U2: Vertigo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U2: Vertigo

How about that kick a$$ teaser from their upcoming album?

Can anyone deny that U2 belongs in the pantheon of great bands along with the likes of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who and Led Zepplin?

Re: U2: Vertigo

In 1982 they opened for the J Geils Band in Memphis at the Auditorium North Hall that holds maybe 5,000. Now mind you, October hadn't yet come out and Angel is the Centerfold was a hot tune. Anyway, I'm on the 10th row pumped to see U2 and lo and behold they get booed off the stage.

Ten years later, they put 50,000 behinds in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis.

Go figure.

Comment

I saw them twice on the Joshua Tree tour, once in the Worchester Centrum in Worchester, Mass, and the other time in the Boston Garden.

I recommend their DVD concert from Slane Castle in Ireland, filmed on their last tour.

Comment

Yeh, they are a kick ass band that keeps rolling. Aside from that ...... POP CD, they have kept rocking.

I've seen them three times; the first was in 85' in Long Beach, CA, and twice during the Joshua Tree tour, once in LA and the last gig of the tour at Sun Devil Stadium. ( Rattle and Hum)
        JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS
        :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
        Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Comment

I saw U2 in concert once and it was one of the best concerts that I have ever seen. The whole audience was singing even after the band left the stage. Good stuff.
          sigpic

Comment

Pantheon of great? I'm not sure. But I am sure that a few, or was it a couple?, weeks ago, during the game broadcast, the network aired a clip highlighting Holt with Vertigo being the accompanying song.

First, Georgia considers changing the name of the Rams to the St. Louis Freds. And then a piece is put together using AvengerRam's counsel regarding the greatest music as the backdrop. What will they think of next?

Comment

Can anyone deny that U2 belongs in the pantheon of great bands
              Up to and including The Joshua Tree, I would have agreed with you...but since then they've become just another bloated bunch of sell-outs.
              Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Yodude
                ...but since then they've become just another bloated bunch of sell-outs.
                Artists are deservedly striving for a bigger share of the business pie. Some have done it clumsily while others still remain exploited. I'm curious what they gave done lately to deserve the label "sell-out."

They have gotten a lot of airplay recently to coincide with their entrance into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. Edge's guitar on Vertico sounds like it use to and Bono's vocals don't seem any less memorable ... so what is different?

Comment

Vertigo is a good song, but the rest of the album....I don't know. I agree with Yodude, they have not been the same since "The Joshua Tree". RAMMAN, I was at that '85 concert too. I worked at the Long Beach Arena for 21 years. My most vivid memory of U2 was their performance during halftime while I was at SB 36. I couldn't wait for them to get OFF THE STAGE so we could get back to football!!! Little did I know what was in store.

Comment

Gotta disagree, the new album is a good listen top to bottom.

As for post-Joshua Tree... these are some pretty good songs:

One (perhaps their best)
                    All I want is you
                    Desire
                    God (Part 2)
                    Angel of Harlem
                    Staring at the Sun
                    The Fly
                    Even Better Than The Real Thing
                    Stay (Far Away, So Close)
                    Beautiful Day
                    Kite
                    Elevation
                    Walk On

Just to name a few. They did go through an experimental phase that wasn't their best work with the Pop album, but all in all they have had incredible staying power.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bruce=GOAT
                      Hulk Hogan: I thank God I'm alive
                      by Bruce=GOAT
                      http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...351002,00.html

WWE wrestling news – The LilsBoys' Over The Top Rope

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
                      Hogan: I thank God I'm alive

By SIMON ROTHSTEIN of THE LILSBOYS
                      August 04, 2007

WRESTLING legend Hulk Hogan has lashed out at the industry which made him a megastar.

And he has demanded an end to the decades-long cover-up of steroid abuse in the sport.

Hogan, 54, took the muscle-enhancing drugs almost daily for 16 years during his career and says he can spot a user a mile off.

With more than 100 grapplers dying before the age of 50 in the last decade, he is begging others to face up to the crisis.

The Sun has been leading an anti-steroid abuse campaign since wrestler Chris Benoit murdered his wife and seven-year-old son before committing suicide in June.

A handful of former stars have already spoken out and prompted US politicians to start investigating the industry.

But many in the WWE, the world's biggest fight franchise, deny there is a problem and have blasted their ex-colleagues as bitter failures who haven't wrestled in years.

They cannot same the same about Hogan, wrestling's equivalent of Pele or Muhammad Ali who was fighting for them just 12 months ago.

In an exclusive Sun interview, he said: "Are steroids a problem in wrestling? Oh God yeah. They have always been a part of the business. It's prevalent.

"But there's not some big mystery to it. Just open your eyes and it's there. You can look at a wrestler and pretty much tell.

"They will be above their weight range, with these big veins. My body weight is around 285lb, depending on how much junk I eat. Even if I was 25 and clean, I could probably only carry 300lb.

"Yet when I was wrestling I weighed anywhere between 320 and 340lb, because my body was full of water weight.

"My face was puffy, my arms were so bulky I couldn't touch my shoulders. You could take one look at me and know I was on something.

"Steroids have been around for ever in other sports too, but if we have to pick on somebody now then let's pick on wrestling.

"I'm glad the business is in the spotlight because they're probably the only ones smart enough, after being able to dodge it for so long, to know how to fix it."

The Hulkster added: "I remember up until the early 1990s any wrestler could walk into a doctor and they'd write you a prescription for steroids.

"Then there was a huge trial where WWE boss Vince McMahon was unfairly accused and rightly acquitted of distributing the drugs to his workers.

"This ushered in the era of wrestlers playing 'hide and seek'.
                      -08-05-2007, 02:28 AM
                      lol must read this
                      by Guest
                      I got this from the cards M-board

Random thoughts from people 25-35 years old.

-I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

-More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can
                      think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell
                      my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

-Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
                      realize you're wrong.

-Have you ever been walking down the street and realized that you're
                      going in the complete opposite direction of where you are supposed to
                      be going? But instead of just turning a 180 and walking back in the direction
                      from which you came, you have to first do something like check your
                      watch or phone or make a grand arm gesture and mutter to yourself to
                      ensure that no one in the surrounding area thinks you're crazy by
                      randomly switching directions on the sidewalk.

-That's enough, Nickelback.

-I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

-Is it just me, or are 80% of the people in the "people you may know"
                      feature on Facebook people that I do know, but I deliberately choose
                      not to be friends with?

-Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't
                      work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically
                      fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all
                      know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards
                      or FAQ's. We just figured it out. Today's kids are soft.

-Sometimes, I'll watch a movie that I watched when I was younger and
                      suddenly realize I had no idea what the f was going on when I first saw it.

-I think everyone has a movie that they love so much, it actually
                      becomes stressful to watch it with other people. I'll end up wasting
                      90 minutes shiftily glancing around to confirm that everyone's
                      laughing at the right parts, then making sure I laugh just a little bit
                      harder (and a millisecond earlier) to prove that I'm still the only one
                      who really, really gets it.

-How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

-I would rather try to carry 10 plastic grocery bags in each hand than
                      take 2 trips to bring my groceries in.

- I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear
                      your computer history if you die.

-The only time I look forward to a red light is when I'm trying to finish a text.

- A recent study has shown that playing beer pong contributes to the
                      spread of mono and the flu. Yeah, if you suck at it.

- LOL has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

-09-04-2009, 10:19 PM
                    • VegasRam
                      Cool story
                      by VegasRam
                      Rams Strengthen Alumni Efforts, Expand Family

Posted Dec 5, 2012
                      Nick WagonerSenior Writer

A little more than two years ago, Rams fan development coordinator Kyle Eversgerd was handed a flier for the Eric Dickerson football camp in California. Tasked with improving the club's relationship with alumni players, Eversgerd thought the camp was a good place to start.
                      Considering the long and storied history of the Rams franchise, a franchise that celebrated its 75th anniversary over the weekend, Eversgerd was given permission to attend the camp and offer support to Dickerson on the Rams’ behalf.
                      Upon arrival, Eversgerd was bombarded by questions about the general lack of a connection between the Rams in St. Louis and the Rams of Los Angeles.
                      Former Pro Bowl cornerback LeRoy Irvin looked Eversgerd in the eye and told him that he didn’t believe the Rams cared about their alumni.
                      “I’ll never forget it,” Eversgerd said. “I looked at him and told him that’s why I was out there. I wanted him to know we want him and his teammates to be a part of things.”
                      Fast forward to the past weekend and the Rams’ celebration of their 75th anniversary as they welcomed back 20 of their all time greats, including a number of legends from the Los Angeles version of the team.
                      Luminaries such as Rosey Grier, Vince Ferragamo, Dennis Harrah, Jackie Slater, Isaac Bruce and many more were in attendance. And yes, Irvin made the trip as well.
                      “This is fantastic to be a part of the group that’s here and see some guys you haven’t seen in a long time and watch the new guys,” Slater said on Saturday. “It’s pretty exciting. It’s a unique thing because 75 years in this business and this organization has represented itself the way that it has, that’s special. For them to bring some of us from all generations here, have us meet each other and all hang out and share a few meals and tell a few lies, it’s a lot of fun.”
                      If ever there was going to be a sign of massive progress in the attempt to connect to the rich tradition and history of the Rams, it was overwhelmingly evident last weekend.
                      FROM THE GROUND UP
                      The Rams arrived in St. Louis in 1995 and had an astounding number of things to establish and deal with as part of the move. Lost in the shuffle was an emphasis on maintaining the relationships they had with many of their former players.
                      When Eversgerd became responsible for the program, he was tasked with a huge undertaking in not only tracking down former players but building relationships with them. He started with the simple idea of putting together a spreadsheet with names, phone numbers, email addresses, basically anything that could help form a working list of players and contact information moving forward.
                      From there, Eversgerd made it a point to touch base with just about anyone he could who had donned the Rams horns, be it for one year or 20. The message he and the organization...
                      -12-06-2012, 09:23 AM
                    • Rambos
                      Past, Present and Future Come Together for 75th Anniversary
                      by Rambos
                      Nick Wagoner

Jackie Slater, Dennis Harrah and Lawrence McCutcheon watch Saturday's morning walk through.

It has been said that if you want to know where you’re going, you must first understand where you’ve been.

With almost a starting 22 worth of Rams legends in town for this weekend’s 75th anniversary celebration, there was no better time for coach Jeff Fisher to show his team the many amazing places they’ve already been.

“It’s a rich tradition and history,” Fisher said. “It’s important that the players understand that those that came before them are still part of the organization.”

So it was that Fisher wasted no opportunity to break out the blueprints and bring in the former Rams ranging from Hall of Famers such as Jack Youngblood and Jackie Slater to important cogs like Tom Nutten and Ernie Conwell.

In all, 20 former Rams are in town for this weekend’s 75th anniversary celebration and if Fisher gets his way, they all will have some form of contact with the current team. Laughs will be shared, stories will be told, fellowship will be had and bridges will be built across time.

For former members of the Los Angeles edition of the Rams such as quarterback Vince Ferragamo, it’s the first opportunity to see the team’s current digs. Others, such as kicker Jeff Wilkins haven’t been back since retiring five years ago.

Current Rams such as defensive tackle Kendall Langford will get the chance to meet luminaries like Rosey Grier.

They all share a common bond.

“It just brings chills down your spine to think about the great history of the team,” Ferragamo said. “I think that’s what coach Jeff Fisher is trying to deploy here that he wants it to be a tradition. That’s how you build things. You build them with tradition and you build from the ground floor up. Seventy five years is a long time but you still have the horns on so you still have some kind of attachment to the team when you see those horns on the helmet.”

BRIDGING THE GAP

On Friday afternoon, Rams defensive line coach Mike Waufle surprised his group by bringing Youngblood in to speak and take part in film study.

Blown away by the presence of the Hall of Famers, the young linemen tweeted out pictures of Youngblood and shared his message as Youngblood told them to play every play like it’s your last because you don’t know when the last could come.
                      Youngblood also made it clear to the team that he shouldn’t have to motivate them to play because if they needed that, they were in the wrong business.

“To have a Hall of Famer in the room, a legend, one of the greats that ever did it, it was just an honor to be in the room with him,” Langford said. “When greatness is around you, you know it. These guys are definitely great players in this game.”

On Saturday, Fisher invited any...
                      -12-02-2012, 03:50 PM
                    • BIG-BLUE
                      Steriods
                      by BIG-BLUE
                      Just wanted to find out every ones view point on the subject. And if you were the comm. how would you handle the problem?
                      I look at Merrimen & think here is this up & coming superstar who had the NFL in his hands or so it seemed, young fast strong & talented & now he will be forever tainted.

I would love to see a plan put together that has the current 4 game suspension for first time offenders. Because everyone should get a second chance. But the second time its lights out, career done.

If we really want to stop this crap we have to hit them hard were it hurts the most, the pocket book, cuz bottom line its all about the mighty dollar.

Is this thought process to severe? what do you think?
                      -11-01-2006, 05:42 PM
                    Working...
                    X