RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Why is no one talking about the ECPA Reform bill?

Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants | Politics and Law - CNET News

I know this could be construed as political, but to me it's a rights & privacy issue.

They vote on this in 9 days! Email your senator and let them know you won't stand for this privacy breech.

Revised bill highlights:
    ✭ Grants warrantless access to Americans' electronic correspondence to over 22 federal agencies. Only a subpoena is required, not a search warrant signed by a judge based on probable cause.
    ✭ Permits state and local law enforcement to warrantlessly access Americans' correspondence stored on systems not offered "to the public," including university networks.
    ✭ Authorizes any law enforcement agency to access accounts without a warrant -- or subsequent court review -- if they claim "emergency" situations exist.
    ✭ Says providers "shall notify" law enforcement in advance of any plans to tell their customers that they've been the target of a warrant, order, or subpoena.
    ✭ Delays notification of customers whose accounts have been accessed from 3 days to "10 business days." This notification can be postponed by up to 360 days.

Even scarier is the group of companies backing this bill. Members of the so-called Digital Due Process coalition include Apple, Amazon.com, Americans for Tax Reform, AT&T, the Center for Democracy and Technology, eBay, Google, Facebook, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, TechFreedom, and Twitter. When you've got billion dollar companies pushing for more access to everything you do online it makes you wonder what is really going to happen to our information, and how much these companies are paying senators for yes votes. You make think I'm being over-paranoid, but people need to wake up and see Uncle Same is out for itself and not for us and they are taking away our privacy and rights a little at a time while we stand by and do nothing.

Here is the link to find your state Senator. Don't just like my post, write them and let them how you feel about it.

Here is what I just wrote to them, feel free to cut and paste it if you want.

I know on the 29th you'll be voting on the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) Reform bill. I'm hoping since it is yet another way our privacy rights are being slowly taken away, that you will be voting NO on this bill.

This bill in no way serves the American public. The ability to circumvent a judge authorized bench warrant makes it too easy for government agencies to access what we do online and private emails we send.

Thank you for your time and I trust that if you value your constituents rights and privacy you will vote NO on this bill.
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -11-20-2012 at 04:33 PM.