

Because their make up (organs, digestive system, etc..) is very simulator humans.

On that same note...Do you know what they can't do that humans can??

Vomit!

I knew this my sister was doing research for a medicine for asthma and they use test rats.

Is it true that rats also cannot burp?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Want to learn something about overtime law?

Go to my website: www.freeovertimequiz.com and read the FAQ page!

I can also tell you a lot about birds (I'm an avid birder).

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

What do you want to know? I can teach you about a lot of things, but what I know best is listed here, not in any particualr order. You can sign up for a class when I get the check!LOL

Fire Alarm Installation
    National Fire Protection Association Codes
    National Electrical Codes
    Electrical
    Plumbing
    Fire Safety
    The Beatles
    80's Heavy Metal
    Chevy Small Blocks - the Basics
    DJ'ing
    Being a Smartass

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Want to learn something about overtime law?

Go to my website: www.freeovertimequiz.com and read the FAQ page!

I can also tell you a lot about birds (I'm an avid birder).
    I learned that I am probably not being cheated on overtime....although I rarely work it.

Why is the less tern a protected species of bird?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    What do you want to know? I can teach you about a lot of things, but what I know best is listed here, not in any particualr order. You can sign up for a class when I get the check!LOL

Fire Alarm Installation
    National Fire Protection Association Codes
    National Electrical Codes
    Electrical
    Plumbing
    Fire Safety
    The Beatles
    80's Heavy Metal
    Chevy Small Blocks - the Basics
    DJ'ing
    Being a Smartass
    When is it proper to used galvanized pipe on a hot water tank installation?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Personally, I would never use galvanized, due to the corrosion. Another pitfall is the factor of electrolysis. In this part of the country, the water is much harder than average, and galvanized pipe doesn't last too long.
    Stick with type 'L' copper, and a good no-lead 95/5 solder. Use a dielectric union when hooking up the pipes to the water heater. Don't forget to clean the burner, check for gas leaks (if it is a gas heater), and drain the tank at least quarterly. Double wall galvanized stovepipe is usually required, unless you live in the boonies. When soldering, don't forget to clean all the pipe with 120 grit sanding cloth, and don't skimp on the flux. Oatey #5 works well. As a safety factor, if you have children or elderly persons in your home, 120 degrees is the safe upper limit for water temperatures to prevent scalding.
    Believe it or not, in Arkansas, as of 1997, it was legal to use only galvanized iron pipe, CPVC, or lead in potable water systems according to the codes adopted by the state. I never saw but one lead pipe in a potable water system while working in Arkansas, but lead water pipes would explain a lot...
    Last edited by RamsFanSam; -05-28-2006 at 01:05 AM.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

7 Olympic sized swimming pools of untreated sewage go into Hong Kong harbour everyday

There are more Roll Royces per head of the population in Hong Kong than anywhere else on earth

Also, my wife has just said (Before i can bore you with anything else) that it's Hong Kong law that Husbands have to go to bed when they have to wake in 6 hours.

She's in a multinational law firm so I'll go with it..............................

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    Personally, I would never use galvanized, due to the corrosion. Another pitfall is the factor of electrolysis. In this part of the country, the water is much harder than average, and galvanized pipe doesn't last too long.
    Stick with type 'L' copper, and a good no-lead 95/5 solder. Use a dielectric union when hooking up the pipes to the water heater. Don't forget to clean the burner, check for gas leaks (if it is a gas heater), and drain the tank at least quarterly. Double wall galvanized stovepipe is usually required, unless you live in the boonies. When soldering, don't forget to clean all the pipe with 120 grit sanding cloth, and don't skimp on the flux. Oatey #5 works well. As a safety factor, if you have children or elderly persons in your home, 120 degrees is the safe upper limit for water temperatures to prevent scalding.
    Believe it or not, in Arkansas, as of 1997, it was legal to use only galvanized iron pipe, CPVC, or lead in potable water systems according to the codes adopted by the state. I never saw but one lead pipe in a potable water system while working in Arkansas, but lead water pipes would explain a lot...
    That is a very thorough explanation. In brazing the copper, do you recommend propane or MAPP gas?

In our area, it is against code to use galvanized pipe on hot water tanks or boilers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    7 Olympic sized swimming pools of untreated sewage go into Hong Kong harbour everyday

There are more Roll Royces per head of the population in Hong Kong than anywhere else on earth

Also, my wife has just said (Before i can bore you with anything else) that it's Hong Kong law that Husbands have to go to bed when they have to wake in 6 hours.

She's in a multinational law firm so I'll go with it..............................
    Those are things I did not know. In fact, I am rather ignorant regarding Hong Kong. You will not bore me with any information that you provide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    What higher institution of learning do you suggest I send my ass to? My ass is smart, but it has grown up idolizing you, and wants to become more like you.
    :smoke:
    The best instructors I had while attending college was at the community college in Tulsa. I then transferred to the University of Tulsa (which is no slouch school, academically) and received a degree in mechanical engineering when I was 39.

School is what you make of it, I think. I am a life-long learner and enjoy learning about almost anything. What can you teach me, bigredman?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam
    That is a very thorough explanation. In brazing the copper, do you recommend propane or MAPP gas?

In our area, it is against code to use galvanized pipe on hot water tanks or boilers.
    Neither. Use an oxyacetylene torch, otherwise it won't get hot enough for the copper to become cherry red, and the brazing material will not flow properly. He recommends Silva Braze.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam
    Those are things I did not know. In fact, I am rather ignorant regarding Hong Kong. You will not bore me with any information that you provide.
    Okay,

There are 15 commonly used Chinese dialects in use in China today of which 2 are in use in Hong Kong, Cantonese and Mandarin (Putonghua).

Cantonese is the most popular language in Hong Kong and is considered extremely difficult for a westerner to learn. It has 9 tones ( of which only 6 are often used), which essentially means that you can say the same word 9 different ways depending on intonation.

It can lead to some interesting confusion. For example 'Soy' means 'Water' but it also means 'Soy' sauce, 'Gau' means '9' but it also means 'F**k', 'See' (Say) means '4' but it also means 'Death' (That's why there's very few buildings in Hong Kong, however tall, that have 4th, 14th or 24th floors) and the other day I got in a taxi and instead of asking for what I thought was 'Sai Ti' or 'West rail' I actually asked to go to 'Sai Tin' which is 'heaven'.

Taxi driver laughed his ass off....................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast