RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Hey people. I returned for another Rammervention!

Hey guys, how's it going? A few of you might remember me, but most of you don't. I never really made an impact on this site so I don't see why you would. Anyways, I'm back to take part in the Council of Horns as we embark on this new season. I've been away doin some stuff since last season (Pro Evolution Soccer, Rainbow Six Las Vegas(Elite holla at me), ACL reconstruction (and physical therapy, ewww), watchin movies, followin the premiership, preparing for college (lookin at schools n stuff), etc etc. So yeah anyways I'm hear to throw in my chips in this dip (haha yeah I know you like that one) on anything Ram. Well yeah that's about it man lets go one game at a time lets stay undefeated for one more week. Tye hill is ready to shut down stevie.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Hey people. I returned for another Rammervention!

Welcome back, I've been wondering what happened to RAM-BO?

Bring on the posts the more the merrier.

It's going to be a fun season for us RAMS FANS!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Hey Ram-bo good to see you back in action. I see that you have been busy.

I have questions about ACL injuries. My dog, Loki blew his knee out chasing horses at camp at Christmas time. He doesn't seem to be in too much pain, but he picks it up and does not use it going downstairs and he is favors it when walking. He has improved and has reinjured it several times throughout the year. Can these injuries heal on their own or is it best to do surgery on them? It is between $1500 and $3000 to do the surgery on a dog. He has 4 legs and he is not an athlete no matter how much the vets tries to convince me of these things so I am hesitant to spend the money on him.

How did you hurt your ACL Ram-bo and is it getting better?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigredman is offline Registered User

I don't know about veterinary medicine, but it sounds like your dog is in pain or at least has discomfort in that leg. I doubt that it will heal on its own at this point. Usually you have to immobilize the leg immediately after the injury for 6 to 8 weeks in a cast on minor tears. The condition will probably worsen as the dog gets older (arthritis may set in quicker, uneven wear of the cartilage resulting in bone chips). Issues like this are such a personal thing. Some see their pets as close family members equal to their own children. I love my pet, but I know wouldn't fork out 2 to 3 grand for a knee operation. That's me though.

Oh yes...welcome back Ram-Bo. Sound like a man who has his whole life out in front of him. A bright one at that.
    Last edited by bigredman; -09-02-2007 at 12:03 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Welcome home my friend, it is good to see you

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Hey Ram-bo good to see you back in action. I see that you have been busy.

I have questions about ACL injuries. My dog, Loki blew his knee out chasing horses at camp at Christmas time. He doesn't seem to be in too much pain, but he picks it up and does not use it going downstairs and he is favors it when walking. He has improved and has reinjured it several times throughout the year. Can these injuries heal on their own or is it best to do surgery on them? It is between $1500 and $3000 to do the surgery on a dog. He has 4 legs and he is not an athlete no matter how much the vets tries to convince me of these things so I am hesitant to spend the money on him.

How did you hurt your ACL Ram-bo and is it getting better?
    Well if the ACL is torn, it won't heal by itself unfortunately. As I understand it ligaments don't repair on their own because the tear doesn't allow bloodflow to the ligament. It wasn't too bad when I tore my ACL, I was still working out and stuff so your dog for the most part should be fine, but his leg will be unstable at the knee. It may feel wobbly to him which is why he doesn't want to put too much weight on it.

I hurt my ACL playing football (haha!). Yes I was wearing my stephen jackson jersey when I got hurt and I wore it the day I had surgery. I never would turn my back on the Ram! Been in physical therapy for about 8 weeks and I am getting better each time, thanks for asking. It is important that when you get knee surgery that you move your leg around as soon as you can. If not your muscles get stiff quick and it will be torture in therapy trying to bend it (learned from experience :x ). Well I hope your dog gets well soon and I hope I helped. Nice to see you again Blitz by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    I don't know about veterinary medicine, but it sounds like your dog is in pain or at least has discomfort in that leg. I doubt that it will heal on its own at this point. Usually you have to immobilize the leg immediately after the injury for 6 to 8 weeks in a cast on minor tears. The condition will probably worsen as the dog gets older (arthritis may set in quicker, uneven wear of the cartilage resulting in bone chips). Issues like this are such a personal thing. Some see their pets as close family members equal to their own children. I love my pet, but I know wouldn't fork out 2 to 3 grand for a knee operation. That's me though.

Oh yes...welcome back Ram-Bo. Sound like a man who has his whole life out in front of him. A bright one at that.
    Thanks Red! I'm looking forward to reading your posts, they always get me.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO View Post
    Well if the ACL is torn, it won't heal by itself unfortunately. As I understand it ligaments don't repair on their own because the tear doesn't allow bloodflow to the ligament. It wasn't too bad when I tore my ACL, I was still working out and stuff so your dog for the most part should be fine, but his leg will be unstable at the knee. It may feel wobbly to him which is why he doesn't want to put too much weight on it.

I hurt my ACL playing football (haha!). Yes I was wearing my stephen jackson jersey when I got hurt and I wore it the day I had surgery. I never would turn my back on the Ram! Been in physical therapy for about 8 weeks and I am getting better each time, thanks for asking. It is important that when you get knee surgery that you move your leg around as soon as you can. If not your muscles get stiff quick and it will be torture in therapy trying to bend it (learned from experience :x ). Well I hope your dog gets well soon and I hope I helped. Nice to see you again Blitz by the way.
    Thanks for the info Ram-bo. My dog is getting old and he is handling the wobbly leg. He doesn't seem to be in too much pain.

I hope your knee fully recovers and you get through the physical therapy without too much problems. Are you going to keep playing football?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Utter. I will definitely still play football, but playing in college might not happen. I will give it a shot though.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Hey Bo!

Good to see you back!:l

I had my ACL re-attached back in 87, it just decided it was tired of being part of a hinge. Of course playing basketball at the time may have helped it decide to rebel.

3 days a week @ 3 &4 hrs per session for about 6 months and I have no problems with it, It doesn't even forecast weather. As of late it the same knee seems to want to swell on occasion but an OTC knee support for a day or two helps that. No need (!) yet to put back on the carbon/titanium brace. Good luck with your PT. Remember you will only get out of rehab what you put into it!

Utter, it is hard to say what to do unless you know what the extent of the injury is. My neighbors would spend the money, but they have it... mostly depends on what the dog means to you and how old it is.

I have had to put 2 dogs down and might be looking at a third due to medical issues and lack of financing. This one doesn't seem to be in bad shape, once he gets up from laying down he is his usual self but is also 13 now. Tough choices.. gl to ya.:l
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Utter, it is hard to say what to do unless you know what the extent of the injury is. My neighbors would spend the money, but they have it... mostly depends on what the dog means to you and how old it is.

I have had to put 2 dogs down and might be looking at a third due to medical issues and lack of financing. This one doesn't seem to be in bad shape, once he gets up from laying down he is his usual self but is also 13 now. Tough choices.. gl to ya.:l
    I wish I had the money. I would do it for him, but this is not a matter of life or death. He is going on 9 years old and he has slowed down already. He has three other good legs and he has adjusted.

We have been through the copperhead experience and the getting both Loki and Lee's stomachs pumped after one of them ate a bottle of antibiotics. My dogs have managed to end up in the emergency room a couple of times and the visits have not been inexpensive. Silly boys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]