X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Breaking Hawaii QB Brennan still mulling draft decision

Brennan files for NFL draft, but still mulling decision
    January 15, 2007

HONOLULU (AP) -- Record-breaking Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan declared himself eligible for the NFL draft Monday, but may still return to the Warriors.

Brennan filed as a formality to meet the NFL deadline, but is still deciding whether he'll skip his senior season, Warriors spokeswoman Lois Manin said Monday. Brennan has 72 hours before he needs to make an official decision.

Manin said the filing doesn't indicate any decision to pass up his senior season. A scheduled press conference originally scheduled for Monday morning for Brennan to announce his decision was rescheduled for Tuesday afternoon.

Brennan, who broke the NCAA single-season touchdown and passing efficiency records last month, also led Hawaii to an 11-3 season -- matching the school mark for wins.

He set the NCAA mark for touchdown passes with 58, including five in Hawaii's 41-24 victory over Arizona State in the Hawaii Bowl on Dec. 24. Brennan finished the game with a school-record 559 yards passing.

The 6-foot-3 junior, who backed up Matt Leinart at Mater Dei High School in California, led the nation in TD passes, passing yards, total offense, passing efficiency, points responsible for and completion percentage.

Re: Record Breaking Hawaii QB Brennan still mulling draft decision

Well... it's been a while, but why not.

He's staying in college for anyone who has been hiding in a cave for a while.

Comment

It was probably the best decision for him, he probably won't boost his stock unless he is superhuman but the extra year should help him as next year's QB class isn't really top - heavy. He should compete with Brohm as next year's #1.

Comment

Smoker is now starting QB for the Nashville Cats AFL team and threw 6 TD's today. Just thought of that when I saw the name JeffSmokersonlyfan. I wish him luck there.

Comment

Yeah, Smoker is doing a very good job for the Katz. I was hoping he'd do well there.

Another former Ram, Joe Germaine is doing pretty decent, too, with the... Utah Blaze I think.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• general counsel
            Lousy Rams draft news-Oregon QB to return to school
            by general counsel
            ESPN is reporting that the oregon qb is returning to school next year. I have no idea how high he would have gone, but one less qb in the draft is one less potential guy that could go before we use either of our two first round picks.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
            -12-03-2013, 06:58 PM
          • DJRamFan
            Leinart delays decision about entering NFL Draft
            by DJRamFan
            Jan. 13, 2005
            SportsLine.com wire reports

LOS ANGELES -- Heisman Trophy winner Matt Leinart has delayed announcing whether he will return to Southern California for his senior season or turn pro, saying he will reveal his plans Friday.

Advertisement

"I need an extra day to continue gathering information," the USC quarterback said Thursday, the day he originally set as his deadline for the decision.

The NFL deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft is Saturday.

Two other USC juniors, linebacker Lofa Tatupu and punter Tom Malone, also are expected to say Friday whether they will enter the draft.

Leinart, 21, obviously is having a difficult time deciding. Early this week he said he has sometimes changed his mind almost hourly.

The redshirt junior and the Trojans didn't play their final game of the season until Jan. 4, when he threw an Orange Bowl record five touchdown passes in a 55-19 win over Oklahoma that gave USC a second consecutive national title.

Orange Bowl MVP Matt Leinart plans to make his NFL decision on Friday. (AP)
            The 11 days between that game and the NFL deadline hasn't given him much time to weigh his options.

He has consulted with coaches, friends, teammates, NFL quarterbacks Carson Palmer and Ben Roethlisberger and -- mostly importantly, Leinart said -- his own parents.

"I'm allowed to talk to really anybody. I can talk to (NFL) head coaches, I can talk to GMs, and coach (Pete) Carroll has told me that whoever I want to talk to, just let him know and he has the numbers," Leinart said earlier this week.

"There's just so much stuff. It's almost like I learn something new every day, so it makes the decision a lot harder when you find out new information. If I declare for the draft, then you have to think of every possible thing. You've got to think of what other quarterbacks are going, like where do you want to train."

Leinart said his final decision will be "Really what I want to do and what's going to make me happy and what's best for my family at this time."

If he opts for the NFL now, he will become a multimillionaire. If he plays another season for USC, his goal will be to lead the Trojans to an unprecedented third straight national championship.

His stock in the 2006 NFL draft probably would depend on whether he made it through this year's USC's season without a significant injury, and on whether his performance was up to this season's Heisman Trophy-winning caliber.

Leinart returned to class this week after winter break, carrying an 18-unit load that would enable him to graduate with a degree in sociology.

"I realize you can always come back and finish up. A degree from here...
            -01-14-2005, 11:37 AM
          • RamsSB99
            Rams Showing Strong Interest in Brandstater
            by RamsSB99
            By Ed Thompson
            Scout.com Senior NFL Analyst
            Posted Mar 21, 2009

The St. Louis Rams are showing strong interest in Tom Brandstater, a 6-foot-5, 220-pound quarterback out of Fresno State.

The Rams, according to a source, had scheduled a private workout/meeting on March 10 for the strong-armed thrower. He's also scheduled for an official visit with the team on April 15-16.

Just prior to the NFL Scouting Combine, Brandstater tore a lat muscle under his right arm, but still managed to make a strong showing in passing drills and in workouts despite the injury. He opted not to participate in the school's Pro Day on March 11 to allow the muscle to heal, and will hold a personal Pro Day on April 11.

During the 2008 season, Brandstater completed 59.6 percent of his passes for 2,664 yards and 18 touchdowns. He's been receiving high ratings for his combination of size and mobility, his arm strength, football intelligence and leadership skills. He finished third among all quarterbacks at the Combine in the three-cone drill and fifth in the 20-yard shuttle.
            -03-21-2009, 07:40 PM
          • MauiRam
            Nick Wagoner Draft Preview: QB ..
            by MauiRam
            Draft Preview: QB
            Thursday, April 17, 2008
            By Nick Wagoner
            Senior Writer

Just before the start of the 2007 training camp, the Rams made it clear who their quarterback of the present and future would be. Coming off the best season of his career in 2006, the team rewarded Marc Bulger with a lucrative long term contract meant to keep him in St. Louis for the foreseeable future.

With that move made, there is no doubt who the teamís starter is heading into 2008 and after some offseason shuffling at the backup spots, the Rams enter this yearís NFL Draft with little need for an immediate impact signal caller.

But that doesnít mean the position will be ignored on April 26-27 when the NFL holds its annual selection process.

The Rams released Gus Frerotte and signed Trent Green as the veteran backup to help install new offensive coordinator Al Saundersí offense. With Bulger starting and Green in the No. 2 spot, the Rams are likely to look to add a young signal caller late in the draft as a developmental prospect.

Rams coach Scott Linehan has already declared that the team would prefer to carry three quarterbacks instead of two in 2008. Brock Berlin remains on the roster after making one start against the Bengals in 2007.

The Rams had Michiganís Chad Henne and Delawareís Joe Flacco in for visits earlier in the week, but those two will likely go in the first day of the draft.

More than likely the Rams will look to add a young quarterback later in the draft, starting around round five. USCís John David Booty, San Diegoís Josh Johnson, San Diego Stateís Kevin OíConnell and LSUís Matt Flynn are among the possibilities at that point in the draft.

Quarterback

1. Brian Brohm, Louisville

2. Matt Ryan, Boston College

3. Chad Henne, Michigan

4. Joe Flacco, Delaware

5. Erik Ainge, Tennessee

Sleeper: Matt Flynn, LSU

The official site of the St. Louis Rams - Article

Brohm Battles Back
            Thursday, April 17, 2008
            By Nick Wagoner
            Senior Writer

It was only a year ago that Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm was touted as not only the best quarterback but also the best player in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Soon after Brohm made the decision to return to the Cardinals for his final season and the 2007 NFL Draft came to an end, draft analysts and wanna be analysts everywhere immediately placed Brohm at the top of the board.

And why not? After all Brohm had posted video game numbers against Big East Conference competition and even had the NFL pedigree following in his brotherís footsteps.

But with the Draft now just more than a week away, Brohm is considered a borderline first round pick at best.

Brohm vows not...
            -04-17-2008, 12:15 PM
          • general counsel
            Vanderbilt Qb
            by general counsel
            I watched the florida-vandy game saturday night after miami was blowing out va tech. Other than leinhart, who in college is considered a better pro prospect than the qb from vandy. Big, strong, accurate, good arm, great leader. What a tough kid. Looks like a pro qb to me.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
            -11-07-2005, 01:09 PM
          Working...
          X