So Mote it Be - RIP Samarn Kunan, Thai Navy Seal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Mote it Be - RIP Samarn Kunan, Thai Navy Seal

My goodness. In a world so rife with horror and incompetence, to have such an outcome is epic beyond belief. There are no words sufficient to express appreciation for the collective precision with which this operation was conducted. The rescued, the families of the rescued, and all the support personnel involved in extricating the kids should not want for anything the rest of their lives. Hey Bill, Warren, what do you say? Letís fund them for life. Remarkable stories like this, just cannot fade away. They must be rewarded. This story must be held aloft forever. So mote it be.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ThaiSEAL...=page_internal

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...s-were-rescued
    Last edited by adarian_too; -07-18-2018, 12:06 PM. Reason: Spelling of diver is apparently wrong. Sorry, can't fix title.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Atlas
    Dire Visions Of Our Future
    Atlas
    An interesting passage in one of my many books. Thought some would find this...intriguing if not foreboding....
    -09-16-2001, 02:09 PM
  • UtterBlitz
    Something to watch for - parents please read
    UtterBlitz
    I have gotten a couple of these emails regarding this topic. I just wanted to put this out there for the parents that have not heard of this before. I know whip-its(sp?) were big back when I was a kid. It looks like there are more options now.

Blitz

Falcon, the maker of Dust-Off, is aware its product is abused in this fashion. It has posted information about inhalant abuse on its web site, and cans of Dust Off bear a label cautioning users against misuse of the product and carry this warning in large red block letters: "Inhalant abuse is illegal and can cause permanent injury or be fatal. Please use our product responsibly."

Yet while it might be tempting to regard this threat as one limited to Dust-Off (and therefore as a danger that can be averted by banning a specific product from the home), the truth is a great number of teens and pre-teens routinely attempt to get high by abusing inhalants and solvents found in common household products. Dust-Off is just one of a thousand or more products that can abruptly end the life of someone foolishly looking for an inhalant high. The list of items that can be turned to this purpose is almost endless and includes such innocuous-looking goods as hair spray and aerosol whipped cream. Depending on how the intoxicant is taken in, the process is referred to as 'bagging' or 'huffing' ? bagging requires the substance be contained in a plastic or paper bag which the thrill-seeker then breathes from, while huffing involves either breathing directly from an aerosol or through a cloth soaked in solvent.

Both bagging and huffing can, and have, proved fatal. Sudden death can result on the first try, making one's first time seeking this particular kick also one's last. That first time's being a killer isn't an exaggeration, either: 22% of all inhalant-abuse deaths occur among users who had not previously bagged or huffed. Suffocation, dangerous behavior, and aspiration account for 45% of inhalant abuse fatalities, with "sudden sniffing death" (fatal cardiac arrhythmia) causing the remaining 55%. Suffocation usually takes its toll through the victim's slipping into unconsciousness then dying of a lack of oxygen, but it can also happen through airway obstruction brought about through swelling caused by spraying certain agents into the mouth. Dangerous behavior-related deaths are those in which inhalant abuse cause the deceased to engage in risk-laden activities that bring about his demise: he drowns, jumps or falls from a high place, dies of exposure or hypothermia, is in (or on) a vehicle that he loses control of at high speed, or accidentally sets himself on fire (most inhalants are flammable). Death through aspiration of vomited materials comes about through an unconscious victim's protective airway reflexes being depressed by the chemicals involved. "Sudden sniffing death" is a simple way of saying the hydrocarbons being...
    -09-15-2005, 09:28 PM
  • RAM-BO
    Hey people. I returned for another Rammervention!
    RAM-BO
    Hey guys, how's it going? A few of you might remember me, but most of you don't. I never really made an impact on this site so I don't see why you would. Anyways, I'm back to take part in the Council of Horns as we embark on this new season. I've been away doin some stuff since last season (Pro Evolution Soccer, Rainbow Six Las Vegas(Elite holla at me), ACL reconstruction (and physical therapy, ewww), watchin movies, followin the premiership, preparing for college (lookin at schools n stuff), etc etc. So yeah anyways I'm hear to throw in my chips in this dip (haha yeah I know you like that one) on anything Ram. Well yeah that's about it man lets go one game at a time lets stay undefeated for one more week. Tye hill is ready to shut down stevie.
    -09-02-2007, 12:50 AM
  • txramsfan
    Hey, let's play ball.
    txramsfan
    Sports is way too important to America for us not to play. Folks, this war is a different one. It will be hard to send in the troops. We may have to do what the military does best; hurry up and wait. President Bush wants us to get on with our lives, and I for one think that is healthy. Mayor Guiliani gave a bride away this weekend. Good for everyone at that celebration. Let's live like Americans; play, but play with a little sense of humility. I could really live without seeing Ray Lewis's intro act this week.
    -09-18-2001, 08:54 PM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Burwell: McNair Was More Than How He Died
    r8rh8rmike
    McNair was more than how he died

Sports Columnist Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/08/2009

The world of sports loves to give us winners and losers, heroes and villains.

But it rarely gives us humans. Humans have too many dimensions to comprehend. Humans are fragile and complicated. Humans are layered and dappled like abstract art. But sports tend to obscure an athlete's human frailties. Too often, the bright lights of fame and fortune cast a one- or two-dimensional shadow that never adequately provides an accurate and fully developed picture of anyone who lives in that spotlight.

We see them from a controlled distance inside the athletic arena, wrapped in achievement or cloaked in defeat and that becomes the sum total of who we believe they are: Saturday's hero or Sunday's goat.

And that has always been part of the great sports mystique, not just in America, but all over the world. Sweep us away from all the bad news. Hide us from tragedy and turmoil. Protect us from all of the disturbing realities of the world. Give us uncomplicated snapshots and comic book heroics, and of course that works well until tragedy creeps into Sports World and opens our eyes in ways we can rarely predict.

I thought I knew Steve McNair pretty well, and for the past five days I have been trying to make sense of how the former National Football League MVP could have been murdered. Yet even though I am greatly disturbed by the manner of his death, I am not particularly flabbergasted by the tabloid circumstances surrounding it. That is not a reflection on anything in particular that I might have known about McNair's personal life (I sure as heck didn't know he was involved in an affair with a 20-year-old girl 16 years his junior). It's more of a statement that looking at a sports world with my eyes wide open no longer allows me to be shocked or disappointed when the athletes I have covered for the past 36 years turn out to be real-life humans, not make-believe idols.

It's one of the reasons I have always found Charles Barkley to be so refreshing. I remember how he warned us all nearly 20 years ago that athletes were not role models. In those graphic Nike commercials, Barkley tried to warn us that jumping out of the gym or running fast as the wind or throwing a curveball that drops off the table or hitting tape-measure home runs should never be the sole criteria for elevating an athlete to hero status.

Heroism is so much bigger than that. What Barkley was trying to say was that it is OK to admire athletes, but don't worship them.

I wish everyone would remember that every time they even think about turning modern professional athletes into something more than they really are and then get crushed when they fall off those lofty and unreasonable moral pedestals.

Humans, not machines, is what Tony La Russa...
    -07-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Working...
X