RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Coakley expects to be cut says another

jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=430101

Unless there's a bombshell or two, the post-June 1 cuts will be the most unattractive lot ever. Among the casualties could be Washington wide receiver David Patten, St. Louis linebacker Dexter Coakley, Cleveland running back Lee Suggs and Oakland defensive end Bobby Hamilton.

RamsFan16

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: Coakley expects to be cut says another

I dont think he will get cut, he just had a down year last year. and he provides experience

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think he's cut. I don't think he has the speed anymore to play in this version of the NFL.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Great.....we fire martz and bring in a guy who couldn't coach defense if the manual hit him square in the face. First we cut Claiborne. That was a genious move in and of it self. How could they have cut him when they didn't see him play last year? He was never on the field, because they always played with 2 lb's and 5 db's. He was a quality player that should still be with the team. Going back on topic. I think that it would be a stupid decesion to cut him. If they cut him, who will take over his slot? I'm not big on trial by fire with guys that have little NFL experience. He is also an experiencing veteran who is always giving of himself. He is not willing to take a hit to give one back. Also with tackling being such a problem last year, why do we wanna cut someone who can tackle on a constant basis?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Alright Dr. As I am the self proclaimed ClanRam Secretary of Defense, I'm going to enjoy your input on the "other" side of the ball.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

yea i agree with Dr. D. they never let Claiborne on the field he has experience and he's a good player. I would of liked it if Claiborne was still on the team. I would liked our linebackers to look like this:

WLB Witherspoon, MLB Claiborne, SLB Tinoisamoa

Witherspoon is better in his Natural Position.

Right now its:

WLB Tinoisamoa, MLB Witherspoon, SLB Chillar

This is a great linebacker set, but Witherspoon IMO isnt ready to play MLB.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Welcome to the clan!

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to disagree with you here, especially on Claiborne. Linehan saw plenty of him in Minnesota when they were both there in 2003 and 2004. The fact that Claiborne is still a free agent tells me that none of the other teams are that excited about him either. Coakley is a proven player, but he's coming back from a major injury. My take on this is that if it clears the cap space for another signing--say a veteran defensive tackle--it's probably for the best.

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

A bit under-sized, a little long in the tooth and recovering from major injury. I do believe these factors will contribute to Dexter's leaving us.

Agree with GF I do. Linehan saw plenty of Claiborne in Minny. While I do agree that he was shortchanged on playing time last year, I do not believe he was a fit for Haslett's D.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense
    Great.....we fire martz and bring in a guy who couldn't coach defense if the manual hit him square in the face. First we cut Claiborne. That was a genious move in and of it self. How could they have cut him when they didn't see him play last year? He was never on the field, because they always played with 2 lb's and 5 db's. He was a quality player that should still be with the team. Going back on topic. I think that it would be a stupid decesion to cut him. If they cut him, who will take over his slot? I'm not big on trial by fire with guys that have little NFL experience. He is also an experiencing veteran who is always giving of himself. He is not willing to take a hit to give one back. Also with tackling being such a problem last year, why do we wanna cut someone who can tackle on a constant basis?

We fired Martz because it was time to fire Martz. We brought in Haslett because he can coach defense. The Rams cut Claiborne because when he was on the field it was like he wasnt on the field. He had his chance and if he was so good he would have stayed on the field. I seen him miss enough tackles and be out of position in the first Seattle game to know why he lost playing time throughout the year. Tackling was an issue last year becuase of bad coaching. Most of these same guys tackled pretty good under Lovie Smith didnt they? If they cut Coakley consider it a good sign they are confident with what they have and what they have seen.
    Just Fix It