Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt steps into K.C. Arena Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt steps into K.C. Arena Debate

Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt blasted opponents of the proposed new downtown arena after hearing their claims that support for the Chiefs and Royals would wane if an NBA or NHL team were to relocate in the proposed Sprint Center. That and this report from The Kansas City Star's Randy Covitz
    Hunt isn't outspoken on many subjects, but he blistered the findings of University of San Francisco professor Dan Rascher, who said the two teams would be harmed by the presence of a major-league team in the arena.

"I don't agree at all," Hunt said Thursday. "The Chiefs want to encourage anything that encourages growth and development and new events in Kansas City, and I just don't see (his) rationale.

"I think it's interesting that someone would almost use a scare tactic that you should not vote for something because it's going to hurt the Chiefs. Maybe I should be flattered that people are worried, but I don't think there is anything to worry about in that context. I just look at it as being the type of thing very much like the Sports Complex when it was built in 1972."

Hunt, in fact, wondered aloud what might have happened had Jackson County citizens not voted in 1967 in favor of building Arrowhead Stadium and Royals Stadium.

"It's important for Kansas City to show progress," Hunt said. "I doubt the Chiefs would be in Kansas City today if more than 35 years ago people said, 'You had to keep playing in Municipal Stadium.' And we know what happened to the (Athletics) — they left.

"The Sports Complex helped get a new baseball team, the Royals, and helped make the Chiefs the success they are. It's led to other events that have come to Arrowhead like the Billy Graham Crusade that will be here in October, and the Big 12 championship that will be here for the third time in five years this year and again in 2006.

"The new arena may or may not attract other sports teams. I cannot speak to whether an NHL or an NBA team would come to Kansas City, but I'm not fearful from it from a Chiefs standpoint."

Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson echoed Hunt's thoughts, adding that he was planning to fly back to Kansas City from training camp so he could vote for the new arena Tuesday.

"We're all for it," Peterson said. "It's great for Kansas City, and it's great for downtown. I really don't understand the arguments against it. It makes too much sense. This is not something to fear, it's something to embrace."

Peterson said he has already spoken with Tim Leiweke, president of Anschutz Entertainment Group, about possible cross-promotions between the Chiefs and a new arena. The Chiefs also would like to be involved with an Arena Football League team.

"The only thing (an arena) can do is help everyone," Peterson said. "Kansas City is a passionate sports town. We already know that. I don't think supporting a new arena will be a problem."

Even though Kansas City's metropolitan population is just 1.77 million, Hunt agreed that there are enough entertainment dollars to support the Chiefs, Royals, Wizards, Kansas Speedway events and Comets, as well as an NBA or NHL team, not to mention Big 12 schools, Big 12 tournaments and NCAA events at the new arena.

"In a perfect world, sure, we'd like to have no competition," Hunt said. "Should the Royals go away? Should the Wizards and the movie theatres all close? Well, theoretically, that would probably help the Chiefs. But the Chiefs are doing well. We have a very strong fan base … our season-ticket holders come from 45 states.

"I think of it from the positives that would come from it in the development of business, whether it's concert business … everyone who uses an arena, whether it's a circus or a hockey team, I look at it as a glass that is half full, not empty."

Other than what he has read in the newspaper, Hunt said he has not closely examined the non-binding agreement Kansas City has with AEG. But Hunt can vouch for AEG because he is partners with AEG founder Philip Anschutz in Major League Soccer. Of the 10 MLS franchises, Hunt operates three while Anschutz operates five.

"I can't speak to whether (the agreement) is good, bad or indifferent," Hunt said, "but certainly, getting a naming-rights sponsor in Sprint is tremendously positive, and getting Anschutz Entertainment Group … they know how to run arenas and have them all over the world."

Hunt's only regret is he is unable to vote on the project because he's a resident of Dallas.

"I don't know how many of the undecided voters are Chiefs ticket holders or fans," Hunt said, "but I would urge them not to be fearful of progress, and to be a supporter of progress." That and this report from The Kansas City Star's Randy Covitz

Related Topics

Collapse

• laram0
    Scott Pioli hired by KC Chiefs
    by laram0
    Adam Schefter (NFL.COM)
    2/13/09

Scott Pioli has been hired by the Chiefs. Also the Denver Broncos have signed Mike Nolan to a 2 year contract to fill the DC position.
    -01-13-2009, 02:58 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Morton would complement Gonzalez on Chiefs
    by DJRamFan
    Friday, March 29
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

KANSAS CITY -- The Kansas City Chiefs may have found the impact wide receiver they were looking for.

The Chiefs are close to reaching an agreement with free agent Johnnie Morton, the Kansas City Star reported on Friday.

Morton delayed his departure from Kansas City several times on Thursday as both sides attempted to finalize a deal. An agreement may be reached as early as Friday.

"We're just ironing out some details," Morton told the Star. "It seems like we're real close. Everything is perfect here. I feel like I'm part of a family."

Morton has been a big-play receiver throughout his eight-year career, all with the Detroit Lions. Last season Morton caught 77 balls for a career-high 1,154 yards and four touchdowns.

The Chiefs are looking for a top-rate wide receiver to complement tight end Tony Gonzalez, who caught 73 passes for 917 yards last season. Marvin Minnis led the Chiefs' wide receivers with just 33 receptions.

"He would come in here and be the top receiver on the team," coach Dick Vermeil told the Star. "He would add another degree of explosiveness to our offense. We need to score more points. He could make the plays to help us do that."

Morton had previously met with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the St. Louis Rams. Morton is also planning to visit Denver. But after Thursday's progress with the Chiefs, Morton told the Star, "That (trip) may be unnecessary, most likely."
    -03-29-2002, 08:42 AM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Don't Loook For A Rivalry When Chiefs Meet Rams
    by r8rh8rmike
    Don't look for a rivalry when Chiefs meet Rams

October, 23, 2014
    By Adam Teicher | ESPN.com

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Placed next to the Super Bowl XXXIV trophy at team headquarters in suburban St. Louis sits an award presented by Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon after the Rams beat the Kansas City Chiefs in a 2012 preseason game, the last meeting between the teams.

"I’m actually more fond of the Governor’s Cup trophy than I am of the Super Bowl trophy," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said.

Fisher’s sentiment is understandable. He coached the losing team in Super Bowl XXXIV, the Tennessee Titans. But nobody else shares that thought.

Former Missouri QB Chase Daniel, now a backup with the Chiefs, says not playing every season lessens the impact of the Chiefs-Rams rivalry.

To most everyone else involved, players and fans from both sides, the Governor’s Cup, presented whenever the NFL football teams from Kansas City and St. Louis face one another, is just a meaningless piece of hardware.

Though the Rams and their backers get worked up about games with Seattle, San Francisco and Arizona, and the Chiefs look forward to their AFC West rivalries, this Missouri battle is just another game.

"When I was in college, there was never a rivalry," said Chase Daniel, a former Missouri quarterback who now backs up Alex Smith with the Chiefs. "We don’t play each other every year. We play every third or fourth year. We’re both just trying to win.

"It would have been pretty cool actually if (the Royals and Cardinals) were playing in the World Series. But it didn’t work out like that."

The teams have tried to kindle a rivalry by playing most years during the preseason. For various reasons the teams haven’t met during the summer for the past two years, and nobody seemed to care.

The 3-3 Chiefs and 2-4 Rams will play for real on Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium, but there is little buzz about the game other than each team needing a victory to stay relevant in its respective playoff race.

"Anytime you have two teams in the same state, you’d think you’d have a little bit of intensity in that," Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "You’d think there would be a lot of bragging rights for everybody in between, especially with both cities on the border (of Missouri). There’s a whole lot of space in between there. You’d think it would be more heated.

"As players, we’re plenty motivated. But I really don’t get the sense from the fans ... not as many people try to hit you up on Twitter about this one as they do the Niners and Seahawks rivalries."

When the teams have played during the regular season, the series hasn’t been competitive. The Chiefs are 5-0 against the Rams since they moved from Los Angeles in 1995....
    -10-23-2014, 10:33 AM
  • dgr828
    Governors cup
    by dgr828
    THE GOVERNOR'S CUP (MISSOURI)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Missouri Governor's Cup is the trophy awarded to the winner between the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs and St. Louis Rams' annual meetings in the preseason and occasional contests in the regular season.

The contest has been a staple of Missourian's football teams from 1968 to 1987 (between the Chiefs and St. Louis' first football team, the Cardinals) and 1996 to the present (feature the Chiefs and newly-relocated Rams). The local press occasionally refer to the game as The Battle of Missouri, The Show-Me State showdown (a play on Missouri's state nickname), or the I-70 Series. The Chiefs and Rams meet every year in the pre-season but have only met four times in the regular season.

HISTORY

1968-1988

The contest began in 1968 when St. Louis had the football Cardinals, until the Cardinals relocated in 1988. The Governor's Cup game was resumed in the 1996 season between the Chiefs and the Rams.

The Chiefs posted a 16-7-2 mark in its Governor's Cup series against the Cardinals from 1968 to 1987, going 2-1-1 in the regular season and 14-6-1 in preseason play.

1996-present

When the Los Angeles Rams relocated to St. Louis, the rivalry among Missourians re-emerged.
    Both the Rams and the Chiefs possessed the two most productive offenses in the NFL in the early 2000's, and the meetings often resulted in shootouts. Former Ram's coach Dick Vermeil was hired by the Chiefs in 2001 after he had won Super Bowl XXXIV with the Rams with one of the NFL's most powerful offensive squads in history.

Once the Chiefs created their own high-powered offense with the arrival of Vermeil, the rivalry became even more exciting. In often meaningless preseason games, the Chief and Rams gave all their energy to secure the Governor's Cup, their spot as the best offense in the league, and bragging rights for their respective city in Missouri.

Dick Vermeil faced off against his old coaching buddies with the Rams-- including his offensive coordinator of "The Greatest Show on Turf," Mike Martz--whom succeeded vermeil for the Rams head coaching job.

St. Louis Football Cardinals vs. Kansas City Chiefs

All-Time Pre-Season Results

The Chiefs and Cardinals met every pre-season to determine the best NFL team in Missouri. The Chiefs lead the pre-season series 14-6-1.

All-Time Regular Season Results

Note: The Governor's Cup was awarded between the Chiefs and the St. Louis Football Cardinals from 1968 through 1987, the Cardinals' final season in St. Louis.

St. Louis Rams vs. Kansas City Chiefs

All-Time Pre-Season Results

The Chiefs and Rams meet every pre-season to determine the NFL team in Missouri. The Rams lead the pre-season...
    -08-30-2009, 03:03 AM
  • RamDez
    Game Plan v Chiefs?
    by RamDez
    Run heavy or Pass happy?
    How do we take on the Chiefs?...
    -11-13-2018, 01:46 AM
Working...
X