Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Milan is offline Registered User

Dealing with Sports Performance Anxiety

Usually, just before a football game for my high school team, I get nervous, scared and really don't feel like talking to anyone, it forces me to not enjoy the game at all. Now I have a dilemma, I want to join an OVFL team (O.J Atogwe used to play in the OVFL as a teen) but what's keeping me from joining is my fear of making mistakes...This seasons I was 2nd string for about 3/8 games and first string at either CB or FS for the remainder (I was second string in the beginning because of my size and my coaches not knowing I could play with the rest because of my size), I had one interception, and 2 tackles, one which was an open field, and I missed two tackles (One on a 2 point convert). The one on the 2 point convert was just the QB getting away from me, and the first one I missed was me being scared of making a mistake. My friends and coaches tell me that my coverage skills are great and I am one of the smallest on the team so they tell me I'm also 'tough'. But despite this, I still have fears when I play football. Is there any way to deal with Sports Performance Anxiety? BRM, maybe you have an answer, being a former football player and a coach right now?

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: Dealing with Sports Performance Anxiety

i went through that my first season, i was so nervous about making mistakes, i always thought my mistake was the reason my team would lose, right now i dont worry about it any more, if i make a mistake I always say to myself that theres always another play to make it up, unless its like the final play, it seems to work for me, dont worry about it that much everyone make mistakes, the more u worry about mistakes instead of focusing on the game, the more likely you'll make a mistake....

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever View Post
    i went through that my first season, i was so nervous about making mistakes, i always thought my mistake was the reason my team would lose, right now i dont worry about it any more, if i make a mistake I always say to myself that theres always another play to make it up, unless its like the final play, it seems to work for me, dont worry about it that much everyone make mistakes, the more u worry about mistakes instead of focusing on the game, the more likely you'll make a mistake....
    Hmm...I've been playing 2 seasons but hardly got any time in my first...and I'm going off to senior next year with guys much bigger and stronger than me so that's also gonna cause problems, I did a test for Sports Anxiety and out of a stress level of 30, I got 29...and Senior football's probably just going to make it worse. I'd love to try your advice but football season's over Also, for the whole season, my coach didn't teach me the Cornerback stance, and I ended up playing with a receiver stance the whole season, yesterday I tried out the CB stance on some friends who are a lot faster while playing pickup football and it helped me a lot keeping up with them.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

well i have played sports since i was about 3 years old, i have played baseball, football, soccer, and basketball, and i have excelled in all of them(except soccer, whoo was i bad!) and because i have always been so good, i have built up confidense for myself, and thats why i dont get nervous. if you want advice listen here. DONT worry about making mistakes. even if it is a big one, because you learn from your mistakes and you cant be nervous or you are going to repeat your mistakes. you just have to go out there and do your job. Just relax, calm dwn, and have fun because you only have 4 years to play highschool football, and after that your done! unless yuo go to ollege of course. this could be one of your last chances to play orginized football so make the most of it and do your own PERSONAL best. and as long as you are doing you hardest, you have nothing to be ashamed of. we all make mistakes, people in the NFL make mistakes, but what do they do? they go back and correct their mistake. so just go out there and do what you do, and if you do make a mistake, then go and correct it and show the coaches how hard you will work to correct anything that you do wrong, and i promise you that they will love you.
    Built RAM tough

Keenum is offline Registered User

You just gotta love the game and enjoy what you do. During my high school football career, I don't ever think I was nervous before a game. I always enjoyed the moment knowing that we were about to go out there and do our stuff. Many of my friends would be all tense, and I'd usually be the one to say something stupid and lighten the mood.

Don't worry about making mistakes, they happen to everyone. Join the league you want, relax, and just play some football. Also, hard work will cut down on many future mistakes. Get stronger in the weight room and sharpen up your mental skills during practice, and you want have to worry about messing up. If you do, shake it off, remember what you did wrong, and don't do it again.

Best of luck in the future!

Thanks a lot guys. I didn't join the Summer League I wanted but it was due to it costing a lot and me not wanting to waste my parents money. Still contemplating whether I'll play next year, I'm leaning towards playing though.

From what I've read that you've posted, you sound a lot like Tye Hill: a smaller guy, but is speedy and has good coverage skills. I'm not sure of your vitals (height, weight, 40 time, etc...), but I'm assuming your shorter than others, weight decent for a CB, and are pretty fast. You'll want to spend the summer lifting weights and running to get ready for next year. Athelets that love the game (Jerry Rice, Walter Payton) spent countless hours training.

I'm assuming you are playing varsity football for your high school? A year really will make a ton of difference. My 10th grade year, I was nowhere near ready to play football, killed in practice by the seniors, never got in, all that stuff. In my 11th grade year, I rotated in a good bit on the defensive line, and even had a pretty good game against the best team in our region, North Jackson. We were just getting killed that game, so of course I got a good bit of playing time. This was still against their first string, and I managed to get several tackles, including a sack and a tackle for a loss on their stud-RB Cam Robinson (now LB for MTSU). That one year of lifting weights and running made me a lot stronger and better. Of course, the body is still building muscle naturallly in the mid-late teenage years to mid-20s, so I'm sure that was a huge part of it.

Anyway, if you need any tips on training or anything football, just ask! I'll do my best to answer them!
    Last edited by Keenum; -07-08-2007 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    From what I've read that you've posted, you sound a lot like Tye Hill: a smaller guy, but is speedy and has good coverage skills. I'm not sure of your vitals (height, weight, 40 time, etc...), but I'm assuming your shorter than others, weight decent for a CB, and are pretty fast. You'll want to spend the summer lifting weights and running to get ready for next year. Athelets that love the game (Jerry Rice, Walter Payton) spent countless hours training.

I'm assuming you are playing varsity football for your high school? A year really will make a ton of difference. My 10th grade year, I was nowhere near ready to play football, killed in practice by the seniors, never got in, all that stuff. In my 11th grade year, I rotated in a good bit on the defensive line, and even had a pretty good game against the best team in our region, North Jackson. We were just getting killed that game, so of course I got a good bit of playing time. This was still against their first string, and I managed to get several tackles, including a sack and a tackle for a loss on their stud-RB Cam Robinson (now LB for MTSU). That one year of lifting weights and running made me a lot stronger and better. Of course, the body is still building muscle naturallly in the mid-late teenage years to mid-20s, so I'm sure that was a huge part of it.

Anyway, if you need any tips on training or anything football, just ask! I'll do my best to answer them!

You got the Height-Weight thing kinda backwards.

I'm 5'11"-6' but I only weigh around 125-130.

Sure, I'd like some tips on training, I think I'm set with the football knowledge aspect.

I haven't worked out in a while, and I have summer school from 12:00-3:00 so I could work out from 9:00-11:00.

I have a set of dumbbells and not much else in terms of equipment...would that be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    You got the Height-Weight thing kinda backwards.

I'm 5'11"-6' but I only weigh around 125-130.

Sure, I'd like some tips on training, I think I'm set with the football knowledge aspect.

I haven't worked out in a while, and I have summer school from 12:00-3:00 so I could work out from 9:00-11:00.

I have a set of dumbbells and not much else in terms of equipment...would that be enough?
    6' is a pretty decent size for a CB. It's near impossible to add height, but things can be done about weight.
    I'm assuming you are playing at your local high school? If so, they may be having some offseason-workouts you can attend, and most of those are in the morning. Also, be sure to pass summer-school so you are able to play next year!

What kind of dumbells do you have? Since you said you have not worked out in a while, you will want to start off with lighter weights. Working out with lighter weights and more repetitions increases muscle endurance and muscle tone. Heavier weights with less reps increases muscle mass. Since you are playing at CB, endurance is a must. Body-weight excersises are also great. Things such as chin-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, and squats can all be done without anything but your own body.

For a CB, speed is a MUST. A low 40-time is great, but how often do you line up and just sprint 40 yards in football? Change of direction and fluid hips are way more important. Stretching excersises (especially those in the hips and hamstring area) will allow for more muscle mass and for a greater range of motion.

But the #1 tip I can give anybody is hard work. Give your all on the practice field, game field, whenever you watch film on other teams, etc... Stay sharp mentally as well.

This website also has several exersises and other things you can try:
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/legplymo.htm

Best of luck!

Thanks a lot dude you've been a big help.

I'm sure to grow more than 6' tall because I take a lot from my uncles and one is 6'8", the other is 6'3".

Unfortunately, no summer workouts. We don't take football as seriously up here in Canada, so yeah.

The dumbbells I have are:

Four 2.5 Pound weights
    Two 5 Pound weights
    Two 7.5 Pound weights

Back when I used to work out, I'd do about two reps of 20 curls with 15 pounds in each hand.

Thing is, I'm not too fast either when not on a football field. When on the field, I can keep up with a lot of guys faster than me though, don't know why. I also never get tired on the field, ever...I don't know why but it's never happened.

I want to get a chin-up bar installed in my house somewhere. That would really help out.

This was my workout regiment before:

- Push Ups - 30-40 (x2)
    - Curls - 15lbs (x2)
    - The Thing where you put the dumbbells to your side and lift them making a T with your hands - 5lbs in each hand, 15 reps (x2)
    - The thing where you put your hand straight up and bend it backwards towards your back - 10lbs in each hand (x2)
    - Squats with 15lbs in each hand 10-15 times (x2)
    - Toe Raises with 15lbs in each hand 30-35 times (x2)
    - Sit Ups - 40-50 (x2) [In one half hour session, I did over 100 once, was tired afterwards]
    - Shrugs for the traps with 15lbs in each hand 20-30 times (x2)

Is that good? Should I up the weight?

Also - I've been increasing my BMI steadily, gaining 10lbs last summer, and 20lbs in about 3 months this year while not consistently working out.

I was in the 16s for BMI, and I raised it to around 17.7-18.1, just .4 more to go to be considered of average size.
    Last edited by Milan; -07-09-2007 at 10:33 PM.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Thanks a lot dude you've been a big help.

I'm sure to grow more than 6' tall because I take a lot from my uncles and one is 6'8", the other is 6'3".

Unfortunately, no summer workouts. We don't take football as seriously up here in Canada, so yeah.

The dumbbells I have are:

Four 2.5 Pound weights
    Two 5 Pound weights
    Two 7.5 Pound weights

Back when I used to work out, I'd do about two reps of 20 curls with 15 pounds in each hand.

Thing is, I'm not too fast either when not on a football field. When on the field, I can keep up with a lot of guys faster than me though, don't know why. I also never get tired on the field, ever...I don't know why but it's never happened.

I want to get a chin-up bar installed in my house somewhere. That would really help out.

This was my workout regiment before:

- Push Ups - 30-40 (x2)
    - Curls - 15lbs (x2)
    - The Thing where you put the dumbbells to your side and lift them making a T with your hands - 5lbs in each hand, 15 reps (x2)
    - The thing where you put your hand straight up and bend it backwards towards your back - 10lbs in each hand (x2)
    - Squats with 15lbs in each hand 10-15 times (x2)
    - Toe Raises with 15lbs in each hand 30-35 times (x2)
    - Sit Ups - 40-50 (x2) [In one half hour session, I did over 100 once, was tired afterwards]
    - Shrugs for the traps with 15lbs in each hand 20-30 times (x2)

Is that good? Should I up the weight?

Also - I've been increasing my BMI steadily, gaining 10lbs last summer, and 20lbs in about 3 months this year while not consistently working out.

I was in the 16s for BMI, and I raised it to around 17.7-18.1, just .4 more to go to be considered of average size.
    honestly i think you should up the weight to at least 20-25 on the dumbells, because when i do dumbells i normally go 35-40 pounds. also, how much can you bench? here is my workout schedual, i work out at my local gym friday- sunday, and with my football team monday-thursday.
    ab crunches, 20 reps 3 times
    then i do a machine that works out the lower back, 20 reps 3 times
    i do curls 65 pounds 10 reps 3 times.
    i do shoulder press, 90 pounds, 15 reps 15 reps, then 10 reps
    i do a pull down machine, it works bicepts and shoulders. 75 pounds 10(behind my head and infront of it, 10 rimes each0 3 sets
    i do a machine that you pull in, 75 pounds 10 reps 3 sets
    i do a leg press(called a tower) 250 pounds 20 reps 3 times( i have beastly legs)
    sometimes i will mix in some bench press 165 pounds, 1 set of 10, then 2 sets of 5
    and dumbells are last, 35-40 pounds 3 sets of 15
    and then every othre day i will do cardio, so a mile on the tredmill and 4-5 miles on the bike, and thats normally when i also do my bench press and dumbells
    Built RAM tough

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    honestly i think you should up the weight to at least 20-25 on the dumbells, because when i do dumbells i normally go 35-40 pounds. also, how much can you bench? here is my workout schedual, i work out at my local gym friday- sunday, and with my football team monday-thursday.
    ab crunches, 20 reps 3 times
    then i do a machine that works out the lower back, 20 reps 3 times
    i do curls 65 pounds 10 reps 3 times.
    i do shoulder press, 90 pounds, 15 reps 15 reps, then 10 reps
    i do a pull down machine, it works bicepts and shoulders. 75 pounds 10(behind my head and infront of it, 10 rimes each0 3 sets
    i do a machine that you pull in, 75 pounds 10 reps 3 sets
    i do a leg press(called a tower) 250 pounds 20 reps 3 times( i have beastly legs)
    sometimes i will mix in some bench press 165 pounds, 1 set of 10, then 2 sets of 5
    and dumbells are last, 35-40 pounds 3 sets of 15
    and then every othre day i will do cardio, so a mile on the tredmill and 4-5 miles on the bike, and thats normally when i also do my bench press and dumbells
    Wish I had a gym near me. I'd sign up. I have one at my school and I think I'll sign up but I won't be able to do anything during the season cause practices go until 6:00 Every day and the gym closes at 5:00.

I might be able to do 20lbs but I doubt I'll be able to do 25. I tried the bench at my friends house maybe 5 months ago, and almost lifted 100lbs, but my arms gave out right before I reached the top, so I'll most likely be able to do that now.

For chest press, before this year, I could barely hit 90. Right now, I'm hitting 130 I believe. Our Leg press machine only goes to 200. I can do the full thing but it depends on how far back I am. If I'm exactly 90 degrees, I can do maybe 140-150.

I knew this huge kid last year in grade 12...he could do the leg raise machine 200lbs with one leg. It was pretty damn impressive.

Wish I had a gym near me. I'd sign up. I have one at my school and I think I'll sign up but I won't be able to do anything during the season cause practices go until 6:00 Every day and the gym closes at 5:00.

I might be able to do 20lbs but I doubt I'll be able to do 25. I tried the bench at my friends house maybe 5 months ago, and almost lifted 100lbs, but my arms gave out right before I reached the top, so I'll most likely be able to do that now.

For chest press, before this year, I could barely hit 90. Right now, I'm hitting 130 I believe. Our Leg press machine only goes to 200. I can do the full thing but it depends on how far back I am. If I'm exactly 90 degrees, I can do maybe 140-150.

I knew this huge kid last year in grade 12...he could do the leg raise machine 200lbs with one leg. It was pretty damn impressive.
    Oh man I LOVED The leg raising machine! I was easliy getting 450 lbs a while back, but I did use both legs

Here's a tip for your weight training. First off, you need to find the maximum weight you can do (also called your "max") for things such as bench press. Once you find that, to build muscle, you will want to work out with about 70-80% of your max, or however much starts to feel heavy (but NOT your max). On heavy weights, do as many as you can before your muscles start giving out. It should not be that many reps. If it is over 10, up the weight. This will make you stronger and increases muscle mass.

For a little cardio and muscle toning exercise, bench only the bar (if it's a 45 pound bar) or about half of your max (you said about 100, right?) and do that as fast as you can as many times as you can. This increases muscle endurance, and will help you increase the reps of the 70-80% of your max.

Pretty much ANY THING that involves you moving with weights and you can tell works out your muscles is beneficial.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    Oh man I LOVED The leg raising machine! I was easliy getting 450 lbs a while back, but I did use both legs

Here's a tip for your weight training. First off, you need to find the maximum weight you can do (also called your "max") for things such as bench press. Once you find that, to build muscle, you will want to work out with about 70-80% of your max, or however much starts to feel heavy (but NOT your max). On heavy weights, do as many as you can before your muscles start giving out. It should not be that many reps. If it is over 10, up the weight. This will make you stronger and increases muscle mass.

For a little cardio and muscle toning exercise, bench only the bar (if it's a 45 pound bar) or about half of your max (you said about 100, right?) and do that as fast as you can as many times as you can. This increases muscle endurance, and will help you increase the reps of the 70-80% of your max.

Pretty much ANY THING that involves you moving with weights and you can tell works out your muscles is beneficial.
    Finding your 'Max' can be dangerous and because of this I have never done it. It encourages you to struggle and perform the rep with bad technique, meaning it proves little. The general rule of thumb I use as a soccer player is if it's the upper body aim for 8-12 reps and once I hit 12 I raise the weight I lift. For the lower body I would go for 10-15 and raise weight once I hit 15. I know football is a more physically demanding game than soccer but really for both you need good body strength. And the most important thing to remember is that it's not all about how heavy the weight is, it's all about technique and keeping it slow and smooth, rather than bouncing or jerking to lift a heavier weight...

I have implemented the 20lb curls.

I did one set of 15 with the 20lb for curls, then after my other exercises, I cooled down with a set of 20 with the 15lb.

Also, is 70-80 pushups enough. I do 2 sets of 40 and sometimes if I can't do anymore, 1 set of 40 and one of 30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast