Our beloved owner....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our beloved owner....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/08/08/sports-moguls-estate-forcing-out-north-texas-lake-residents/88425076/

Sports mogul's estate forcing out North Texas lake residents

USA TODAY NETWORKPatrick Johnston, The (Wichita Falls, Texas) Times Record7:06 p.m. EDT August 8, 2016
    (Photo: Patrick Johnston, The (Wichita Falls, Texas) Times Record News)
    DUNDEE, Texas — It wasn’t the mail Billy Butlerexpected to open on Friday for his birthday, even if he had a suspicion after seeing a notice on the Cara Blanca Park community board.

The letter, mailed from a law office he couldn’t remember, put the nail in the coffin:

“W.T. Waggoner Estate, Inc., ... has decided to change the use of the land in Cara Blanca Park on February 1, 2017 and return the lake shoreline to its natural, uninhabited landscape to support and improve the microecosystem in and around Lake Diversion.”

It meant that people who had homes on Lake Diversion in North Texas would lose them. The new owner of the historic Waggoner Ranch wants them gone.

“I heard about it the night before, so I kind of knew it was coming,” Butler, a 17-year resident of the lake, said. “People keep asking me where I’m going to go and I haven’t had a chance to think about it. I just don’t know.”

He’d watched his daughter, now 20, grow up on this lake and couldn’t wait to raise his son, who was born a year-and-a-half ago.

Now, with a one-page letter, those dreams and the life he planned for his family were gone in an instant.

USA TODAY

Great Lakes group backs Waukesha lake water diversion

“We do have pictures — thank God for that,” Butler said. “ ... I’m so devastated and still in shock. It’ll probably set in next week. Right now, I just don’t know. I mean, I’m losing my home.”

He and a couple of hundred other residents are left to sort through what to do next — residents like Paul Appel, a Vietnam War veteran with several medical issues and a fixed income.

“I’m in poor health and will be 73 in three months,” said Appel, who retired to the lake 16 years ago. “I can’t do very much and will have to get some help somewhere to move everything.”

While he has two adult children who live in Dallas, Appel is struggling to figure out what to do with a “lifetime worth of stuff” packed inside three storage sheds and a sun room.

His home — two mobile homes in an L-shape — could be relocated to new land, but he doesn’t have the money for the transportation or the new property.

“I have no idea where I’m going to go,” Appel said. “I have no money and I’m on Social Security and disability. I live month-to-month and can’t afford rent anywhere.”

Although Lake Diversion is owned by Wichita County Water Improvement District No. 2 and the City of Wichita Falls, it sits on ranchland recently purchased by sports mogul Stan Kroenke, owner of the National Football League Los Angeles Rams, theNational Basketball Association’s Denver Nuggets and National Hockey League’sColorado Avalanche.

The Waggoner family, which had established the sprawling ranch 164 years ago, had offered leases on lakefront property on the north end of the lake. Over the years, some of those properties became permanent homes. When Kroenke purchased the ranch in February, he issued a statement saying he was “… deeply committed to continuing the proud legacy of W.T. “Tom” Waggoner, his family and his descendants..

Kroenke said in the statement, “We will continue to preserve and protect this uniquely American treasure.”

That preservation will not include the homes on the lake, which was created in 1924.

Lessees must be off the property by Jan. 31, when the current leases expire. They may move buildings at their own expense, but those that are not moved will be moved and disposed of by Kroenke.

A message left with the Waggoner Ranch owner at his Kroenke Sports & Entertainment office in Denver had not been returned as of Monday afternoon.

Stories like this confirm what I already know about stan, and that he is an utterly shameful POS.

Now would be a good time for all residence of that location to start dumping all the used oil and antifreeze they can find, so stan has a huge environmental mess to clean up. That should put a nice dent in his wallet.

gap

Comment

...and the guy STILL wants St. Louis to give him tax incentives to build in Maryland Heights.

Perhaps if he were a human - with real human morals and values - he would learn that to be treated decently, you have to treat others decently.
      temp_4394_1467243487543_20
      RAMS!

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post
        Stories like this confirm what I already know about stan, and that he is an utterly shameful POS.

Now would be a good time for all residence of that location to start dumping all the used oil and antifreeze they can find, so stan has a huge environmental mess to clean up. That should put a nice dent in his wallet.

gap
        Great idea...lets kill as much wildlife as possible and damage a natural habitat so you can make a point.
        Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Is this Rams Talk? Is this forum now open to this kind of talk?

Sad deal, I don't know what these people were thinking, but you are taking a risk building permanent homes on property that is leased. The aerial view of this looks like a mess.

Comment

Sorry, but this doesn't trouble me to any degree. Their leases are up. Not being renewed. This happens to tens of thousands of tenants every month in the U.S. It's also not "Rams Talk"y enough for my tastes. Maybe if Tre Mason was doing football drills on the front lawn of one of these mobile homes....? Now that's a story I could get behind.

Next!

Comment

Where's the "Real Estate" forum when you need it..........

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                Where's the "Real Estate" forum when you need it..........
                Just wanted to make sure you heard Wal-Mart signed a $3.3 billion deal to buy web retailer Jet.com... they are trying to compete with Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambos View Post
                  Just wanted to make sure you heard Wal-Mart signed a $3.3 billion deal to buy web retailer Jet.com... they are trying to compete with Amazon.
                  Where's the "Business" forum when you need it.

Comment

I tried to move this to the Lounge, but couldn't figure out how. Sam is looking into as well.
                    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Working...
                    X