Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

letting ya know a lil "personal" stuff about me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• letting ya know a lil "personal" stuff about me...

i know there are some pretty warm and decent human beings on here and also perhaps say 90% that are all about bravado( maybe too high a percentage but im just guessing)..

anyway what im saying is perhaps this isnt the place to share stuff that is important to us outside of football but i would like to become friends with as many folks as possible and at this point i would like to share something....

as some may know ive had mental health issues well aslong as i can remember(pre-teens) my mother was in a mental health hospital in L.A. when i was born...and i have bi-polar effective disorder as well as other mental health issues, anyway....for the last 5 years ive been written off in the employment stakes because of it(and maybe to a degree my brawls with cancer),its been eating me up that i havent been able to do the things i love like my Teaching...i have tried to put my self in the ground on way too many occassions because have felt that if i cant help people then,my life is meaningless....

anyway....on monday i started back as a teacher (the other areas authority wrote me off...i moved but wherever i went it was like oooooh...and altho they couldn`t visually discriminate against me,they found a way!)

to be a teacher again means the world to me and have been moved to tears in private,thinking about how ive been written off at nearly every place ive been and sometimes by myself,yet someone took a chance on me and all feedback from them so far is that they are more than pleased that they did!

sorry if this is not something youve wanted to read but i just wanted to share!

Re: letting ya know a lil "personal" stuff about me...

Many Congrats on your new teachers position.
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

thanks LA.Ram,

is not a regular teaching gig...i teach kids with mental health etc.. issues, skills like...farming,cooking,gardening etc....

have been teaching kids how to milk cows and drive tractors so far this week(the ones old enough to drive anyway..)

horse riding lessons is on the agenda for the rest of the week...have been in this field since i left the army at 23(yes being mental is a good thing in the army! ),i love it and it feels good to be back doing it!

Comment

great turn of events for you man! congratulations! Rock!

Comment

cheers dude

Comment

I love to meet people with passion. Sounds like you've got quite the passion for teaching. I like that. Good luck.
            sigpicMaybe not now, but soon.

Comment

Wow drew, that's some heavy stuff....sounds like you've had more than your share of battles....glad to see you've came out on top and continued to fight...don't ever give up and don't ever think that your life is meaningless...it only seems like that when times are at their darkest...you have people that love you, and losing you would shatter their lives

I think it's great you found somewhere you can be a mentor and teacher, I'm sure you'll do a great job...keep up the good work!

Comment

DUDE! can i be in your class? we dont have farming in s. Fla. but you never know ;) but in all seriousness im very happy for you that you got the job. congrats
                Built RAM tough

Comment

Hey Drew....the path is not always an easy one and some people are tested more than others. I am sure you have a lot to share with these kids and I am glad that you have the opportunity to teach again. I would enjoy working outdoors and with horses and animals.

Hope it goes well for you.
                  Renee
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by badmoforamfan View Post
                    I love to meet people with passion. Sounds like you've got quite the passion for teaching. I like that. Good luck.
                    when you get the reward of seeing what it means to someone that they have learnt a new skill,then the passion comes easy...

i guess the fact that im "one of them" that made it somehow,isnt lost on them ya know...

Comment

Originally posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
                      Wow drew, that's some heavy stuff....sounds like you've had more than your share of battles....glad to see you've came out on top and continued to fight...don't ever give up and don't ever think that your life is meaningless...it only seems like that when times are at their darkest...you have people that love you, and losing you would shatter their lives

I think it's great you found somewhere you can be a mentor and teacher, I'm sure you'll do a great job...keep up the good work!
                      when i done it in the past i got promoted a lot and ended up basically just in an office,the pay was a lil bit better,but i prefer to have less pay and be more hands on,interacting....

dont worry bout me talking about "my life being meaningless" etc....its just that ive learnt what helps me more than anything and thats helping kids and young adults, i dont have any family apart from 2 nieces and a sister(i see my nieces because they play their mother up if they cant come to visit me y) but my sister dont want to bother with me....stigma i guess ....

i do fight like jackie youngblood to stay well on a daily basis,is a complex thing,bi-polar ya know...

you guys think 3-13 was bad on you,combine that with being a manic depressive! lol

Comment

Originally posted by UtterBlitz View Post
                        Hey Drew....the path is not always an easy one and some people are tested more than others. I am sure you have a lot to share with these kids and I am glad that you have the opportunity to teach again. I would enjoy working outdoors and with horses and animals.

Hope it goes well for you.
                        Renee
                        hiya renee,

thank you
                        x

(had to sneak a lil kiss in,wouldnt go down so well if i tried it out on the boys! tho maybe bigred would like it....)

theres a bond with the youngsters...they can tell im "one of them" methinks...
                        rightly or wrongly i figure regular people can get by without me,i feel needed with them and thats a special feeling!

i have been off meds since november i know its not curable but deemed to be atleast containable to a degree by meds and i should be on the big combo of Lithium,mood stabilisers etc....but just had enough of taking pills after all these years ya know....needed to just be the "naked" me, warts and all so to speak ,am not better as in im fine now,but i never fail people when they need me...(well maybe i did my wife...) so i tend to only come "un-glued" at home...which is fine because waylon my ragdoll cat(have to have a part of cali with me!) likes to lick my tears!

maybe someday i`ll find another woman to hold me and stuff ya know but at this point im better off with just me and waylon....he doesnt shout when i screw things up!

drew
                        x

Comment

Originally posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
                          DUDE! can i be in your class? we dont have farming in s. Fla. but you never know ;) but in all seriousness im very happy for you that you got the job. congrats
                          cheers dude!

im hoping in the future to get a tennessee walker on the farm...dont know how well that will go done with the financial people but well they are the best horses in the world IMHO..

there are a few nice horses in the stables there,but well not a T.W!
                          Last edited by Drew; -02-21-2008, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Hey Drew I understand your desire to off meds and you may be able to control your situation, but do remember your actions and attitudes towards meds will be seen by the kids. You want to give them the best chance at dealing with their own situations and meds have a role in stablizing mental issues, as you already know.

I am glad that you have waylon there with you to keep you company.

I am hoping that you don't get BRM started in this thread. He loves attention including those scary belly dancing outfits.
                            sigpic

Comment

Pretty nice story man.
                              I do a bit of private tutoring (but it's all academics), including a kid with A.D.D., so I know it can be interesting at times helping out!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

lol must read this
                                by Guest
                                I got this from the cards M-board

Random thoughts from people 25-35 years old.

-I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

-More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can
                                think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell
                                my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

-Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
                                realize you're wrong.

-Have you ever been walking down the street and realized that you're
                                going in the complete opposite direction of where you are supposed to
                                be going? But instead of just turning a 180 and walking back in the direction
                                from which you came, you have to first do something like check your
                                watch or phone or make a grand arm gesture and mutter to yourself to
                                ensure that no one in the surrounding area thinks you're crazy by
                                randomly switching directions on the sidewalk.

-That's enough, Nickelback.

-I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

-Is it just me, or are 80% of the people in the "people you may know"
                                feature on Facebook people that I do know, but I deliberately choose
                                not to be friends with?

-Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't
                                work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically
                                fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all
                                know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards
                                or FAQ's. We just figured it out. Today's kids are soft.

-Sometimes, I'll watch a movie that I watched when I was younger and
                                suddenly realize I had no idea what the f was going on when I first saw it.

-I think everyone has a movie that they love so much, it actually
                                becomes stressful to watch it with other people. I'll end up wasting
                                90 minutes shiftily glancing around to confirm that everyone's
                                laughing at the right parts, then making sure I laugh just a little bit
                                harder (and a millisecond earlier) to prove that I'm still the only one
                                who really, really gets it.

-How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

-I would rather try to carry 10 plastic grocery bags in each hand than
                                take 2 trips to bring my groceries in.

- I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear
                                your computer history if you die.

-The only time I look forward to a red light is when I'm trying to finish a text.

- A recent study has shown that playing beer pong contributes to the
                                spread of mono and the flu. Yeah, if you suck at it.

- LOL has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

-09-04-2009, 11:19 PM
                              • general counsel
                                Sam Shields article in The Players Tribune
                                by general counsel
                                Someone please find the article by Sam Shields today in The Players Tribune online and post it to this site. It is one of the most inspirational, emotional and moving articles i have ever read. Shields describes his battles with concussions and his road back to the NFL in a way that is extremely moving and real. I am now a GINORMOUS Sam Shields fan.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                                -10-26-2018, 02:37 PM
                              • Bruce=GOAT
                                Hulk Hogan: I thank God I'm alive
                                by Bruce=GOAT
                                http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...351002,00.html

WWE wrestling news The LilsBoys' Over The Top Rope

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
                                Hogan: I thank God I'm alive

By SIMON ROTHSTEIN of THE LILSBOYS
                                August 04, 2007

WRESTLING legend Hulk Hogan has lashed out at the industry which made him a megastar.

And he has demanded an end to the decades-long cover-up of steroid abuse in the sport.

Hogan, 54, took the muscle-enhancing drugs almost daily for 16 years during his career and says he can spot a user a mile off.

With more than 100 grapplers dying before the age of 50 in the last decade, he is begging others to face up to the crisis.

The Sun has been leading an anti-steroid abuse campaign since wrestler Chris Benoit murdered his wife and seven-year-old son before committing suicide in June.

A handful of former stars have already spoken out and prompted US politicians to start investigating the industry.

But many in the WWE, the world's biggest fight franchise, deny there is a problem and have blasted their ex-colleagues as bitter failures who haven't wrestled in years.

They cannot same the same about Hogan, wrestling's equivalent of Pele or Muhammad Ali who was fighting for them just 12 months ago.

In an exclusive Sun interview, he said: "Are steroids a problem in wrestling? Oh God yeah. They have always been a part of the business. It's prevalent.

"But there's not some big mystery to it. Just open your eyes and it's there. You can look at a wrestler and pretty much tell.

"They will be above their weight range, with these big veins. My body weight is around 285lb, depending on how much junk I eat. Even if I was 25 and clean, I could probably only carry 300lb.

"Yet when I was wrestling I weighed anywhere between 320 and 340lb, because my body was full of water weight.

"My face was puffy, my arms were so bulky I couldn't touch my shoulders. You could take one look at me and know I was on something.

"Steroids have been around for ever in other sports too, but if we have to pick on somebody now then let's pick on wrestling.

"I'm glad the business is in the spotlight because they're probably the only ones smart enough, after being able to dodge it for so long, to know how to fix it."

The Hulkster added: "I remember up until the early 1990s any wrestler could walk into a doctor and they'd write you a prescription for steroids.

"Then there was a huge trial where WWE boss Vince McMahon was unfairly accused and rightly acquitted of distributing the drugs to his workers.

"This ushered in the era of wrestlers playing 'hide and seek'.
                                -08-05-2007, 03:28 AM
                              • UtterBlitz
                                Something to watch for - parents please read
                                by UtterBlitz
                                I have gotten a couple of these emails regarding this topic. I just wanted to put this out there for the parents that have not heard of this before. I know whip-its(sp?) were big back when I was a kid. It looks like there are more options now.

Blitz

Falcon, the maker of Dust-Off, is aware its product is abused in this fashion. It has posted information about inhalant abuse on its web site, and cans of Dust Off bear a label cautioning users against misuse of the product and carry this warning in large red block letters: "Inhalant abuse is illegal and can cause permanent injury or be fatal. Please use our product responsibly."

Yet while it might be tempting to regard this threat as one limited to Dust-Off (and therefore as a danger that can be averted by banning a specific product from the home), the truth is a great number of teens and pre-teens routinely attempt to get high by abusing inhalants and solvents found in common household products. Dust-Off is just one of a thousand or more products that can abruptly end the life of someone foolishly looking for an inhalant high. The list of items that can be turned to this purpose is almost endless and includes such innocuous-looking goods as hair spray and aerosol whipped cream. Depending on how the intoxicant is taken in, the process is referred to as 'bagging' or 'huffing' ? bagging requires the substance be contained in a plastic or paper bag which the thrill-seeker then breathes from, while huffing involves either breathing directly from an aerosol or through a cloth soaked in solvent.

Both bagging and huffing can, and have, proved fatal. Sudden death can result on the first try, making one's first time seeking this particular kick also one's last. That first time's being a killer isn't an exaggeration, either: 22% of all inhalant-abuse deaths occur among users who had not previously bagged or huffed. Suffocation, dangerous behavior, and aspiration account for 45% of inhalant abuse fatalities, with "sudden sniffing death" (fatal cardiac arrhythmia) causing the remaining 55%. Suffocation usually takes its toll through the victim's slipping into unconsciousness then dying of a lack of oxygen, but it can also happen through airway obstruction brought about through swelling caused by spraying certain agents into the mouth. Dangerous behavior-related deaths are those in which inhalant abuse cause the deceased to engage in risk-laden activities that bring about his demise: he drowns, jumps or falls from a high place, dies of exposure or hypothermia, is in (or on) a vehicle that he loses control of at high speed, or accidentally sets himself on fire (most inhalants are flammable). Death through aspiration of vomited materials comes about through an unconscious victim's protective airway reflexes being depressed by the chemicals involved. "Sudden sniffing death" is a simple way of saying the hydrocarbons being...
                                -09-15-2005, 09:28 PM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                5 Innovations I Just Don't Get
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                As I approach the end of my fourth decade on this planet, I marvel at the many innovations that make daily life easier, more productive, more informative and more entertaining. That said, there are a few things that the youngsters spend their time and money on that I simply do not get:

1. Ringtones
                                I know, I know. Its uber-cool to have your phone play the theme from Aqua Teen Hunger Force when it rings, but is that really worth the $10 you spent to download it? Come on, its just a noise to let you know someone is calling you.

2. Text Messaging
                                What is the fascination of typing little messages on a 2 x 2 cm keyboard? Wouldn't it be easier just to call? Or, dare I say, just to wait until you see your friend the next day?

3. The MP3 Player as an exclusive music listening device
                                The whole music downloading trend, planned or not, has played out like a drug dealer's strategy. First, everything was free. Then, people got hooked. Finally, the price was jacked up (as an aside, I still don't get how that Napster guy's not in jail). MP3 players are great. I have one myself. But I don't see how it replaces actually buying albums. Sure, you can download an entire album, but most don't. Most download song by song. In doing so, you miss out on the great non-single tracks. I just hope that the MP3 age doesn't kill the great B-sides.

4. The In-Car/Van/SUV DVD Player
                                Though my kids would love one, my wife and I have resisted the temptation to buy a car with a DVD player. Kids should look out the window every once in a while. They might actually see something interesting. What's worse is the number of times I've seen someone driving alone with the DVD player on. What are they doing? Listening to a movie? Watching at red lights? Not watching the road at all?

5. In-Dash GPS Devices/On-Star
                                Whatever happened to looking at a map? Or, dare I say, just knowing where you are going? The worst of these are the ones that talk. And what about On-Star? Isn't the notion of a faceless company having the ability to monitor every move you make, unlock your door remotely and dispatch the police, fire department or EMTs to your vehicle sound just a little too Big Brother-ish?

And so, before I drive off on a route that I, and only I know, while listening to a CD player, with my phone that rings with the tone it came with, let me leave you with this thought...

When invention becomes the mother of your necessity, you need a hobby.
                                -02-18-2007, 01:43 PM
                              Working...
                              X