Texas or USC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas or USC?

With the third overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans select Vince Young, QB, University of Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by LaRamsFanLongTime
      One I never made that claim.

Two I am just tired of all these haters who are not even fans of the Texans opening their mouths to discredit USC. Regardless of what anybody thinks of their schedule they also have beaten the big teams in the Bowls. Say weak schedule all you want, at that level of competition going undefeated for 3 seasons is incredible.
      You responded to my questioning of SC as the greatest team ever, so you didn't make the claim, but you defended it.

I do hate SC, but does that mean I can't have an opinion of how they have played this year? I thought they were vulnerable, and as it turns out, they were.

In the end, SC had no answer for Vince Young, and Texas was able to contain Reggie Bush. Texas was the better team in the clutch, and deserved to be national champions. HOOKED EM.
      Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -01-05-2006, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike
        Texas was able to contain Reggie Bush
        Is 174 yards on 19 touches (9.15 yards per touch) with a touchdown really containing Reggie Bush though? I guess you could make the case that they did since Bush didn't have a Fresno State or UCLA kind of game, but I think he still got his numbers, and probably would have had more work had the north/south game with LenDale White not been producing so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
          Well then you've missed him being in on a number of good tackles, including a nice open field tackle on Dominique Byrd to save a first down.
          That was a thing of beauty. Whenever a 200 lb DB can bring down a 270 TE in the open field, I have to raise a glass to them.
          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
            Is 174 yards on 19 touches (9.15 yards per touch) with a touchdown really containing Reggie Bush though? I guess you could make the case that they did since Bush didn't have a Fresno State or UCLA kind of game, but I think he still got his numbers, and probably would have had more work had the north/south game with LenDale White not been producing so much.
            I'll agree Bush got his numbers, but Texas kept him from really taking over the game and dominating with huge chunks of yardage on a consistant basis. So many times this year he single handedly destoyed and demoralized the opposition by running rough shod over anyone in his way, but Texas was able to slow him down and keep him from being the determining factor. Still a great effort by a great back.

Comment

The only thing I ever questioned is the easy schedule BS. Which was part of your argument. To imply that a team go's undefeted for 3 seasons merely because of their schedule is ridiculous. USC had an incredible run that few teams in college history have or will rival. They have become a part of college history.

And yes the horns deserve credit for defeating USC. Young is the man.

Comment

Originally posted by LaRamsFanLongTime
                The only thing I ever questioned is the easy schedule BS. Which was part of your argument. To imply that a team go's undefeted for 3 seasons merely because of their schedule is ridiculous. USC had an incredible run that few teams in college history have or will rival. They have become a part of college history.

And yes the horns deserve credit for defeating USC. Young is the man.
                I only questioned some tough wins against mediocre competition, not the stength of their schedule. To me, it showed that SC was not unbeatable and would not dominate Texas.

You're absolutely right that SC had an amazing run that was one of the best ever. They were great champions and have nothing to be ashamed of. I'm a die hard UCLA fan, so there is obviously no love lost when it comes to SC, but there is also no denying the greatness they exhibited the last three years. Against Texas, they fought like champions.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
                  Texas Itching to End Sooners' Winning Streak
                  by DJRamFan
                  Longhorns looking for first win in six tries

Oct. 3, 2005

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - After all the talk about beating Oklahoma and possibly ending the losing streak, this is the week the No. 2 Texas Longhorns finally get their chance to do it.

This year's Texas-Oklahoma matchup in Dallas is the 100th anniversary in a bitter border rivalry that has Longhorns fans more interested in its ugly recent history than its glorious distant past.

"We owe them one," Texas senior offensive tackle Jonathan Scott said before the season started.

Make that several.

Texas (4-0, 1-0 Big 12) hasn't beaten the Sooners (2-2, 1-0) since 1999, when Major Applewhite rallied the Longhorns from an early 17-0 deficit for a 38-28 victory. It was Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops' first season in Norman and his only loss to Texas' Mack Brown.

The Red River Rivalry has been all-Oklahoma since.

In 2000, it was a 63-14 romp that catapulted a developing Sooners program toward a national title. In 2003, it was another Oklahoma rout - 65-13 - that was Texas quarterback Vince Young's baptism by fire. Oklahoma thumped Texas again last year 12-0, the first time Texas had been shut out since 1980.

The Sooners' five-game winning streak has embarrassed the Longhorns and frustrated Brown's quest for his first conference title as a head coach.

So what makes Longhorns fans think this year can be different? Chalk it up to changes on both sides of the Red River.

Texas entered the season ranked No. 2 coming off its Rose Bowl win over Michigan and solidified its standing as a national title favorite with a 25-22 win at Ohio State on Sept. 10.

Young's leadership, the emergence of freshman tailback Jamaal Charles and the dominating play of a veteran defense give this year's Texas team an aura of toughness it hasn't had in recent years.

And Oklahoma is struggling. The departure of key players off last year's national title-game team, the hit-and-miss play of freshman quarterback Rhett Bomar and two early losses to TCU and UCLA make the Sooners appear ripe for their first loss in Dallas in the new century.

Oh, and sophomore running back Adrian Peterson is banged up. He left the Sooners' 43-21 win over Kansas State on Saturday night in the second quarter with an ankle injury. Stoops said after the game that Peterson will be OK to play against Texas.

Bomar hasn't played in this rivalry, yet hardly sounds nervous about what he might face in a game that has created nearly as many goats as heroes of late.

"This team, when it comes to the Texas game, we have confidence. We have that swagger," Bomar said. "A lot of people might count us out just like that, but we're going to go down there with all...
                  -10-03-2005, 05:21 PM
                • socalramfan
                  Usc Or Ucla?
                  by socalramfan
                  Lets Here The Scores As Well I Say The Bruins Kick Their A**
                  -12-03-2005, 11:04 AM
                • LaRamsFanLongTime
                  USC is simply the best
                  by LaRamsFanLongTime
                  Sorry boys but why even watch this year. USC will be national champs no matter what team they play in the final game.
                  -11-18-2004, 01:52 PM
                • RamWraith
                  Kipers top 5 at each position
                  by RamWraith
                  Quarterbacks
                  1. Matt Leinart, USC
                  2. Vince Young, Texas (Junior)
                  3. Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
                  4. Brodie Croyle, Alabama
                  5. Charlie Whitehurst, Clemson

Running Backs
                  1. Reggie Bush, USC (Junior)
                  2. DeAngelo Williams, Memphis
                  3. LenDale White, USC (Junior)
                  4. Laurence Maroney, Minnesota (Junior)
                  5. Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin (Junior)
                  5a. Jerome Harrison, Washington State
                  5b. Joseph Addai, LSU

Fullbacks
                  1. Lawrence Vickers, Colorado
                  2. Garrett Mills, Tulsa
                  3. J.D. Runnels, Oklahoma
                  4. Matt Bernstein, Wisconsin
                  5. David Kirtman, USC

Wide Receivers
                  1. Santonio Holmes, Ohio State (Junior)
                  2. Sinorice Moss, Miami
                  3. Maurice Stovall, Notre Dame
                  4. Greg Jennings, Western Michigan
                  5. Cory Rodgers, TCU (Junior)
                  5a. Travis Wilson, Oklahoma
                  5b. Chad Jackson, Florida (Junior)

Tight Ends
                  1. Vernon Davis, Maryland (Junior)
                  2. Leonard Pope, Georgia (Junior)
                  3. Anthony Fasano, Notre Dame (Junior)
                  4. Dominique Byrd, USC
                  5. Owen Daniels, Wisconsin
                  5a. Marcedes Lewis, UCLA
                  5b. Joe Klopfenstein, Colorado
                  5c. David Thomas, Texas

Tackles
                  1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia
                  2. Winston Justice, USC (Junior)
                  3. Marcus McNeill, Auburn
                  4. Ryan O'Callaghan, California
                  5. Jeremy Trueblood, Boston College
                  5a. Andrew Whitworth, LSU
                  5b. Eric Winston, Miami

Guards
                  1. Taitusi "Deuce" Lutui, USC
                  2. Max Jean-Gilles, Georgia
                  3. Kevin Spencer, Pittsburgh
                  4. Kevin Boothe, Cornell
                  5. Fred Matua, USC (Junior)
                  5a. Rob Sims, Ohio State
                  5b. Davin Joseph, Oklahoma

Centers
                  1. Nick Mangold, Ohio State
                  2. Jason Spitz, Louisville
                  3. Greg Eslinger, Minnesota
                  4. Ryan Cook, New Mexico
                  5. Todd Londot, Miami (Ohio)

Place Kickers
                  1. Josh Huston, Ohio State
                  2. Connor Hughes, Virginia
                  3. Kurt Smith, Virginia
                  4. Deric Yaussi, Wyoming
                  5. Jon Scifres, Missouri State

Defensive Ends
                  1. Mario Williams, NC State (Junior)
                  2. Tamba Hali, Penn State
                  3. Mathias Kiwanuka, Boston College
                  4. Kamerion Wimbley, Florida State
                  5. Manny Lawson, NC State
                  5a. Darryl Tapp, Virginia Tech
                  5b. Ray Edwards, Purdue (Junior)
                  5c. Mark Anderson, Alabama
                  5d. Jason Hatcher, Grambling

Defensive Tackles
                  1. Haloti Ngata, Oregon (Junior)
                  2. Orien Harris, Miami
                  3. Claude Wroten, LSU
                  4. Brodrick Bunkley, Florida State
                  5. Gabe Watson, Michigan
                  5a. Titus Adams, Nebraska

Inside Linebackers
                  1. D'Qwell Jackson, Maryland
                  2. Abdul Hodge, Iowa
                  3. Kai Parham, Virginia (Junior)...
                  -02-04-2006, 08:53 AM
                • laram0
                  UCLA upsetting #2 USC
                  by laram0
                  10-9 UCLA entering the 4th Quarter....YAHOO.......!!
                  -12-02-2006, 04:58 PM
                Working...
                X