X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Clearing Brawl at Miami-FIU Game

Bench-clearing brawl interrupts Miami-FIU game

Associated Press

MIAMI -- A sideline-clearing brawl interrupted the third quarter of the Florida International-Miami game Saturday night, prompting the ejection of 13 players in the first meeting between the South Florida rivals.

FIU had eight players ejected, Miami had five. It was the first on-field fight in FIU's five-year football history, school officials said.

Florida International's ejected players were wide receiver Chandler Williams, defensive backs Lionell Singleton, Chris Smith and Marshall McDuffie Jr., fullback John Ellis, linebacker Mannie Wellington, tight end Samuel Smith and defensive end Jarvis Penerton.

The ejected Miami players were offensive linemen Derrick Morse and Chris Barney, running back Charlie Jones, and cornerbacks Carlos Armour and Bruce Johnson.

All 13 players are expected to be suspended for one game.

The fight started shortly after Jon Peattie's extra point with 9:00 left in the third quarter gave Miami a 14-0 lead. Both sidelines quickly emptied, with several fights breaking out during the melee before order was restored.

The brawl lasted about five minutes, and it took officials several more minutes to sort out the penalties. Players from both sides appeared to be swinging helmets, and one injured FIU player came onto the field swinging a crutch at Miami players.

More than two dozen uniformed police officers came onto the field, trying to end the fights.

Several minutes after order was restored on the field, one fight broke out among fans in the northwest corner of the end zone, with more than 12 police officers running into the stands to break up that melee. More officers, including some wearing helmets, continued to surround the perimeter of the field.

Tensions ran high throughout the evening, with several instances of players exchanging heated words at the end of plays.

But emotions quickly boiled over after Miami's second touchdown.

James Bryant caught a 5-yard touchdown pass from Kyle Wright, then drew a 15-yard flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. After that catch, he appeared to point at the FIU bench, then took a theatrical bow.

Moments later, Peattie kicked the extra point and the brawl started.
    Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

This thing was brutal...If you get a chance check it out. It looked more like a gang fight than a football game. Jeez...

Re: Bench Clearing Brawl at Miami-FIU Game

Brandon Meriweather pretty much just cost himself a first round selection, from what I hear. Guess he pulled a Marcus Vick on some guy multiple times.

Comment

Here's the video.

Comment

Miami, FIU have 31 players suspended for role in brawlBy TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
        October 15, 2006
        AP - Oct 15, 12:59 pm EDT

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -- After reviewing a sideline-clearing brawl between players from Miami and Florida international, officials from both schools and their conferences on Sunday announced the suspension of 31 players -- 13 from the Hurricanes, and 18 from FIU.
        Each suspended player must sit out his team's next game for taking part in the ugly melee that marred the team's Saturday matchup. Miami plays at Duke Oct. 21, FIU plays at Alabama Oct. 28.
        More sanctions are still possible, officials from both schools said Sunday night.
        "These suspensions send a clear and definitive message that this type of behavior will not be tolerated," said Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford.
        The ACC and Miami suspended Carlos Armour, Chris Barney, James Bryant, Tyrone Byrd, DajLeon Farr, Ryan Hill, Bruce Johnson, Charlie Jones, Brandon Meriweather, Brian Monroe, Derrick Morse, Randy Phillips and Anthony Reddick.

"I don't have many bad days," Miami coach Larry Coker said Sunday morning, long before the suspensions were announced shortly after 10 p.m. "This is a bad day. And last night was a bad night."

Meanwhile, officials from the Sun Belt Conference and FIU suspended Michael Alls, Scott Bryant, Roland Clark, Michael Dominquez, John Ellis, Cory Fleming, Reginald Jones, Marshall McDuffie Jr., Robert Mitchell, Quintin Newman, Luis Pena, Jarvis Penerton, Julian Reams, Lionell Singleton, Chris Smith, Samuel Smith, Mannie Wellington and Chandler Williams.
        "There is no place in higher education for the type of conduct exhibited," Sun Belt Conference Commissioner Wright Waters said.
        There were many instances of heated words being exchanged during -- and even before -- the game.
        But shortly after halftime, unsportsmanlike turned into unruly.
        Bryant pointed at the FIU bench and bowed to the crowd after catching a touchdown pass with 9 minutes left in the third quarter. Moments later, FIU's Chris Smith wrestled Miami holder Matt Perrelli to the ground and punched him.
        McDuffie kicked Perrelli in the helmet. Morse jumped onto the Smith-Perrelli pile, Singleton followed and tried to punch the Hurricanes' Calais Campbell -- and benches began to empty.
        "You've got to back up each other," said Miami quarterback Kyle Wright. "You're not just going to sit out there and let guys get beat up."
        Several players from both sides appeared to throw punches. Meriweather was seen attempting to stomp on FIU players, while an injured Golden Panther swung a crutch menacingly at several Miami players.
        Meanwhile, Reddick charged across the field, helmet raised over his head, and slammed it into Mitchell.
        "Disgraceful," Coker said.
        Updated on Sunday, Oct 15, 2006 10:35 pm EDT
        Last edited by SFCRamFan; -10-15-2006, 08:59 PM.

Comment

That looks pretty disgraceful, but I've seen first hand how these things can get out of hand on more than one occasion.

Once I was in a college game when our FS got flagged for taunting after a big special teams stop. A brawl broke out which ended up in our team getting flagged for 45 yards worth of penalties. We were the visitng team which may explain the disaparity in punishment, but the thing that struck me was just how quickly these things can blow up.

I was also stumped about the fact that they totted up a late hit, taunting and unsportsmanlike conduct penalty into a total of 45 yards. I'd always thought that these weren't cumulative and that only the worst penalty would count.

Football doesn't need it.

Comment

To me, there should be several "boys" on these two teams that should never play college ball again.
            This space for rent...

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge
              It looked more like a gang fight than a football game.
              gang fight....south florida college football. Is there a difference?
              The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

As an alum of UM (law), I'm embarrassed. Coker must go.

Here's my dream scenario: Mike Martz as UM's head coach (I think he'd make a great college coach).

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
                  gang fight....south florida college football. Is there a difference?
                  It sure seems that way doesn't it?? I would be a bit upset if I was an alumni of either school. I guess that footbal games in Florida morph into hockey games or scrums...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• The Special One
                    Vince Young almost retired after Rookie Season
                    by The Special One
                    ESPN - Pressure almost pushed Young out of NFL after one season - NFL

Pressure almost pushed Young out of NFL after one season

Vince Young is known for escaping pressure. The quarterback almost took that to extremes.

The Tennessee Titans 2006 Rookie of the Year told NFL.com in an interview posted on Monday that he considered retirement after his first season.

"I really thought long and hard about it," Young told the Web site. "There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn't fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it. All of the excitement was gone. All I was doing was worrying about things.
                    "My teammates helped lift me out of it. I prayed really hard. And I began to focus on God's calling for me. Play football. Be a role model."
                    Young was installed as the Titans starter in Week 4 of his rookie season and led Tennessee to an 8-8 record. The Titans barely missed making the playoffs, but Young was named to the Pro Bowl.

Last season, the Titans did make it to the playoffs, but Young threw all nine of the team's touchdown passes for the fewest of any team in the league. Nonetheless, he learned to live with the pressure of being an NFL quarterback.

He proved that to himself when he handled scrutiny that came his way when pictures of him drinking shirtless at a party showed up on the Internet.

"I have a stronger circle," Young told the Web site. "Now I can handle this kind of stuff without it making me want to give up football. I learned that 24/7 I'm representing the Titans and, especially, the kids all over I am trying to influence. I look at my man Michael Vick. I learned from that. I look at Pacman [Jones]. I learned from that. I look at some troubles recently for rappers T.I. and Lil Wayne, guys I listen to. I learned from them. I've learned from my life."

--------------------------------------

Wow. That really shcoked me when I first read it. I mean, we all knew Young has always struggled to cope mentally with being the core of the Titans and having to try and live up to being such a high draft pick, but I at least never imagined it had reached such drastic levels after his first year.

It just goes to show - absolutely ANYTHING can happen in the NFL.
                    -05-27-2008, 06:33 AM
                  • viper
                    A Proper Perspective
                    by viper
                    While things may appear bleak at the moment, I thought it would be interesting to see where we are in the standings against the rest of the league. It was pretty enlightening to see that we are tied or one game behind 22 other teams in the league. Teams like the New Orlean Saints, the Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers, San Diego Chargers and the Seattle Seahawks to name a few.

We all know that we should have won those two games. We had them in our grasp and let them slip away. While I am most disappointed in the outcomes, I am encouraged by the fact that we looked a lot better defensively and our offense finally began stretching the field. If not for a few miscues we had those games won.

We have been decimated by injuries and suspensions lately. Considering all of the mounting setbacks, I thought our team played pretty well. We are almost there, but not quite. I still have hope that we can save the season and maybe squeak into the playoffs. A tall task at this point for sure, but possible nonetheless. Looking at the struggles that most of the league is also enduring gives me hope that our cause is not yet lost this season.

While I'm not so naive to discount the fact that we have a major task ahead of us, I'm also willing to support my team, players and coaches as long as it appears they are trying to get better and win. I believe we are getting better and its only a matter of time before things start clicking. This may be one of our rebuilding years. But, I think a case can be made that we are improved over the last two seasons. I think we are headed in the right direction and with time things will come together for our team. Have faith!!!

W L
                    Washington Redskins 1 0
                    Arizona Cardinals 1 1
                    Baltimore Ravens 1 1
                    Carolina Panthers 1 1
                    Chicago Bears 1 1
                    Cincinnati Bengals 1 1
                    Cleveland Browns 1 1
                    Jacksonville Jaguars 1 1
                    Minnesota Vikings 1 1
                    San Diego Chargers 1 1
                    Seattle Seahawks 1 1
                    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1 1
                    Tennessee Titans 1 1
                    Atlanta Falcons 0 2
                    Buffalo Bills 0 2
                    Kansas City Chiefs 0 2
                    Miami Dolphins 0 2
                    New Orleans Saints 0 2
                    New York Giants 0 2
                    New York Jets 0 2
                    Oakland Raiders 0 2
                    Philadelphia Eagles 0 1
                    St. Louis Rams 0 2
                    -09-17-2007, 05:14 PM
                  • AvengerRam_old
                    Idea for New SitCom: "Mrs. Quarterback"
                    by AvengerRam_old
                    To: NBC Executive Board, Pilot Committee

Re: Sitcom Idea: "Mrs. Quarterback"

----------------------------------------------

The Premise: A religious, middle-aged wife of a veteran NFL QB is forced to co-exist with the promiscuous, partying girlfriend of a rookie second string QB. Hilarity ensues.

Setting will be the desert Southwest. Nice scenery and a lots of hot weather to provide excuses for skimpy clothing.

Characters:

Glenda Werner: The older wife. She is very religious and the devoted mother of seven children. She doesn't have great fashion sense, and doesn't fit in well with her husband's life as a "celebrity." She often says too much, but deep down, she has a heart of gold.

Bert Werner: The veteran QB. He is also very religious, and somewhat of an unwilling celebrity. His best days are behind him, but he still believes he can relive the glory. He's been burned before by an upstart rookie playing behind him, but he nonetheless continues to say all the right things.

Pat Rhinert: The rookie QB. He is the cocky, Hollywood type. He has been extremely successful in college, and expects nothing less in the Pros. However, inside, he knows he may not have what it takes.

Athens Mariott: The rookie's party-loving girlfriend. She's the spoiled rich-girl heiress to a vast hotel fortune. She's bounced around from sleezy sexcapades with older men, to failed relationships with rich boys, rock stars and actors, and now is hooked up with a flashy athlete. She has the morals of a sewer rat.

------------------------------

Sample Scene from Pilot

Pat: "Athens... hurry up! Bert and Glenda should be here any second. Could you at least put on a bra and panties?"

Athens: "What--ever!"

[doorbell rings - Pat opens the door]

Bert: "Hey, Pat, ready for practice?"

Pat: "Sure am, Bert. Say, is that a new car?"

Bert: "Yep. Brand new preowned Ford Taurus. Pretty sweet, huh?"

Pat: "Um... yeah."

Bert: "Go check it out."

[Pat steps outside and trips, nearly falling down the front steps.]

Pat: "Did you just trip me?"

Bert: "Me? Trip you? Of course not."

Pat: "Well, it seemed like you did... and pushed me a little? You're not trying to get me injured, are you?"

Bert: "Don't be silly."

[Athens emerges wearing a sheer belly shirt and hot pants]

Glenda: "Oh my word!"

Athens: "I know... isn't it hot?"

Glenda: "Um... well..."

Athens: "What is it, Church lady?"

Pat: "Athens!...
                    -05-04-2006, 02:23 PM
                  • RamsFan99
                    Reason for why we are 6-34 in last 40 games
                    by RamsFan99
                    200031Trung CanidateRBArizona200112Damione LewisDTMiami (Florida)[w]20Adam ArchuletaDBArizona State29Ryan PickettDTOhio State[x]200231Robert ThomasLBUCLA200312Jimmy KennedyDTPenn State200424Steven JacksonRBOregon State200519Alex BarronOTFlorida State200615Tye HillCBClemson200713Adam CarrikerDENebraska20082Chris LongDEVirginia20092Jason SmithOTBaylor

With the exception of Barron and Jackson (still waiting on Long) every single one of these guys were busts. Several to my knowledge do not play in the NFL any more. When you see this terrible list of first round draft picks, it's no wonder we are a losing team. Hopefully Devaney and Coach Spangnuolo will put together a few consecutive good draft years. What's really painful is in a 7 year period we drafted Bettis, Pace, Wistrom, Kevin Carter and Holt. Not to mention later round talent like Bruce and Little.
                    -11-02-2009, 06:59 PM
                  • AvengerRam_old
                    Linehan Sings!
                    by AvengerRam_old
                    (With apologies to Ringo Starr)

What do fans think, when we typically lose?
                    Who cares? Has no impact on me.
                    I知 laughed at by peers, but I知 sure I知 not wrong.
                    Though my win total numbered at three.

Oh,
                    I値l just hire a couple more of my friends.
                    I値l get by, with a couple more of my friends.
                    I知 gonna try, with a couple more of my friends.

Why do we lose, when we池e home or away?
                    Doesn稚 worry me, but I知 alone.
                    How do I feel, at the end of Sunday.
                    I知 not sad, we池e just injury prone.

Oh,

Do you need anybody?
                    I just need my college buds.
                    Should it be just a buddy?
                    If not, I値l sweep it under the rug.

Do you believe, you might worsen our plight?
                    No, I知 certain that the fault is not mine.
                    But can John Shaw see that your plan is not right?
                    I can稚 tell you, but my checks, he signs.

Oh,
                    Yes, I get by, when I get to hire my friends.
                    When I get to hire, my friends.
                    -01-21-2008, 01:49 PM
                  Working...
                  X