X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fearlessone
    • Jun 2004

SEC is the Dominant Conference!

With LSU and Florida tearing up there opponents in the Bowl season and Michigan, ohio late and notre shame looking hapless with u. of spoiled chidren on the right coast losing to a team that got blown out by a woeful fsu team combined by barely getting by a few of their other slack ten opponents and with another loss to a poor team: IT IS VERY EVIDENT THAT the SEC is the SUPREME Conference when it comes to College Football.

Like the baseball hall of fame writers, those yankees don't know s#$t when it comes to College Football.

Looks to me like 'sc needs to schedule some tougher opponents to get any proper respect although they look deep and with Florida look like the early favorites for next year.

LSU, LSU!
    Last edited by fearlessone; -01-21-2007, 11:23 PM.
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!
  • ramsplaya16
    • Mar 2006

Re: SEC is the Dominant Conference!

The ACC stinks but I got to support my team!! CANES FAN 4 LIFE!!!!
    Built RAM tough

Comment

• fearlessone
      • Jun 2004

I know exactly what ya mean!

Did the 'canes get a new coach?

For some reason I liked Coker more than his predessors....

Where is Coker these days?

Comment

• ramsplaya16
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by fearlessone View Post
        I know exactly what ya mean!

Did the 'canes get a new coach?

For some reason I liked Coker more than his predessors....

Where is Coker these days?
        Well coker is gone, but he was in the same situation as martz when they both inherited the team, they both got a team coming of a championchip season, and they drove them down to the dumps, but our new coach is our D coodinator Randy Shannon, and he has some pretty good recruits coming in, and we also recently signed the georgia tech o-coodinator for our O-coodinator spot
        Built RAM tough

Comment

If Houston Nutt wasn't the coach for Arkansas, the SEC would definitely be the dominant conference. I would love more than anything to see him fired.

Comment

• txramsfan
            • May 2001

Top to bottom, right to left, clockwise or counterclockwise, curly or traditional fries, SEC Football is the best . Year in, year out. It pains me to say it as I can name 2 teams out of all of them that I root for (LSU being one, Alabama the other) and the rest I despise more than having to eat brussell sprouts (I'd never give one penny to the University of Tennessee or Ole Miss....not one) but this conference is the best.

Comment

Depends what year it is. Seems like it changes.

The big three are:
              Big 10
              ACC
              SEC

Comment

• RamsFan4ever
                • Apr 2006

im kinda :offtopic: but that is the coolest signature and Torry Holts like omg, nice

Comment

• fearlessone
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by RamsFan16 View Post
                  Depends what year it is. Seems like it changes.

The big three are:
                  Big 10
                  ACC
                  SEC
                  Dude,

Where is my car? C'mon ACC and Big Ten?

Just look at the last five years and see how how many SEC teams are rated in the top 10 at the end of the year!

Comment

• TheGuest62

Have to agree, so many teams that are either NC contenders or / consistently top ranked teams reside in the SEC including Florida, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Arkansas is up and coming as well.

hopefully Saban turns Alabama around.

Comment

• HUbison
                      Rams Nation MVP
                      • May 2004

I say this as a huge Big XII fan.............there is no competition: the SEC is the best football conference in the NCAA.

The race is for 2nd place.
                      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

• badmoforamfan
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
                        I say this as a huge Big XII fan.............there is no competition: the SEC is the best football conference in the NCAA.

The race is for 2nd place.
                        Amen, preach on brother.
                        sigpicMaybe not now, but soon.

Comment

• yellow and blue

I'm a Tennessee fan. SEC is by far the hardest conference in the nation.

I also live in Ohio, so kids in school tell me the Big 10 is the hardest. Lmfao!

Comment

• prof22693
                            • May 2007

no question SEC is the toughest, I don't know why herbstreit today on college gameday says that the PAC-10 will close the gap on the SEC, now thats just ridiculous.

Comment

• badmoforamfan
                              • Dec 2005

LSU!!!

Glad to see a game that matters. SEC football, next best thing to watching the Rams.
                              sigpicMaybe not now, but soon.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
                                SEC preview: Miles' task at LSU simple: Win 'em all
                                by DJRamFan
                                By Dennis Dodd
                                CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
                                Tell Dennis your opinion!

No pressure or anything, Les Miles, but it would be nice if you'd deliver an SEC title in your first season at LSU.

OK, a national championship wouldn't hurt either.

SEC
                                Predicted Finish
                                East
                                1. Tennessee
                                2. Florida
                                3. Georgia
                                4. South Carolina
                                5. Kentucky
                                6. Vanderbilt
                                West
                                1. LSU
                                2. Auburn
                                3. Alabama
                                4. Arkansas
                                5. Mississippi
                                6. Mississippi State
                                Off. player of year:
                                Chris Leak, Florida
                                Def. player of year:
                                Jesse Mahelona, Tennessee
                                Coach of the year:
                                Urban Meyer, Florida
                                Like any coach jumping up a level, Miles wanted the fame, money and power that goes with coaching an SEC power. Now comes the reality. Nick Saban left Miles a load of talent.

And Miles cannot screw it up. No pressure or anything, Les, but the expectations are through the roof.

"I think I spoke on (a) Wednesday night and I got in the car," said the Tigers' new coach. "(A) guy talked about nine wins and then at the podium somebody mentioned 10 or 11, then a guy said, 'Well, you know 12 victories is probably just what we'd like, coach.'"

Yeah, no pressure.

Miles enters the House That Nick Built with the burden of Tiger Nation upon him. Being the first coach to lead Oklahoma State to three consecutive bowl games is one thing. Keeping Tiger Stadium rocking at an earthquake level is another.

Saban wasn't the most media-friendly guy in the world, but he did deliver two SEC titles and a national championship. That will earn him a lifetime spot in LSU hearts.

Saban recruited so well that the Tigers have averaged 10 victories the past four seasons. Seemingly the only way they can be dragged down this year is a still-questionable quarterback situation.

Les Miles hits Baton Rouge after leading Oklahoma State to back-to-back upsets of then-No. 1 Oklahoma. (AP)
                                Sophomore JaMarcus Russell has been slow to develop, but that doesn't mean he can't be this year's Jason Campbell. Besides, the Tigers are so loaded at defensive line, running back and receiver that it might not matter.

Right now, it certainly doesn't matter to LSU fans. LSU was an overwhelming pick to win the SEC West by the media. Six players were picked on the preseason all-conference teams. The run started by Saban is unprecedented in LSU history. It's up to Miles (28-21 at Oklahoma State) not to screw it up.

"The program is in great shape," he said. "There's arguably maybe no finer football program in the country being run."

What...
                                -08-24-2005, 07:00 PM
                              • DJRamFan
                                Alma Maters
                                by DJRamFan
                                Ok, Division I-A is not the only college football so in that reason I am inviting people to talk about ALL football I-A through III. Feel free to talk about your alma mater or the college you currently attend (like me).

I'll get it started...I go to Slippery Rock University in PA (PSAC conference). We had four years with a stellar quarterback, but after he graduated, the two backups split time and needless to say it was a disappointment.

Our big rivals happen to be Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP), who basically manhandled us this year after four years of our own domination...

Let's here about other schools...
                                -12-18-2001, 01:32 PM
                              • DJRamFan
                                Schnellenberger building a fourth power in Florida
                                by DJRamFan
                                Sept. 23, 2004
                                By Dennis Dodd
                                SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Why not flip a coin to pick a starting quarterback?

Howard Schnellenberger had done wackier things in his career. Twenty years ago it seemed like he was throwing that career away. Miami had won the national championship in 1983 and Schnellenberger, the celebrated architect of Hurricanes football, bolted -- try not to laugh -- to the USFL.

Needless to say, that didn't work out. There was an inspiring stop at Louisville and a disappointing one at Oklahoma but, really, his career arc was never the same again.

"In my opinion, he might have as many championships as anybody, ever (if he stayed at Miami)," Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said. "It's crossed my mind many times."

So why not flip that coin three years ago? How is that more outrageous than creating a football program at an unknown campus in Boca Raton, Fla.? A place where the burrowing owls on campus were the inspiration for the school's nickname?

Or agreeing to go door-to-door soliciting community leaders for the mere $15 million needed to go from germ of an idea to kickoff?

Really, it wasn't weird at all for the 70-year old who, well, let's just say he still has extreme confidence in his abilities. So, yeah, it really was Schnellenberger who suggested in 2001 that freshman quarterbacks Jared Allen and Garrett Jahn flip a coin to start the first game in Florida Atlantic's history.

"They were too close for a human being to call so God called it," Schnellenberger said this week, considering his latest construction project. "Certainly I would do that. Why wouldn't I?"

Ridiculous is sublime again in Schnellenberger's world. Amid this season's talking points -- hurricanes, instant replay, kickers who can't kick -- is the job Schnellie has done at that owl-laden commuter campus of 13,000 students in Palm Beach County.

Three victories, all on the road, all against I-A competition in Florida Atlantic's final season before joining the big time, which in this case is the Sun Belt Conference in 2005. Next year, this college football IPO will be eligible for -- please stifle your laughter again -- a bowl.

All of it after playing organized college football for all of four years. All of it according to plan.

"He was basically semi-retired in Miami selling municipal bonds," said Dr. Anthony Catanese, the man who hired Schnellenberger at Florida Atlantic in 1998. "I said, 'That's not the place for Howard Schnellenberger.'

"He told me in five years he'd have this program nationally recognized. He did it in three."

Almost all of it has been done with kids from the state of Florida who couldn't go to one of the Big Three -- Miami, Florida or Florida State....
                                -09-23-2004, 01:14 PM
                              • DJRamFan
                                Utes became first to crack the BCS system
                                by DJRamFan
                                Dec. 27, 2004
                                SportsLine.com wire reports

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Receiver Paris Warren knows fifth-ranked Utah is representing plenty of other schools in the Fiesta Bowl.

Advertisement

As the first school to appear in a Bowl Championship Series game from a conference that doesn't have an automatic BCS bid, the Utes want to take another shot at the system.

"We're kind of carrying the flag for all the non-BCS schools," Warren said Monday.

The Utes (11-0) play Pittsburgh on Saturday in the Fiesta, one of the four top games in the bowl hierarchy which have never featured a team from outside the six guaranteed conferences or Notre Dame.

The BCS was adopted in 1998 and teams such as Utah in the Mountain West Conference could only watch their colleagues from the larger leagues play in the Fiesta, Rose, Sugar and Orange bowls. But by going unbeaten in the regular season and winning their second straight MWC title, the Utes became the first to crack the system.

Yet they still hear questions about whether they belong.

"Like they say early in the season. We're going to try and prove people wrong," offensive lineman Chris Komeatu said. "People say that non-BCS teams like Utah aren't good enough to be here. That's what makes everything more challenging to us and helps us get to this level."

Pittsburgh (8-3) is fighting a similar battle of public perception. As the winner of the Big East's automatic bid, the Panthers' BCS merits have been widely questioned because of their conference. Winning the Big East when it no longer includes Miami and Virginia Tech just doesn't carry as much weight as it has.

"This is a game of two teams that haven't garnered much national interest or respect," Pittsburgh defensive lineman Vince Crochunis said. "I think it will be an interesting game because each team is going to be out there trying to prove that they belong in this game."

Any pressure the Utes are feeling as a heavy favorite and playing for the BCS outsiders is actually a welcome change from the weeks that immediately followed the regular season. Coach Urban Meyer was courted by Notre Dame and Florida and it was very apparent he was probably not going to be back next fall for a third season at Utah.

When Meyer took the Florida job, it opened the spot at Utah and more coaching uncertainty. Defensive coordinator Kyle Whittingham was offered the Utes' job as well as the one for rival Brigham Young, Whittingham's alma mater.

But once Whittingham chose Utah, the Utes were able to relax a little, knowing there would be at least some continuity on the coaching staff. And now, they get to treat their time in Phoenix like any other game week -- just with better weather.

The Utes also...
                                -12-28-2004, 09:51 AM
                              • DJRamFan
                                Forget ACC, being big in Boston is Eagles' real problem
                                by DJRamFan
                                Feb. 12, 2005
                                By Dennis Dodd
                                SportsLine.com Senior Writer
                                Tell Dennis your opinion!

Suddenly, Boston College's move to the ACC doesn't look so daunting.

Forget a super conference; football coach Tom O'Brien is surrounded by super teams and Super Bowls. Good bud Bill Belichick seems to be doing OK with his New England-based NFL team. Word has it that the local major-league franchise seems to have ended some sort of curse.

Boston College has won its past five bowl games, the best streak in the nation. (AP)
                                From early December to mid January, BC's basketball and hockey teams combined for exactly no losses. Men's basketball started a Big East-record 20-0. The hockey team is ranked No. 1.

So how hard can Miami, Florida State, etc. be? The pressure to live up to Boston's best begins when he leaves the house.

"Now it's time to challenge ourselves," O'Brien said. "I'll give you a Belichick answer. I was trained that way."

Oh yeah, The Bill, reigning king of New England -- at least until pitchers and catchers report. Belichick and O'Brien trace their relationship back 30 years when both coached at Navy. They are so thick that the BC staff routinely heads over to the Patriots facility for X's, O's and lunch. Belichick, then a gopher with the Colts, once got O'Brien tickets for a first date/hot date to see a Baltimore exhibition game. O'Brien ended up marrying Jennifer Byrd.

2005 ACC Football
                                Atlantic Division
                                Boston College
                                Clemson
                                Florida State
                                Maryland
                                North Carolina State
                                Wake Forest

Coastal Division
                                Duke
                                Georgia Tech
                                Miami (Fla.)
                                North Carolina
                                Virginia
                                Virginia Tech
                                The connection, then, is both technical and emotional. But as the No. 4 sports option (maybe) in the nation's sixth-largest media market, BC sometimes struggles to get column inches.

The move to the ACC might help it in that struggle. The story has everything tabloids are looking for.

Critics say BC has abandoned its Northeast roots to play in the now widely scattered ACC. O'Brien already admitted he struggled to recruit in traditional ACC hotspots in the Carolinas and Virginias.

BC is the last addition to an at-times contentious expansion. That extra year in the Big East led to angst that filtered down to fans. It seemed as if O'Brien faced at least one question every week about the next conference road game, where fans were ready to unload with invective.

"I told the AD, this is all well and fine but I'm walking the point out here," O'Brien said. "The (other Big East) administrators set the tone. By them setting the tone, it trickled down (to the fans).

"The (Big...
                                -02-18-2005, 07:47 AM
                              Working...
                              X