onside kick returned for a TD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• onside kick returned for a TD

USC returned a Notre Dame onside kick for a TD in the fourth quarter saturday night. Has anyone ever seen or heard of that before? Thats a new one on me.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Re: onside kick returned for a TD

Yes, I've seen in an NFL game???? Can't remember who or when though.
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

You bet I have. In last years Sun Bowl, UCLA's Brendan Braezell returned a Northwestern onside kick 45 yards for a touchdown. Then for good measure, he did it again less than two minutes later returning a second onside kick 42 yards for a touchdown in an amazing 50-38 victory!! THAT was a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
        USC returned a Notre Dame onside kick for a TD in the fourth quarter saturday night. Has anyone ever seen or heard of that before? Thats a new one on me.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
        I seem to recall that the Rams' own Mike Guman did the feat when the Rams were still in Anaheim. But I can't recall against who or exactly when. Maybe somebody else can help out here.

WHAT SAY YE?

Comment

I thought that it was great. It just goes to show that anything can back-fire....

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
            You bet I have. In last years Sun Bowl, UCLA's Brendan Braezell returned a Northwestern onside kick 45 yards for a touchdown. Then for good measure, he did it again less than two minutes later returning a second onside kick 42 yards for a touchdown in an amazing 50-38 victory!! THAT was a great game.
            I remember watching that on ESPN the following day, he'll have an interesting fact about him the rest of his life for that.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tampa_Ram
              Punt? screw that, we're kicking!!!
              by Tampa_Ram
              Inside Slant: How NFL kicker can dominate

October, 3, 2012 Oct 3
              4:03
              PM ET

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

As promised, Kevin Seifert and I went into detail during the latest "Inside Slant" podcast regarding the game-changing value kicker Greg Zuerlein is providing the St. Louis Rams.

This was more than a conversation about kickers. With analysis from Dean Oliver and John McTigue of ESPN Stats & Information reveal, we demonstrated the profound effects a kicker can have if he can deliver on field-goal tries from up to 60 yards, as Zuerlein has done.

The flexibility Zuerlein has afforded the Rams accounts for more than half the team's roughly 10-point improvement in net point differential this season, according to Oliver's calculations. Zuerlein has given the Rams about 4.4 expected points per game over an average play, equating to 17 points this season. No NFL team's kicking game added more than 1.7 expected points per game last season.

The first chart, courtesy of McTigue, compares the current Rams to the 2011 pre-Zuerlein version in terms of fourth-down decision-making from the opponents' 42- to 32-yard lines.

Of course, we don't know whether Zuerlein will continue making long kicks, but he has been remarkably consistent so far. Zuerlein has made all 12 tries, including five from 40-49 yards and three from longer. He converted from 60, 58, 48 and 24 yards during a 19-13 victory over Seattle in Week 4. He made long kicks consistently during training camp.

2011 vs. 2012 Rams Fourth-down Decisions from Opponents' 42-32 Yard Lines

Punt 36.8% 0.0%
              FG try 10.5% 100.0%
              Go for it 52.6% 0.0%

The second chart, also from McTigue, compares the 2012 Rams against other NFL teams based on their fourth-down decision making from the opponents' 42- to 32-yard lines.

The Rams have attempted three field goals, making all three. The rest of the league has punted 40 times, attempted 24 field goals and gone for a first down 13 times.

2012 Rams' Fourth-down Decisions from Opponents' 42-32 Yard Lines

Punt 51.9% 0.0%
              FG try 31.2% 100.0%
              -10-03-2012, 04:40 PM
            • macrammer
              My Top 5 Reasons Why We WON!!!!
              by macrammer
              Whew.......As Moon said......pins and needles! Been over 10 years since Rams were 4-2 Big Road win! Congrats to all Rams fans!

1) Special teams We have not returned a KO in 100 years or so. We have not blocked punt for a TD in 50 years. But today, the Rams did both in ONE game!
              2) Defense. it started off shaky but after the first two series for the Jags, the Rams payed great D They stuffed the run and put pressure on the QB.....(Fournette 20-55 after 75 yd run)
              3) Greg the leg. He hit a 56 yarder. His second FG iced the game (calling him out on his own see #1)
              5) Cooper K........on 3rd and 6, with Rams up by a TD he got open and went for 22 yards and put us squarely in FG range.......
              -10-15-2017, 04:22 PM
            • codeman123
              An In Depth Look at the Offense
              by codeman123
              For some reason Spags is getting all the blame for this year. He has been a disappointment, but he is not in charge of the worst offense in football. For the most part people on this board and other Rams sites want Spags fired for a proven head coach like Jeff Fisher, which is fine. However, they still want to bring back McDaniels for offensive continuity. In the new NFL, if a team averages barely over 10 points a game they will consistently lose. The Rams offense has a chance to compete with some of the worst offenses in NFL history, but after the decimation of the offensive line, and having to play a third string QB it will be impossible to read into the play of the offense from here on out.
              I don't really hear a lot of complaints with McDaniels. Shurmer got booed and heckled out of the building nearly every game for his boring playcalling and dink and dunk offense. The stats comparing the Rams this year and last year are pretty shocking. Broncos fans warned me what he was like. He always tries to be the smartest man in the building. He over complicates things. He tries to do the opposite of what is generally done (run out of shotgun, pass out of heavy sets) to the point where its just as easy to read for a defensive coordinator than someone who follows the textbook. He loves running option routes, long developing patterns, and deep ins and outs. It's hard to imagine an offensive line good enough to give 3-5 seconds of protection consistently. Offensive 'geniuses' generally don't go far from script. Just like Martz, he isn't going to change philosophies from what got him in that position. Its clear he has free rein to gameplan and create plays every week. Spags makes gametime decisions like whether or not to go for it, but doesn't seem to hinder what McDaneils wants to do. There's yet to be a gameplan this year where the other team has to say 'wow we just got outsmarted, or they just got us this week'. Usually its the opposite, like against Seattle playing out of empty shotgun formation half the game, and completely taking away the threat of a run. Plain stupid, even to the fans.

Here are the stats for this year.

Rank 2011 Home Away 2010
              Points per game 32 11.7 14.7 8.7 18.1
              Yards per game 31 284 302.9 (26)
              Yards per point 32 24.3 17.4 36.1 16.8
              Points per play 32 0.184 0.228 0.138 0.274
              -12-07-2011, 12:16 PM
            • RamDez
              Rams win over Raiders on opening Monday night Football
              by RamDez
              Rams win over Raiders on opening Monday Night Football

Great result
              LOS ANGELES RAMS
              Passing Cmp Att Yds TDs
              J. Goff 18 33 233 2
              Rushing Car Yds Avg TDs
              T. Gurley 20 108 5.4 0
              C. Kupp 2 16 8 0
              Receiving Rec Yds Avg TDs
              B. Cooks 5 87 17.4 0
              C. Kupp 5 52 10.4 1
              -09-10-2018, 10:33 PM
            • tomahawk247
              Analysis of 2014 Rams Games by Halves
              by tomahawk247
              The below is a table looking at the Rams scores for each half of the games they played, whether they won or loss the half, and the final result

Week Opponent First Half Result Second Half Result Final Score Result
              1 Minnesota (H) 0 - 13 Loss 6 - 21 Loss 6 - 34 Loss
              2 Tampa Bay (A) 10 - 7 Win 9 - 10 Loss 19 - 17 Win
              3 Dallas (H) 21 - 10 Win 10 - 24 Loss 31 - 34 Loss
              4 Bye Bye Bye Bye
              5 Philadelphia (A) 7 - 20 Loss 21 - 14 Win 28 -34 Loss
              6 San Francisco (H) 14 - 10 Win 3 - 21 Loss 17 - 31 Loss
              7 Seattle (H) 21 - 6 Win 7 - 20 Loss 28 - 26 Win
              8 Kansas City (A) 7 - 10 Loss 0 - 24 Loss 7 -34 Loss
              9 San Francisco (A) 10 - 10 Tie 3 - 0 Win 13 -10 Win
              10 Arizona (A) 14 - 10 Win 0 - 21 Loss 14 - 31 Loss
              11 Denver (H) 13 - 7 Win 9 - 0 Win 22 - 7 Win
              12 San Diego (A) 10 - 6 Win 14 - 21 Loss 24 - 27 Loss