No announcement yet.

Police investigating death of USC kicker Danelo

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Police investigating death of USC kicker Danelo

    Police investigating death of USC kicker Danelo

    Associated Press

    LOS ANGELES -- Foul play likely was not a factor in the death of Southern California kicker Mario Danelo, whose body was found about 120 feet down a rocky cliff, police said Sunday.

    "It was fairly apparent that this was either an accident or suicide," said Lt. Paul Vernon.

    Nelson Chenault-US PRESSWIRE
    USC kicker Mario Danelo was discovered at the base of a cliff in Los Angeles Saturday.Danelo's brother said Sunday that "it was an unfortunate accident."

    "He was a good kid," Joey Danelo said during a phone interview with The Associated Press. "There was not a person I know that didn't like him."

    Investigators were examining evidence recovered after Danelo's body was found Saturday afternoon near Point Fermin lighthouse in the city's San Pedro section.

    While police have not completely ruled out foul play, Vernon said "there didn't appear to be a crime involved." An autopsy could be performed as early as Monday, coroner's officials said.

    Someone flying a remote-control airplane noticed something at the bottom of the cliff Saturday and a friend hiked down to the beach and discovered the body, police officials said.

    Investigators were looking into whether Danelo was out with friends Friday night. He was last seen around midnight, authorities said.

    A makeshift memorial was placed near the top of the steep cliff where Danelo apparently fell. A flag bearing the USC logo was spread out, surrounded by flowers and candles and a message reading "Rest in Peace Danelo" spraypainted on the ground.

    Nearby, a sign warned: "Danger Do Not Enter Unstable and Slippery Surfaces Steep Drops."

    Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said investigators did not find a surf board, scuba-diving tanks or anything else to indicate Danelo might have been down there for any of the recreational activities common to the area.

    Humphrey said over the years a handful of people had fallen from the cliff.

    "It's entirely possible that he fell," Humphrey said.

    Danelo, the 21-year-old son of former NFL kicker Joe Danelo, made 15 of 16 field goals this season and led the Trojans in scoring with 89 points. The junior made two field goals in the Rose Bowl on Monday to help USC beat Michigan 32-18.

    He only missed two field goals in his career, going 26-for-28, and was 127 of 134 on extra points. In 2005, he set NCAA single-season records with 83 extra points and 86 attempts.

    Speaking on behalf of Trojans coach Pete Carroll, USC spokesman Tim Tessalone said: "We were stunned to hear about this tragedy. This is a great loss. Mario was a wonderful young man of high character.

    "He was one heck of a kicker. He was a key ingredient in our success the past two years. The thoughts and prayers of the entire Trojan family go out to the Danelo family on this sad, sad day."

    USC linebacker Dallas Sartz said Danelo would be remembered for his upbeat personality and dependable kicking.

    "I just remember Mario was the guy who always had a smile on his face and would always cheer you up," said Sartz, a team captain.

    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

  • #2
    Re: Police investigating death of USC kicker Danelo

    The fact that last year Pete Carroll staged a mock suicide of Lendale White by throwing a dummy off the roof of a building makes this all the more eerie. Very tragic.


    Related Topics


    • Goldenfleece
      Steroids dealer found dead at North Texas home
      by Goldenfleece
      Steroids dealer found dead at North Texas home

      By SCHUYLER DIXON, Associated Press Writer

      PLANO, Texas (AP)—A convicted steroids dealer who recently met with NFL security officials and gave them names of players he said bought steroids from him was found shot to death in his home Thursday, police said.

      Early Thursday morning, Plano police made a welfare check and found 35-year-old David Jacobs and 30-year-old Amanda Jo Earhart-Savell dead. Police said both had been shot to death.

      Police spokesman Rick McDonald said the officers were making a welfare check after relatives of Earhart-Savell expressed concern about her whereabouts.

      Plano detectives aren’t releasing information about whether the deaths were a double homicide or a murder-suicide, whether a weapon was found near the bodies, or any other details, McDonald said.

      Jacobs was sentenced to three years probation and fined $25,000 on May 1 after pleading guilty last year in federal court in Dallas to conspiring to possess with intent to distribute anabolic steroids.

      Hank Hockeimer, Jacobs’ attorney, has told The Dallas Morning News that Jacobs then met with NFL security officials in the Dallas area on May 21 and gave them names of players he said bought steroids from him. Hockeimer didn’t immediately return a phone call from The Associated Press on Thursday.

      Hockeimer has declined to publicly say which players bought steroids from Jacobs. But Jacobs had publicly said he sold tens of thousands of dollars worth of performance-enhancing drugs to former Dallas Cowboys player Matt Lehr in 2006 and 2007. Lehr has also played for Tampa Bay and Atlanta.

      Lehr’s attorney, Paul Coggins, has said the player hasn’t used banned substances since he was suspended for four games during the 2006 season while playing for Atlanta, and has since passed NFL drug tests. The attorney has also said Jacobs’ allegations were retaliation because Lehr wouldn’t pay Jacobs’ legal fees.

      NFL spokesman Greg Aiello offered condolences to the families of Jacobs and Earhart-Savell and said the league was reviewing information provided by Jacobs in two interviews with security officials.

      “It is premature to comment on any specific player at this time,” Aiello said in a statement. “Anyone found to have violated our policies will be subject to discipline, including suspension.”

      Neighbors who were still gathered at the scene about 12 hours after officers arrived said they became aware of Jacobs through television news reports, but didn’t know him well. They said they didn’t see any suspicious activity or hear any gunshots.

      One neighbor who reached out to Jacobs after his guilty plea by asking him to warn children about the dangers of drugs said she didn’t believe police when they told her he was dead.

      “Knowing somebody died this...
      -06-05-2008, 10:52 PM
    • Chiledog
      Maurice Clarett arrested again..
      by Chiledog
      From SI...

      After being arraigned earlier this year on armed robbery charges, former Ohio State star Maurice Clarett found himself in custody again Wednesday after a highway chase.

      COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- "Maurice Clarett was arrested early Wednesday after a highway chase that ended with police using Mace on the former Ohio State running back and finding four loaded guns in his sport utility vehicle.

      Officers used Mace to subdue Clarett after a stun gun was ineffective because the former Fiesta Bowl star was wearing a bullet-resistant vest, Sgt. Michael Woods said.

      "It took several officers to get him handcuffed," Woods said. "Even after he was placed in the paddy wagon, he was still kicking at the doors and being a problem for the officers."

      Police planned to charge him with carrying concealed weapons and other counts, Woods said. He was taken to police headquarters to be interviewed, then was moved to the Franklin County Jail.

      Wearing tan jail-issue clothes, he talked on the telephone in the booking area, separated from reporters by a window. He was to be held at the jail at least until an arraignment Thursday morning, unless his attorneys work out an agreement for his release, police said.

      Clarett made an illegal U-turn on the city's east side and failed to stop when officers, in a cruiser with lights flashing, tried to pull him over, Woods said.

      Police pursued Clarett onto eastbound Interstate 70 when he darted across the median and began heading west. Clarett drove over a spike strip that was placed on the highway, flattening the driver's side tires of the SUV.

      Clarett exited the highway and pulled into a restaurant parking lot, where officers removed him from the SUV after he failed to obey numerous orders to exit the vehicle, Woods said.

      After Clarett was placed in a police van, officers discovered a loaded rifle and three loaded handguns in the front of his vehicle.

      Woods said he did not know where Clarett got the guns or why he had them, and that federal authorities plan to trace their ownership.

      The 22-year-old Clarett is currently awaiting trial on two counts of aggravated robbery, four counts of robbery and one count of carrying a concealed weapon in a separate case. Authorities said he was identified by witnesses as the person who flashed a gun and robbed two people of a cell phone in an alley behind the Opium Lounge in Columbus in the early hours of Jan. 1.

      Messages seeking comment were left Wednesday morning for Clarett's attorneys in that case, Nick Mango and Michael Hoague.

      Clarett scored the winning touchdown in the second overtime of the Fiesta Bowl against Miami to lead Ohio State to the 2002 national championship, the school's first since 1968. But that was the last game the freshman played for...
      -08-09-2006, 06:40 AM
    • RamsFanSam
      Former Steeler Dies in Crash
      by RamsFanSam
      HERKIMER, N.Y. (AP) -- A former player for the Pittsburgh Steelers led state troopers on a 40-mile chase along the New York State Thruway during morning rush hour Thursday before dying in a fiery head-on collision with a tanker truck carrying corrosive acid.

      State police identified the victim as Justin Strzelczyk, 36, an offensive lineman with the Steelers for nearly a decade until the team released him in February 2000.

      Troopers said Strzelczyk crashed his pickup truck into the westbound tanker just moments after swerving around a tractor-trailer that had pulled across the highway to block its path in the eastbound lanes.

      Strzelczyk drove 15 miles on three tires and a rim after one of his pickup's tires was punctured by metal spikes thrown into the road by troopers.

      "It could have been so much worse. We're fortunate that only one person died," said Trooper Jim Simpson, a state police spokesman.

      "It looked like an airplane crash. There was quite a lot of diesel fuel spilled that was burning. The pickup was almost unrecognizable," he said.

      Strzelczyk, who lives near Pittsburgh in McCandless, Pa., had been involved in another minor accident about an hour earlier just west of Syracuse, which started the bizarre turn of events, Simpson said.

      The hit-and-run occurred about 7:20 a.m. and state police put out an alert for Strzelczyk's pickup. Troopers spotted him about 40 minutes later still heading east on the Thruway just west of Canastota, midway between Syracuse and Utica.

      A second unit tried to stop the pickup by booby-trapping the road with the "stop sticks," but Strzelczyk just kept on going, Simpson said. The pickup was clocked at 88 mph, Simpson said.

      "He was going down the road, flipping off the troopers. He even threw a beer bottle at them," Simpson said.

      A "good Samaritan" trucker, who police were unable to identify, saw the chase and pulled his rig across the road. Instead of stopping, the pickup drove across the grass median into the westbound lanes and traveled about three miles in the wrong direction before the deadly crash.

      Commenting on the trucker's actions, State Police Capt. Donald Faughnan said, "it's always a judgment call. Sometimes the actions work out, sometimes they don't. We prefer civilians not get involved unless we ask them to. But maybe (the trucker) helped prevent something worse."

      The collision with the tanker occurred near Herkimer at about 8:15 a.m. while the highway was busy with morning commuters and travelers. The driver of the tanker suffered only minor injuries. No one else was hurt.

      Troopers said Strzelczyk was traveling at nearly 90 mph when the collision occurred. He was ejected from the pickup truck and both vehicles burst into flames.

      The driver...
      -09-30-2004, 05:25 PM
    • DJRamFan
      Texas Tech safety to play despite alleged probation violation
      by DJRamFan
      Aug. 24, 2005
      CBS wire reports

      LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech starting safety Vincent Meeks could face up to two years in jail and a $10,000 fine after he allegedly violated his probation on a forgery charge.


      Meeks' legal entanglement will not keep him from playing for the Red Raiders, Tech coach Mike Leach said.

      "Vincent made some bad decisions on his part and was also a victim of some bad circumstances created by other people," Leach said in Wednesday's editions of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. "Team-wise, he's fine."

      Meeks, a senior, has made 27 career starts since he cracked the lineup in the ninth game of his freshman season.

      He is accused of violating terms of his three-year probation on a charge of forgery of a financial instrument, Rockwall County District Attorney Ray Sumrow said Wednesday. Meeks failed to report to a probation officer for several months, didn't pay court costs and failed to complete community service and other programs, Sumrow said.

      Meeks was accused of trying to cash a $475 illegal computer-generated check in 2003 that was made out to him, Sumrow said. He pleaded guilty but was not convicted because the court gave him deferred adjudication, Sumrow said. If he had completed his probation without any incidents, the charge would have been removed from his record.

      Meeks surrendered himself Tuesday on an arrest warrant issued Aug. 9 and was arraigned and arrested on the same forgery charge. He was released from the Rockwall County Jail late Tuesday after posting $10,000 bond.

      If the court revokes his probation at a hearing not yet scheduled, Meeks could be sentenced to two years in jail and fined $10,000, Sumrow said. The judge also could sentence him to probation.

      "I believe that Vincent will live his probation out if he's allowed to do that," said Meeks' attorney, Patrick Short. "If given the opportunity, I believe he will comply."

      AP NEWS
      The Associated Press News Service

      Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
      -08-24-2005, 07:04 PM
    • San Diego Ram
      Police officer, who delayed Texans' Moats as relative died, placed on leave
      by San Diego Ram
      DALLAS -- A police officer was placed on administrative leave Thursday after pulling over an NFL player who was rushing to see his dying mother-in-law, drawing his gun, threatening the player with jail and holding him in the hospital parking lot as the woman died.
      Dallas Police Chief David Kunkle apologized to the family of Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats over the March 18 incident and announced that Officer Robert Powell would be on paid leave pending an internal investigation.
      When we at the command staff reviewed the tape, we were embarrassed, disappointed," Kunkle said. "It's hard to find the right word and still be professional in my role as the police chief. But the behavior was not appropriate."
      Police officials said Powell told his commanders he believed he was doing his job and that he drew his gun but didn't point it. Kunkle said Powell wasn't necessarily acting improperly when he pulled out his weapon, but that once he realized what was happening, he should have put the gun back, apologized and offered to help the family in any way.
      "His behavior, in my opinion, did not exhibit the common sense, the discretion, the compassion that we expect our officers to exhibit," Kunkle said.
      Moats' wife, who was in the car along with other relatives, said Powell pointed his weapon at her.
      "He was pointing a gun at me as soon as I got out of the car," Tamishia Moats told The Dallas Morning News.
      The Moats family didn't immediately return messages left by The Associated Press. Powell didn't respond to requests for comment through the Dallas police union.
      Powell, a three-year member of the Dallas police force, stopped Moats outside Baylor Regional Medical Center after Moats rolled his sport-utility vehicle through a red light. Video from a dashboard camera inside the officer's vehicle, obtained by Dallas-Fort Worth station WFAA-TV, revealed an intense exchange in which Powell threatened to jail Moats.
      Powell ordered Tamishia Moats to get back in the SUV, but after pausing for a few seconds, she and another woman rushed into the hospital. Tamishia Moats was by the side of her mother, 45-year-old Jonetta Collinsworth, when she died a short time later from breast cancer.
      "Get in there," said Powell, yelling at 27-year-old Tamishia Moats, as she exited the vehicle. "Let me see your hands!"
      "Excuse me, my mom is dying," Tamishia Moats said. "Do you understand?"
      Ryan Moats explained that he waited until there was no traffic before proceeding through the red light. When Powell asked for proof of insurance, Moats grew more agitated and told the officer to go find it.
      "My mother-in-law is dying! Right now! You're wasting my time!" Moats yelled. "I don't understand why you can't understand that."
      As he argued with Moats, the officer grew irritated. "Shut your mouth,"...
      -03-26-2009, 11:26 PM