And then the Never-Ending Story Continued - RIP Paul Kantner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And then the Never-Ending Story Continued - RIP Paul Kantner

And another Californian to miss the return of the Rams.

When logic and proportion
    Have fallen sloppy dead
    And the White Knight is talking backwards
    And the Red Queen's off with her head
    Remember what the dormouse said
    Feed your head

Jefferson Airplane, White Rabbit

Related Topics

Collapse

• UtterBlitz
    Black and White and Full of Crap - the Pat Tillman story
    by UtterBlitz
    I could not resist the title. Black and White .......

Published on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 by UExpress.com
    Black and White and Full of Crap
    by Ted Rall

One year ago the American media was pushing the Pat Tillman story with the heavy rotation normally reserved for living celebs like Michael Jackson. Tillman, the former NFL player who turned down a multi-million dollar football contract to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan, became a centerpiece of the right's Hamas-style death cult when he lost his life in the mountains of southeastern Afghanistan. To supporters of the wars and to many football fans, Tillman embodied ideals of self-sacrifice and post-9/11 butt-kicking in a hard-bodied shell of chisel-chinned masculinity on steroids.

Tillman's quintessential nobility, we were told, was borne out by the story of his death--a tale that earned him a posthumous Silver Star. Whether you were for or against Bush's wars, Americans were told, Tillman's valor showed why you should support the troops. Young men were encouraged to emulate his praiseworthy example.

Several thousand mourners gathered at Tillman's May 3, 2004 memorial service to hear marquee names including Arizona Senator John McCain called upon all Americans to "be worthy of the sacrifices made on our behalf." "Tillman died trying to save fellow members of the 75th Ranger Regiment caught in a crush of enemy fire," the Arizona Republic quoted a fellow soldier addressing the crowd. Tillman, said his friend and comrade-at-arms, had told his fellow soldiers "to seize the tactical high ground from the enemy" to draw enemy fire away from another U.S. platoon trapped in an ambush. "He directly saved their lives with those moves. Pat sacrificed his life so that others could live." It was, as the Washington Post wrote, a "storybook personal narrative"--one recounted on hundreds of front pages and network newscasts.

It was also a lie.

As sharp-eyed readers learned a few months ago from single-paragraph articles buried deep inside their newspapers, Pat Tillman died pointlessly, a hapless victim of "friendly fire" who never got the chance to choose between bravery and cowardice. As if that wasn't bad enough, the Washington Post now reports that Pentagon and White House officials knew the truth "within days" after his April 22, 2004 shooting by fellow Army Rangers but "decided not to inform Tillman's family or the public until weeks after" the nationally televised martyr-a-thon.

It gets worse. So desperate were the military brass to carry off their propaganda coup that they lied to Tillman's brother, a fellow soldier who arrived on the scene shortly after the incident, about how he died. Writing in an army report, Brigadier General Gary Jones admits that the official...
    -01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
  • Nick
    White ex-cons and law-abiding black men on same level in NYC job hunts
    by Nick
    Races unequal in job search: study
    By RICK HARRISON
    DAILY NEWS WRITER

Law-abiding black men fare no better than white ex-cons when it comes to interviewing for jobs in the city, according to a study released yesterday.
    In the year-long study, co-sponsored by the city Commission on Human Rights, 13 men went on 3,500 undercover job interviews around the city.

White candidates offering resumes mentioning phony criminal backgrounds got called back 16% of the time - the same rate as black men with identical credentials and crime-free backgrounds.

Whites with clean backgrounds got called back 21% of the time, compared with 6% of blacks whose resumes had a phony felony conviction.

"I think there is a deep reservation on the part of employers to trust young black men," said Bruce Western, a Princeton University sociology professor who co-authored the study with Devah Pager, a Princeton colleague.

"Not only do [ex-offenders] suffer, but those who suffer the most are black," said John Jay College President Jeremy Travis. "They suffer this double whammy."

Anthony Nurse, 25, a black man who went on numerous job interviews as part of the study, said some interviewers wouldn't even shake his hand - even when he said his record was clean. "I would see my white partner being interviewed, and then when it was my turn the whole demeanor changed," he said.
    -06-17-2005, 09:01 AM
  • JFMose
    Uni Watch interviews Rams longtime equipment manager Todd Hewitt
    by JFMose

Uni Watch » Uni Watch Profiles: Todd Hewitt

As many of you know, the Rams fired longtime equipment manager Todd Hewitt back in January. Today we have an extensive interview with him, but it wasn’t conducted by me. It was done by football historian Robert Harvell, whose photo archives have been featured here on the site many times.
    Robert interviewed Todd last month, and the resulting transcript was recently posted over on Helmet Hut. But Robert and Helmet Hut honcho Curtis Worrell both felt that the interview deserved to be published here at Uni Watch as well. After reading it, I wholeheartedly agreed.
    As you’ll see, the interview has nothing to do with Todd’s firing. That’s another topic for another day. This is all about the work he did with the Rams, the team’s uniform history, and so on. It’s really good stuff — enjoy.
    Robert Harvell: Todd, when did you start working for the Rams?
    Todd Hewitt: Well, my dad was hired by the Rams in 1967. I was 11 years old at the time and helped out in the locker room and was a ball boy. In 1978, I was officially hired by the Rams as Assistant Equipment Manager and continued to work with my dad until his retirement in 1984. In 1985, I took over as Rams Equipment Manager, although my dad remained with the team as Equipment Manager Emeritus through 1994, the Rams’ final year in Los Angeles. In 1995, the Rams relocated to St. Louis. My dad joined us there for one final year. So all told, I was with the Rams for 44 years and have worked under 14 different Rams head coaches! Funny, I still remember when the Packers came to town in 1967, my first year with the team. I walked down the Coliseum tunnel flanked by Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr!
    RH: How many hours per week would you put in once camp began?
    TH: Let’s put it this way: Once camp started I definitely spent more time at work than at home. In at 5am, leave at 7pm, seven days a week. The only day I’d take off during the season is the Sunday of the bye week. The players’ day off was a treat, because I’d “only” work from 5am to 4:30pm. But I made up for that on game day, especially when we returned from road games, often working very late. It wasn’t unusual for me to spend the night at work after road games. During the off-season I typically worked five days a week, from 6am to 4:30pm.
    RH: Like most teams, the Rams have changed their uniform color schemes over the years. Do you have a favorite?
    TH: Honestly, I like them all. For sentimental reasons, I really like the blue and white. But I would have to say that my favorite color scheme was what we wore from 1973-1999, the blue and yellow, what we wore when we won the Super Bowl. In fact, when we wore those colors again for a throwback game, I realized just how much I missed them, they were just so vibrant. I really like the current uniforms as well, but they are so much darker than what we wore before....
    -05-18-2011, 04:08 PM
  • Fat Pang
    Gravy
    by Fat Pang
    I'm geting very worried about this talk of white gravy. Gravy is never white, it's always a shade of brown and commonly served with a hefty serving of dead animal. It can occasionally be thickened by the less skillful with cornflour but is not constituted of flour.

Recipe's for gravy please and while our US cousins are at it, please explain 'white' gravy.
    -02-21-2006, 03:48 AM
  • MOM
    MOM's Sad Attempt at a Humor Thread
    by MOM
    Please join me in remembering a great icon of the
    > > > entertainment community . . .
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > The Pillsbury Doughboy died yesterday of a yeast
    > > > infection and trauma complications from repeated pokes
    > > > in the belly. He was 71. Doughboy was buried in a
    > > > lightly greased coffin. Dozens of celebrities turned
    > > > out to pay their respects, including Mrs. Butterworth,
    > > > Hungry Jack, the California Raisins, Betty Crocker,
    > > > the Hostess Twinkies, and Captain Crunch. The grave
    > > > site was piled high with flours.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Aunt Jemima delivered the eulogy and lovingly
    > > > described Doughboy as a man who never knew how much he
    > > > was kneaded.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Doughboy rose quickly in show business, but his later
    > > > life was filled with turnovers. He was not considered
    > > > a very smart cookie, wasting much of his dough on
    > > > half-baked schemes. Despite being a little flaky at
    > > > times he still was a crusty old man and was considered
    > > > a roll model for millions.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Doughboy is survived by his wife Play Dough, two
    > > > children, John Dough and Jane Dough, plus they had one
    > > > in the oven. He is also survived by his elderly
    > > > father, Pop Tart. The funeral was held at 3:50 for
    > > > about 20 minutes.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > If this made you smile for even a brief second, please
    > > > rise to the occasions and take time to pass it on and
    > > > share that smile with someone else who kneads it.
    -11-29-2005, 09:12 PM
Working...
X