Oklahoma @ Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma @ Oregon

For any Duck fan that may be out there.....please do the right thing and send the officiating crew and the review booth something nice for Christmas. Because they handed you that game.

There was no pass interference since the DE tipped and I still have no idea what the crew was looking at when they said there was no tip. Shockingly bad way to end what was otherwise a good game. Oklahoma outplayed Oregon and deserve the W.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Re: Oklahoma @ Oregon

That was a heck of an ending with Oregon down 13 with just a couple minutes left.

Comment

According to ESPN, those officials have now been suspended.

Comment

The Pacific-10 Conference suspended for one game the officiating crew and the instant replay officials that worked Saturday's Oklahoma-Oregon football game after finding mistakes were made in calls near the end of the contest.
        So did the Pac-10 give the officiating crew a pat on the back to go along with the slap on the wrist?
        Originally posted by Bob Stoops
        They had an opportunity to get it right and they chose not to.
        He's exactly right. This wasn't a split-second decision. Three separate mistakes, all reviewed on video, and the Pac-10 crew STILL didn't get any of them right. That's not just an error, that's a choice.
        Originally posted by UofO President
        I also hope this situation will lead the Pac-10 to change their policy of requiring that only officials of the Pac-10 officiate the home games of Pac-10 universities when they are hosting a non-conference opponent."
        This is one of the reasons I can't stand the Pac-10. Most non-conference games are officiated by the visiting conference crew....not all, but most. Yet, the Pac-10 requires a Pac-10 crew. Come on, that's ridiculous.
        Originally posted by Pac-10 Commish
        "Officiating on the field is much more difficult than it appears from the stands, and certainly when watching repeated replays," Hansen said. "Plays occur at a high rate of speed. Decisions on the field must be made instantaneously. The training and experience of officials at this level enable them to work at a high degree of accuracy. Unfortunately, at the critical moment of this game errors were made."
        You've got to be kidding! Officiating is MORE difficult when watching replays??? No, it's not. It's easier, that's the whole purpose of the replays. The crew screws up on the field (which they did big time) and the booth corrects it. That's the way it works. You're fooling only yourself, commish.

Not that I'm a huge Oklahoma fan, but I am a college football fan, and as such, I want to see the game decided by the 22 guys in jerseys, not the zebras on and off the field. In the end, Oregon has an extra win and Oklahoma has an extra loss.......neither of which are deserved nor earned. And there's not a thing that is going to be done about it. In the world of college football where every game matters, THAT is the true shame of it all.
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• fearlessone
          LSU got ripped off too!
          by fearlessone
          You think OU got ripped off but LSU had at least three bad calls, one being a missed pass interference in the endzone with two being overturned by the umpire(?), one while the Bayou Bengals were driving late in the game.

A great game but a pitiful performance by the officiating crew that should be sent to the Slack 10 or fired, which is worse? for their punishment.
          -09-19-2006, 07:28 AM
        • DJRamFan
          Schnellenberger building a fourth power in Florida
          by DJRamFan
          Sept. 23, 2004
          By Dennis Dodd
          SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Why not flip a coin to pick a starting quarterback?

Howard Schnellenberger had done wackier things in his career. Twenty years ago it seemed like he was throwing that career away. Miami had won the national championship in 1983 and Schnellenberger, the celebrated architect of Hurricanes football, bolted -- try not to laugh -- to the USFL.

Needless to say, that didn't work out. There was an inspiring stop at Louisville and a disappointing one at Oklahoma but, really, his career arc was never the same again.

"In my opinion, he might have as many championships as anybody, ever (if he stayed at Miami)," Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said. "It's crossed my mind many times."

So why not flip that coin three years ago? How is that more outrageous than creating a football program at an unknown campus in Boca Raton, Fla.? A place where the burrowing owls on campus were the inspiration for the school's nickname?

Or agreeing to go door-to-door soliciting community leaders for the mere $15 million needed to go from germ of an idea to kickoff?

Really, it wasn't weird at all for the 70-year old who, well, let's just say he still has extreme confidence in his abilities. So, yeah, it really was Schnellenberger who suggested in 2001 that freshman quarterbacks Jared Allen and Garrett Jahn flip a coin to start the first game in Florida Atlantic's history.

"They were too close for a human being to call so God called it," Schnellenberger said this week, considering his latest construction project. "Certainly I would do that. Why wouldn't I?"

Ridiculous is sublime again in Schnellenberger's world. Amid this season's talking points -- hurricanes, instant replay, kickers who can't kick -- is the job Schnellie has done at that owl-laden commuter campus of 13,000 students in Palm Beach County.

Three victories, all on the road, all against I-A competition in Florida Atlantic's final season before joining the big time, which in this case is the Sun Belt Conference in 2005. Next year, this college football IPO will be eligible for -- please stifle your laughter again -- a bowl.

All of it after playing organized college football for all of four years. All of it according to plan.

"He was basically semi-retired in Miami selling municipal bonds," said Dr. Anthony Catanese, the man who hired Schnellenberger at Florida Atlantic in 1998. "I said, 'That's not the place for Howard Schnellenberger.'

"He told me in five years he'd have this program nationally recognized. He did it in three."

Almost all of it has been done with kids from the state of Florida who couldn't go to one of the Big Three -- Miami, Florida or Florida State....
          -09-23-2004, 02:14 PM
        • DJRamFan
          A Simple Man From Sweet Home Alabama
          by DJRamFan
          Dean is one of the top fullbacks in the ACC.

Oct. 3, 2005

Senior fullback B.J. Dean hails from Tuscaloosa, Ala. Growing up in Alabama, Dean was just like most natives of the south.

"I love hunting, fishing, country music, football and NASCAR," Dean said. "My mom would not let us listen to rap music growing up. We came up with '80s music. She opened me up to different types of music. A lot of it (country music) relates to me as far as the stories that are told. Some of the things that they have been through, I have been through."

It is not unusual to see Dean walking around singing a country song. "Lynyrd Skynyrd, `Simple Man,'" Dean said. "That song sums me up the best."

Dean chose Florida State in the fall of 2001 over Alabama and LSU.

"I am an Alabama fan but my momma and I thought that it would be best if I got out of there and we decided on Florida State," Dean said.

"I just loved the school and I wanted to get out of Tuscaloosa. I followed Florida State football when I was growing up. I would record the games and watch them later. I liked the players they had here and liked what the coaching staff did for their players. It just felt like home."

When Dean came to Florida State he was expecting to play a position he was familiar with. Due to a crowd of other players at linebacker and a lack of depth at full-back, he was asked to make the transition.

"I could play earlier at fullback and possibly even start at fullback," Dean said, but that would not come as easy to him as he thought. "It was a tough adjustment because of learning how to block and how to catch a ball. I never played a position where I just had to catch a ball. The plays are a whole lot different.

Other than that, we do the same thing as linebackers do and that is just hit someone on every play."

The move has been a successful one for Dean. He has started 23 games in his career at Florida State.

He helped lead a rushing attack that ranked at the top of the ACC last season.

"The biggest difference is controlled aggression, having to control how you go at people and how you adjust to blocking," Dean said. "Not trying to flat head everybody on every play. Sometimes you will have to shield block or block a certain way. At line-backer you would have to take your key, read somebody and then make a play."

Dean has the nickname to go with the position. Many of his teammates and coaches call him Bulldog.

"Coach Kines (former linebackers coach) and Coach Andrews started calling me Bulldog because they said that I looked like I bulldog when I run," Dean said.

Every time he runs with the football...
          -10-03-2005, 05:23 PM
        • DJRamFan
          Michigan football comes up big in must-win games
          by DJRamFan
          By Stephanie Wright Michigan Daily
          Ann Arbor, MI (U-WIRE) -- It was a combination of relief and redemption.

Seconds after Garrett Rivals's field goal sailed through the uprights, the Michigan sideline emptied. Players gathered in a circle and started chanting, "It's great to be a Michigan Wolverine" as they jumped around and pumped their fists in the air.

A week's worth of pressure had just disappeared.

"When Michigan State is ranked ahead of you and you're Michigan, it's not good," tailback Mike Hart said. "There's pressure there. That's just pressure in itself. If Michigan had lost, it would have confirmed every criticism aimed at the program this season. Spread offenses own this defense. Chad Henne has succumbed to the sophomore slump. Lloyd Carr can't coach. Michigan isn't the powerhouse it used to be.

But by beating the Spartans in overtime for the second straight season, the Wolverines proved all their critics wrong.

No one expected this Michigan team - which blew leads against Notre Dame and Wisconsin - to hold on against the Spartans' high-powered offense. But Henne matched Drew Stanton throw for throw, and the defense allowed 21 points - 28 fewer than Michigan State's season average.

No one expected Hart to be so spectacular in his return from injury, or wide receiver Carl Tabb to step up in place of the injured Steve Breaston. But Hart, Tabb and the rest of the offense wanted this game and accumulated 488 yards of total offense - the most it has gained in a contest all season.

And certainly no one expected Carr to go for it on back-to-back fourth downs late in the game.

But we should have expected nothing less. After all, it's been a long time since Michigan lost a game it absolutely had to win.

Let's be honest: As much as we wish it could, even a program as storied as this one can't expect to win a national title every year. Teams have little control over their destinies in the BCS; it's not fair to call this season a failure simply because Michigan won't win a national title.

Carr recognized long ago that winning the Big Ten should be the Wolverines' ultimate focus, and, in case you forgot, he's led his team to five conference titles in the past eight years. I'll guarantee Michigan will never give up its title without a fight under Carr.

Notre Dame is a big game every year, but it's not really a must-win, because losing it doesn't affect Michigan's chances for the conference crown. In this era of parity in the Big Ten, teams can still win the title with one conference loss. True must-win games don't begin until after Michigan has a Big Ten loss. And this is when the Wolverines are most dangerous.

The 2003 season is a perfect example. Michigan recorded two early losses to Oregon and...
          -10-03-2005, 05:25 PM
        • DJRamFan
          Michigan determined to not let Ohio State spoil its season
          by DJRamFan
          Nov. 15, 2004
          SportsLine.com wire reports

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Hate.

Advertisement

That's the word Chad Henne used to describe the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry, and it's a description his coach probably wishes his freshman quarterback had avoided.

"It's the biggest tradition in college football," Henne said. "They hate us and we hate them."

Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said because Henne hasn't played the Buckeyes yet, he doesn't really understand.

"Hate, I guarantee is not part of this rivalry," Carr said Monday. "And I think when he's through he would not characterize it that way. They probably have guys that say the same thing.

"I think if you're at Michigan, you hate to lose to Ohio State. And I think if you're at Ohio State, you hate to lose to Michigan. I think that's what Chad Henne meant, so print it that way."

Carr then smiled and laughed in a rare moment of levity during a week when a lot is at stake for No. 7 Michigan.

If the Wolverines (9-1, 7-0 Big Ten) win at Ohio State on Saturday, they will repeat as outright conference champions and will play in a second straight Rose Bowl.

If the Buckeyes (6-4, 3-4) win, they'll end a disappointing season with a satisfying victory.

"For them to spoil the season for us, it has to be a big motivator for them," senior running back Kevin Dudley said.

An Ohio State win would also drop Michigan into a first-place tie and possibly a second-tier bowl in Florida.

Unless the postseason game is a part of the Bowl Championship Series, namely the Rose Bowl in California, the Wolverines want no part of it.

"We don't want to go back down to Florida," Marlin Jackson said. "We want to go to Pasadena."

Advertisement

Michigan controls its postseason fate because it got the help it needed when previously unbeaten Wisconsin lost at Michigan State on Saturday.

After the Wolverines beat Northwestern 42-20 - their seventh straight win this season and 13th Big Ten victory in a row - many of them huddled around televisions to root for their instate rivals.

"I was going crazy," linebacker Roy Manning said. "It's probably one of the only times I was rooting for Michigan State."

At least one former Buckeye - Jim Massey - will be pulling against his school because he has two younger brothers - Patrick and Mike - on Michigan's team.

"He definitely roots for us," said defensive tackle Patrick Massey, a Brecksville, Ohio, native. "He's a family guy. He's got a lot of pride in his school; he loves Ohio State; loves the program; he's a huge fan of coach (Jim Tressel). But he...
          -11-16-2004, 08:48 AM
        Working...
        X