The Official "WVU" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official "WVU" Thread

Thought I'd go ahead and create a thread for my West Virginia Mountaineers, as I plan to provide season-long updates on the team!

Code:
    2006 Schedule

DATE     OPPONENT              RESULT/TIME
    09/02    Marshall              W 42-10
    09/09    E Wash                 1:00 PM
    09/14    Maryland               7:30 PM
    09/23    @ E Carolina            TBD
    10/07    @ Miss St              2:30 PM
    10/14    Syracuse              12:00 PM
    10/20    @ UConn                8:00 PM
    11/02    @ #13 Louisville       7:30 PM
    11/11    Cincy                 12:00 PM
    11/16    @ Pittsburgh           7:30 PM
    11/25    South Florida         12:00 PM
    12/02    Rutgers                 TBD
    Last edited by Nick; -09-03-2006, 03:13 PM.

Re: The Official "WVU" Thread

Slaton tops 200 yards rushing (again) as No. 5 WVU cruises

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) -- Steve Slaton's sophomore season started the same way he ended last year -- with a big performance.

Slaton ran for 203 yards and scored two touchdowns to lead No. 5 West Virginia past Marshall 42-10 on Saturday.

Slaton, the nation's top freshman in 2005 with 19 rushing TDs, had his second straight 200-yard game. He set a Sugar Bowl record with a career-high 204 yards in a win over Georgia in January.

Slaton was the backbone of the nation's fourth-best rushing attack last season and he tore up Marshall (0-1) in just the second meeting between the state's two Division I-A schools since 1923.

"The line and I had a good game plan coming in and we just executed," Slaton said. "I have been here a year and now know better what the coaches want. I make reads better and I recognize defensive schemes and what they are trying to do to stop me."

During preseason practices, coach Rich Rodriguez protected Slaton, who wore a special white jersey with red numerals that limited contact on him.

Rodriguez let him loose Saturday. Slaton's 33 carries were one shy of a career high.

"I think I can sustain that for 12 games," Slaton said. "I feel good."

Rodriguez didn't realize that Slaton had 21 first-half carries until he heard an announcement over the stadium's public-address system.

"That's an awful lot of pounding on a guy," Rodriguez said. "We've got to be conscious of that."

West Virginia (1-0), which is 6-0 all-time against Marshall, scored on four of its first five possessions and totaled 312 rushing yards.

"I'm very surprised that they could run the ball on the defense like they did," Marshall coach Mark Snyder said. "I don't see any positives with this game because there's a lot of work to do. We need to work on everything."

Slaton surpassed 100 yards early in the second quarter and had 140 by halftime.

He had a 14-yard TD run around right end midway through the first quarter and scored untouched from 16 yards out after making a hard cut to the right late in the half for a 28-7 lead.

Slaton also had a 10-yard TD run negated by a holding penalty in the second quarter.

West Virginia, whose ranking was its highest to start a season, opened its normally quiet passing game a bit, too. Pat White completed 10-of-14 passes for 168 yards.

He found Brandon Myles with first-half TD tosses of 8 and 18 yards as West Virginia built a 21-0 lead. It was the first career multiple TD game for Myles, a senior.

"He's seeing the field very well," Rodriguez said. "Pat's got a great feel for the game. He's always had that. And as he continues to grow, I think he's going to get even more explosive in the passing game."

Marshall, limited to just seven first downs in the first half, went to its passing game late in the second quarter for its only touchdown.

Freshman tight end Cody Slate caught passes of 26 and 14 yards to give Marshall its best field position at the WVU 25.

Matt Morris then made up for a dropped pass in the end zone earlier in the game by grabbing a 21-yard TD toss from Bernie Morris. The pass initially was ruled incomplete but Marshall challenged and the play was overturned for a touchdown.

Morris and Slate helped make up for the loss of two other receivers. Hiram Moore was suspended for the game after a drunken driving arrest last month and 6-foot-6 Shawn Lauzon was lost for the season with a hip injury in preseason practice.

"You have to play with who you have," Snyder said. "It doesn't matter who you are missing."

West Virginia fullback Owen Schmitt scored on a 3-yard run midway through the third quarter to cap a 66-yard drive that was set up by an interception by freshman Quinton Andrews.

WVU backup quarterback Jarrett Brown closed the scoring on a 7-yard TD run with 1:13 left in the game.

Marshall is 1-7 against ranked opponents since returning to Division I-A in 1997.

"We've got to be more ready for the mental part of the game," Slate said. "You can't start off slow on a team like West Virginia."
    Last edited by Nick; -09-03-2006, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Sorry Nick, but how did WV look? I see a Potential Bowl matchup between the two!

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFan16 View Post
        Sorry Nick, but how did WV look? I see a Potential Bowl matchup between the two!
        They looked to be in midseason form. Slaton is running on all gears, is beating everyone to the edge, and is juking like a kid hitting the triggers on their PS2 controller. White looks to have improved as a passer and has a better receiving corps than he did last year. Offensive line dominated against Marshall and will be lead season long by Dan Mozes, one of the best centers in the nation. Everything I hear about this team is they're more mature than last year's Sugar Bowl champs.

Defensively the 'eers looked solid but somewhat concerning. They're counting on Boo McLee and Eric Wicks to lead the team but both looked somewhat sloppy out there, Wicks especially. But they'll get better as the season goes on, especially Wicks. The Mountaineers run a 3-3-5 and depend on two strong safeties in their base package, and one of them was out last night. He should be back by the Maryland game.

Overall WVU looked good and with the unfortunate loss of Michael Bush tonight shouldn't have too hard of a time winning this conference, though I expect Louisville, Pitt, and Maryland to all give them a fight.

Comment

They looked impressive Nick. Slaton is a man among boys out there.

Comment

With less than five minutes left in the first quarter, Steve Slaton has already rushed for more than 100 yards and two touchdowns against Eastern Washington.

The man is a BEAST!

Comment

Can I provide Louisville Cardinals updates in this thread or should I start my own? We play Miami this week which should be a battle. Just playing with u Nick, even though I am a diehard Louisville fan. Should be fun battling back and forth this season.

Comment

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY!!

It's a rainy day in Morgantown as my Mountaineers take on the Maryland Terrapins tonight at 7:30pm. WVU is boasting a two-game win streak over Maryland, and look to extend both that streak and their overall record this year to 3-0. Tune in for the Steve Slaton magic!

Comment

What no love for UCLA ?? lol
                  sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Just got back from the game, and I have one thing to say... Steve FREAKIN Slaton, ladies and gentlemen! That reverse field run was a thing of beauty. Send a copy of that to the Heisman committee RIGHT NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                      Just got back from the game, and I have one thing to say... Steve FREAKIN Slaton, ladies and gentlemen! That reverse field run was a thing of beauty. Send a copy of that to the Heisman committee RIGHT NOW.
                      Be sure NOT to include the fumble into the endzone and the negative yardage! He was actually over 200 yards at one point but finished with a meager 195 yards. Could you imagine what Slaton could do if he only had some speed?

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                        Be sure NOT to include the fumble into the endzone and the negative yardage! He was actually over 200 yards at one point but finished with a meager 195 yards. Could you imagine what Slaton could do if he only had some speed?
                        Pffft, that fumble was nothing more than Slaton's generosity in giving tight end Brad Palmer his first career touchdown.

Seriously though, I guess after the play Slaton told Palmer, "Don't say I never gave you anything." Hilarious!

Comment

Pffft, that fumble was nothing more than Slaton's generosity in giving tight end Brad Palmer his first career touchdown.

Seriously though, I guess after the play Slaton told Palmer, "Don't say I never gave you anything." Hilarious!
                          OK, I got my little jab in, but I have to say, the Mountaineers and especially Slaton are very exciting to watch. Their overall team speed and explosiveness are amazing. Not many QB/RB combos that I can recall look more dynamic than White and Slaton.

The WV #5 ranking is more than deserved, but I think they'll get snubbed by the BCS at seasons end as a result of their schedule, which they obviously have no control over.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                            The WV #5 ranking is more than deserved, but I think they'll get snubbed by the BCS at seasons end as a result of their schedule, which they obviously have no control over.
                            I agree, they're not playing a national championship schedule. Whether or not they're a national championship caliber team, I don't know. Louisville, Pitt, and Rutgers are all going to be challenges, but if this team doesn't go undefeated and then destroy whoever they face in their bowl game, the haters will lap it up.

Comment

I agree, they're not playing a national championship schedule. Whether or not they're a national championship caliber team, I don't know. Louisville, Pitt, and Rutgers are all going to be challenges, but if this team doesn't go undefeated and then destroy whoever they face in their bowl game, the haters will lap it up.
                              The sad thing is, WV could very well go undefeated but end up like the 2004 Alex Smith led Utah Utes that went 12-0 after destroying Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl, yet only got a #6 BCS ranking.

Who you play during the regular season is oh so important in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
                                Ore, Hokies cruise to victory over Herd
                                by DJRamFan
                                By Grant Taylor The Parthenon
                                Huntington, WV (U-WIRE) -- Virginia Tech scored 17 points during a three-minute span of the second quarter to seize momentum and defeat Marshall 41-14 at Lane Stadium in Blacksburg, Va. Saturday.

Third quarters have been a thorn in Marshall's side for much of the season and Saturday proved to be no different as the Hokies took full advantage of Marshall's miscues, building an insurmountable lead.

After leading 14-7 at the half, the Hokies took to the turf running Marshall's defense into the ground.

"That was a very pivotal series for us," Snyder said. "We took the wind (at halftime) and we needed a defensive stop, but we couldn't stop the rush when we needed to."

It appeared the Hokies were going to waltz in for an easy score, but the defense tightened, aided by Chris Royal's pass breakup in the end zone on a third down pass from the Marshall two-yard line. The Hokies settled for a field goal and Marshall appeared to be back in control.

The momentum shifted to the Hokies for good just 40 seconds later when quarterback Bernie Morris was stripped. The football fell into the waiting arms of Vince Hall, who caught it in stride and raced into the end zone to give Virginia Tech a 24-7 lead four minutes into the second half.

"We wanted to see if we could play field position with them," Snyder said. "They ran down our throat, we come back and turn the ball over and that changed the momentum in the game."

After Marshall was forced to punt, VT quarterback Marcus Vick used his quick strike ability to light the scoreboard again.

Vick gave a pump fake, which froze Willie Smith, allowing David Clowney to get in behind the defense and catch a 48-yard touchdown pass. Clowney's catch capped a 78-yard drive that took only three plays.

The Hokies gained 200 yards in the third quarter while Marshall's offense got a dismal two yards. It was a contrast to a first half which saw Marshall and Virginia Tech virtually even with the teams being separated by only six yards (155-149).

Marshall had an impressive first half, leading the statistical column for much of the opening half. VT took the lead with 5:09 left in the first half when Brandon Ore took a handoff over the right edge of the end zone for a 13-yard score. Ore had much success, finishing with 146 yards on 19 carries. The running back was not stopped for a loss on the day.

Snyder said there was little preparation for Ore, who is the third-string running back on the Hokie depth chart. However, he was forced into action when second-string tailback Cedric Humes went down with a broken arm early in the second quarter.

Humes was in for starter Mike Imoh, who took the week off to rest a sprained ankle. The stable of running...
                                -10-12-2005, 03:51 PM
                              • DJRamFan
                                Golden Knights to Open Conference USA Play Against Marshall
                                by DJRamFan
                                UCF makes 2005 home debut Saturday

Sept. 23, 2005

ORLANDO- Playing in its Conference USA contest, UCF makes its 2005 home debut on Saturday, hosting Marshall at the Citrus Bowl. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. The two squads are no strangers having met three times as members of the Mid-American Conference. UCF (0-2) will be seeking its first victory of the year while Marshall enters the game at 1-1.

The contest is the first of five UCF games that will be broadcast as part of CSTV's "All-Access package. Dish Network subscribers can view the game via pay-per-view. The broadcast will also be available on www.UCFathletics.com on a subscription basis. Fans call also call their local cable operators to see if the CSTV's "All-Access" is available.

The UCF ISP Network and its flagship station 740- The Team AM (WQTM) will broadcast live from Orlando. Marc Daniels will once again have the call with Gary Parris. Jerry O'Neill will handle the sideline duties. Network affiliates in include WMMV-1350 in Cocoa, WDCF-1350 Dade City, WROD-1340 in Daytona Beach and WMMB-1240 Melbourne.

Fans looking for a more extensive preview, as well as Coach O'Leary's thoughts on Marshall this week, should tune into "The George O'Leary Show," which will air Friday at 5:30 p.m. on Sun Sports, and again Saturday at 1 p.m. on WESH-2.

Prior to the game, members of the UCF volleyball game will be on hand at the Citrus Bowl, collecting donations to aid the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. All contributions will be given directly to the United Way to help those in need following the storm.

Tickets for the game are still available and can be purchased at the Citrus Bowl.

About Marshall

Marshall opened the season with a 36-24 victory over William & Mary, but then fell at home to Kansas State on Sept. 19, 21-19. The team had a bye last weekend.

The Thundering Herd have a new head coach on the sideline as Mark Snyder, who served as a graduate assistant at UCF from 1989-90, takes over for Bob Pruett. Snyder comes to Marshall from Ohio State, were he worked for four years.

Despite the change on the sidelines for Marshall, UCF head coach George O'Leary does not expect many changes from the Thundering Herd.

"He (Snyder) changed the defense some. That was his background at Ohio State," said O'Leary. "They are doing a little bit different coverage concepts. Offensively, they kept the same coordinator there, so they are very similar to what they were last year."

Offensively, Marshall is led by sophomore running back Ahmad Bradshaw, perhaps the team's most versatile player. Bradshaw, who is a Doak Walker Award candidate, averages 65 rushing yards and 53 receiving yards per game and also leads the team with four touchdowns....
                                -09-23-2005, 02:17 PM
                              • DJRamFan
                                Pittsburgh Posts Upset of No. No. 21 West Virginia, 16-13
                                by DJRamFan
                                Late TD lifts Panthers

Nov. 25, 2004

By ALAN ROBINSON
                                AP Sports Writer

Gametracker Final Statistics

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Tyler Palko, frustrated nearly all night by West Virginia's defense, completed four third-down passes on Pittsburgh's only sustained drive before scoring from the 2 late in the game to lead a 16-13 upset Thursday of the No. 21 Mountaineers.

Until Palko turned Darrelle Revis' interception of Rasheed Marshall's pass into Pitt's only touchdown, the sophomore quarterback had followed up a five-touchdown effort against Notre Dame with a miserable game. He finished 14-of-38 for 165 yards and an interception.

But Palko was near perfect on the deciding 73-yard drive, hitting top receiver Greg Lee three times for 38 yards on third-down passes and tight end Erik Gill on a fourth. A pass-interference penalty on linebacker Adam Lehnortt in the end zone against Lee gave Pitt a first down at the West Virginia 2, and Palko scored on a rollout with 4:06 remaining to give Pitt its first lead.

Until then, the Pittsburgh-raised Marshall had outplayed a Pitt quarterback for the third straight season by directing a virtual one-man offense depleted by the suspension of top receiver Chris Henry and an injury to top rusher Kay-Jay Harris. Harris was held to 11 yards on three carries.

No doubt it will be a tough loss to West Virginia to accept, especially since Lee appeared to trap the ball on one of his third-down catches.

Pitt's first victory over its biggest rival since 2001 effectively assured the Panthers (7-3, 4-2 in Big East) of a bowl bid - possibly to the Gator - and muddied West Virginia's bowl plans. The Mountaineers (8-3, 4-2), losing their second straight amid more special teams mistakes, now might settle for the Insight Bowl after being the front-runner for the Big East's guaranteed BCS bowl bid before its 36-17 upset loss to Boston College two weeks ago.

Until Palko finally found his game again in the fourth quarter, it was yet another disappointing effort for Pitt in the East's second most-played major college rivalry to Army-Navy. The Panthers lost to Marshall-led West Virginia the previous two seasons despite being the higher-ranked team in both games.

Until their decisive drive, the Panthers managed only three Josh Cummings field goals despite repeated scoring opportunities and Tim Murphy's 106 yards rushing.

The 97th edition of the rivalry known as the Backyard Brawl was exactly that - a physical, tightly played game filled with more big plays by the defenses than the offenses and mistakes aplenty by both teams.

West Virginia's special teams were dreadful again, just as they were in allowing two punt return touchdowns against Boston College. Brad Cooper missed two of four...
                                -11-26-2004, 08:12 AM
                              • DJRamFan
                                Florida State overcomes mistakes to down West Virginia
                                by DJRamFan
                                Jan. 1, 2005
                                SportsLine.com wire reports
                                JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Florida State overcame mistake after mistake to avoid an unprecedented third straight bowl loss.

Leon Washington ran for 195 yards and Chris Rix crafted two long second-half touchdown drives, leading No. 17 Florida State to a 30-18 victory over West Virginia in the Gator Bowl on Saturday.

Coach Bobby Bowden, facing his former school for the first time since the 1982 Gator Bowl, moved within one bowl win of Joe Paterno's NCAA record of 19 at Penn State. The Seminoles finished 9-3.

Rix played poorly for much in his final game of an up-and-down career. Bowden's first four-year starter at quarterback fumbled three times and threw two interceptions, one of which led to a touchdown.

But Bowden stuck with Rix and he eventually gave the Seminoles a spark.

Rix completed five straight passes during a 90-yard drive, capped by his 14-yard TD pass to Craphonso Thorpe late in the third quarter. Thorpe leaped for the ball over Dee McCann in the right corner of the end zone for a 23-15 lead. It was only Rix's third TD pass of the season.

Quarterback Rasheed Marshall and West Virginia's platoon of running backs shredded the nation's top run defense for 238 yards. Kay-Jay Harris carried 25 times for 134 yards and scored twice.

Advertisement

But the Mountaineers (8-4) failed to find the end zone three times after advancing inside the 20-yard line.

West Virginia has lost 11 of its last 12 bowls games and is 0-5 in the Gator.

West Virginia, the only unranked team playing in a New Year's Day bowl, continued special teams mistakes that were costly in losses to Boston College and Pittsburgh to end the regular season.

In the first half, two kickers missed extra point, Brad Cooper booted a kickoff out of bounds, and the Mountaineers later faked a 27-yard field goal attempt, but couldn't convert the first-down run.

Backup Andy Good practiced his kicks feverishly before the start of the third quarter, and it paid off. He made field goals of 44 and 34 yards to cut the deficit to 23-18 early in the fourth period.

Rix then led an 80-yard scoring drive, capped by James Coleman's 1-yard run. Rix finished 16-of-31 for 157 yards.

The game featured the preseason favorites of the Big East and Atlantic Coast Conference who couldn't secure BCS berths.

The Seminoles needed only six plays to score a season-high 10 points in the first quarter.

Washington went 69 yards down the right sideline on the game's second play for the longest TD run in Gator Bowl history. He had 135 yards by halftime and had only 12 carries for the game, or else he might have challenged the Gator Bowl record of 216 yards by Syracuse's Floyd Little against Tennessee...
                                -01-01-2005, 02:55 PM
                              • DJRamFan
                                Frye's three TD passes lead Zips in comeback over Marshall
                                by DJRamFan
                                Nov. 5, 2004
                                SportsLine.com wire reports
                                AKRON, Ohio -- Charlie Frye's three touchdown passes led Akron back from a 21-point deficit and Jason Swiger kicked a 43-yard field goal on the final play after Marshall's punter fumbled, giving the Zips a 31-28 victory on Friday night.

The win moved Akron (5-4, 5-1 Mid-American Conference) into a three-way tie with Marshall (5-4, 5-1) and Miami of Ohio for first place in the MAC's East Division.

Ian O'Connor dropped the ball as he attempted to punt and Dwayne LeFall recovered for Akron on the Marshall 26 to set up Swiger's game-winning kick. O'Conner also missed three field goals.

The Zips, trailing 28-21, recovered an onside kick with 2:16 remaining. On fourth down, Frye scrambled to his right and threw an 18-yard touchdown to Jason Montgomery, who made a leaping catch at the back of the end zone as he was pushed out of bounds by a defender.

Frye was 28-for-45 for 322 yards and scored on a 31-yard TD run in the first quarter. Domenik Hixon had 192 yards receiving and a touchdown. Montgomery had two scores.

Stan Hill was 37-of-53 for 439 yards, three touchdowns and an interception for Marshall. Josh Davis caught 15 passes for 197 yards and a TD and Brad Bates had 114 yards receiving and a TD.

AP NEWS
                                The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
                                -11-06-2004, 01:10 PM
                              Working...
                              X