• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASU's Keller considering a transfer

Carpenter elevated to starting spot, Keller considers leaving
    Associated Press
    College Football News Wire
    Updated: Aug. 21, 2006, 11:02 AM ET

TEMPE, Ariz. -- In an abrupt change, Arizona State coach Dirk Koetter has decided to make sophomore Rudy Carpenter the starting quarterback.

Senior Sam Keller, named the starter on Friday, was excused from the Sun Devils' practice Sunday night and is considering transferring to another school.

"It's simple. I made a mistake on the quarterback situation and I'm changing my mind," Koetter said after Sunday's workout. "We're going to start Rudy Carpenter. I've excused Sam Keller from practice to consider his options."

Koetter said he decided to make the switch on Saturday and told the quarterbacks of his change of mind later that day.

"Coach Koetter just said 'Hey, I'm going to do what's best for the team. I'm going to do what the team wants," Carpenter said. "I think the decision is going to affect the team in the best way and this is what we're going to do."

The team was told at a meeting Sunday afternoon.

"There's a lot of things that have happened," Carpenter said. "I'm not going to go into details about it, but with the quarterback situation like this, sometimes those things just happen."

According to the East Valley Tribune, several players requested a meeting with Koetter after the initial decision and told the coach they believed the job should go to Carpenter.

Neither Koetter nor Carpenter would confirm that the meeting took place.

"I talked to so many people about this," Koetter said. "This has been weighing heavy on my mind for a long, long time and I'm the one that screwed it up. I have to live with it. I'm also the one who has to fix it."

The 24th-ranked Sun Devils open their season Aug. 31 at home against Northern Arizona.

Keller has a redshirt season available, or he could transfer to an NCAA Division I-AA school and play immediately. Koetter said Keller is welcome to stay.

"I know the rumor is flying around there that he's been booted off the team. That's not true," Koetter said. "If Sam wants to come be our No. 2 quarterback, then we'd love to have him."

If Keller leaves, freshman Danny Sullivan, who had planned to redshirt this year, would become Carpenter's backup.

Carpenter was asked if he had thought of transferring after Koetter's initial decision to go with Keller.

"I'm not going to say I was considering leaving," he said, "but when you're put in that situation and you're frustrated and you're upset and you're angry, I think all your options weigh on your mind and they weigh heavily. Sometimes you've just got to do what's best for yourself."

Keller started the first seven games last season before going down with a hand injury. Carpenter came on to lead the country in passing efficiency, yards-per-pass attempt and touchdowns-to-interception ratio.

His performance led to a tight battle for the job going into this season.

Koetter had indicated that neither quarterback had outplayed the other in practice and that Keller largely was chosen because he was a senior. The coach said he had proposed going with a two-quarterback situation, but neither Keller nor Carpenter wanted that.

Last season, Keller completed 58 percent of his passes (155-for-264) for 2,165 yards and 20 touchdowns, with nine interceptions. Carpenter completed 68 percent (156-for-228) for 2,273 yards and 17 touchdowns, with just two interceptions.

On Friday night, Keller said he was "humbled" to get the starting job.

"It's a dream to be a senior and be able to play for all the marbles," Keller said at the time. "I'm very humbled by it because the other guy deserved it as much as I do."

Re: ASU's Keller considering a transfer

Source: ASU's Keller will enroll at Nebraska
    ESPN.com news services
    Monday, August 21, 2006
    Updated: August 22, 3:56 PM ET

Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller is expected to enroll at Nebraska, a source close to Keller told ESPN.com's Joe Schad on Tuesday.

An official announcement is expected Thursday. Keller, who was named the Sun Devils' starting quarterback on Friday only to lose the job to sophomore Rudy Carpenter two days later, had also considered transferring to Louisville or UTEP, not Colorado or Oklahoma, as reported elsewhere, the source said.

Mark Schlabach of ESPN.com reported earlier that Keller was told Monday by ASU coach Dirk Koetter that he would be released from his scholarship.

Keller's mother, Melissa Coveney, told Schad late Monday night that an official announcement was not likely until Thursday. But on Tuesday morning, Schad reported that Nebraska coaches had discussed Keller's pending arrival and that Nebraska's quarterbacks had been briefed on the decision.

Mike Keller, the quarterback's father, is a former professional football player and knows Nebraska coach Bill Callahan. Keller would have one season of eligibility left and would succeed senior Zac Taylor as Nebraska's starting QB in 2007.

The Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star reported on its Web site Monday night that two sources close to the Cornhuskers program said Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell had phoned the team's quarterbacks to inform them of the coaches' intent to bring Keller aboard. One of the sources, however, said "it's not a done deal."

The newspaper also reported that Mike Keller said his son had been released from his scholarship by Arizona State.

Keller, who started seven games for Arizona State last season before breaking his thumb, would have to sit out this coming season under NCAA transfer rules if he decides to leave the Sun Devils for another Division I-A program. He would have one season of eligibility remaining in 2007.

Keller was one of the top-rated passers in Division I-A in 2005 before he was hurt, completing 58 percent of his passes (155-for-264) for 2,165 yards with 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Carpenter rallied the Sun Devils to a 4-1 record in their last five games last season and was named MVP of Arizona State's 45-40 victory over Rutgers in the Insight Bowl. He led Division I-A in pass efficiency by completing 68 percent of his passes (156-for-228) for 2,273 yards with 17 touchdowns and only two interceptions.

The players were involved in one of the most intense position battles in college football during preseason camp. Koetter announced Keller would be the team's starting quarterback Friday, but then abruptly reversed his decision two days later after meeting with the school's athletic director and a group of team leaders.

"It's simple. I made a mistake on the quarterback situation and I'm changing my mind," Koetter said after Sunday's practice.

Keller, from Danville, Calif., would seem to be a perfect fit for Nebraska coach Bill Callahan's West Coast offense. Taylor is a senior, and highly regarded freshman Harrison Beck went AWOL during Nebraska's preseason camp and transferred to North Carolina State.

If Keller leaves Arizona State, the Sun Devils would have only one other scholarship quarterback on their roster: freshman Danny Sullivan.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
      By Eric Esteban Independent Florida Alligator
      by DJRamFan
      By Ryan Colaianni University Daily Kansan
      Lawrence, KS (U-WIRE) -- Although Kansas football coach Mark Mangino has not named a starter for this Saturday's game against Florida Atlantic, all signs are pointing to junior Adam Barmann.

Barmann started the first eight games last season, before suffering an apparent shoulder injury against Iowa State, ending his season. Barmann has since worked with the first team throughout spring practices and training camp.

"Adam Barmann has picked up some ground coming out of the summer program. He's probably the most prepared of our veteran quarterbacks," Mangino said. "He still has to continue to improve to win the job."

At the team's annual media day on Aug. 11, Barmann was asked if the starting quarterback job was his. He confidently answered "yeah."

He passed for 1,427 yards with 12 touchdowns over nine interceptions.

Pushing Barmann is senior Brian Luke.

Luke led the team to victory over Missouri last season, yet was listed behind Barmann and senior Jason Swanson on the depth chart when spring practices ended in April.

Since then, Luke went to Mangino and told him he wanted to be the starting quarterback.

"I made it clear that I do not want to be the back-up, that I want to be the starter," Luke said. "But should I be the back-up I will do that with 100 percent pride."

Mangino appreciated Luke talking to him in his office, rather than hearing it from another coach, Luke said.

"I am as confident as I have ever been. I know the offense better than I ever have before," Luke said. "I am definitely looking forward to this season."

Luke saw action in three games last year and his pass-efficiency rating was the highest of any of the team's quarterbacks. He passed for 467 yards and three touchdowns.

Luke also nearly led Kansas to a victory over Texas, the week before the Missouri contest.

"Brian Luke is a very good player who has a great command of the offense," Barmann said. "We have a lot of very good players at the quarterback position and it will make all of us better."

Freshman quarterback Kerry Meier is also still in the mix for the job, Mangino said.

"The young guy, Kerry Meier, each and every day he learns more and more about our offense," Mangino said. "You can see he's an awfully talented guy."

Mangino hasn't said whether Meier wouldn't receive a redshirt this season.

Senior quarterback Jason Swanson, who threw the go-ahead touchdown against Kansas State last season, apparently is not in the race for the starting job.

"Swanson's been slowed down. He doesn't take many...
      -08-29-2005, 06:10 PM
    • DJRamFan
      Price ready for fresh start at UTEP
      by DJRamFan
      Sept. 1, 2004
      SportsLine.com wire reports

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Mike Price is trying to keep a low-profile in his return to college football.

Price lost a $10 million job with Alabama last year for a night of partying at a strip club. He returns to coaching on a much smaller stage Thursday night, leading Texas-El Paso against Arizona State.

The Miners got more publicity by hiring Price than they earned by winning the Western Athletic Conference championship in 2000 -- one of only 12 times in the last 33 seasons that UTEP has managed to win more than twice.

In keeping with his rebuilding job, Price has stayed under the radar -- even skipping the usual visiting coach's conference call Arizona State has for the media on Mondays.

But his reputation for coaching sound teams precedes him.

"Mike Price came from winning 10 games in his last two or three years coaching Washington State," said Arizona State coach Dirk Koetter, who has his own job-security issues despite the reassurance of athletic director Gene Smith that he'll start the 2005 season as coach.

Koetter, trying to improve on last year's 5-7 record, knows he has a tricky home opener because of the Price Effect on UTEP.

"I think it is going to be different for him with updated personnel," Koetter said.

Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Dave Campo, who spent two years as Price's assistant head coach at Weber State, was sure his former boss would turn the Miners around.

"The reason he got the Alabama job in the first place was that he took very difficult schools and made them established," Campo said. "He's an outstanding recruiter. People get a comfort level around him, so there's no question he's going to have an impact there.

"And I think his second strength is that he's very well-liked by his players. He has a way of putting games into perspective, a way of getting people to play for him because of his style."

The last time the teams met, in 1995, Arizona State won 45-20, the Sun Devils' seventh straight over the Miners and 24th win in the last 25 meetings.

The 2000 season marked UTEP's only bowl appearance in the last 15, the high-water mark of coach Gary Nord's career. But Nord was fired on Dec. 1 after going 2-9, 2-10 and 2-11 the next three seasons.

That opened the door for Price, who is 129-121 after eight years at Weber State and 14 at Washington State. He turned out five first-round NFL draft picks and won a national coach of the year award, yet even with that resume, Price remained persona non grata after being let go by Alabama.

Nebraska never considered him for its vacancy, and Arizona toyed with the idea only long enough for university president Peter Likins to say, "No way." ...
      -09-02-2004, 11:00 AM
    • DJRamFan
      Minnesota's Jundt, stung by playing time, leaves program
      by DJRamFan
      By Matt Perkins Minnesota Daily
      Minneapolis, MN (U-WIRE) -- Junior wide receiver Mark Jundt quit the Minnesota football team for the second time on Sept. 11.

He said he had repeatedly been told he would get playing time, but did not receive any.

Jundt, a redshirt walk-on in 2002, played 20 downs of the Sun Bowl against Oregon in 2003 in the absence of an injured Jared Ellerson. Jundt quit the team for the first time after the Music City Bowl last season after seeing his playing time significantly decrease over the course of the year.

After the Gophers week two win over Colorado State, Jundt decided to leave the team for good.

"The thing is, I thought I had proven I could handle being in a game situation," Jundt said. "It was just a big letdown to me to think that the coaches don't have enough confidence in me to put me in a game where the outcome had already been determined."

Jundt said it was a difficult decision to come back after quitting the first time, but the coaching staff convinced him.

Wide receivers coach Luke Tressel talked to him first, before he had been named to the position. Jundt said Tressel called him and told him he was applying for the wide receivers coaching job, and that he would like to see Jundt back on the team next season.

Hesitant at first, Jundt said he then talked to coach Glen Mason, who echoed Tressel's sentiments. Jundt decided to rejoin the team, and thought he had a good summer and fall showing.

But after not playing a down through the Gophers first two games, a 41-10 win over Tulsa and a 56-24 romp against Colorado State, Jundt decided to leave the team once again, he said.

"After being told that [I would get playing time], it hurts," Jundt said. "Because I thought things were going to be different. I put so much work in this summer and this fall and now it's just gone for nothing."

Mason and Tressel could not be reached for comment.

(C) 2004 Minnesota Daily via U-WIRE
      -09-20-2005, 03:30 PM
    • DJRamFan
      `Bored' Sun Devils Prepare For Season Opener
      by DJRamFan
      The pass-happy Sun Devils are licking their chops for Temple

Aug. 29, 2005

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) - The 20th-ranked Arizona State Sun Devils have gone through some sluggish practices in extreme heat since they came down from their training in the high country at Camp Tontozona.

"I don't like to make excuses," coach Dirk Koetter said Monday. "It has been abnormally hot, with school starting and the change of schedule. But I think our guys are a little bit bored right now. I think we need to just get out there and play."

The Sun Devils open their season Thursday night at home against Temple. Expect Koetter's pass-happy offense to be in full flight against the Owls, who have left the Big East for the more suitable Mid-American Conference.

Temple's defense is designed to stop the run first, and that brings a twinkle to Koetter's eyes.

"They are very, very inexperienced in the back seven," he said. "Only one guy in the back seven has starting experience."

That adds up to a potential big day for quarterback Sam Keller, who replaces record-breaking passer Andrew Walter.

"If they're playing a run defense and they're not very experienced in the secondary," Koetter said, "it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out we might throw the football a little bit - which we'd probably try to do anyway."

Derek Hagan, on course to break most of Arizona State's career receiving records, said he and his teammates have watched tape of Temple.

"Every receiver in there is talking that we're going to make big plays this week," Hagan said. "We know that they've only got one guy back deep. We love to throw the ball deep and we know we're going to put the ball in the air. Hopefully, we could have a big day throwing the ball."

Koetter praised Keller, who replaced the injured Walter and started against Purdue in the Sun Bowl last season. He completed 25 of 45 passes for 370 yards and three touchdowns. He capped his MVP performance by going 4-for-4 on the winning, 80-yard touchdown drive.

"I think Sam is right where he needs to be," Koetter said. "I would probably say that Sam has practiced the most consistent and probably the best of any player on offense. His timing has been impeccable. His checks have been right on."

Koetter's biggest concerns are depth on defense and, most of all, punt coverage, which ranked near the bottom of NCAA Division I a year ago.

"We can't finish 114th out of 117 teams and go where we want to go," Koetter said. "We've worked hard on it. We've made a couple of changes in how we're doing it."

Temple's uphill climb to respectability took a blow on Monday...
      -08-30-2005, 07:59 PM
    • DJRamFan
      Despite Miami pain, Bowden says he's staying with Rix
      by DJRamFan
      Sept. 13, 2004
      SportsLine.com wire reports

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Chris Rix will remain Florida State's starting quarterback despite a dreadful performance in last week's loss at Miami.

Advertisement

Coach Bobby Bowden announced his decision at a booster luncheon on Monday.

Rix, who is Bowden's first-ever four-year starter, became Division I-A's only quarterback to go 0-5 against the same school after failing to lead the offense to a touchdown in Friday night's loss at the Orange Bowl.

"I thought about it all night and all the next day and all the next night and talked it over with our coaches and everything," Bowden said after practice Monday night. "We felt like he's really got the kids behind him.

"Four years ago (the players) were not behind him. I think the wise thing to do is start him and see if he can't get back to his old self."

Rix completed 12 of 28 passes for 108 yards, threw two interceptions and lost two fumbles, including a critical one in overtime in the 16-10 loss. He ranks 10th in the Atlantic Coast Conference's passing statistics with a 61.0 efficiency ranking.

"It's way too early to panic," added Bowden, who has spent most of the past three autumns defending Rix, now 24-11 in four seasons leading the Seminoles, who dropped from No. 4 to 8 in the latest media poll. "It's not time."

Bowden was quick to remind Florida State fans in the audience that the Seminoles ran the table in 1988 after losing their opener to Miami. Florida State finished No. 3 in the AP rankings that season.

"We've been there before," Bowden said. "The only thing that game the other night proved was we're not going to have a perfect season."

Bowden also has few alternatives as no other quarterback on the Seminoles roster has ever started a game or seen any significant playing time. Backup Wyatt Sexton was 3-of-5 for 45 yards in limited mop-up duty last season.

However, Bowden conceded he had thought about playing the 6-foot-3, 205-pound Sexton, the top student on the team and the son of running backs coach Billy Sexton.

Fabian Walker, who had backed up Rix the previous two seasons, transferred to Valdosta State over the summer. However, Bowden conceded he had thought about playing the 6-foot-3, 205-pound Sexton, a 4.0 student and the son of running backs coach Billy Sexton.

"We definitely need to get him some action," Bowden said.

Bowden hopes to redshirt freshman quarterbacks Xavier Lee and Drew Weatherford.

Next up is Alabama-Birmingham, a team that crushed Baylor 56-14 in its opener and has Bowden more than a little worried.

"It's a good time to play Florida State -- after Miami,"...
      -09-14-2004, 07:34 AM
    Working...
    X