8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pisa and Spoon

2 25.00%
  • Diggs and Vobora

6 75.00%
  • Diggs and Chamberlain

0 0%
    raybp is offline Registered User

Exclamation Na'il Diggs and LB core, can someone explain...?

We just signed Na'il Diggs a day ago to help out at linebacker (possibly either side Strong or Weak). He's going to be 32 in a couple of months and has already played 10 seasons, though not all of last year due to injury.

Can anyone explain how this is an upgrade? Why not have kept Will Witherspoon (another former Panther acquired through free agency). We certainly lost a difference maker on defense without acquiring a difference maker when he went to Philly. Oh yeah and he's 3 years younger than Na'il (plus about 40 more tackles a year).

Or for you real fans how about when we let go Pisa Tinoisamoa before last season, you remember the guy that had led our defense in tackles the two years prior to 2009??? We got nothing as a result of his release.

It just seems to me a team that has so much rebuilding to do in key roles, can't afford to release and trade away the few pieces that are working and DO HAVE talent to go with something left in the tank. It's hard to argue that salaries are really the issue when these guys were actually earning their checks.

Please don't take my word for it, while Pisa and Will were not pro-bowl caliber compare their stats to Na'il and tell me which you think could help this team as a veteran leader in the long haul?

Unless someone can sit back and enlighten me that these guys wouldn't work in Spags system or were poison in the locker room I cannot imagine that their release was a move in the positive direction for a defense that has ranked near the bottom of the league for most of this decade.

Hard to 'Believe' in the rebuilding process when the team seems to be sliding further and further downhill.

/shakes head in disappointment
    Last edited by raybp; -04-08-2010 at 02:44 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Na'il Diggs and LB core, can someone explain...?

Spags wanted to get bigger at the LB spot, and he has done just that. Also, don't discount the player (Gibson) and pick (5th round) obtained for Spoon.

raybp is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Spags wanted to get bigger at the LB spot, and he has done just that. Also, don't discount the player (Gibson) and pick (5th round) obtained for Spoon.
    I hope Gibson develops, god knows we need help at WR. But I stress who right now makes more of an impact? Keeping Spoon around with Lauranitis while trying to beef up the Def or a no-name, yet to demonstrate impact WR and a late round pick?

I'd have kept Spoon. I'll even restate, younger, faster, more productive. Beef up the line not the linebackers!

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

Pisa was ALWAYS injured, just ask Chicago so no matter how good you think he was, he was never on the field.
    Spoon was a very good LB imo, but he was ALSO a leader in the locker room and was moved to bring in the young NEW leader who had to be ESTABLISHED . = a possible conflict imo.
    Vobora I think is a project who has shown some promise and I hope he comes on in camp and wins the 3rd starting spot, provided we dont draft a stud.
    Diggs is solid. Hes not a pro bowler but a good veteran that understands JL is the leader here.
    Chamberlian has as much of a chance as anyone, to PROVE he can play. Except for Diggs and JL they are all on 1 year deals I think, so it'll be a tough competition with guys in their 2nd or 3rd years.
    If we add a draft pick he can fight for the 3rd spot with eveyrone else I think we might be ok at LB this year compared to other positions.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Spoon had a larger contract, wasn't producing as much as expected, and was traded for an extra pick and a promising young receiver. He just wasn't worth the money he was paid. Diggs contract isn't as big im sure, fills a short term need, and was obtained along with the 5th rounder and Gibson that we received in exchange.

Your lucking at how does this help "now". How about you give them a bit of time to add some talent to supplement, eh?

Pisa was already injured, took up too much money, and imo just wasn't that good. not to mention he was undersized.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

if fans can`t trust the experts to know what they doing....and think every decision they make is wrong because they despite having 27 years fewer experience in the NFL ,know better than those who have that experience, until they have actually seen the product on the field during the regular season..its gonna be a long 5 months...very few roster spots are locked down 5 months before the regular season starts..OLB for the Rams is not one of the few...neither of the two.

Spoon probably wouldnt have been on the roster at this point if we hadnt traded him..we just wouldnt have got a Rookie wideout with great promise and a 5th rounder this year for him.

i would add that we wouldnt have been in the position to draft whoever we want with the 1st pick this year if we had kept Spoon for the season..but having actually watched every game of his Rams career and in particular the last 22 regular season games of it..we would have got the 1st overall pick regardless of if we traded him or if we just kept him till his contract run out.

tank_dogg06 is offline Registered User

Diggs & Carpenter

I want an all-Buckeye LB core!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Na'il Diggs, James Laurinaitis, and Bobby Carpenter; all played in Ohio State as Linebackers. Coincidence is it not?

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Na'il Diggs, Bobby Carpenter, James Laurinaitis, and Larry Grant(backup) all played for Ohio State.

Why does spags like Ohio State LB's so much?