Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: What Can You Teach Me?

Hey, Pang, I've been thinking about teaching English in China for a year after I finish with my degree. One of the offers I have received is in Hong Kong. Do you have any idea what a reasonable salary for an ESL teacher there is? I talked to a friend who taught in Beijing about what to expect in mainland Chinese cities, but how does the Hong Kong cost of living compare to the big cities in China?

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    Hey, Pang, I've been thinking about teaching English in China for a year after I finish with my degree. One of the offers I have received is in Hong Kong. Do you have any idea what a reasonable salary for an ESL teacher there is? I talked to a friend who taught in Beijing about what to expect in mainland Chinese cities, but how does the Hong Kong cost of living compare to the big cities in China?
    I think that's a great idea personally, not least because it's what I'm doing currently and I'm having a great time.

I'll PM you with some facts, figures and e-mail addresses etc. Who has offered you a contract here, EMB, agency, or a school directly?

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    Okay,

There are 15 commonly used Chinese dialects in use in China today of which 2 are in use in Hong Kong, Cantonese and Mandarin (Putonghua).

Cantonese is the most popular language in Hong Kong and is considered extremely difficult for a westerner to learn. It has 9 tones ( of which only 6 are often used), which essentially means that you can say the same word 9 different ways depending on intonation.

It can lead to some interesting confusion. For example 'Soy' means 'Water' but it also means 'Soy' sauce, 'Gau' means '9' but it also means 'F**k', 'See' (Say) means '4' but it also means 'Death' (That's why there's very few buildings in Hong Kong, however tall, that have 4th, 14th or 24th floors) and the other day I got in a taxi and instead of asking for what I thought was 'Sai Ti' or 'West rail' I actually asked to go to 'Sai Tin' which is 'heaven'.

Taxi driver laughed his ass off....................
    That is interesting. I think that us Americans do a poor job of having an open mind and that we try to apply our way of thinking on other citizens of the world.

By the way, what is the fare to take a taxi to heaven?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    What higher institution of learning do you suggest I send my ass to? My ass is smart, but it has grown up idolizing you, and wants to become more like you.
    :smoke:
    I received my associates degree from Southwest Missouri State University in 1981. Currently, the school is known as Missouri State University. They did not teach me my 'smartass' skills.
    The requirements for being a smartass include, but are not limited to, being of above average intelligence (as all Rams fans are), knowing history, and having a very dry sense of humor.
    You can never have a piece of paper stating that you are a smartass, but if you want to be a dumbass, you can become a politician, and lots of papers will back you on this.
    The best training for becoming a smartass is to be aware of how stupid humans really are, then just pointing out the obvious.

It appears that I responded inappropriately to BRM. It appears that RFS has addressed his question.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

You guys crack me up.....

I can teach you how to deal with a woman who makes no sense whatsoever on the phone, who you just want to strangle her everytime you talk to her on the phone because it's blah blah blah, but take one look at her in person and you're butter.

I recently learned that it is not a good idea to sunbathe in the raw as you never know who might look up your house on Google Earth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam
    I recently learned that it is not a good idea to sunbathe in the raw as you never know who might look up your house on Google Earth.
    LOL Good thinking. LOL
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam
    I was wondering who the person was that Mom was laughing at....

Stop that! We are decades away from magnification technology that would cause me to suffer the significant embarrassment that you suggest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

No poisonous snakes in Tobago

Tsing Tao is the best beer in China

Soembody just paid HK$112'000 for the handbag that Tana Umaga hit teammate Chris Masoe with after Masoe had whacked the owner's boyfriend in a bar fight. The bag also included the mobile phone that was broken as result of Umaga's handbagging. The Hurricanes who had just lost in the Super14 final.

The UK has the 4th highest population density in the world in terms of people per Km.

Peter Crouch is an England centre forward.

Who will take Movies for $600?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12