Letters to Soldiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letters to Soldiers

I belong to a sci-fi related forum, and one of the other members there, a staunch bush supporter, announced several weeks ago that his only son joined the US Army, and asked everyone there to post a note to help him deal with the things he is going through.

As of today, only 25 of over 3,600 people have posted anything.

Most of you guys here know I disagree with the war in Iraq. I still wished Jonathan well. He didn't start this war. Jonathan volunteered to do a lousy job, a job most people couldn't do, a job no one really likes, just because he felt it is his responsibility as an American to serve his fellow man.

I just posted a major rant on that forum to let people know how disgusted I am. A young man has decided to go into service for the benefit of people he knows, as well as millions of other people he will never meet. Only 25 people have said "thank you". If I can overlook my political feelings about the war and tell him I respect his decision, respect him as a man, and respect his selfless sacrifice, then why can't others?

I thought I would do something nice, and ask my fellow ClanRam members to post something here, just a little note, and I would send the link to Jonathan's father so he in turn could forward it to Jonathan. I'm sure that Jonathan would like to hear that people everywhere appreciate his decision, no matter how they feel about the war.

Here is a pic of Jonathan and his father:
    temp_4394_1467243487543_20
    RAMS!

Re: Letters to Soldiers

No War is really good Sam,and we dont want to fight them,but if we dont? we dont keep our Freedom.Its better to fight them over there than here.Remember.We didnt start it.
    kudos to that young man for recognizing his heart felt duty.Now whats the site and I'll give him a good Rep.We need alot more like him.

Comment

Re: Letters to Soldiers

Thanks Sam...please send this on to him...many thanks.

Jonathan,

Thank You for your willingness to join our ranks and serve our county and its citizens so selflessly. Keep your chin up, follow the guidance of your leadership, watch your lane, and come home safely. Take pride in serving and feel good that you are making a difference in someone's life; whether they tell you so or not. Best of luck and God speed soldier.

SFC Rob Aldrich

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• fearlessone
        Katrina - Bagdad on the Bayou
        by fearlessone
        I am an evacuee and I have to say how lucky I am to be in the group of a small percentage people as my home probably suffered minimal damage.

I have to say I felt pretty shallow after complaining about the nine hour drive in parking lot traffic to drive less than 250 miles then witness the fact that no water, etc. was passed out w/o any presence of FEMA or the Red Cross.

Where were they?

Please do not offend me or others as we do not care about the celebs donating. I am greatly humbled and grateful for the real people that donate like my fellow clannies because it is reaL where others want to get the PR.

I can't tell you how frustrating it has been to be high and dry with power and food, etc. and to watch these poor people suffer from ineptness from every level of leadership. I am ashamed of my country and its leaders as we seem to have responded to the tsunami faster than to our own which repels me.

I can't tell you how frustrating it has been to listen about the names of business and celebs donating to various charities when no one was receiving at the very least: water. At least the local media could have been providing important info like when we can return to our homes and how everyone from the poor to the well off can make claims to gain a semblance of the life we had before this disaster. The only people who could hear their fluff are ones that are and were out of harms way.

Please write your congress reps and demand an investigation to why organization, support and love arrived so late. Also ask them to pressure Dennise Hastert for an apology or resignation for his comments for bulldozing New Orleans; and lastly and most importantly tell your leaders to support the rebuilding of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast!

Thanks,

FLO
        -09-03-2005, 11:16 PM
      • general counsel
        Respect for our troops
        by general counsel
        I note sfc is a member of our armed services. Regardless of anyones personal view of iraq or any other military conflict, i hope that everyone can join me in expressing the utmost respect and gratitude for our armed forces. I feel the same way about law enforcement. These are truly thankless jobs and to me, these people are defenders of our way of life who for relatively low material rewards, make sacrifices for all of the rest of us. In my personal experience, i have never met a member of the military (retired or active) who wasnt a person who lived by principles and codes that were role models for others.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
        -02-01-2006, 10:31 AM
      • viper
        viper hits 1000!
        by viper
        Well, it took a while, but I finally made it to 1000 posts! I know many of you have way more posts than that. But, to me, it is a milestone to be proud of.

When I think back about all of the history, the conversations, the debates, the ups and downs, the wins and loses, the free agencys and drafts and the hope that we all have shared together, I treasure them all with fond memories. You have all become my extended family and today I wouldn't know what to do without you. Thank you for allowing me to be apart of such a great group of people and passionate Rams fans. I just wanted to pause for a moment of reflection about where we all have been together before turning my sights forward to the next 1000 posts and pondering what the future holds.

This truly is the best Rams site out there and I consider you all my friends. Thanks for being there!

GO RAMS!!!

viper
        -02-25-2007, 10:17 AM
      • thoey
        Too Political?
        by thoey
        RamWraith and All in general,

RW, I am posting this openly as I am really not trying to flame you for it. You made a judgement call on what you thought was right, whether I agree or not has nothing to do with it.

That being said, I think that in the general forum, a post asking for signatures to help persuede our government to consider putting poverty and AIDS victims on our agenda is not "too much political".

Please don't get me wrong, I am not a drum beater for every cause that comes along. I just happened to see this as a ad on my mailers web page. First ad like that I have EVER clicked on cause it was interesting.

The more I read about it, especially the fact that it wasn't asking for a dime out of my pocket, but asking for a signature to try to get a dollar of my tax money sent to help, the more it was easy for me.

This wasn't a REP vs. DEM or LIB vs Greenies debate. I didn't care if anyone posted back. It was more an informational thing. Maybe ten people saw it before it was deleted, but maybe one went and clicked. That was all I was after. I wouldn't have clicked if I didn't see it.

Now, I am not going to rant about censorship or anything. I just think the trigger was a little hastily pulled in this instance.
        -05-24-2006, 08:37 PM
      • Nick
        Reminder About Posting Expectations Going Forward
        by Nick
        A recent thread was created probing possible reasons for declining activity in the forum. While a number of options were discussed, many members within the topic expressed concerns about the impact of responses which they felt were snarky, condescending, and discouraging to healthy debate.

In an effort to address those concerns, RamsNation moderators would like to make sure everyone is on the same page in this regard.

We have worked collaboratively over the years to try and define a set of forum rules that we’re satisfied with, that encapsulates what we and what we think our members expect the discourse on RamsNation to be. The first of those rules refers to profanity and civility, including the following sentence: “We expect all Rams Nation members to be civil at all times, even in heated discussions.”

Individuals may have different interpretations of what constitutes civil behavior, so for the sake of consistency, we’ll reference the dictionary definition of “courteous and polite.” Personal shots at a poster, sarcasm that is meant to put another down, an intentionally condescending or patronizing tone, or responses that serve no purpose but to derail discussions do not constitute civil discourse.

We encourage debate, and understand that fans may become heated during debates by arguing passionately in support of their opinions. However, going forward, we want to reiterate our expectation that all of these discussions and debates still remain civil and polite to ensure that members feel that their opinions have been heard, not shut down.

RamsNation moderators will do our best to watch these discussions and act when we think the line has been crossed. As Dez has discussed, if we feel something has crossed the line, we will "soft delete" the post - temporarily putting removing it so we can discuss it as a group to determine if the post should be reinstated or fully deleted. We will do our best to communicate with you the reason behind any actions we take, and encourage you to use the Flag feature to bring any problems you see to our attention.

We appreciate your contributions to our board, and thank you for choosing to participate here at RamsNation!
        -06-13-2018, 04:41 AM
      Working...
      X