Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Book of SpiralHorns III: Rise of the Clan (Prologue)

Book of SpiralHorns III: Rise of the Clan (Prologue)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the outer regions of the Homeland, all is quiet. The sounds of battle are mere echoes now, waning to a whisper. For this is the time of the calm, the moments of rest between the wars.

On a bleak hill a lone figure rides cloaked, head bowed as if in mourning. His movement is aimless, neither striving toward a destination nor moving away from any location with any marked deliberation. It is a gait of sorrow and remorse.

The head of this cloaked figure rises slightly, eyes drawn involuntarily to the sight of dwellings standing above the horizon. These dwellings draw the figure forward.

Upon reaching the dwellings a welcome is given. "My name is Dez of the family Urbanos. I am Chieftain of this realm." Other names are given - Texramaes, Troutan the Obsidian, JRamnon.

"You bear the mark of the Legion," Dez Urbanos states "by what name are you known?"

The lone figure speaks. "I have been known by many names, but the one which I must now bear is The Deceiver. For I am the bringer of false hopes. My visions have deserted me, and the Legions no longer heed my words."

"No!" A voice shouted from the crowd.

All eyes turned as a figure emerged from the crowd.

"My name is RamFanius, and I know this one who calls himself the Deceiver." He turned toward the lone figure and stated "My friend, your eyes have been clouded with falsehoods. The trials of the Legions have merely obscured your visions - and those who revel in despair have turned you from your true role. But look upon these dwellings and these fine SpiralHorns, and tell me... what do you see?"

The lone figure peered forward and saw the multitude of SpiralHorns - joined together in this time of the calm. This was not a mere Legion of warriors. It was a family... a Clan. And in this clarity another vision appeared - words seen before, now visible above as if scrawled upon the sky itself.

FAS DIFFITOR FIERRI REDEMPTO

Destiny denied must be redeemed.

The lone figure removes his cloak.

"I am AvengerRam of the Legion of SpiralHorns. Beware the armies of the lands. The age of the Clan of SpiralHorns has begun!"

In the Golden Age of Spiralhorns, an avenger was born. His name... was AvengerRam.

Opening Line of "The Book of SpiralHorns"

Chapter 1: The Prophesy of Threes

Chapter 1: The Prophesy of Threes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AvengerRam stepped forth from his dwelling. Though the dwindling day was still warm, a cool breeze brushed across his face, drawing his eyes to the wind's origin; grey clouds approaching from beyond the open field. A storm is coming, he thought.

And it came to pass that AvengerRam made his home among the great SpiralHorn Clan. His wanderings now ceased, the Bard found peace among them.

This calm brought clarity as well. And soon, the sight AvengerRam thought had departed him returned once again. He saw the past with clarity. Failings became lessons, diminishing fear of repetition.

Then in the shadow of sleep, AvengerRam's mind's eye peered toward the time to come and, in a whisper, he perceived a prophesy:

The Age of Gold, at dusk not yet
    through signs of threes, goals can be met

On fields of battle, three twins to meet
    Of city and face, scores to complete

Three mountains' challenge, each born of pride
    One must soon yield, two must subside

Three men of strength, three brash and bold
    Three fleet of foot, resistance's fate they hold

Three spirits true, wounds healed, hearts strong
    To fight each day, to start each longs

Thrice times a summit, left in glory then rage
    Third time completes, a Golden Age

Awaken now, the time draws near
    Search for the threes, all will be clear

AvengerRam's eyes opened to the sound of two visitors. "Hail and welcome, Dez Urbanos and TexRamaes," AvengerRam said as he recognized his esteemed guests.

Urbanos spoke: "My friend, the warriors are gathering from throughout the homeland. We have come to ask that you join us on the Counsel."

TexRamaes added: "The time draws near. We must now gather the Legion and prepare for battle."

AvengerRam replied: "This great honor, I accept."

Urbanos and TexRamaes departed, continuing their task of gathering the SpiralHorns in preparation for the quest for glory soon to commence.

A cool breeze brushed accross the face of AvengerRam, drawing his eyes to the wind's origin; grey clouds approaching from beyond the open field. A storm is coming, he thought...and smiled.

Chapter 2: Dissent of the Loyalists

Chapter 2: Dissent of the Loyalists
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It is a restless time throughout the lands, as armies venture from their proving grounds and engage one another, testing their strength for the true battles that lie ahead. The Legion prepares as well, merging warriors young and old into a fighting unit.

And as the SpiralHorns prepared to seek out rivals, it came to pass that Dez Urbanos called for AvengerRam, and spoke. "The Legion gathers, but is not one," he said, "a great champion does not fight at our sides."

"I know of whom you speak," the Bard replied, "the Giant, Orlandos, is indeed most conspicuous in his absence."

"Indeed," Urbanos exclaimed, "and so you must seek him out and implore him to return."

AvengerRam asked "this task, I would accept, of course, but am I the one this task should choose?"

"Have faith, my friend. Orlandos' pride matches his mountainous stature, it is true. But you know that bonds of pride can severed with the blade of loyalty," Dez assured, "convey this, and he will yield."

AvengerRam knew at once...

Three mountains challenge, each born of pride, one must yield, two must subside.

...this task was, indeed, his.

As AvengerRam departed on his quest, the Legion marched forth from the homeland to test itself in battle. Near the sea of the setting sun, the obsidian clad marauders were met. The Great Captain lead the initial charge, but twice was thwarted and pushed back. The marauders could not penetrate the Legion's front line, though, and the SpiralHorns struck back. This time, lead by Marcalger, the young brigade leader. And while defeat of the marauders evaded the young leader as well, his charges cut more deeply into the battle lines of the enemy. Upon the day's end, no clear victor emerged.

And so the Legion marched back to the homeland. Within the ranks, a discussion both ominous and hopeful could be heard.

"The time draws near." Elackles stated.

"Yes" Thoeylos agreed, "but to some these words would be deemed treason."

"That cannot be!" Ramnatorax interjected, "How can it be treason to place the Legion above its singular leaders."

"Agreed" Theoylos said, "we must seek out others to support him - there are those who believe that there are those among the Great Council, Texramaes even, who are on the side of change."

"We must not underestimate the support of the Great Captain" Elakles added "but how many times will triumph evade us behind his lead before others will embrace our dissent?"

This question went unanswered among the Loyalists, and the Legion marched forward toward the homeland.

Chapter 3: The Tide of War

Chapter 3: The Tide of War
    "Then it is decided," Urbanos exclaimed, "the tide of war is upon us, and we will no longer resist its embrace. The Legion is at war!"

As the cheers rang out, none among the Great Council or the multitudes of SpiralHorns felt surprise. The skirmishes throughout the lands had grown fierce. The Legion had fought off an invasion of the Scarlett Pirates, but fine warriors were lost. More casualties were suffered in a failed campaign against the Herdsmen of the Northeast. However, in both skirmishes, the exploits of the Great Captain were celebrated among the Legion. For now, the voices of the Loyalists grew quiet.

The cheers soon dissipated, replaced by the rumblings of surprised voices as a Giant strode into the Outland stronghold of the Clan, accompanied by a familiar figure. AvengerRam spoke: "returned to the Legion is Orandos. We must welcome him." The Clan cheered - though not without exception.

In the days that followed, the Homeland was again invaded, this time by the Tribal Warriors of the West. While the casualties were minor, the message of this latest attack was clear: the Legion must seek out its enemy.

The Great Council met with a new purpose. And in the end the decision was made to march east to confront an old foe and rival. The Legion would attack the Leviathans of the East.

Chapter 4: The Words of Texrameas

Chapter 4: The Words of Texrameas
    The hearts of the Legion were heavy as they withdrew from the Eastern battlefield and began their slow march toward the homeland. On this day, wave after wave of Leviathan attacks penetrated the battle lines of the SpiralHorns, and the Great General waivered and seemed powerless to impede the onslaught. In the end, the Legion tasted bitter defeat, and the Great Captain lay among the wounded, his future ability to lead in question.

The Loyalists found their goal met, but their minds ill at ease. Surely, none wished this manner of change in the leadership of the SprialHorns. Texramaes, above all, was torn by this turn of events, and sought the council of AvengerRam.

"In my heart, I feel as though the turning of the tide is a favorable one, though I wish no evil upon the Captain." Texrameas declared.

"Fear not, my friend," AvengerRam replied. "In my vision of the prophesy of this season of warfare, these words came to me..."

Three mountains challenge, each born of pride, one must yield, two must subside.

"Don't you see?" AvengerRam continued, "Orlandos was the first mountain, and his pride yielded when he returned to the Legion. Now the mountainous pride of the General and the Captain must subside so that a new leader can emerge."

As they spoke, a scout rode into the ranks of the Legion with news: "Our old foe, the Crimson Miners of the West, camp near the borders of the Homeland, poised to strike."

AvengerRam proclaimed: "Don't you see, Texramaes, this has all been foretold. The Legion will not be lead by those who cling to the past without concern for the future. Rather, it will be lead by the true Loyalists."

Texramaeas knew what to do. He climbed upon a hill overlooking the marching Legion and shouted: "Hear me now my Clan! We have known defeat, but none should hang their heads! Our foes are worthy, but we will come together and fight on! We are not individuals with singular goals - we are the Clan of SpiralHorns, and we will together fight as one for the goals of the many! Our hated nemises waits for us at the Homeland. Embrace this challenge with me, and ride on to glory!"

A great cheer arose from the Legion, their gait quickening toward the West.

Chapter 5: A New Challenge

Chapter 5: A New Challenge
    And so the Legion went forth into battle against the Crimson Miners - the young Captain leading the SpiralHorns' charge. And the day of battle was long and hard fought. The Miners gained the upper hand at first, but the Legion battled back. The Miners made a desparte failing effort to win the day, but in the end the Homeland was defended, and the Legion celebrated a much needed triumph.

But the rejoicing was cut short by the sound of laughter, as a stranger wandered into the midst of the of the SpiralHorn camp.

"You mistakenly believe the SpiralHorns have gained a measure of supremacy in the lands of the West." The stranger announced, "But a new threat awaits you by the Northwest Sea, where the Raptors defy the Legion with boasts of their destruction of the armies of the Southern Paladins and the Red Warriors of the Desert."

"No," the stranger added, "you do not rule the West... not yet."

The stranger disappeared into the fog as quickly as he had arrived.

No words needed to be spoken to reach agreement on the task now at hand. The Legion marched West.

Chapter 6: An opportunity lost; A warrior falls

Chapter 6: An opportunity lost; A warrior falls
    The battle was joined on the fields of the Northwest, as Spiralhorns and Raptors grappled for the supremecy of the West. And for most of the day, the Legion held the advantage, and looked poised to claim dominion in the home of their foe.

But then, in a moment that otherwise would have passed without notice, a SpiralHorn warrior was carried off the the battlefield. And the Legion recoiled in the realization that the great warrior Sir Marshales had been struck down.

As the Legion regrouped, the Raptors struck back and as the sun set on this day of battle, victory eluded the Legion and they were forced into retreat.

The long road back to the Homeland was marred with internal conflict. Many sought to lay the blame of this day of lost opportunity that the feet of the General, while others pointed toward the Captain. Old rivalries within the Legion were renewed, erupting as Troutan the Obsidian and his nemises Fortunos the MinerSlayer challenged each other.

RamTimeus calmed the Legion with his words. "My friends, to not give in to despair and anger. This day was lost to us, and the West in not yet ours. But the journey is long, and it has just begun. We are the Legion, and we should go forth with pride."

The Spiralhorns heeded these words, and continued toward the Homeland.

Chapter 7: Defending the Homeland

Chapter 7: Defending the Homeland
    The days were turning cooler as the embers of early battles througout the land erupted like a boiling caldron. And as the armies of the many lands raged, the Legion held strong in its homeland.

The first incursion came from the Red Desert Warriors of the Southwest. But the proud SpiralHorns fought valiantly and, at days end, the invaders were demoralized and routed.

Then, with many eyes throughout the land watching, the Legion met the Dark Falconers of the Southeast. But this old foe proved no match, and the homeland remained secure.

Rejoicing was brief as word came that the Emerald Bay Brigade was marching on the homeland. Many minds within the Clan of SpiralHorns regarded the impending battle as the first true test of the Legion in its recent defense of the Homeland.

And so, AvengerRam spoke unto the Legion, and said: "Sound your battle cries, my friends. We shall defend the homeland once more, and destroy our attackers as they come. And we shall then march forth and show the armies of the many lands that it is the Legion of SpiralHorns who stand ready to put fear in their hearts!"

The wind blew from the North. The Emerald Bay Brigade would arrive soon.

Chapter 8: Troutan the Obsidian

Chapter 8: Troutan the Obsidian
    The Emerald Bay Brigade was defeated, but not without cost. The Legion lost several warriors that day, leaving their ranks thin.

And so, the Great Council met to debate the future of the SpiralHorns. Some voices expressed trepidation, and urged the leaders to elect to fortify the ramparts and wait until reinforcements could arrive. Others, aglow with the fire of the victories in the recent battles for the homeland, chided the doomsayers and questioned their conviction.

In the end, though, the clearest voice of the debate came from the Chieftain Troutan the Obsidian. Though his words were of caution, and he staunchly questioned the seeming failure of some to reign in their optimism, it were his words of heart and spirit that rang most true:

"My friends," Troutan exclaimed, "there is much to debate even among a Clan such as this. And the issues we discuss shall not and need not be resolved on this day. I implore each of you instead to look into yourselves and focus your hearts and minds on that which we share. We are the Clan of SprialHorns. We each joined and stay loyal to this Legion for reasons that are personal, yet common in the elements of loyalty and passion. This is what binds us together."

Heartened by these words, the Legion's spirits soared, and all agreed that the SpiralHorns would not simply wait for the battle to come to it, it would take the battle to its foes.

The Council considered many options, and in the end decided that an old foe would be challenged.

And so the Legion marched to the City of Steel.

Chapter 9: The Scarlet Endgame

Chapter 9: The Scarlet Endgame
    The rain fell upon the Steel City, but the spirits of the SpiralHorns remained undampened. Though away from the Homeland, the Legion fought with pride and ferocity, and emerged victorious once more.

The Young Captain had firmly secured his place at the helm of the Legion, and few, even those loyal to the great leader of the past, challenged his ascension.

Indeed, it was in these days that the Clan began to view itself in a new light. Whereas in days past a few brave champions lead the way with the support of those around them, emerging now was a true collective. No one piece reigned as the lynchpin of the Legion. Rather, as one piece fell in battle, others rose up, often from obscurity, to fight and maintain the march of the SpiralHorns.

Thus, at the end of the Steel City battle, when news arose of casualties, none fell into despair. Instead, the Legion stood with confidence that those with wounds healed, and those who had waited behind the battle lines, would take the place of the fallen.

As the Legion marched West, word came from the scouts that the Scarlet Miners had met defeat in the SouthWestern Desert, and were limping back to their territory.

Dez Urbanos contemplated this news and proclaimed: "My brave SpiralHorns. We must take on our mortal enemy now. There shall be no better time than now to end their challenge in the Western Territories. We must strike hard and show no mercy. It is time for the Scarlet Miners to fall!!! This shall be their endgame!"

A great cheer rose from the ranks of the Legion, and all set their sights on their wounded rival.

Chapter 10: The Trials of Autumn

Chapter 10: The Trials of Autumn
    Two days had passed since the Legion suffered defeat at the hands of an old rival. Clouds darkened the hearts and minds of SpiralHorns, as they pondered the ambush and destruction that unexpectedly awaited them in the Baylands of the Scarlett Miners.

Now, back in the Homeland, AvengerRam sat and, for the first time since the battles began, felt weary. Behind the Legion were many days of fighting along a path that took the SpiralHorns far away from the calm of the Summer. From this vantage point, those quiet days, along with the Winter days when the final prize would be won, seemed distant and remote.

It was at that moment that word came from the camps of the Homelands that three warriors wounded in past battles would return and join the fray. The great Champion Marshales, Archos the Brave, and the swift-footed Polleyaz each had declared themselves mended and ready.

With this news, words heard before by the Bard and Seer of the Legion came to his mind once more:

Three spirits true, wounds healed, hearts strong. To fight each day, to start each longs.

The words of the prophesy of threes continued to ring true, and with this realization, another came to AvengerRam...The SpiralHorns had not been separated from the path that destiny had placed before them. The trials of Autumn are the mere vanguard that lead to the final battles of Winter.

As this thought revitalized AvengerRam, additional word came from the scouts manning the Eastern front of the Homeland: The Darkwinged Warriors were preparing to strike.

All knew the attack would come in the night.

Chapter 11: A Stirring Within The Ramparts

Chapter 11: A Stirring Within The Ramparts
    The Darkwinged Warriors siege began in the night began in the night, as expected. The Young Captain lead the Legion in attack after attack and was thwarted at every turn. And even with the return of the Champion Marshales, who struck two early blows, the SpiralHorns' attacks failed to pierce the battle lines of their foe.

However, the futility of these attacks did not dampen the resolve of the Legion. The ramparts of the Homeland proved to be as solid as the stone from which they were built, and those manning the walls mounted a counter-attack of their own, surprising the enemy and chasing their field captain from the battlefield. And in the end, as the front line attackers faltered, the day belonged to defenders manning the ramparts.

Within these walls, though, a stirring was felt. In consecutive battles, the Young Captain had failed, and many began to whisper the name of the Great Captain of the past, now deposed.

Rising above the whisper was the voice of Yoduden, a vocal advocate of the Great Captain. He implored the General to return the leader of the past to the helm. He then spoke among the SpiralHorns as an advocate for he who would not speak on his own behalf:

"My compatriots, do not allow your mind to forget the great leader who lies dormant. The Great Captain has lead us to our greatest triumphs, and yet we have betrayed him. He gave his body's strength and health to our cause, and yet those standing before him failed to protect him. The General has turned his back on him, but we cannot. I believe the day will soon be upon us when he will lead us again. Prepare for this day."

Though these words went unheeded on this day, they echoed within the ramparts of the Homeland.

Chapter 12: The Great Captain's Sacrifice

Chapter 12: The Great Captain's Sacrifice
    On a battlefield not far from the homeland, a battle was fought. And though the Legion won the day, few rejoiced. The soldiers of the Ursus, fighting in their homeland, had nearly defeated the SpiralHorns, and only through two risky assaults did the Legion ultimately gain the upper hand.

In the midst of battle, recent stirrings rose to the level of a clamor. The General approached the deposed Great Captain in desparation. But rather than responding with hubris, the Great Captain urged the General to stay the course with his young counterpart. And though, with the General's heeding of this advice, the Legion triumphed at day's end, the Great Captain's sacrifice puzzled many.

Some questioned the heart of the Captain. But those who know him scoffed at the absurdity of such challenges. Some marveled at his selflessness, though many were not certain the choice made was the right one.

Throughout the lands, other battles were fought, The Scarlett Miners reigned triumphant, and the Raptors of the NorthWest as well, but the vulnerablity of their forces remained apparent.

And so the Legion continued on in its quest. Facing challenges from their foes and from within.

But none among the SpiralHorns would ever forget the Captain's sacrifice.

Chapter 13: Debates Within; Forces Abound

Chapter 13: Debates Within; Forces Abound
    A long day in the desert. A battle that began as a rout, nearly became a defeat, and then ended in triumph. The Legion was victorious once more, but again many regarded the conquest as a hollow success.

Debate regarding the leadership on the fields of battle continued, but the General would not relent, favoring the Young Captain.

The SpiralHorns marched North back to the Homeland. The scouts of the Legion reported that the Norsemen of the Twin Citidels of the Lakelands were poised to strike.

AvengerRam separated himself from the debates of the day and cast his eyes upon the future. He saw the SpiralHorns on their destined path, and sensed the coming of a storm. He sensed a change in the air, marked by the cooling of the air and the rapid ascent of darkness each evening. The time of the final trials was nearly at hand.

And so AvengerRam spoke to the Legion, and declared: "My friends, we must remain as one, for in the days to come, our trials will increase as the ultimate prize draws nearer. Supreme control of the Western kingdoms is within our grasp, but there is far more to accomplish. I sense a growing force in the East, an old foe clad in Emerald... raptors of war who will stand in our path. I sense a bold presence to the South, lead by a fearless and accomplished old General. I sense a new power near the oceans of the Southeast - predators that seeks the same prize we seek. We must draw together and prepare for the battles that lie ahead."

AvengerRam perceived that many among the Legion appreciated the meaning of his words, but this perception was nearly overshadowed by the din of the debates, raging on without end.

Chapter 14: Familar Faces, Familiar Places

Chapter 14: Familar Faces, Familiar Places
    The Norsemen of the Twin Citidels came to the Legion's Homeland in bold defiance of the SpiralHorns. But at days end, they departed in awe of the power of the Legion.

And so, word travelled among the lands of the SpiralHorns' feats, and many among the lands wondered aloud whether the Legion might again threaten to reign supreme.

The Legion was not the only power rising at this time, though. Familiar faces and warriors in familiar places also ascended at this time, and prepared to stand in the Legion's path.

In the East, the Emerald Raptors, a force with whom the Legion had battled throughout the Golden Age was nearing victory over its rivals. And many among the SpiralHorns believed that ultimate victory could not be achieved without facing this old foe once more.

To the West, the former leader of the Legion, who departed the SpiralHorns after their greatest triumph, had build a force of savage warriors that had decimated its foes in recent days. The Great General of the Legion often thought to himself and wondered whether his old friend and mentor would stand in his path toward the ultimate goal.

To the South, the Titan Army had regained its power, and looked to dispatch its chief rival. Surely, though, revenge against the Legion, who had defeated this Army at the dawn of the Golden Age, burned within their hearts.

But for now, the Legion's attention turned to the North, where a challenge arose in the land of the Legion's birth. There, warriors clad in umber chanted defiance toward the SpiralHorns.

In the cover of night, the Legion would strike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast