X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State women's group upset by Paterno comments, asks him to resign

State women's group upset by Paterno comments, asks him to resign

January 8, 2006

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- A leader from the women's rights group NOW has asked Joe Paterno to resign over comments the Penn State football coach made about an alleged sexual assault.

Joanne Tosti-Vasey, president of the National Organization for Women in Pennsylvania, said Sunday that she was "appalled" by Paterno's comments last week and that they represent an institutional insensitivity that endangers women.

Paterno's remarks came a day before the Orange Bowl, when a reporter asked about Florida State linebacker A.J. Nicholson, who was accused of sexual assault and sent home before Tuesday's game.

Paterno replied by talking about past suspensions of Penn State players. He then added: "There's some tough -- there's so many people gravitating to these kids. He may not have even known what he was getting into, Nicholson. They knock on the door; somebody may knock on the door; a cute girl knocks on the door. What do you do?"

"Geez. I hope -- thank God they don't knock on my door because I'd refer them to a couple of other rooms," Paterno continued. "But that's too bad. You hate to see that. I really do. You like to see a kid end up his football career. He's a heck of a football player, by the way; he's a really good football player. And it's just too bad."

Tosti-Vasey issued a news release calling for Paterno to apologize and step down from the post he has held for 40 years. She sent an e-mail to Paterno and the university president the next day, but said Sunday she has not heard back from either.

"Allegations of sexual assault should never be taken lightly," the statement reads. "Making light of sexual assault sends the message that rape is something to be expected and accepted."

Penn State spokesman Bill Mahon said Sunday that Paterno's comments were taken out of context. A spokeswoman at the NOW headquarters in Washington said the organization's president, Kim Gandy, supports the call for Paterno's resignation.

Guido D'Elia, communications director for Penn State football, said Paterno made his remarks in the larger context of distractions in the bowl-game environment. Nor, he said, did Paterno intend to make light of the assault allegations.

"I think if you were present, you understood he meant no malice," D'Elia said Saturday. "If you heard his tone, he really thought it was too bad for everybody. He was concerned for everybody."

No charges have been filed against Nicholson, although police in Florida said the matter remains open.

Tosti-Vasey said Sunday that Paterno's comments are the latest in a series of insensitive actions by the university's athletic department. The Pennsylvania NOW branch criticized the university in 2003 after a football player accused of sexual assault was allowed to play in a bowl game.

Last year, former Penn State women's basketball player Jennifer Harris started a discrimination complaint against coach Rene Portland, claiming that she was harassed by the coach to change her appearance because she was not "feminine enough."

Re: State women's group upset by Paterno comments, asks him to resign

So let me get this straight. This lady wants Paterno to step down for a comment that she didn't even hear for herself. Yet, apparently....
    "Making light of sexual assault sends the message that rape is something to be expected and accepted."
    ...she has taken it upon herself to convict Nicholson of rape?
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Joanne Tosti-Vasey, president of the National Organization for Women in Pennsylvania, said Sunday that she was "appalled" by Paterno's comments last week and that they represent an institutional insensitivity that endangers women.
      The AP reports that Tosti-Vasey's husband was later quoted as saying, "Hey bi**h, get your fat a** back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich!"
      "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison
        So let me get this straight. This lady wants Paterno to step down for a comment that she didn't even hear for herself. Yet, apparently.... ...she has taken it upon herself to convict Nicholson of rape?
        Yeah, there's a bit of hypocracy here. Maybe everyone (Paterno, NOW) should wait for the facts and then comment.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• txramsfan
          Courtney Paris to creat community fund
          by txramsfan
          Courtney Paris to create community fund
          By VIN A. CHERWOO, AP Sports Writer
          Apr 9, 6:46 pm EDT

SECAUCUS, N.J. (AP)—Courtney Paris still wants to give back to Oklahoma.

The Sooners’ four-time All-American had promised to pay back her scholarship if she didn’t lead Oklahoma to a national title. The Sooners fell short in the Final Four against Louisville, but athletic director Joe Castiglione said Tuesday the university wouldn’t hold Paris to her promise.

So instead Paris says she plans to set up a fund that will go to the needy in Oklahoma.

“We’re working on something, trying to corroborate and make some kind of fund that kicks back into the community,” Paris said Thursday after being selected by the Sacramento Monarchs with the seventh pick in the WNBA draft.

The cost of four years at Oklahoma has been estimated conservatively at $64,000, but the price could be even higher since Paris, the daughter of former NFL offensive lineman Bubba Paris, came from California and would have had to establish residence in Oklahoma to pay in-state tuition.

“We have a great, great university, and our athletic director wouldn’t accept the money back,” Paris said. “But I feel like there is something I can do to help the state of Oklahoma because they’ve supported me so much and I’ve had the best four years playing with them.”

Paris’ base salary in the WNBA this season is expected to be around $41,000.

What? Not one mock draft posted for the WNBA?

-04-10-2009, 01:30 PM
        • DJRamFan
          Weis Uses Play Called By 10-Year-Old Boy Dying Of Inoperable Brain Tumor
          by DJRamFan
          Notre Dame won going away at Washington

Sept. 25, 2005

College Football Recap: Week 4

Saturday's Best | Photo Gallery
          No. 4 Va. Tech Crushes 15th-Ranked GT | USF Stuns No. 9 Louisville
          Minnesota Upends No. 11 Purdue In Two OTs | No. 12 Miami Stymies Buffs

------------ Top 25 Game Recaps ------------ -------- SATURDAY -------- No. 1 USC 45, Oregon 13 No. 4 Va. Tech 51, No. 15 Ga. Tech 7 No. 5 Florida 49, Kentucky 28 No. 7 Georgia 23 Mississippi State 10 No. 8 OSU 31, No. 21 Iowa 6 South Florida 45 No. 9 Louisville 14 Minn. 42, No. 11 Purdue 35 (2 OT) No. 12 Miami 23, Colorado 3 Wisconsin 23, No. 14 Michigan 20 No. 16 Notre Dame 36, Washington 17 No. 17 MSU 61, Illinois 14 No. 18 Arizona St. 42, Oregon St. 24 No. 19 Texas Tech 63 Indiana State 7 No. 20 Alabama 24, Arkansas 13 No. 23 Virginia 38, Duke 7 --------- FRIDAY ----------- No. 13 Cal 41, New Mexico State 13 No. 22 Iowa State 28, Army 21 ----------

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) - Charlie Weis doesn't usually let anyone else call plays on offense. He made an exception for 10-year-old Montana Mazurkiewicz.

The Notre Dame coach met last week with Montana, who had been told by doctors weeks earlier that there was nothing more they could do to stop the spread of his inoperable brain tumor.

"He was a big Notre Dame fan in general, but football especially," said his mother, Cathy Mazurkiewicz.

Weis showed up at the Mazurkiewicz home in Mishawaka, just east of South Bend, and talked with Montana about his tumor and about Weis' 10-year-old daughter, Hannah, who has global development delay, a rare disorder similar to autism.

He told Montana about some pranks he played on Joe Montana - whom Montana was named after - while they were roommates at Notre Dame.

"I gave him a chance to hammer me on the Michigan State loss, which he did very well. He reminded me of my son," said Weis, whose son, Charlie Jr., is 12 years old.

Weis said the meeting was touching.

"He told me about his love for Notre Dame football and how he just wanted to make it through this game this week," Weis said. "He just wanted to be able to live through this game because he knew he wasn't going to live very much longer."

As Weis talked to the boy, Cathy Mazurkiewicz rubbed her son's shoulder trying to ease his pain. Weis said he could tell the boy was trying not to show he was in pain.

His mother told Montana, who had just become paralyzed from the waist down a day earlier because of the tumor, to toss her a football Weis had given him. Montana tried to throw the football, put could barely lift it. So Weis climbed into the reclining chair with him and helped him complete the pass to his mother.

Before...
          -09-25-2005, 05:12 PM
        • txramsfan
          Colorado is a mess.....
          by txramsfan
          http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/colleg.../story/7425946

Colorado prez brought to tears over vulgarity controversy

DENVER -- The University of Colorado president began to cry during an interview after the release of a transcript that showed her refusing to condemn a football player's alleged use of a vulgar anatomical term to describe a female teammate.

An attorney told Betsy Hoffman during a heated legal deposition this month in a federal court case that the vulgar reference had been used by a player to describe then-teammate Katie Hnida.

The attorney asked Hoffman whether she thought the term was "a filthy and vile word."

Hoffman replied it was a "swear word" and its meaning depended on the circumstances in which it was used, according to a copy of the June 5 deposition released by the school Tuesday.

Asked if it could ever be used in a polite context, Hoffman replied: "Yes, I've actually heard it used as a term of endearment."

Hoffman defended her answer Tuesday in a meeting with Durango Herald reporters and editors, but said she should have phrased it differently.

"I was immediately sorry I said it," she said.

Hoffman began to cry at one point in the discussion at the Herald and left the room briefly to compose herself, the newspaper reported.

University spokeswoman Michele Ames said Hoffman knows the word has "negative connotations" today but it did not in its original use centuries ago.

"Because she is a medieval scholar, she is also aware of the long history of the word dating back to at least Chaucer," Ames said.

Fourteenth-century English writer Geoffrey Chaucer used the word in his sometimes-bawdy classic The Canterbury Tales.

The deposition came in a lawsuit filed by three other women who say they were sexually assaulted by football athletes in 2001.

A member of the Board of Regents and others said they were appalled by what they called Hoffman's lack of sensitivity.

The comments recalled football coach Gary Barnett's ill-fated description of Hnida in February as an "awful player" after she told Sports Illustrated she had been raped by a teammate in 2000.

Barnett was suspended shortly afterward by Hoffman, who said his comments about Hnida and another woman accusing an athlete of rape had stunned her.

Regent Jim Martin called Hoffman's comments "more outrageous" because they were made under oath by the university's top leader.

"I'm embarrassed for the university, I'm embarrassed for her and, quite frankly, it shocks the sense of human decency," Martin said. "She needs to give an immediate apology."

Hoffman had consistently...
          -06-17-2004, 01:08 PM
        • DJRamFan
          Georgia Tech Lineman Clings To Hope In Aruba Disappearance
          by DJRamFan
          Nate McManus was on the same trip as Natalee Halloway

Aug. 29, 2005

ATLANTA (AP) - Nate McManus took the same graduation trip as Natalee Holloway.

Now, as McManus prepares for his first season as a starter on Georgia Tech's offensive line, he tries to keep up with news about the missing Alabama teen, clinging to hope that she might be found alive in Aruba.

"I was at home when I heard the news," McManus recalled. "Everybody was like, 'Oh, she missed the plane. She must have fallen asleep somewhere.' Then a day became two days. Then it became weeks."

Holloway was a year behind McManus at Mountain Brook High School in suburban Birmingham, Ala. She was on the dance team that performed at football games and, while the two weren't especially close, they did share many of the same friends.

Holloway was last seen May 30 leaving a bar on the final night of a graduation trip to the Dutch Caribbean island. Extensive searches had produced no signs of her.

"I took the exact same senior trip that she did," McManus said. "I had the time of my life. It was awesome."

While three people have been detained in Holloway's disappearance, no one has been formally charged.

"It's tragic the way it was handled," McManus said. "A lot of things went really wrong. A series of mistakes led to this. It's really upsetting."

While distracted by the Holloway case, McManus' main focus has been on Saturday's season opener at No. 16 Auburn. He will be one of three new starters on the offensive line, taking over at right guard.

The revamped line is one of the major question marks for the Yellow Jackets, who are hoping for a breakout year after three straight seven-win seasons. Nagging injuries to McManus and others have hindered progress in the preseason.

"We're a new group, but we're tight," McManus said. "We've been underestimated since day one."

Coach Chan Gailey is a little more guarded in his assessment of the line.

"They've been OK but they're not where they need to be," he said. "Most of that is because of injuries. They've not had much time to play together."

When McManus lines up for his first college game, he'll be going against the school he rooted for most of his life.

"I was definitely an Auburn fan," he said. "Lots of my friends go to Auburn. They'll be at the game. It's going to be real exciting."

The Tigers offered McManus a scholarship, which left him torn about which school to attend.

"I was going out to eat with my parents, and it was between Auburn and Georgia Tech," he said. "I told them, 'This is the night....
          -08-30-2005, 07:57 PM
        • RamsFan16
          Penn State's Hali is from family of survivors
          by RamsFan16
          INDIANAPOLIS

Tamba Hali hasn't seen his mother since 1994, but that - he hopes - is about to change. While Hali fled to the United States to stay with his father, his mother stayed behind in war-torn Liberia.

"I just want her to be by my side," said Hali, a defensive end from Penn State. "It's been tough. First going through life with your mother; then going through the second half of your 22 years without her. You deal with it and work through it. That's how life is. Full of adversity."

Few players at the NFL scouting combine have been exposed to the level of adversity faced by Hali and his family.

"The first time we got attacked (by rebels), the plane came down," Hali recalled. "We were sitting there. I remember my mother was cooking. Gunfire just started erupting all over the place."

Such incidents happened with increasing frequency in Liberia, then in the midst of a civil war.

"So we went into hiding," Hali said. "My stepdad got a car, and we went to a village far away from the city. ... Certain people would hide us. We'd have places to stay in little huts. You find ways to manage. You find ways to eat, cook and all of that. We'd spend six months there and then come back out."

When military action heated up again, they'd head back to the countryside. Sometimes death was all around.

"Sometimes it would be just one (body)," Hali said. "Sometimes you'd see a stack of bodies sitting on the side of the road while you were walking. A lot of kids (in Liberia) weren't educated. A lot of them would be running around killing people for no reason.

"It's hard to explain to people what it's like to actually be in that situation, feeling like, 'Maybe today I could die, or see other people get killed.'"

A couple of years ago, his mother, Rachel Keita, was shot in the leg.

"She was walking with three or four other friends," Hali said. "They were walking in Monrovia. What I hear is that three other people got killed, and she got shot in the knee. By God's grace she's still alive."

It may be difficult for Hali to fully explain his experiences to others. But he's getting plenty of practice during the interview sessions with teams at the combine.

"We interviewed him (Friday) night," said New York Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi. "I was just overwhelmed with not only his story, but the way he told it. He's such a thoughtful, intellectual, moving person. ... I tell you what, you could hear a pin drop in our interview room when he was done telling us (his) story."

Many chapters remain in Hali's story, many of which might deal with his burgeoning football career. A defensive tackle his first two seasons at Penn State, Hali blossomed...
          -02-27-2006, 06:18 AM
        Working...
        X