Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: What does your town have??

Austin also has something called a Leslie. Now, Leslie is famous here. He's a homeless guy who wears women's skimpy clothing. However, he's been around so long that every Christmas a local company makes these refrigerator magnets of his likeness and sells them. Last year, Leslie made a little over $10,000 in proceeds from it. What did he do? Went to Home Depot, bought the biggest shed he could, and now lives in it in an alley in S. Austin. He also has DirecTV and NFL Network.

Keep Austin Weird.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Bakersfield, CA

Musicians: Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Korn

NFL athletes, including Frank Gifford, Brent McClanahan, David Carr, Cory Hall, Jeremy Staat, James Wofford, Rodney Wright, Rashaan Shehee, Jeff Siemon, Brock Marion, and Joey Porter first played football at one of the seventeen Bakersfield-area high schools.

Bakersfield is the birthplaces of NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Rick & Casey Mears. Kevin Harvick lived down the street from me and I had a huge crush on his hottie sister growing up.

Every Spring, Bakersfield hosts one of California's Scottish Games and Clan Gathering.

The Rabobank Arena in downtown Bakersfield, is home to the Bakersfield Jam; a NBA Developmental League team, the Bakersfield Blitz; an AF2 team, and the Bakersfield Condors; an ECHL AA-level hockey team. The Bakersfield Blaze are a minor league Class A baseball farm team of the Texas Rangers.

Bakersfield is the 11th fastest growing city in the United States with a population of over 100,000, and the fastest growing city in the United States with a population of over 250,000.

The movie The Running Man opens with the Bakersfield Food Riots, where Arnold Schwarzenegger's character is framed as "The Butcher of Bakersfield."

Cast Away, starring Tom Hanks, has a porta-potty outhouse wall that says Bakersfield on the side.

Any reference to Bakersfield by the writer Stephen King usually does not end up in a positive light.

Bakersfield is notorious for some of the worst fog throughout the entire West Coast region, with visibility sometimes dropping to ten feet.

The American Lung Association ranked Bakersfield as the most ozone-polluted city in the nation in 2006. It was also ranked as the second-most polluted city in terms of both short-term and year-round particle pollution.

Intersting place eh? :\

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Musicians: Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Korn
    Wow! What a super-group that would make.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Wow! What a super-group that would make.
    I'm not sure how well Merle would get along with the guys in Korn.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I'm not sure how well Merle would get along with the guys in Korn.
    There would probably be a lot of drinking and not much talking

yodachu is offline Registered User

Milwaukee=a lot of things: beer, cheese, a crappy NBA team, a bunch of Packer fans, and the Brewers and beautiful Miller Park.

I am from Winona, Minnesota though, so we got Bloedow's: awesome doughnuts. We have a grocery store thats locally owned, I work there, so I hate it. Winona Ryder was born here. Al Kapone concieved cyphilis from a hooker in Winona. I think that about it.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

The little town of Makawao where I live is known as a "paniolo" town. It is not unusual to see paniolos (Hawaiian cowboys)riding their horses through town. Some years ago there was a Portugese guy (I think his name was Manuel DeCoite) who in his late fifties was still able to tear quarters in half using nothing but his bare hands. I knew Manuel because back in the day one of my good friends leased a house from him. He appeared on the popular island show "The Hawaiian Moving Company" and demonstrated his ability for all to see. Manuel died some years back but is still remembered as the guy who could tear quarters in half with his bare hands.

Another landmark here on the island is: Mama's Fish House ... Some of you may have even eaten there. When I arrived on Maui in 1970, Mama's didn't exist yet, the original building housed a small cocktail joint which was commonly known at the time to be a "mahu" bar (gay bar). I sold my first gallon of shelled Opihi there for $27.50 in 1970. Even way back then that was really CHEAP!! In 1973 a haole guy from Australia and his Hawaiian wife opened up Mama's Fish House which has long since changed hands and become quite famous. It is pricey, but you won't find fresher fish anywhere unless you catch it yourself. Check out the link to see it ...

http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12