I hope Mike Williams gets reinstated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope Mike Williams gets reinstated

He was just chasing the dream we all wish we had. Then when the court system screwed him, not necessarily Clarett, the NCAA committee should let him back in.

Re: I hope Mike Williams gets reinstated

Thought I read somewhere that he would be allowed to return. If there has not been a decision, then I agree, the NCAA should let him return.

Comment

Tx, just curious what you mean by "the court system screwed him."

The court ruled against clarett in a decision that was predicted by nearly every legal expert. the decision to overule the lower court was highly likely at the time that williams made his decision to come out. I am not necessarily disagreeing with the ability to reinstate him, but i think he took his chances with the court ruling and lost. I dont see how he got "screwed."

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

I'm undecided on this. It seemed obvious to me that whenever Williams announced he was coming out for the draft, the NFL was planning to or was in the process of appealing the ruling allowing players like him into the draft. Unless Williams was guaranteed that he'd be able to enter the NFL (at which point I'd say let him back in the NCAA), then he was taking a risk by declaring and obviously it didn't work out for him. But that was his risk to take. I just don't know.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
          USC still unsure of WR Williams' status
          by DJRamFan
          Aug. 24, 2004
          By Dennis Dodd
          SportsLine.com Senior Writer
          Tell Dennis your opinion!

It's looking less likely that USC receiver Mike Williams will play in Saturday's season opener against Virginia Tech.

Advertisement

Williams' eligibility status remained up in the air Tuesday, four days before the season begins. He is attempting to regain his amateur status after declaring for the NFL draft, hiring an agent and accepting money from his representative.

Coach of the No. 1 Trojans, an optimistic Pete Carroll, said on Tuesday there is a "possibility" that Williams could still play in the opener. However, time is running out.

USC faxed what is thought the be the final documents needed by the NCAA regarding Williams on Tuesday. The school now awaits the NCAA's decision.

A school source considered Williams' chance at reinstatement at "50-50 at best."

"It's been so frustrating of late that things have not been able to culminate to an end," Carroll said. "We'll just sit on it and see what happens."

With him, USC gets another Heisman Trophy candidate (quarterback Matt Leinart already is considered the favorite) added to its already powerful lineup. Without him, the Trojans will have to move on with a largely inexperienced, but talented, set of receivers.

USC already will be missing starting tailback Hershel Dennis, who is indefinitely suspended for a violation of team rules.

While there is no "drop dead" date for Williams to be able play this week, the team leaves for the Washington D.C. area on Thursday. Presumably, Williams could hop on a flight as late as Friday, if he is cleared.

"The NCAA has been so methodical about this," Carroll said. "I'm not surprised it's gone this long, just by the feel of it."

Williams has been held out of practice the past two weeks as USC put in the game plan for Virginia Tech. Most likely, there are three possible outcomes to his future:

He could be declared permanently ineligible by the NCAA;
          He could be reinstated by the NCAA;
          He could be reinstated by the NCAA after being suspended for one or more games.
          The 6-foot-5, 230-pound rising junior has been one of the most dominant receivers in the country the past two years. The Tampa, Fla., product caught 95 passes for 1,314 yards and 16 touchdowns last year in helping lead the Trojans to a co-national championship. He was projected as a first-round choice after declaring for the draft.

Advertisement

Williams declared for the NFL draft after Maurice Clarett's legal challenge briefly opened the door to players less than three years out of high school. The NFL retained its three-year rule because...
          -08-25-2004, 10:04 AM
        • Nick
          Mike Williams will NOT be reinstated to the NCAA
          by Nick
          http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1868537

I have to say I agree with the decision.
          -08-26-2004, 01:53 PM
        • MauiRam
          Goodell challenges Gregg Williams ..
          by MauiRam
          Bernie Bytes: Goodell challenges Gregg Williams
          Share |

* Story
          * Discussion

BY BERNIE MIKLASZ
          Monday, March 26, 2012

* If you think NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is in the mood to hit Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams with a lifetime ban from coaching in the NFL, guess again. Judging by Goodell's words to Williams, it appears that the Commish is willing to show mercy.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated disclosed the contents of a letter written by Goodell to Williams in handing down Williams' indefinite suspension for his leading role in the New Orleans' Bounty scandal.

According to the trustworthy King, this is what Goodell told Williams, and it obviously was intended to motivate Williams to do the right thing to gain reinstatement:

"I will review your status at the conclusion of the 2012 season and consider whether, and if so, on what terms, you may be reinstated and again eligible to be employed in the NFL. In making this decision, I will give considerable weight to the extent to which you cooperate with my office in any further proceedings, as well as developing and implementing programs designed to teach players and coaches -- particularly at other levels of the game -- how to play football in a way that is safe, fair, and that respects the game and those who participate in it ... I appreciate that this decision will be difficult for you. I hope you will use the opportunity to reflect on how you can return to the NFL in a way that honors the game and improves it for those who participate in it."

Goodell all but posted a five-point plan for Williams to follow to gain re-admittance to the NFL before the 2013 season. Goodell clearly wants Williams to take a positive and proactive role in speaking to high school players and coaches, college players and coaches, and youth football players and coaches.

Message: respect the game. Play hard and tough, but respect opponents and their families. Bounties are against the rules, and morally wrong. Do not let the inherent violence of the game, the desire to win, and the wolfpack mentality overtake your decency and common sense.

Williams should be comforted by Goodell's words.

Goodell is providing Williams with a path back to the NFL ...

* If Williams is reinstated, that doesn't mean the Rams will hire him back. It's too soon to know, though head coach Jeff Fisher clearly went out of his way last week to repeatedly praise Williams in a public setting. And don't forget that Fisher also hired Williams' son, Blake, as a defensive assistant. And Blake Williams isn't going anywhere (nor should he).

* But here's my question: can Williams be the same defensive coordinator when and if he returns? Williams has built his career on cultivating an aggressive, attacking and violent mindset...
          -03-26-2012, 03:42 PM
        • FestusRam
          So with the possibly inevitabld firing of Williams, does Mcginnis take his place?
          by FestusRam
          Well, ofcourse things were just going a little to good for our Rams this offseason, then this debacle is slammed in our face.

At first I thought Williams would survive this. I hoped he would. However, with the general perception that he will miss quite a few games over this, I dont see him making it. We cant have our DC missing significant time.

Besides, even if he isnt suspended, Fortuninerhater made a great point in another thread basically stating our defense will be under a microscope as long as hes here. Any injury or borderline "dirty play" to an opposing team will be scrutinized like no other. We really dont need that. Idk how anyone can disagree with that.

With that said, my front runner is obviously Mcginnis.

How does everyone feel about him as DC, perhaps compared to Williams, and what kind of defensive philosophy will we see him instill in our team?
          -03-05-2012, 06:16 PM
        • ZigZagRam
          SHOCKING: Ricky Williams Retires!
          by ZigZagRam
          Pre-camp decision stuns Dolphins

ESPN.com news services
          Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has told the team he plans to retire after just five NFL seasons, The Miami Herald reported on its Web site early Sunday morning.

"He wants to get on with his life, wants to move on to bigger and better things," Herald reporter and ESPN commentator Dan Le Betard told SportsCenter.

According to the Herald's report, Williams wants to travel the world and is tired of the demands and restraints of a professional football career.

"I just don't want to be in this business anymore," Williams told the paper. "I was never strong enough to not play football, but I'm strong enough now. I've considered everything about this. Everyone has thrown every possible scenario at me about why I shouldn't do this, but they're in denial. I'm happy with my decision.

"I'm finally free. I can't remember ever being this happy."

According to Le Batard, the Dolphins are stunned by the news and members of the organization are still trying to talk Williams out of his decision, one the Herald says should be finalized this week when Williams faxes his retirement papers to the league.

Williams was scheduled to make $3.7 million in each of the 2004 and '05 seasons, and $11.25 million in 2006, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported.

Last season, Williams rushed for 1,372 yards on 392 carries, averaging 3.5 yards. He has rushed for 1,000 or more yards in four of his five NFL seasons with the New Orleans Saints and the Dolphins, tallying 6,354 for his career. Williams also had 1,806 receiving yards on 229 catches.

Williams reportedly tested positive for marijuana on Dec. 10, 2003, and faced a fine of at least $650,000 for violating the league's substance-abuse policy for the second time.

The Saints traded virtually their 1999 entire draft to move up to No. 5 overall to take Williams, a Heisman Trophy winner at the University of Texas.
          -07-25-2004, 12:30 AM
        Working...
        X