College Football Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football Teams

What college football teams do you all root for?

I am not a big college football fan, simply because I devote most of my available football time to the Rams. I will root for any Pacific Northwest college football team...

However, I am first and foremost a fan of the...

Washington State Cougars

Re: College Football Teams

The West Virginia Mountaineers. I'm already selling 2004 Big East Champs t-shirts if anyone is interested. ;)

Comment

Norte Dame Fighting Irish
      :ram:

Comment

Canes

Maineram

Comment

The Arkansas Razorbacks

Whoooooooooooo PIG SOOIE!

Comment

As a graduate of Memphis State University, I follow the Tigers when I can.

However, living in Austin has turned me into a pseudo Horns fan.

However, as a good native of PB, MO...... M I Z - Z O U!!!!!

Comment

Wisconsin Badgers

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan
                As a graduate of Memphis State University, I follow the Tigers when I can.

However, living in Austin has turned me into a pseudo Horns fan.

However, as a good native of PB, MO...... M I Z - Z O U!!!!!
                TX, you're from the Bluff! I grew up in Kennett.

As far as college football... Go Harding University Bison!
                The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Michigan Wolverine's!

Go Blue!!!
                  This space for rent...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• OldRamsfan
                    From The Top
                    by OldRamsfan
                    General descriptionHope you enjoy

Before the 19th century, when modern forms of football first emerged, the name "football" was applied to a wide variety of codes of rules with widely-differing rules. Although there are mentions of native Americans playing ball games, modern American football has its origins in traditional ball games played at villages and schools in Europe for many centuries before America was settled by Europeans. There are reports of early settlers at Jamestown, Virginia playing games with inflated balls in the early 17th century.

As is the case with many sports, modern football games were popularized in the USA by students at and/or from elite schools and universities. These appear to have had much in common with the traditional "mob football" played in England, especially on Shrove Tuesday. By 1820, a notoriously violent game known as "ballown" began to be played at the College of New Jersey (later known as Princeton University). Also by the 1820s, students at Dartmouth College were playing a kicking game that would be called Old Division Football (for which they published rules in 1871). In 1827 a Harvard University student composed a humorous epic poem called The Battle of the Delta, one of the first accounts of football in American universities.

Varieties of "football"

Within the spectrum of modern football codes there are several "families", which have diverged from and/or influenced each other in their development. Many of these games have their origins in varieties of football played in England. By the 1850s, the two main families of football in England were the "kicking games", in which the ball was mostly kicked along the ground, and the "running games", in which the ball was mostly carried by players. Some codes combined elements from both families. In 1845, at Rugby School in England, rugby football became the first of the running games to have codified rules. The best-known of the kicking games is "Association Football" (a name commonly shortened to "soccer"), which began with the code devised in 1863 in England, by The Football Association.

The origins of American football

Oneida Football Club, 1861

The Oneida Football Club, formed in Boston in 1861 is claimed by some sources as the first American football team. However, no one knows what rules the club used.They may have played "kicking" games, "running" games, both or some hybrid form. The latter seems most likely, since the "Oneidas" are often credited with inventing the "Boston Game", which both allowed players to kick a round ball along the ground, and to pick it up and run with it. The game seems to have been popular in Massachusetts (at least) in the mid-19th century: for example, there are references to it being
                    -05-31-2006, 11:55 AM
                  • spackey
                    Serbian Rams fan ! Its me !!!
                    by spackey
                    Hallo !
                    I`m RAMS fan :bash: from Serbia !
                    Sorry because my English is not very good but I hope you
                    understand me... :\
                    I LOVE RAMS very mutch, and American football is my favorite
                    sport.
                    THANKS to Americans for the best sport on the EARTH !!!
                    -01-17-2007, 03:53 PM
                  • Tampa_Ram
                    Demps to pursue Olympic and Track career.
                    by Tampa_Ram
                    Demps Running Track for Gators and Plans to Pursue Olympics and Pro Career Instead of NFL

By SCOTT CARTER
                    GatorZone.com Senior Writer

GAINESVILLE, Fla. University of Florida two-sport standout Jeff Demps is putting away any NFL aspirations to focus on his track career and a potential spot in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
                    Demps has decided to run for the Gators this spring and then will seek a professional track career rather than one in football. Demps informed Gators head coach Mike Holloway of his plan in recent days after making a final decision after the football season ended.
                    Once I got done with the Gator Bowl, I kind of already had my mind made up, it was just when was I going to tell everyone, Demps said Thursday morning. I enjoy track and its something I love to do. When Im out here, Im enjoying myself and having fun with the guys. I wanted to come back and run. Its somewhat of an individual sport, but its also a team sport. You win championships as a team.
                    Demps ended his Florida football career on Jan. 2 in Floridas 24-17 win over Ohio State. He began training with the UF track team this week and is shooting for a return to competition possibly as early as Feb. 3-4 at the Virginia Tech Elite Meet. The Gators open the indoor season on Saturday at the Alabama Invite in Birmingham.
                    Regardless of when Demps makes his debut, Holloway is glad to have the four-time national champion sprinter back with the program. Demps is the two-time defending NCAA Indoor 60-meter champion and flashed his Olympic potential when he set a 100-meter junior world record with a time of 10.01 seconds at the 2008 Olympic Trials, challenging Olympian Tyson Gay stride for stride in the heat.
                    The Gators open the season ranked No. 1 in the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Poll released earlier this week.
                    The biggest thing for me and Jeff and I have talked about this a lot since last summer I just wanted Jeff to be happy, Holloway said. Jeff has never really been a full-time track guy. He has always been a guy that played football and ran track. For him to have accomplished the things he has accomplished is phenomenal.
                    Im ecstatic. Obviously its big for our program. Jeff brings a different kind of energy to the track. When the other guys see him out there working as hard as he does, it gets them to step their game up a bit. We are a big family out here and hes a member of the family.
                    Demps said he spoke recently with his parents and guardian about his desire to continue his track career. While some saw his decision to return for his senior season in football as a sign he was giving up track, Demps said that was never the case.
                    Instead, it was important to him to be a part of the team and he said he felt an obligation to the program since...
                    -01-14-2012, 03:43 AM
                  • HUbison
                    Harding football
                    by HUbison
                    a few shots from my alma mater
                    -04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
                  • SFCRamFan
                    Football Book of Wisdom
                    by SFCRamFan
                    I often hear fans refer to football games as a war. As a career soldier, I used to take offense to that, but I have softened my stance on this type of hyperbole. I found this simple little book of quotes from football coaches and found that the Introduction makes a good point concerning this oft overused reference:

"Art imitates life, and football imitates war. In football, as in battle, victory depends upon sufficient training, careful planning, adequate resources, superior manpower and proper motivation. At the line of scrimmage, foot soldiers engage in hand-to-hand combat. Behind center, a commanding officer takes the snap. From the sidelines, a general and his staff devise strategy and inspire troops. In the press box, owners and administrators provide civilian oversight. And the whole spectacle is carefully watched by millions of excited partisans.

Thankfully, football is a battle without permanent casualties. With few exceptions, player injuries are fleeting and soon forgotten. But lessons learned on the field of play may last a lifetime.

This book (Football Book of Wisdom by Simon & Schuster) details the insights and humor of the gridiron's greatest warriors. Their collective wisdom sheds illumination on the game of football and the game of life.

In his memoirs, William Tecumseh Sherman wrote, "War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it." But before his death in 1891, Sherman witnessed the birth of a refined form of combat: American football. At the Battle of Fredricksburg, Sherman's nemesis, Robert E. Lee, observed, "It is well that war is so terrible, lest we should grow too fond of it." Americans still hate the tragedy of war, but we've come to love dearly the warrior sport that imitates it."

I like this narrative on the comparisons of football and war. As a result, I am proud to be a civilian observer each and every Sunday that our Rams "go to war" with that week's nemesis.

:l
                    -10-08-2006, 10:34 AM
                  Working...
                  X