throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RammieGirl Guest

Are You A Smoker?

Just wondering, I smoked for 20 years, not heavy, but enough to find out that I might have mouth cancer due to smoking which scared the crap outta me. I had a severe case of bronchitis about 2 years ago and I temporarily quit when I could hardly breathe into the breathing instruments they tested me with. My thought process was that I was too young to be out of breath like that.

So I quit, yeah right, fooling only myself, but later my dentist discovered a white coloring on the back of my tongue that I couldn't even see and after the biopsy which came back okay, thank GOD, I have completely quit since Sept. 21st of last year.....Not always easy but I really want to be around for my familia and friends as long as I can!!! I quit cold turkey........amazing!!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Are You A Smoker?

I'm not. In high school, I just didn't see it in my budget. I mean you smoke a pack a day like some of my friends did, you could be talking about something like $1,000/year. That's a lot of money when you're working part-time for not much over minimum wage. I figured I'd rather put that towards a car. So one time a few years back I thought I'd give it a try just to see what the big deal was. Honestly, I was kind of disappointed. I had expected more from the experience. It just didn't do anything for me.

I don't have anything against smokers, but it just wasn't for me.

RammieGirl Guest

You are very smart, I have saved alot of money since I kicked the habit, I calculate the $$$ all the time...Your money can be spent on more important things and for just fun enjoyment things!!!! Don't start, it's not worth it!!! Spend that money on RAMS stuffa!!!
    Last edited by RammieGirl; -02-26-2006 at 05:12 AM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I never got into smoking, it never interested me. But then again when i was always very concious of my money, and i felt (and still do) that the money could be spend on better things and i would rather keep my health

curley4me Guest

nice job quitting RAMMIEGIRL. i smoked until 1990, had a one on one hypnotizing session to quit, it worked until 2001 then one day i had a beer and was offered a swisher sweet and the rest is history (stupidity). i am currently a 1/2 pack a day smoker. some days i don't smoke but a few. i truly find that i smoke out of boredom because when i am working i don't even THINK about a ciggie. anyway, i am cutting back and even lost 40 pounds this last 6 months too. feeling RAM TOUGH right about now. as far as the money spent on the ciggies there always seems to be a buy one, get one free sale on my brand so it makes it even easier to keep on buying them. no excuse, just the truth. great to hear you didn't have anything worse, i wish i NEVER started this bad habit again and i will quit, a little at a time. do you use the gum, patch or anything like that?:bow:

Milan Guest

Never done it, don't plan on it either.

I think every one of my guy friends smokes (Not Cigarettes) except one, and me.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

:up: Good for you, RammieGirl!!!

I have been a smoker for 30 years...and I wish I could quit. The health insurance companies tell us how bad smoking is, yet they only give you one or two chances to quit before they say "No More!" If they truly worried about their customers, the insurance companies would try everything to help us kick the habit!

I've tried to quit before, many times. So far, nothing has worked.

Nicotine is among the most addictive substances known to man. Methamphetamine is another thing that is rated as addictive as nicotine. Funny thing is, during my stupid, youthfully indiscresionate days in the 80's, I was able to kick the meth habit without too much trouble. (Thank God! That stuff is BAD!!!!!!!) Yet, I can't do a dang thing to kick smoking. Maybe if the 'tobacco money' the states got a few years ago was used for programs to help us stop smoking instead of other things, people like me would be smoke free.

At the risk of derailing this thread....does ANYONE know of something that can help us quit? I feel like I have tried everything, but I'll take any suggestions!!!!

RamsFan16 Guest

Hell no (excuse my language) smoking is the nastiest thing out there to do. I wouldn't ever ever! smoke. My uncle does and I get enough 2nd Hand smoke from him to give me a sore throat. Never gotten into it, I've said no to my friends a few times but never got into it and never will. I can't stand the smell of a smokers house or anything. I don't care about the money I care about my health, my hygiene (spelling error) and the health of the people around me. No way I don't..

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    Maybe if the 'tobacco money' the states got a few years ago was used for programs to help us stop smoking instead of other things, people like me would be smoke free.
    Some of them did. Arkansas State University for example got an entire new biosciences facility that does drug and nicotine research courteousy of the tobacco settlement.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -02-26-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Sometimes socially.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I was a heavy smoker but gave up 10 years ago.

I will still take the victory cigar though

RamWraith is offline Registered User

used to chew snuff for MANY years. This is my 5th year of being snusse free.

I found out so much of it is an oral fixation. I put a pinch of shredded coconut between my cheek and gum for several months, that helped me to stop.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    I have been a smoker for 30 years...and I wish I could quit. The health insurance companies tell us how bad smoking is, yet they only give you one or two chances to quit before they say "No More!" If they truly worried about their customers, the insurance companies would try everything to help us kick the habit!

I've tried to quit before, many times. So far, nothing has worked.

Nicotine is among the most addictive substances known to man. Methamphetamine is another thing that is rated as addictive as nicotine. Funny thing is, during my stupid, youthfully indiscresionate days in the 80's, I was able to kick the meth habit without too much trouble. (Thank God! That stuff is BAD!!!!!!!) Yet, I can't do a dang thing to kick smoking. Maybe if the 'tobacco money' the states got a few years ago was used for programs to help us stop smoking instead of other things, people like me would be smoke free.

At the risk of derailing this thread....does ANYONE know of something that can help us quit? I feel like I have tried everything, but I'll take any suggestions!!!!
    My brother has been smoking forever and he has tried to quit many times and he fails each time. I think there the chemical reaction that comes from smoking is what makes it so hard to stop. Smoking calms a lot of people down and people like to be calm. It seems whenever a stressful moment comes smokers want to smoke.

I have smoked here and there, but it I can take it or leave it for the most part.

My only suggestion is to talk to your doctor and see if there is some medication that will calm you, like an anti-anxiety prescription. I have a friend that lost interest in smoking when she started taking some prescription meds.

Good job kicking the meth habit....that stuff is pretty evil from what I have heard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RammieGirl Guest

I agree utter and how I was able to quit just like that still amazes me. Especially since I'm around people that smoke but I made up my mind and I must say it was strange. But you are right, when things become stressful, the first thing you want to do is have a ciggie...

I have 2 teenagers and I feel like that guy in the movie "Airplane" when he says, "Damn, I picked the wrong time to stop sniffing glue" lol

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Funny stuff Rammie...I am sure two teenagers would cause lots of stress.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast