Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFN's Top 200 Players

http://collegefootballnews.com/2006/...ayers_1_50.htm

Steve Slaton, #16 as a true sophomore. Yeah, Mountaineers!

Re: CFN's Top 200 Players

13. DE Adam Carriker, Sr., Nebraska
    After an average 2004 thanks to an ankle injury, the 6-6, 294-pound Carriker blossomed into an unstoppable pass rushing force. He wasn't just great at getting to the quarterback, he was rock-solid against the run and made play after player when he wasn't double teamed. He's looking stronger and quicker this season and should be in the mix for All-America honors.
    If we're picking where I think we'll be picking next draft, this kid is my choice. A pass rusher, in a run stopping body. There's probably 2 or 3 DEs that will go earlier, but I like this guy a lot.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
      If we're picking where I think we'll be picking next draft, this kid is my choice. A pass rusher, in a run stopping body. There's probably 2 or 3 DEs that will go earlier, but I like this guy a lot.
      He's certainly a great prospect, but he's going to have to show me two things - (1) those ankle injuries are in the past and (2) he can maintain that level of production as a senior.

Comment

20. QB Drew Tate, Sr. Iowa
        Tate cut down on his interceptions and improved his decision making by leaps and bounds from his sophomore year, and now he appears ready to make the jump to All-America status as a senior. He got better as last season went on finishing up by throwing for 351 yards and four touchdowns against Minnesota and 346 yards and three scores in the loss to Florida. He's a tough, gritty player who isn't afraid to throw his body around to try to get the tough yards, and he's great in the system. He should be among the nation's most efficient passers and on the preseason Big Ten Player of the Year short list.
        77. OG Mike Jones, Sr. Iowa
        Able to play tackle or guard, the 302-pound senior started last season at both tackle spots before settling in at left guard where he'll stay ... for now. He's an All-Big Ten caliber blocker no matter where he lines up.
        56. RB Albert Young, Jr. Iowa
        One of the nation's top unsung rushers, Young returned from a leg injury that cost him all of 2004 to run for eight 100-yard games while rushing for 1,002 yards in Iowa's eight Big Ten games. He blends decent power with tremendous speed and great hands. He has the ability to tear off yards in chunks, but his longest run last season was only 36 yards. Expect that to change. The scary part is that he's even faster after being a year removed from the injury.
        184. DE Ken Iwebema, Jr. Iowa
        111. S Marcus Paschal, Sr. Iowa

You definately aren't seeing me complain

Comment

This thing's a JOKE. If there are 193 college football players better than D'Juan Woods, I'm the Easter Bunny. This might be better described as the 200 best known, most popular, most hyped players. Look at the top 20 and the schools there, is it really likely that ALL the best players ALL are at Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC, and that nobody who is any good would be at a smaller school? Most of them at big name schools? Yeah. ALL of them? No way. They do get points for noticing Mississippi's Willis, one of the few players off non"Name" schools to be rated that high.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Barry Waller
            Offensive Tackles Trending Up On Draft Day
            by Barry Waller
            Even just looking back as far as 2000, it's clear that the NFL has changed, and that pass blocking tackles are now right at the top of the list in round one, The NFL went decdes between tackles taken first overall, but now it's happened 3times since `1997.

In addition, a far larger number have gone in the top five and top ten than ever before.

The importance of that position, plus the lack of human beings capable of playing that position, 325 pound ballerinas, and the relative low risk in scouting that position compared to others, has made them a hot item early in round one.

All that old, "You don't draft O-linemen earlY' has totally gone out the window since 2000.

Just look at the last 8 drafts to illustrte this point.

For six years, 2000 through 2005, there were 5 tackles drafted in the top five picks, and no year with more than one. There were seven taken in the top 10.

The last eight drafts, there have been 13 tackles taken in the top five, including THREE in 2013. Three other times, two of the top five were OT .

And that number grows to 15 in top ten picks spent on tackles.

Because so many schools are using pass happy offenses, it makes it easier to see how the best of the tackles look in pass coverage, tons of tape on each guy. The quality of weight programs make these guys NFL ready physically, more so that probably any position, and now they also have the technique to go along with that strength.

Now you don't have to train the top guys over a year or three, which makes them ever so valuable, since franchise tackles hardly ever move, and get the franchise tag more than any position.

This year, looking the available talent pool, you will probably see two tackles in the top five, and as many as four in the top 10.

Looking at the trend I have illustrated, that should come as no surprise.
            -12-04-2013, 06:27 PM
          • Barry Waller
            2014 Draft - An Early Look
            by Barry Waller
            2014 NFL Draft - An Early Look

Actually, Thanksgiving isn’t exactly “early”, not for guys like Rams GM Les Snead and his scouts at least. They’ve been looking at the top players in next spring’s draft for quite awhile, and are now looking harder at athletes who might not be getting as much ink right now, but fit what the team needs.

When this 43 year veteran draftnik begins to look at a draft, the first thing examined is whether this is a classic type draft pool, or if it’s gonna be a real mix it up year. So you may ask, what does that even mean.

What it means is whether the top 5 to 10 picks are going to be dominated by quarterbacks, because need meets talent available at the position that year. When you have years with one or even no passers going really early, it makes for some very unpredictable first rounds. When there are a number of good passers available in the top 15, you often see more trades than normal as well.

The 2014 draft, because of the large number of top 50 players who play quarterback, and the needs at the top of the draft in Houston, Jacksonville, Oakland, Cleveland, Tampa, and Minnesota, is looking to rival the John Elway/ Dan Marino draft, at least in terms of guys who go in round one, not in pro potential.

Unfortunately, some of the underclass passers may decide to wait a year, with this draft so strong, so we won’t know exactly how those early mock drafts will hold up until January, when they must declare. I suspect there will the usual number of underclassmen coming out this year, which was very high in 2013.

After eying the obvious elephants in the draft, the QBs, I focus next on the crop of guys paid to kill those passers, legally of course, in judging the makeup of early round one. Teams love to draft positions where a high pay check right away isn’t a league high for that position before a real game is played.

That means passers, offensive left tackles, cornerbacks, and defensive ends. Of those, it seems hardest to find true great pass rushers who can also play on running downs. It’s why so many teams have gone 3-4, since then you don’t need this freak of nature type athlete, of which the Rams have at least two.

Without the QB “battle” for who will go first, this would the Jadeveon Clowney and everyone else draft, and even with injuries, the South Carolina stud will go off the board as soon as a team needs something other than a QB. If he somehow fell to the Rams with the pick from Washington, imagine the ransom of picks Snead would be looking for to trade down.

After Clowney, the 4-3 DE crop is just OK at this point, though guys can make big moves later at that position, even in March. That’s not necessarily good for the Rams, since they have no real need at that position. The more who go top 15, or top 50, the better for the Rams.

Teams, including...
            -11-28-2013, 11:13 AM
          • Bruce=GOAT
            Heights,Weights and 40 times for top players
            by Bruce=GOAT
            http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/qb.html

Lists top 20 players and is separated by position.
            -01-22-2007, 10:37 PM
          • AvengerRam_old
            There are four types of draft prospects...
            by AvengerRam_old
            Draft prospects can be divided into four categories:

1. Productive/Measureable (The Blue Chip Players)
            Some players perform on the field and then measure well in the combine and pro days. These are the top, Blue Chip Players. Their measurables indicate that their performance in college will transfer to the NFL. (e.g. Mario Williams, A.J. Hawk)

2. Underperformer/Measurable (The Workout Warriors)
            Some players have great measureables, but didn't live up to their apparent potential when on the field in college. These players are a bit of a risk. Some players will blossom in the NFL, others will always be underachievers. (i.e. Manny Lawson, Sinorice Moss)

3. Productive/Unmeasurable (The Intangibles)
            Some players perform well on the field, but then don't test well, either in 40 times or strength exercises. Often, players like this are just good football players, even it they are not elite athletes. Other times, they are great college players who won't duplicate their performance when they reach the NFL. (i.e. Chad Greenway, Tamba Hali).

4. Unproductive/Unmeasureable (Don't draft these guys!)
            Though, every now and again...

The tough questions is, if you have a choice between a player in Category 2 or Category 3, which do you take?

I believe that Category 3 players are more often successful than Category 2 players. Forty times, bench pressing and other combine tests are just not a great measure for future performance.

Nonetheless, teams are always looking for the next star, which often steers them toward Category 2 players. That's why there are so many "busts." Great athletes don't always make great footaball players.
            -03-19-2006, 12:08 AM
          • HUbison
            A clarification, for the draft season.
            by HUbison
            YouTube videos are not "tape".

You have not watched "tape" on any player. You have watched YouTube (or similar) highlight videos.

Unless you have access to coaches film, which you don't, please stop saying you've watched "tape" on a player. You haven't.

---sigh--- that feels better.
            -02-19-2014, 12:43 PM
          Working...
          X