X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnstormers Will Honor Kurt Warner At Friday's Game

Barnstormers will honor Kurt Warner at Friday's game

BY DAN JOHNSON MAY 17, 2010

The Iowa Barnstormers will retire Kurt Warner's No. 13 jersey at halftime of Friday's 7 p.m. game against the Arizona Rattlers.

Warner, who went from the Barnstormers to an all-pro career in the NFL before retiring after last season, will be in Des Moines to broadcast the game for the NFL Network.

"We think it's great for the Barnstormer fans to have him back," said Jeff Lamberti, the Barnstormers' managing owner. "He is clearly the most famous Iowa Barnstormer and most famous guy coming out of arena football. He's great for our league, and we're thrilled that he wants to broadcast our game."

Lamberti began working on the ceremony several months ago with Warner and Brett Bouchy, who is the Arizona Rattlers' owner and a friend of Warner's.

"Brett and I targeted this date and said hopefully, we can make this work," Lamberti said. "It just seemed like the perfect thing. We worked on it for a long time, and it all came together on Friday."

Warner is from Cedar Rapids and played at Northern Iowa. He led the Barnstormers to consecutive Arena Bowl appearances in 1996-97.

Warner went on to the NFL, where he was the leadue's Most Valuable Player in 1999 and 2001 and led the St. Louis Rams to Super Bowl XXXIV in 2000, where he was the game's MVP.

As part of the ceremony, tickets in the 200 level of Wells Fargo Arena will be $13, $3 to $5 less than normal.

In addition, there will be a small luncheon with Warner at noon Friday to benefit his not-for-profit First Things First foundation, with the donation being $2,500.

"I got asked, 'Did Kurt expect anything in return?' No, he never asked us for anything," Lamberti said. "Back when this first started, we made the offer to raise money for his charity. We knew it was important to him, but personally, he didn't ask for anything."

The Barnstormers haven't given a player Warner's No. 13 jersey since the franchise was re-formed in 2008.

"The only number 13 jersey that I know exists is in the possession of (sportscaster) Keith Murphy, because we made one up for channel 13," said Matt Strawn, another of the Barnstormers' owners. "I may have to ask for it back."
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -05-17-2010, 06:13 PM.

Re: Barnstormers Will Honor Kurt Warner At Friday's Game

This is awesome.....Kurt will never be forgotten!
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Re: Barnstormers Will Honor Kurt Warner At Friday's Game

Well deserved!
      Now they shouldn't be the last team to honor Warner... if you know what I mean.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Guam rammer
        Kurt Warner
        by Guam rammer
        Super happy to know that he began his career as a Ram and brought them to the SB twice with a 1-1 record (would've been 2-0 if the cheats were'nt cheats) And who knows, if Mad Mike didnt pull the plug too soon we could've probably gotten more. All Warner was missing yesterday was some DBs and STEVEN JACKSON!!!
        -01-17-2010, 01:41 AM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Bernie: Kurt Warner Has Every Reason To Retire Now
        by r8rh8rmike
        Kurt Warner has every reason to retire now

Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        01/18/2010

When Kurt Warner got mashed into the ground on a vicious but clean hit by New Orleans defensive end Bobby McCray, I automatically assumed the worst.

That's it.

We've just seen the end of Kurt's career.

And what a horrible, depressing way for him to go.

What were we supposed to think? Warner was rolling around on the turf, eyes blinking. He seemed disoriented. He was in pain. He's 38 years old. He's endured multiple injuries in his career, including five concussions. The Saints were already up by two touchdowns in the second quarter of this NFC playoff game, and would go on to win by 31.

When Warner threw that interception, looked to make a tackle, and ended up blind-sided by McCray, it appeared to be the final blow.

Fortunately, the immediate repercussions weren't as severe as feared. Warner was shaken up, but returned in the second half. That's good, but it still doesn't ease the big-picture fears and the concerns over Warner's long-term health and future.

I hope Warner will walk away from the game. What else does he have to prove? I believe he's already done enough to warrant selection to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Just look at a partial list of all that he's accomplished since entering the NFL with the Rams in 1998: Two-time league MVP with the Rams; Super Bowl MVP and championship with the Rams; three-highest passing-yardage days in Super Bowl history; 52 300-yard games; the only NFL quarterback to throw 100 touchdown passes for two teams; nine postseason victories; the second-best passer rating (102.8) in NFL postseason history; and guiding two down-and-out franchises to the Super Bowl.

There's nothing left for Warner to gain, but he has much to lose. Kurt and wife Brenda have seven children at home. As Warner told me in an interview earlier this year, he wants to be healthy and vibrant and immersed in their lives.

Warner wants to enjoy being a grandfather some day and without limitations brought on by football-related debilitation. Warner has given 11 years of his life to the NFL but says he wants to be sure that the best years of his life to go to his family.

And it won't be easy for Warner to continue rebounding from injuries. After all, it took him a few years to recover from the hand injuries, concussions and harsh beatings he took in St. Louis before finally regenerating his career in Arizona. And Warner was younger then. He'll be 39 if he chooses to play the 2010 season.

Last fall, the results of a preliminary study commissioned by the NFL indicated that former NFL players have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease or similar memory-related diseases at a dramatically higher rate than the national...
        -01-18-2010, 11:55 AM
      • ShaneFalco
        Kurt Warner
        by ShaneFalco
        "Im not sure what the Rams are doing dropping down and taking linemen. If I was Bradford I would be wanting weapons, you know, go out and get me some weapons!"

Warner on NFL network right now.
        -04-26-2012, 09:08 PM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Kurt Warner Ends His Storybook Career
        by r8rh8rmike
        Kurt Warner ends his storybook career

By Jim Thomas
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        01/30/2010

He walked into the room in typical Kurt Warner style, with humility in his heart and a Bible in his hand. And then directly and with clarity announced what everyone expected: that he was retiring after 12 storybook seasons in the NFL.

In no way did he seem conflicted about his decision. The only time he got emotional was after he brought wife Brenda and their seven children onstage at Friday's news conference in Tempe, Ariz.

The MVP awards, the Super Bowls, the amazing statistics will always be associated with Warner. But that's not really what Warner wants as his legacy.

"The one thing that I always want to leave people with ... is that anything is possible," Warner said. "I think that's one of the reasons that God's placed me up here and allowed me to do what I do. To encourage people out there that although sometimes it doesn't look really bright, and there's moments you want to give up ... that anything's possible.

"I hope that when people think back on my career ... that that's what they remember more than anything else. Not the way I threw the football. Not particular games that I won. That they remember that here's a guy that believed, that worked hard, and although things didn't always go in his favor, he continued to press through. And with his faith in himself and with his faith in God, he was able to accomplish great things. That's what I want everybody to remember."

How could we ever forget?

From grocery store clerk in Iowa to triggerman for the Greatest Show on Turf. It was a made-for-TV movie if ever there was one. But then came the wrenching loss to New England in Warner's second Super Bowl. Injuries. The Brenda-gate controversies with Mike Martz.

After his unceremonious release by the Rams following the 2003 season, Warner seemed lost in the wilderness career-wise with the New York Giants, and initially, with the Arizona Cardinals.

"After leaving the Giants, it looked like that was probably it," current Rams general manager Billy Devaney said. "There were questions about him, about his thumb. And then he puts on the glove (on his throwing hand for the 2007 season)."

And suddenly, it was vintage Warner once again, and for the second time in his career he took a woebegone franchise to the Super Bowl. Call it the rise and fall and rise again of Warner.

"It's absolutely one of the most amazing stories in sports," said Charley Armey, Rams GM during most of Warner's six-year stay in St. Louis. "It probably never happens again in our lifetime."

"It's an unbelievable story," said Dick Vermeil, head coach of the Rams' Super Bowl championship team. "No quarterback...
        -01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
      • masi
        Warner vs. Marino
        by masi
        Yesterday i had a discussion with a friend who is a huge Dan Marino's fan. He said that Dan's records will never nbe broken and that our Kurt Warner should be renamed Kurt "one-year-wonder" Warner, because he'll not be able to repeat 1999 and 2000 numbers.
        I think Kurt has all the skills to reach and surpass most of the Marino achievements, and i'm realy convinced that without the injury, a lot of Marino's record would have already be broken last season.

And... Kurt has one thing marino will never have: a ring :cool: :cool: :cool:
        -06-18-2001, 12:54 PM
      Working...
      X