throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Re: What Is Your Favorite Chinese Food?

Living here in Vegas I've been to Chin's a lot, and it is superb.

I went to China for ten days in November, and aside from a world famous, (for Peking Duck, which is funny since it was in Shanghai), restaurant, preferred Chins.

We did have a Mongolian barbrque which was the best I've ever had.

I'm with AV, however - much prefer Thai food.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I really like pan fried dumplings, and kung pao chicken, moo goo gai pan, twice cooked pork, and the chef's specials that mix many meats and veggies together are pretty good also.

I prefer Thai food over Chinese. I had Green Curry yesterday and it was fabulous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I am not impressed with any of it, and will only go for my wife. If I must go, about the only thing I eat are egg roles, them pieces of chicken on the long sticks (rat on a stick).
    Depending on which restaurant you go to around here it's either (Cat on a stick) or (Dog on a stick) haven't tried the (Rat) yet. Or maybe I have??

General Tsao's Chicken.....Peking Ravioli.....#1 and #2 on my list just ahead of whatever on a stick.

AlphaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    Thanks Alpha, now I have to have Chinese for dinner, you got my stomach craving it.

I too like it all, but some of the best Chinese food I had was in Singapore.
    It was better than what I had in Hong Kong.
    Sorry! I think I'll go fire up that banquet Egg Roll & Rice TV dinner...mmm..mmm

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

My favorite is the Gu Lao Rou (literally translated "Ancient Old Meat") It's a local variation on sweet & sour pork. I actually never can remember the name of my second favorite; I just know it as "fourth from the bottom on the left" at that place with the yellow door on Zhu Hui Lu. Yu Xiang Rou Si ("Meat with the Fragrance of Fish") and Gong Bao Ji Ding (what we call Kung Pao Chicken) are both pretty good, and La Mian is just about the ideal hot food on a cold day.

AlphaRam Guest

My wife and I went to eat at a Chinese buffet this evening - it was great on such an icy day.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    My favorite is the Gu Lao Rou (literally translated "Ancient Old Meat") It's a local variation on sweet & sour pork. I actually never can remember the name of my second favorite; I just know it as "fourth from the bottom on the left" at that place with the yellow door on Zhu Hui Lu. Yu Xiang Rou Si ("Meat with the Fragrance of Fish") and Gong Bao Ji Ding (what we call Kung Pao Chicken) are both pretty good, and La Mian is just about the ideal hot food on a cold day.
    I don't recall ever seeing any of your favorites on the menus here in the Northeast.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

That stuff you get in the west has been sanitised for your taste buds

Some of my personal favourites would be Shanghainese dumplings, Siu Mai (Fish balls) in seasame and chilli, Kung Po chicken,Beggars chicken, King Prawns in Black Bean and garlic and maybe Garoupa in soy sauce and spring onion.

My landlord owns one of the best restaurants on the island..................

Happy days.

coy bacon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    That stuff you get in the west has been sanitised for your taste buds

I once went to an authentic "Dim sum", with an American friend who married a beautiful Chinese girl from the mainland. The place was filled with mostly Chinese people. I tried everything she did. ...

I like the sanitisation better.

Some of that stuff, ... fried chicken feet? No, not the wing, not the leg, but the scrawny claw foot. I mean, why bother?

I guess each culture has favorites that other cultures may not take a liken to.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon View Post
    I once went to an authentic "Dim sum", with an American friend who married a beautiful Chinese girl from the mainland. The place was filled with mostly Chinese people. I tried everything she did. ...

Some of that stuff, ... fried chicken feet? No, not the wing, not the leg, but the scrawny claw foot. I mean, why bother?

Yep,

I always have a hard time at weddings. The established tactic for the expat invited to such things is to eat heartily beforehand. There's even restaurants in Hong Kong devoted to 'British' chinese food.

As for chicken's feet, I have never and will never sample them. My wife has had goose web however and said it was okay.................

Personally the worst thing I've had was Frog's ovaries.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Jewish Year (in 2007) is 5767
    Chinese Year (in 2007) is 4704.

So what is 1063?

The number of years we Jews had to wait for Chinese food!

AlphaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon View Post

Do you think a turkey foot would be worth the effort, or does one need to upscale to an ostirich?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12