Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramcableking is offline Registered User

How things have changed in SL

Not only does this team have a pretty good shot at going down in history as the worst team in St. Louis Ram history but the city itself could care less about the Rams. My wife, my brother and I flew from Philly to SL to attend the ClanRam Bash this past weekend and what I saw (or didn't see) in SL made me very sad. There was no Ram merchandise in the airport....Cardinals, yes....Missouri, yes....but no Rams. There is a sporting goods store in Union Station and in the front window of the store were Cowboy jerseys. My first trip to St.Louis was during the '99 Superbowl year and I thought that I had died and gone to heaven when I saw the Rams helmets painted in the streets around the dome and the garbage cans that were decorated to look like Rams helmets. You couldn't help but pass other people in the streets wearing their Rams colors and feeling that you were among friends. This past weekend if you saw someone in Rams colors you knew they were visitors. The muggers must be having a field day in SL. If you see someone in a jersey or anything rams you know they are a tourist. I saw a poll on one of the evening news programs and the question was if you had to follow a local sports team who would it be. The Rams finished with 8% which was only higher than Illinois with 5%. Seriously, I think that the Rams could carpet bag it out of team ala Irsay and pretty much no one would notice or care. I can't say that I fault anyone living in SL, afterall we've only had 4 winning seasons in 19 years and the Missouri Tigers would probably be 14 point favorites it's just sad to see what has happened over the years.

Kyle

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Re: How things have changed in SL

It is sad, I live about 50 miles west of the city and even the news doesn't cover the Rams like they used to. From 99 up until Martz was fired this town was Rams nuts but since the team has fallen on hard times people have turned their backs. Stl fans are a fickle bunch, as long as a team is doing so-so they will support them, but once a team goes in the tank for a season or two it's adios. The NHL Blues had not missed the playoffs for like 22 years,( rarely made it past the 2nd round) and fans always filled the Scottrade Center @ $35 to $100 a pop. They missed the playoffs 1 year and now they can't give a ticket away. The only team in town that will always fill a stadium no matter what is the Cardinals. Hard to believe we were voted the best sports town in America a few years back isn't it.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

As sad as it is for me Kyle, I agree. The last time I was there for a game was '97 and oh what a different story. They were fresh in town at that time and so just having football back in town was a novelty. I'm sure the ride the next couple of years yielded much of the same, if not more. We worked hard this weekend, but ended up finding a good haul of merchandise to bring back to Colorado with us, but it definitely took plenty of effort and multiple locations in order to do so. I did see the occasional colors being worn around on Saturday, but they were definitely few and far between. This team is definitely in disarray and low fan support definitely does exist. I can understand where the "not so everday fan" comes from, but it definitely does sadden me to see it. I truly hope this team stays in St. Louis and I hope they build the team and the fan base accordingly. No matter what happens and where they go, I will support them and for the meantime I know that I will at the least be in St. Louis for the bash until 2012 (I think??).
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

majorram is offline Registered User

I agree with my good friend kyle...what really ticked me off was the cowboys jerseys in the window at union station... funny enough i asked the shop keeper about this and he said" those are the ones that SELL" are you kidding me I thought, this is Ram country and WE are selling Cowboys jersey, also the only other Rams shop to note is the one at the dome, but you can't get to this until game day, a little late in my view.... I remember those bins Kyle outside the dome, boy how times have changed!!

the only thing to improve in St.louis IS the NIGHT LIFE>>>>>>>>BRILL!!

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, there was about 50% the amount of Rams stuff for sale at Union Station this year, and the Cowboys jerseys in the window made me want to puke.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If the jerseys ON the field aren't buying what the franchise is selling, why would we expect jerseys OFF the field to be selling to fans who aren't buying?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rampower is offline Registered User

I have to say I found it sad that union station and the galleria both have cardinals clubhouses, but not rams. The clubhouse in the stadium is only open gameday??

My local soccer team carlisle (in a city of 50,000, in a county of 200,000) has a club shop open normal hours outside the stadium. The stadium holds 16,500, they rarely fill it, its a small team. Yet they still have a shop.

Only one bar (big daddys) that I noticed had anything up about the game. Every bar had signs saying 'we welcome cardinals fans'.

Maybe its the years, if the rams do 40 years in st louis maybe then every man from 20-40 will have grown up with the rams and be at the game. You cant blame no business man for not wasting money investing in something that doesn't sell. Thats why there aren't many outlets for ram stuff.

I am not shouting for the rams to go to LA. I am not saying that all St Louis fans dont care. All the fans on this board care or they wouldn't be here, on this site. I had an amazing weekend, met up with some great friends and made some new ones too. I just want my team to have a real home. I hope st louis can be that home, but after this weekend I realise it will take a lot of work. A lot of work.

When the stadium doors opened 15 minutes late and the line of people outside waiting didn't even stretch to the road, I was really gutted. Until I was near the dome, I saw ONE rams cap and Zero jerseys on people who hadn't travelled in with the clan, on thursday, friday and saturday.

It was very sobering.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

This thread is truly saddening.

I can relate to your Carlisle analogy Rampower. My 'soccer' team, Hull City, are now in the Premier League and it's a ball, but times haven't always been so good. Just four years ago we played in the bottom tier of the four professional divisions and prior to that we'd been near the bottom of that bottom division for a fair few years, they were the leanest in The Tigers history.

The club came close to going bust and were in financial ruin, but the city new the value of the team, even considering how poor they were, and fans fought to keep the club alive and the city council announced plans to build a new stadium. This attracted investment and the club have improved year on year and they now reside among the elite in the English Premier League.

Even when we were bottom of the fourth division, ranked 92nd out of 92 professional teams in England and Wales, you'd see people wearing Tigers colours throughout the city.

The idea of a city that had lost an NFL franchise turning it's back on another, less than a decade of it being a powerhouse in the NFL, I can barely comprehend it.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I was highly disappointed that I couldn't find the following items:

Bulger Speedos
    Kurt Warner sombrero
    "Faulk You!" bumper sticker
    "Bring It!" Chili
    "I Believe and Other Great Stories of Mythology"
    "Visitors Guide To Waterskiing the Mississippi"

I did find some O-Line swiss cheese, but I wasn't buying it. It crumbled to the touch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I think one thing to consider is that nearly every fan around has at least one of the newest Rams jersey style, and many, like me have more (I have a genuine Kurt Warner blue, a Steven Jackson Gold, a Faulk white, not to mention my old Deacon Jones, Kevin Carter, and Ike Bruce ones.)

If the team changed unis again, you'd see a ton of jerseys sell in a hurry.

This is a city where everyone wears their colors to the game, but with the economy as it is, no one can afford to add a third or fourth jersey right now.

The fans here are still very passionate about the Rams and Blues, just listen to any radio talk show, but the cost of tickets has really driven a lot of folks away from going to games.

There are a million stores here that specialize in Rams stuff, and believe me, no one buys at the airport.

Go to any large mall and you'll see Rams gear all over, even at Penneys or Target.

You really cannot get a picture of reality here by looking downtown, where no one shops anymore, or at the airport.

The only downtown mall shut it's doors over a year ago. There is one store downtown that has any Rams jersey you want, and other Rams stuff, and they have it all at the dome as well.

Judging from downtown and the airport would be like judging the Yankees popularity shopping in Staten Island.

Take it from one who actually LIVES here. Even here in Illinois, across the river, it's all Rams everywhere.
    Barry Waller

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

That's good to hear. Next year I'll have to try to figure out how to get to one of the better stores on the MetroLink.

ramgram is offline Registered User

Thank you, Barry. I was beginning to feel we were/are a poor NFL area. Believe me when I say we hear & see more Rams news than one would think. Right now the Mizzou Tigers
    are a tough topic to beat because they are a tough team to beat. Also, if you had been here for the game between Mizzou & the Illini you would have been hard pressed to find a place to put your butt anywhere on the Landing or elsewhere. We are having a hard time trying to figure out why Linnehan was hired in the first place. Again, if you think it's easy to go from Martz' "every down a thriller" to Linnehan's "Let's not risk...anything" think again. I'm sure you feel it too, judging from the articles & postings. We all knew Mike was better up in the booth than down on the field but boy did he make it fun! Midwesterners are a friendly bunch of people who have to work hard for their dollars & when ticket prices continue to climb while the team continues to leave their hearts in the locker room, it's hard for them to cheer. People who make more money in one game than some of them make in a year can leave a sour taste in the mouth. Whatever your feelings about Bulger, we all know he is not worth the ENORMOUS salary he makes! When the team floundered so badly last year everyone thought it was an adjustment year & things would improve a bit. But when the mini camps showed us a bunch of babies whining about the heat, the water, the practice hours & etc. it became clear the team didn't care & THE TEAM WAS NOT A TEAM!!! Jackson's hold out was a good example. I remember when negotiations went on while the team was on the practice field & "hold outs" a phrase seldom heard. The Blues "fired" their fans when they hired The Destroyer & traded Hull. The Cardinals have to prove to the fans that the new stadium is more than just an eyesore. Busch Stadium, although crumbling, was one of a kind while the new one is a stab at nostalgia that is failing. These are a few of the sports stories going on now & I'm sure wherever there are pro sports, here or "across the pond" it's much the same. A final thought: Bring back Mike Martz!!
    By the by Avenger, I'm going to try to put together a list & directions to some of the best places to shop for next year. If any of you locals have input please post it here or to me. GO RAMS!!! ramgram
    ramgram

rampower is offline Registered User

Thats a great idea; Lets get us out of towners the info!

Please all post the stuff we need here.

I guess like the organisation said last year, when you aint winning all of a sudden the beer is flat and the hotdogs are cold.

Go Rams
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

It is indeed a very good idea, I plan to do a lot of Rams gear shopping when I'm in town for the Dolphins game.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Ramram and Barry are so correct on this, don't judge this town by just going downtown, there are tons of places in St. Louis county and St.
    Charles county to buy Rams gear. If anyone is coming to town PM me and I'll give you my #, I usually am busy with my kids on the weekend but if I have time we can get together and I'll take you to some places so you don't have to pay for a rental.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast