Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Re: Dealing with Sports Performance Anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    I have implemented the 20lb curls.

I did one set of 15 with the 20lb for curls, then after my other exercises, I cooled down with a set of 20 with the 15lb.

Also, is 70-80 pushups enough. I do 2 sets of 40 and sometimes if I can't do anymore, 1 set of 40 and one of 30.
    Ok the curls sound good! well for pushups this is what i do, i will do 50 a day for a week. then the next day i will do 60, next week 70 and keep ongoing. same with situps

Built RAM tough

Keenum is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 81~BIG-GAME View Post
    Finding your 'Max' can be dangerous and because of this I have never done it. It encourages you to struggle and perform the rep with bad technique, meaning it proves little. The general rule of thumb I use as a soccer player is if it's the upper body aim for 8-12 reps and once I hit 12 I raise the weight I lift. For the lower body I would go for 10-15 and raise weight once I hit 15. I know football is a more physically demanding game than soccer but really for both you need good body strength. And the most important thing to remember is that it's not all about how heavy the weight is, it's all about technique and keeping it slow and smooth, rather than bouncing or jerking to lift a heavier weight...
    You are 100% correct about finding your max, especially on lifts such as power clean and squat. We would always have several spotters when we maxed out, so I think it's decently safe. The worse I've done is messed up my back pretty bad when I used a bad technique on power cleans. The best thing to do is find your "Max with good technique." Always have spotters, and even if you think you can do it, but your technique is messing up, have them get it up for you. This will prevent most muscle strains and chance of injury.

As you mentioned, going for a certain amount of reps, and then when you reach your goal moving up, is another good routine. That way you know you are getting stronger because you can do the same amount of reps you used to, but now with more weight.

Milan is offline Registered User

I pushed myself to exhaustion today.

I did 50 pushups thinking that it was gonna be a day off for me and wanting to do at least a bit. I did the 50, then I did another set of 40, then a set of 30 in 30 minutes. I also did a lot more repetitions of everything than usual. I'm feeling pretty good. Exhausted, but good.

I pushed myself to exhaustion today.

I did 50 pushups thinking that it was gonna be a day off for me and wanting to do at least a bit. I did the 50, then I did another set of 40, then a set of 30 in 30 minutes. I also did a lot more repetitions of everything than usual. I'm feeling pretty good. Exhausted, but good.
    You feel really good inside after a workout that makes you exhausted, very tired, but good.
    Be sure to drink plenty of water! It will keep you hydrated and ready for more.

Also, rest is also important. If your muscles are very tired, there is nothing wrong with doing some excersies to work out the soreness, but if you work out really hard for days without getting rest, you can actually damage muscle tissue. If you try to do pushups tomorrow and you find you can only do a few before it starts hurting real bad, stop, do some arm stretches, and take a break.

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    You feel really good inside after a workout that makes you exhausted, very tired, but good.
    Be sure to drink plenty of water! It will keep you hydrated and ready for more.

Also, rest is also important. If your muscles are very tired, there is nothing wrong with doing some excersies to work out the soreness, but if you work out really hard for days without getting rest, you can actually damage muscle tissue. If you try to do pushups tomorrow and you find you can only do a few before it starts hurting real bad, stop, do some arm stretches, and take a break.
    Yeah I used to go 2 days working out, one day break and on and on like that. Now I think I'll do 4-5 days per week.

Also, last year I loved my coaches, and I'll be the last to criticize anything any of my coaches do but the dude playing safety next to me had no idea how to play football, he missed tackles everywhere, couldn't catch and wasn't fast at all but he got so cocky from getting to start. One of the dumbest kids I've ever talked to too.

This year, I have no relationship at all with the coaches, my first year, my head coach was also my history teacher and a general nice guy and my assistant was a nice guy as well. The senior coaches are more strict and stuff and I have no relationship whatsoever with them, so I'll have to adjust.

Yeah I used to go 2 days working out, one day break and on and on like that. Now I think I'll do 4-5 days per week.

Also, last year I loved my coaches, and I'll be the last to criticize anything any of my coaches do but the dude playing safety next to me had no idea how to play football, he missed tackles everywhere, couldn't catch and wasn't fast at all but he got so cocky from getting to start. One of the dumbest kids I've ever talked to too.

This year, I have no relationship at all with the coaches, my first year, my head coach was also my history teacher and a general nice guy and my assistant was a nice guy as well. The senior coaches are more strict and stuff and I have no relationship whatsoever with them, so I'll have to adjust.
    Yeah, it will take time to build relationships with coaches. When on the practice field, always to your best to impress them by going all-out. Coaches love it when they see a guy who loves the game and is willing to throw his body around. They also love "low-maintenance" guys (guys who do not get in trouble off the field).

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

It is important when doing strength training to actually give your body some rest. If you do a workout focusing mainly on the upper body, the next day it would be better to work the legs to let your muscles recover. Actually working the same muscles every day could stifle the improvement in muscle strength. Our fitness coach got some training manuals from NfL sides and it was noticeable that they would work upper body on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and lower body on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday..

Quote Originally Posted by 81~BIG-GAME View Post
    It is important when doing strength training to actually give your body some rest. If you do a workout focusing mainly on the upper body, the next day it would be better to work the legs to let your muscles recover. Actually working the same muscles every day could stifle the improvement in muscle strength. Our fitness coach got some training manuals from NfL sides and it was noticeable that they would work upper body on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and lower body on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday..
    That's right. I think I mentioned above that if you continue to strain muscles day after day, you can eventually severly damage them, and your strength will be gone. Then you'll have to let them recover for a while, and by that time, your muscle mass will have dropped, and it's like you will have to start all over again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12