Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: my high school team.

Sounds like fun you guys. Congrats on your win RP16. Just remember, it is good to lose some of the games. It builds character and determination.

I was talking to the kid next door yesterday. He plays football for the local high school team. I am going to go check out their first home game tomorrow. It should be fun. I have not watched high school football in a long time.

Good luck with your games.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Actually there was 40 players, but the guy that runs the league decide to have two teams that play for our town instead of 1, so there was 20 guys on each team, but 3 guys on my team quit..... some of us have to play the whole time and they only have breathers during timeouts and half time.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I'm quite jealous of all you guys. My school had football, but cancelled it for some stupid reason. That money then went to our godly hockey team who won 28 straight state and division championships. Now that we want a football team back, they won't give the money to us. I think that I could play on the defense. The one spot that I really would want to play is center. Don't think I'm big enough though. 5-11/6'0 155lbs. Hoping that I can be part of the .111111111% of players who make it as walk-ons in college.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Unless you have a small team, I don't think you can play center, but the last team we played, their center was about 130 pounds and our d line demolished them, our whole d line together had 14 sacks, one kid had 8 by himself, so he took my spotlight, lol! But if that's your weight and height, you could play saftey, or tight end if you have hands, maybe weakside line backer is you can pack on a few pounds IMO
    Built RAM tough

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

My High School team is 4 - 0!
    RamsFan16

Milan is offline Registered User

I just had practise, some kid kicked me in the nuts, and gave me two cheap tackles from behind and drove my head into the ground, so I got pissed the next time, shouldered him and tackled him, even though I was the one that was supposed to take the hits.

After that someone led in with their helmet and hit me in my hand, it's swollen now, and my shoulders also swollen from not getting low enough on a tackle. First game next friday.

bigredman is offline Registered User

RP16...sounds like you belong in the DE as opposed to the DT position. Your tackle stats are VERY GOOD. As far as being a LB, I would have to see your 40 times plus lateral and agility speed (ability to cover sideline to sideline and covering a TE or back going into a pass pattern). 9% body fat is good. You are a freshman, so I wouldn't want you balking up at this point (health concerns). Besides, it obviously helps your speed and burst being lighter which has resulted in good movement (resulting in your good stats for tackles and sacks). Keep working on bulking up your legs (as your coach has told you, tackling is in the legs), and improve your upper body strength. In other words, hit the weights. However, STAY AWAY FROM STEROIDS! Run a lot, and be a fitness fanatic (aerobics will build your stamina, and dancing will help your agility). Work hard in school, be serious about your grades and athletics. Your hard work may result in a scholarship. I envy you. Don't worry about the score. That's for the coaches to pull their hair out over. Just soak in all the lights, the sounds, the pain, your teammates, your coaches, every tackle, every celebration, and you'll have memories to last you a lifetime!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Thanks BRM, don't worry I will never take steriods... As for my last game, we were winning 7-0 at halftime, because I sacked the QB and he fumbled and the DT picked it up and ran it back 60 yards for the touchdown... Unfortuntly the defense was on the field 90% of the time, we forced 6 first half turnovers, 3 INT's and 3 FF, we just got so worn out because the offense only got 2 firstdowns the whole game. The thing that pissed me off the most was when they scored 1 touchdown, the coach got so mad at us, he put in the backups, and we were winning by an extra point! And the backups allowed 2 more touchdowns, and we lost 20-7, I had 7 tackles, a FF, and a sack and a half, not a bad game for me, but its a team effort, and we are working on it in practice! Thanks for your support!!! I will keep you updated!! GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!
    Built RAM tough

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I figured I'd ask you guys this, since you guys play football and know more about this than I do. I'm trying to bulk up my upper body because I have no upper body strength, yet I have tons of lower body strength. I've been trying to do sit-ups and push-ups every night. I do about 50 sit-ups a night, and right now I'm up to a pathetic 26. (I do up to a certain number for a week and then I add anywhere from 2-4 to my total that I need to do). What would you guys suggest for putting on this extra muscle and weight that I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    I figured I'd ask you guys this, since you guys play football and know more about this than I do. I'm trying to bulk up my upper body because I have no upper body strength, yet I have tons of lower body strength. I've been trying to do sit-ups and push-ups every night. I do about 50 sit-ups a night, and right now I'm up to a pathetic 26. (I do up to a certain number for a week and then I add anywhere from 2-4 to my total that I need to do). What would you guys suggest for putting on this extra muscle and weight that I'm looking for.

You could keep doing pushups, but I don't find it as fun as lifting weights, for pushups put your hands in closer if you want to get more muscle on your arms and farther apart for...I don't know what the muscle is called but you'll feel it if you do them farther apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Get a lot of protein into your body, as well as vitamin E and B12. There are plenty of supplements at GNC (protein shakes, vitamins). Stay away from steroids and creatine. Push ups are good, but weights are better, especially free weights (not attached to cables). Here are some of the weight routines I used when I was younger:

1. With barbell, lay on bench and lift weight from chest quickly and lower slowly. Large weight with two reps of 10, small weight 10 reps of 10.
    2. With barbell, while standing or sitting, lift weight from chest to overhead, back down behind head, lift back up overhead, then down to chest. Continue to alternate. Determine whatever weight you can do one rep of 10 but barely. (Same with the following).
    3. With barbell, bend over forward so your upper body is parallel to ground, and pick up bar by bending elbows to chest quickly and lower slowly. 1 rep of 10 each.
    4. With barbell while standing, lift bar with arms straight without bending elbows from thighs to neck then to overhead and back. one rep of 10.
    5. With barbell, curl bar up and down with elbows two reps of 10 with palms forward, then another with palms down.
    (dumbbells are one arm at a time)
    6. With dumbbells while standing, lift weights from side of thighs with arms straight away from your side over your head two sets of ten.
    7. With dumbbells, while bent forward keeping you upper body parallel to floor, lift weight by bending your elbows from your arm pointing down to as far behind your back as you can two reps of 10.
    8. With dumbbells, with arms straight away from body, lift weight from thigh straight out from your side up over your head two reps of 10.
    9. Laying on back, with dumbbells, arms straight out to your sides. Lift weight with arms straight outward from floor to click above your head, lowering slowly two reps of 10.
    10. With dumbbells, run in place while pumping you arms with the elbows with hands pointing up and down (your thumbs up, pinky down) for 15 minutes as vigorously as you can.

Do this 3 to 4 times a week.
    Start with this, and I'll give you more as you report your progress.
    Last edited by bigredman; -09-30-2006 at 09:50 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keep in mind though that lower body is more important for tackling because of the leverage. You need upper body strength but you need more lower body strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    Keep in mind though that lower body is more important for tackling because of the leverage. You need upper body strength but you need more lower body strength.
    Agreed, as I stated earlier in this thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Keep working on bulking up your legs (as your coach has told you, tackling is in the legs)
    While all of the basics (offense and defense) in football require leg strength, its the upper body that often gives you the advantage!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maybe you can help me out, BRM.

I'm about 5'10" 120lbs, as you can see, I'm pretty undersized, also I'm not exactly the fastest guy out there. I think I may be playing cornerback but I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with the WRs.

When me and friends play outside, I can tackle people more than 40-60lbs heavier than me because I use a different technique, but it doesn't always work, I don't use the "proper" one because since I'm undersized it makes it hard for me to lift people, I don't have any weights at my house or a weight room in my building, my school has a weight room but by the time I'm done with practise I'm dead and can't use it.

I need help with covering man on man, and tackling "properly"

I think I understand the technique on tackling

1. Hit the guy with your shoulder pads in the gut
    2. wrap hands around his waist and don't let go
    3. Lift him forward and push until he goes down

The problem is, I doubt I can lift a 170+guy with 10lbs of equipment on him while he has more momentum going forward. So that's what I need help with, also it's kinda hard for me to get wider because whatever weight I gain, its going towards height right now.

So can you help me out with Covering a fast WR, while you're slower than him and tackling a guy properly while weaker.

I want to play FS but I'm not gonna question the coaches decisions because they probably know what they're doing and are putting me at CB for a reason.

Maybe there's some free instructional videos floating around the web?
    Last edited by Milan; -09-30-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Milan...You seem to doubt your quickness of foot and burst speed to stay with a WR playing the CB position. Don't give up on that so quickly. Playing defense, especially corner requires self confidence bordering on egotistical. You are the man. No one can beat me. I'm going to ruin you you punk attitude. Practice short sprints. Get down in crouch positions, hands forward, and burst back wards 10 yards as fast as you can. Then swivel hips and cross step and run full out left. Do the same thing but ending up running full out right. Playing corner is all about keeping focused on the receiver. Don't take you eyes off the guy until you see his eyes widen and hands go up. You can either play the man (put your hand between his and block the pass) or you can play the interception (turn your head and go for the ball). This usually requires at least a quarter to go for interception (unless its really a suck ass pass, and you know where you stand with the receiver in ability). If your are playing man to man, then bump and run is best. Get a good hard check on the receiver at the line of scrimmage. You must make his stutter step at the line with you hit. If you can't, back off and play him 7 to 10 yards from scrimmage. Your first step must be forward, but anticipate his speed and turn to run with him quickly. In a zone, you play off the guy and release once the guy breaks out of your zone.

It sounds like you prefer free or strong safety given your tackling ability. Remember, tackling is hitting the guy by aiming your helmet right in the middle of the ball carrier. Your head will naturally slide to one side or the other (preferably to the forward progress of the ball carrier). Trying to tackle with the shoulder usually results in arm tackles and you slide off and miss the tackle. Don't do it. Aim with your head up and just below where his numbers are in the belly. Trust me. Watch the ball runner's hips. That will tell you where he is going. Ignore the shoulder and head. When you hit the SOB, keep your legs going and churning. Tackling is all about the legs. Drive through the guy like you are running an offensive play as a running back in short yardage. Low and hard no matter how big the guy is. Don't worry about lifting. Just keep the legs driving and wrap up and grab whatever you can. His waist, his leg, his balls. By keeping you head up and driving your legs, your tackle will be kept up as well, and you won't slide down.
    Last edited by bigredman; -10-01-2006 at 02:59 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast