Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Fans DO Have a Say: Help Study Ourselves (HELP!...please)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fans DO Have a Say: Help Study Ourselves (HELP!...please)

Hey everyone, I am currently working on a Discourse Community Ethnography for my critical writing class. In a nutshell, a discourse community is any group of people that have a set of goal and use communication to reach those goals. The goal of the assignment is to study a discourse community and then write a short case study to that community. Naturally I selected the Clan for my study. All of my research is based on the work of linguists John Swales, Ann Johns, and Elizabeth Wardle. For part of my research I need the input of members of the community, so If you could, can you take the time to respond to the following questions? Feel free to add any information about ClanRam you would like to share. Thanks in advance!

1. What goals do you have as an individual in this community and for the community as a whole?

2. Can you describe the lexis (the way we speak, any specific terms, ect) that we use?

3. What mechanisms of communication do you use to contact other members?

4. Does the community utilize and posses one or more genres of writing? Which ones?

5. Does the community have a reasonable ratio of novices and experts contributing to the community?

6. What are the most memorable conflicts within the community? How were they solved?

7. What are your favorite memories as a member of the community?

8. Have you ever felt that your views or values have been in conflict with the community?

Re: The Fans DO Have a Say: Help Study Ourselves (HELP!...please)

Can anyone help me out, please?

Comment

I'm always one to help educate the youth of today, so why not?
      1. What goals do you have as an individual in this community and for the community as a whole?
      As a moderator my goal is the see the rules of this board enforced. As a member my goal is to both educate and be educated regarding all things Ram. As for the community as a whole, I want to see the Clan be THE go-to site for all Rams fans.

2. Can you describe the lexis (the way we speak, any specific terms, ect) that we use?
      In most ways our vocabulary is as diverse as the members. Our members across the pond use all sorts of words that I have no idea what they mean. Vice versa, I'm sure. However, there are several words that we all have in common, and they are the words uttered by individuals who have "some" knowledge of the topic (NFL football in general, Rams football specifically). Let's face it....we ALL played football at some level; nearly all of us in High School, some of us in College, absolutely NONE of us professionally. Therefore, our subject is beyond our own knowledge base, but together we manage to pool some information, and a buttload of ignorance. And I don't mean that as an insult, I'm just being sincere......we really don't know enough to speak to the inner workings of the NFL. But I'm digressing. To answer your question, we speak in terms of educated fans. Moreso than the common schmo at the nearest sports bar, but far less than those who actually speak professionally to the subject.

3. What mechanisms of communication do you use to contact other members?
      You may need to clarify the question. You mean like posting in a thread vs. private messaging?

4. Does the community utilize and posses one or more genres of writing? Which ones?
      Absolutely. Some are soft-spoken bringers of thought, opinion, and question. Others dabble in satire (some with awesome results). And still others' go to move is straight-up rectal cavity. They tend to impress themselves, but few others. That's just a few, there's many more.

5. Does the community have a reasonable ratio of novices and experts contributing to the community?
      Depends who you ask. And how you define "expert". None of us are true experts. However, there is a solid cadre of members who speak with logic and fact. That's about as close as we can get for a fan site.

6. What are the most memorable conflicts within the community? How were they solved?
      Hmmm. Not going to air any dirty laundry, but suffice to say, we don't always play well with others. Viewpoints are RARELY changed around here. So, on a good day, conflicts are solved with the old fashioned "agree to disagree". Which we all know is actually "you're an idiot and wrong, but I'm tired of arguing". On a bad day, people get personal and out of control......and the big red button has to be pushed.

7. What are your favorite memories as a member of the community?
      the BASH. Anytime one can make it to the Bash, a good time will be had. Around here, every time there's a good discussion, I would say a favorite memory is created.

8. Have you ever felt that your views or values have been in conflict with the community?
      Each time that everyone but me is wrong.
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Thank you so much for answering. It will help me piece together my paper. I really like the point that you bring up about the members of a fan site being below the experts, but because of our community and pooled knowledge, we are raised above the casual fans.

[QUOTE]Let's face it....we ALL played football at some level; nearly all of us in High School, some of us in College, absolutely NONE of us professionally. Therefore, our subject is beyond our own knowledge base, but together we manage to pool some information, and a buttload of ignorance. And I don't mean that as an insult, I'm just being sincere......we really don't know enough to speak to the inner workings of the NFL. But I'm digressing. To answer your question, we speak in terms of educated fans. Moreso than the common schmo at the nearest sports bar, but far less than those who actually speak professionally to the subject.[/QUOTE

I do realize that, as fans, we are not on the same level as the professionals, but with the advancements in technology, the internet, social media, and all other sources of information, fans are more informed than ever before. The purpose within my paper is to argue that by being labeled as a discourse community by linguists, educators, experts, and scholars would give a rag tag group of fans the credibility to hold their own with the professionals in a discussion. Hence the title The Fans DO Have a Say. What are you feelings about that?

And to clarify on question 3: I am looking for any method you use to contact a member of the Clan. Whether its in a thread, private messages, email, facebook, twitter, phone, or in person.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsFanSam
          Fans a reflection of a Team?
          by RamsFanSam
          I won't deny it. Each week, I go to our upcoming opponent's web sites to see what the fans are saying. I know a lot of you guys do the same.

One thing I have noticed is the posters being a reflection of the team.

For instance, our website is classy, the majority of the posters are literate, knowledgeable, and there is a distinct lack of bandwagon fans. Disagreements between Clan members seem to stay relatively calm. We seem to be intolerant of 'hood rat' smack...the "we've got rings" or "You suck" talk, but welcome a well-versed, cerebral discussion with our rival's fans. We expect a high degree of civility from our posters, and are willing to provide guidance to newcomers to insure they become reputable members of our family, regardless of background.

To me, this sounds like a description of the St. Louis Rams.

Go ahead, visit some other team's sites. Every site has both good and bad members, but each one has a different feel. Take the Raider's sites, for instance, you will find a lot of big talk, but only a handful of fans who have the 'touch of class'. Same with the whiners websites. Now, look at some of the 'classy' teams sites. They have a different attitude about things, and better fans.

This brings me to the squawks websites. Maybe it's just me, but in the past few years, it seems like the quality of the average poster has decreased. For every LargeAnt, they've gained 2 mikey clones. For every Rawkhrdr, they've gained 2 brhokla wannabees.

A team's record doesn't seem to make a difference on the quality, nor does the location of the fan base. (I'll get on this in a moment.) It seems tied to the persona projected by the players. I haven't been to any Bengals sites, so I can't verify this theory, but if I am right, then their fans would probably have a rap sheet a mile long.

The location of a fan base seems to be a puzzle to me. I know the old PD site had a large number of posters from the St. Louis area. Most other fan sites have a majority of members from the teams area of influence, but not us. 90% or more of our members are 500 miles or more from St. Louis. In fact, I believe I live closer to the EJD than 99% of the rest of our members, and it's a 4 hour drive from my house. If I'm not mistaken we have more members from California than we do from Missouri. I'm open to theories on why our fan base is so widespread.
          -11-12-2006, 10:28 AM
        • AvengerRam
          Hey, LA Fans... save HUbison!
          by AvengerRam
          Fans of the Rams in California have every reason and every right to be happy about the Rams' move out West.

But... from the vantage point of this geographically neutral fan (for those who don't know, I live in Florida and have never lived in either Missouri or California), you're taking it too far.

Too much gloating. Too many unnecessary shots at St. Louis and its fan base. Too many insensitive comments made to, or in the presence of, a group of loyal Rams fans who are justifiably mourning the departure of their team from their home state.

Case in point: HUbison.

For those who don't know him, he is a Moderator and one of the real core members of this website. He has contributed as much insight, humor and level-headed analysis as any member of this site over the past several years. He is, without question, the type of member who makes this site a great place for Rams fans.

Unfortunately, if you read his recent posts, they convey a tone that I'd describe with words like distraught, detached, pessimistic and, to borrow a slang term my kids like to use, "salty."

I say that without absolutely zero intent to criticize HUbison.

The reason is, to put it plainly, he was driven to this state by the California fans.

Maybe HUbsion, in his typical measured and level-headed manner, will deny my assertion (in whole or in part).

I'll still think I'm right.

Why?

Because through all the losing, all the dashed hopes, all of the frustration of the last ten years, I've never seen HUbison lose his sense of humor and resort to sarcastic naysaying.

It is only now, in the wake of the relocation and the reaction by the California fans, that HUbison has been driven to this point.

And, you know what else?

He may be only the tip of the iceberg.

I'm betting that there are other Missouri fans who have felt the same way but, rather than staying as HUbison has done, have simply stopped posting, or even stopped visiting this site.

So, California fans.... I implore you...

Cut it out.

Consider your words.

Be sensitive.

Recognize that your gain is contemporaneous with a big loss by real, true, loyal Rams fans from the Midwest.

In the past, some people have suggested that I, in my former "identity" of AvengerRam, caused harm to this site. Whether I agreed with those assertions or thought they were fair was ultimately unimportant The fact that some people felt that way motivated me to change my approach (thus, my new "identity" of RFE).

So, I'm asking you California fans...

Please.

Make sure the Missouri Rams fans continue to feel welcome.

Because, I truly believe... if you drive the likes of HUbison away, I'm not sure the Clan will su...
          -07-07-2016, 08:48 AM
        • AvengerRam_old
          Honest fans should not be offended by anything posted here.
          by AvengerRam_old
          I've noticed some people taking offense at characterizations that have been made regarding certain Rams fans.

My response to that: "To thine own self be true."

We all know what kind of fans we are.

Most of us are diehards. Those who are bandwagon fans know who they are.

Most of us have a positive outlook. Those who revel in negativity know who they are.

Most of us are focused on today. Those who dwell on the past or only want to talk about what might happen next year know who they are.

Most of us, when lucky enough to attend a Rams game, come close to losing out voices cheering the team on. Those who hang out, have a few beers, and then leave early know who they are.

Most of us come to ClanRam to discuss the Rams with fellow fans, those who come to cause trouble, bait people into arguments, or do nothing other than vent know who they are.

So, if you feel that you are being mischaracterized by a generalization (notwithstanding that, in the aggregate, the generalization is true), don't be offended. You may be the exception.

And if you're not... you know who you are.
          -12-23-2010, 09:30 AM
        • RamWraith
          Did you hear??
          by RamWraith
          This is the last reminder about our fundraiser. This is the last day of our event, and in all honesty I am pretty disappointed. Our totals at this point are under $500.00. That isn't saying too much, when you consider we have well over 1000 active members.

Regardless, I appreciate those that took the time to either talk to me personally or gave with their heart as well as their hard earned dime. I will be forwarding our questions on to D'Marco this weekend.

There still is time if you all can find a little something for a great cause. There isn't many times we fans can give back to a cause that is giving to us. We fans should represent. Thanks again

http://www.clanram.com/forums/f11/dm...draiser-31214/
          -08-21-2008, 03:59 PM
        • AvengerRam_old
          I wonder... is there an Anti-Bandwagon?
          by AvengerRam_old
          It comes as no surprise that a team having success will draw its share of "Bandwagon" fans, who can be defined as fans who jump on board during a successful run but disappear when things get tough.

As an aside, I don't have a major problem with bandwagon fans, provided that they are at least honest about it. For example, I'll readily admit that, as a graduate of the University of Miami's Law School (as opposed to undergraduate college), I am somewhat of a bandwagon fan of he Hurricanes. I tend to get interested in them when they do well, but I don't spend much time worrying about the team when they are having a down year.

I wonder, though... have the Rams developed an Anti-Bandwagon? What I mean by that is, do you think there are fans who are more active and vocal when the team is down (voicing their complaints, critiques and frustrations) who would, paradoxically, become LESS active if the Rams started winning?

If you do think that this phenomenon exists, what do you see as the motivation of the Anti-Bandwagon fans? Is it merely the Cub-Fan-esque notion of supporting the "loveable losers," or is it something else?

Discuss.
          -01-06-2010, 11:26 AM
        Working...
        X