throwback week

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Ex-Argonaut Joe Theismann calls Williams 'disgrace to game'

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2463035

Ricky Williams will continue to play professional football with the CFL's Toronto Argonauts while he is suspended for one year by the NFL, and one high-profile ex-Argonaut isn't thrilled by the move.

Former quarterback Joe Theismann, who began his professional career with the Argonauts and later went on to star in the NFL with the Redskins, said he was "embarrassed right now to be a Toronto Argonaut" in an interview with ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd.

"I don't ever want to be mentioned in the same breath as Ricky Williams as a football player. He's a disgrace to the game. The man doesn't deserve to play football. He should go on with his life and treat his drug addictions or go do whatever he wants to do. He's been suspended from the National Football League on multiple occasions. Doesn't anybody have any class anywhere? For gosh sakes, let the kid go do what he wants to do. He doesn't want to play football," Theismann, who is part of ESPN's Monday Night Football announcing crew, said.

Williams was suspended by the NFL for the entire 2006 season following a fourth positive drug test. But the Dolphins gave him permission to play this year in the CFL, and he signed with Toronto on Sunday.

Theismann, while calling Williams a "good kid" said he believes that the running back has had too many chances.

"We have rules in the National Football League. It's real simple. Don't do drugs and you can play. It's a privilege to be able to play professional football. It's not some rite of passage. He's insulted the Miami Dolphins after they took him back and gave him a chance to play. Now he insults the intelligence of everybody that thinks that doing drugs is OK. To me, it's the wrong message to send to kids. It's the wrong thing to be doing, and the Toronto Argonauts have embarrassed themselves as an organization signing him," Theismann said.

Toronto has won the Grey Cup -- the CFL championship -- 15 times, most recently in 2004. The Argonauts were 11-7 last season.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Re: Ex-Argonaut Joe Theismann calls Williams 'disgrace to game'

I for one think he is right and the drug policy isn't tough enough.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The issue isn't so much whether marijuana ought to be allowed, but whether it is. If your company has a drug policy and you agree to abide by it, it doesn't matter whether it's a policy you agree with. By the same token, though, if the average joe failed a couple drug tests he wouldn't be forbidden to work for any other company in the industry. I don't see anything wrong with letting him join the Argonauts.

Besides, the NFL forced him to come back. They're even making him pay back bonuses the Saints gave him. He really got the shaft on that. He had no choice but to come back. I do agree with Theisman on one thing, though. The NFL should just let him go. Hand him his paycheck, call the debt even, and let him go practice holistic medicine or whatever.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, I'll agree with you on that. Marijuana isn't going to make anybody a better football player, and alcohol and tobacco both are probably as bad or worse for a person's health. I believe it's considered habit-forming but not physically addictive. Just like any habit, it can be taken to excess or it can be controlled, and most if not all side effects are extremely short-term.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

It's amazing that the Dolphins continually allow him to be a disruption and a distraction. I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Rams, regardless of what his abilities are.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    The issue isn't so much whether marijuana ought to be allowed, but whether it is. If your company has a drug policy and you agree to abide by it, it doesn't matter whether it's a policy you agree with. By the same token, though, if the average joe failed a couple drug tests he wouldn't be forbidden to work for any other company in the industry. I don't see anything wrong with letting him join the Argonauts.

Besides, the NFL forced him to come back. They're even making him pay back bonuses the Saints gave him. He really got the shaft on that. He had no choice but to come back. I do agree with Theisman on one thing, though. The NFL should just let him go. Hand him his paycheck, call the debt even, and let him go practice holistic medicine or whatever.
    its not even that dude, its just because the NFL thinks that ya know he's a known player, and a good player at that, and they can get some sales from jerseys for the next season he'll be playing. It all comes down to money, no matter what, MONEY TALKS. Thats just how the world goes around, but I agree with Theissman simply for the rules. I HATE when people disobey, especially when it is infact a priviledge to play pro ball. It is a disrespect to everyone regarding the NFL...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't think Ricky has the passion to play football. He really didn't here at UT, he was on a baseball scholarship like Cedric Benson was.

I was wrong earlier when I thought he paid his loan back to the Dolphins, he still owes money according to Bucky on AM 1300 the Zone here in Austin. Bucky Geyboldt was the RB coach here at UT when Ricky was here and is adamant about two things: 1. He's the most talented RB he's ever seen 2. Ricky Williams could care less about football.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

1. Thiesmann needs to keep is mouth shut, and comment on what he knows about.

2. Ricky wasn't suspended for using Weed

3. For all we know he could have been suspended for taking cold medicine. If you didn't know it contains banned substances in it's ingredients. In fact most over the counter drugs do.

4. It could have been an herbal supplement, No one knows cause they don't release that information, to us.

I know cause I was once a college athlete. If Ricky didn't want to play football, and was lazy trust me he wouldn't be playing for the Argo's. He wouldn't have even come back to play for the Dolphins. It's funny to me how the media spins something and people side with the media's side without knowing any of the facts. Now personally I'm not a Ricky Williams fan. But if anybody listened to any of his interviews after he came back from his 1 year suspension. He said he no longer uses mind alltering drugs.

Also if you didn't know most football players are juicing or taking some sort of enhancement drugs. You have to. These guys are healing at a rapid pace. Hence the juice. You have to, to be able to compete and heal at the rate these athletes do. Why do you think so many players are blowing out their knees?

Anyway I'm new to this forum but have been a rams fan since they were in L.A. So I'm an OG. Sorry this had to be my first post, but I hate to see athletes get dogged by the media and it's personalities. Like I said Joe should keep his mouth shut, and discuss what he knows.

Cool post 3000, keep bringing your input.

Welcome jjigga.

The problem with Ricky Williams is not what he does to get suspended, but that he gets suspended on a regular basis, for whatever rules violations. If he was only affecting himself, that would be one thing, but he has a pattern of making commitments to his team, his teammates and his coaches, then lapsing into irresponsible behavior and failing to live up to those commitments. We'll see what happens in Canada.

mike, I agree that what he does effects not only him but the entire Dolphin organization. That's why they drafted Ronnie Brown last season in the first round. However, the dollar amounts associated with this is so high (8 million I believe), that I feel the Dolphins should just cut bait and get on with their season. Let Ricky go, he isn't going to change. Listening to the people on sports talk radio here that know the guy, they are insistent that he isn't going to change. He doesn't really like football, he's just going through the motions because he's broke.

It is sometimes very hard to understand the whole situation. It's all on the Dolphins though, obviously they feel Ricky is worth the trouble and the risk.

Milan Guest

If Ricky is into Smoking pot rather than playing football, screw him. I'll watch more games because he's exciting to see especially in a league inferior to the NFL. But honestly now, rules are put up for a reason. The Dolphins are fine without him the Argos are fine without him, football is much better off without him.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Williams' absence for whatever reason, isn't going to bring the NFL to a screeching halt. There are people past and present, associated with the NFL who have done and are doing, far worse than Ricky.

To call him a disgrace to the game of football, is one very average 'Colour' commentator with taste for wasted hyperbole, making some noise for himself in the offseason.

Williams knows that smoking pot will get him canned from the NFL, and whilst Pot doesn't rank very high on my personal list of misdemeanours (I'm not starting a debate on that either), if he continues to do so it's fairly stupid of him, no more than that.

Lets not get this situation, or Williams himself out of proportion by dramatically labelling him a 'disgrace'.

CanadianRam! Guest

As a guy living in Toronto, I have no clue why we even signed Ricky Williams. He failed the drug test four times...he's had more than a second chance, so why take a chance on him? I think this is just a way to sell more tickets for the Argos by getting a big name in Williams.