throwback week



Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Striped_Kramer Guest

    Waving the White Flag...

    ...right next to my red & gold one.

    Hey y'all... non-obnoxious Niner fan here, not trying to run around yappin' about the Ike thing or kick y'all when you're down ('cause we have so much room to talk with our record over the last 5 years)... just need get away from the rampant homerism and talk some football.


  2. #2
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,067
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    Quote Originally Posted by Striped_Kramer View Post
    ...right next to my red & gold one.

    Hey y'all... non-obnoxious Niner fan here, not trying to run around yappin' about the Ike thing or kick y'all when you're down ('cause we have so much room to talk with our record over the last 5 years)... just need get away from the rampant homerism and talk some football.
    The white flag might not save you this week, but welcome.

  3. #3
    Keenum's Avatar
    Keenum is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    welcome, I always enjoy hearing from an opposing fan who shows class and enjoys talking about football.

    I guess I can get things started with a question: How do you 9ers fans feel about Alex Smith? Is this is last chance to prove himself, or is he on a very short leash this year?

  4. #4
    Striped_Kramer Guest

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    welcome, I always enjoy hearing from an opposing fan who shows class and enjoys talking about football.

    I guess I can get things started with a question: How do you 9ers fans feel about Alex Smith? Is this is last chance to prove himself, or is he on a very short leash this year?
    A big chunk of the fanbase has already given up on him (unfairly, IMO). For a franchise with the Montana-Young-Garcia lineage, there typically isn't a whole lot of patience with the QB position - but I don't think he's really been given a chance to succeed. Regardless, he'll definitely be on a short leash this year, assuming he wins the starting job in camp to begin with.

  5. #5
    Keenum's Avatar
    Keenum is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    Yeah, the Montana-Young-Garcia line was one of the best "passing of the torch" lines ever.
    He's suppose to be very smart, and it takes a smart guy just to understand Martz's offense. If he can grasp it (and I bet Isaac Bruce helps him out with that some), then next year could be his breakout year.
    Unless Shaun Hill just looks awesome in camp or something. I saw him play a little bit last year, and he looked really good for the most part.

  6. #6
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,067
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    Quote Originally Posted by Striped_Kramer View Post
    A big chunk of the fanbase has already given up on him (unfairly, IMO). For a franchise with the Montana-Young-Garcia lineage, there typically isn't a whole lot of patience with the QB position - but I don't think he's really been given a chance to succeed. Regardless, he'll definitely be on a short leash this year, assuming he wins the starting job in camp to begin with.
    If that short leash is yanked, who's in position to fill the void?

  7. #7
    Brain Daddy Guest

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    If that short leash is yanked, who's in position to fill the void?
    Shaun Hill

  8. #8
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,067
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post
    Shaun Hill
    Not good when your top two QB's are projects, trying to learn the complicated Martz system no less. Ike is probably in for a frustrating season.

  9. #9
    moklerman Guest

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    Don't forget about J.T. O'Sullivan. Being a year in Martz's system already will give him the early advantage over both Hill and Smith. I don't know if Martz brought him in to tutor or to actually give him a chance to play, but I always thought he had the physical tools to make it as an NFL QB.

    Does waving the white flag mean that one is surrendering or coming in peace? Or both?

  10. #10
    Striped_Kramer Guest

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Does waving the white flag mean that one is surrendering or coming in peace? Or both?
    LOL... only coming in peace, mate - homerism and general nice-guyishness aside, I am still a Niner fan, after all!

  11. #11
    Striped_Kramer Guest

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Not good when your top two QB's are projects, trying to learn the complicated Martz system no less. Ike is probably in for a frustrating season.
    Little nervous on that front myself... I'm hoping that since at least the Coryell terminology is the same as what they've been using for two years already that we're not starting completely from scratch, and that maybe the brainiac Boy Wonder with the big 11 on his shirt can pick it up quickly.

  12. #12
    RamsFanSam's Avatar
    RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, United States
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,715
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    Quote Originally Posted by Striped_Kramer View Post
    LOL... only coming in peace, mate - homerism and general nice-guyishness aside, I am still a Niner fan, after all!
    Well, I've often told Brain Daddy that being a whiner fan is his biggest fault....

    I do have one question for you. Do you really think that Martz will be able to do anything about the offense THIS year?

  13. #13
    Striped_Kramer Guest

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Well, I've often told Brain Daddy that being a whiner fan is his biggest fault....

    I do have one question for you. Do you really think that Martz will be able to do anything about the offense THIS year?
    Well, in all honesty, after last year's campaign, I don't think he could do much to hurt it. At the very least, I'm sure we can expect to be free from senselessly pounding Gore into the middle of the line three times before sending Andy Lee out to punt. Looking at what he was able to do in Detroit in the first year, where they were transitioning out of a West Coast system, gives me a little hope, and having Ike in town will help tremendously, as we don't have a Roy Williams-type in our receiving corps, so having someone around who understands the system inside and out will make up for that.

    A major complaint from the players last year was that the offense had no rhythm, no flow to the game plan. The general consensus is that Martz makes our offense better simply because he's not Jim Hostler.

  14. #14
    Chris58's Avatar
    Chris58 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho
    Age
    65
    Posts
    672
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    Quote Originally Posted by Striped_Kramer View Post
    ...right next to my red & gold one.

    Hey y'all... non-obnoxious Niner fan here, not trying to run around yappin' about the Ike thing or kick y'all when you're down ('cause we have so much room to talk with our record over the last 5 years)... just need get away from the rampant homerism and talk some football.
    Hey Striped_Kramer, where in the Bay area are you? I have relatives in Pleasant Hill. My cousins and I get in very spirited debates as they are ****s and Giants fans. Since I grew up in So Cal, I am a Dodgers/Rams fan. Makes for fun rivalries.

    :l

  15. #15
    Striped_Kramer Guest

    Re: Waving the White Flag...

    I'm in Fremont, nestled about halfway between Oakland and San Jose, and the soon-to-be home of the Not-Quite-Oakland-Anymore A's.

    I would definitely imagine that makes family gatherings quite fun! Even within the Bay Area, there's a pretty good cross-bay rivalry between the Oakland and SF teams. It's pretty hard to find fans of both the A's & Giants or Niners and Raiders. Still, there's nothing quite like the ol' NorCal-SoCal battles...

Similar Threads

  1. Sooners' White garners Maxwell, O'Brien awards
    By DJRamFan in forum COLLEGE
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-10-2004, 12:40 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: -10-08-2004, 03:56 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-25-2004, 12:09 PM
  4. White pulls out of running for Rampage job
    By DJRamFan in forum ARENA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-11-2004, 02:03 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-10-2004, 11:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •