Clear All

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    Art Valero officially named assistant head coach/offense
    by Nick
    Valero named Rams assistant head coach
    January 11, 2008

Bucs running backs coach Art Valero has been named assistant head coach of the St. Louis Rams.

Valero said Friday he's uncertain which position he may eventually coach in St. Louis: offensive line, running backs or tight ends. He also could still become the team's offensive coordinator under head coach Scott Linehan.

One of the most popular assistants among Bucs players for six seasons, Valero made it clear Friday he butted horns with coach Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay.

Valero had always been part of Gruden’s staff in Tampa Bay, serving as tight ends coach (2002-03), running backs coach ('04-’05) and assistant head coach ('06-’07). But Valero credited the players — not Gruden — for most of the Bucs’ success.

"First of all, when coach (Tony) Dungy left Tampa Bay, he left a lot of great character on that team,'' Valero said. "The thing I will miss the most is the players and not only the ones I got to work with. There's a lot of great people in that locker room and all they want to do is win an all they wanted was to be led.''
    -01-11-2008, 02:48 PM
  • RamWraith
    Coach Search About Leadership
    by RamWraith
    By Howard Balzer
    Monday, January 05, 2009

Watching the playoffs this weekend gave a perfect illustration of just how important talent is when it comes to competing and winning in the National Football League.

The Baltimore Ravens are a case in point. Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan is being considered for the Rams' head coaching job, and I'm not here to debate Ryan's potential pedigree as a head coach. Having said that, it's clear Ryan is a candidate for one simple reason: He has great players.

It's why I've always believed NFL teams need to be circumspect when limiting their coaching candidates to coordinators on very good teams. Coordinators, whether it's on offense or defense, put together the overall plans for their units. Obviously, those plans can be more creative and effective when the players are excellent.

Does anyone wonder what Ryan would do with this Rams' defense? With no Ray Lewis. Or Ed Reed. Or Bart Scott. Or Terrell Suggs. Or Haloti Ngata.

I remember during the summer how I related what Bears general manager Jerry Angelo told me when I asked him what he saw in Lovie Smith when he hired him as the team's head coach. As a refresher, Angelo said, "When I'm hiring a head coach, I have three priorities. No. 1 is leadership. No. 2 is leadership. No. 3 is leadership. And Lovie Smith is a natural born."

Being a head coach is about so much more than X's and O's, and who has been a good coordinator. It's about leadership, personality/charisma and presence. It's why I wanted the Rams to interview Mike Singletary when they were in the process of hiring Scott Linehan three years ago.

It's also why I'm thrilled to hear general manager Billy Devaney talk about those same qualities as he decides who will be the Rams' next head coach. It's why I believe Jim Haslett will be a good choice. But I also believe Devaney has the instinct to recognize the leadership and personality traits in the people he will interview.

The key decision at the end of the day will be that he already knows Haslett has those qualities and has experience dealing with the adversity of the NFL., while it is only a projection how a new coach will react when the proverbial crap hits the fan.

The odds are, however, that Devaney will make a good choice. And, then he will have to get to work getting this team to the level seen in the games this past weekend.

KEY RECEIVERS MISSING
    How the Giants and Cardinals play this weekend could very well revolve around how each team deals with the absence of one of their best receivers. The Giants haven't been the same offensive team since the suspension of Plaxico Burress. It was Burress that made the difference in the Giants' win over Green Bay in the conference championship...
    -01-05-2009, 02:44 PM
  • NoCasl_ramfan
    New Coach
    by NoCasl_ramfan
    Since everyone else is talking about the next coach I might as well my opinion in. What about Nolan Cromwell? He has worked his way up the coaching ranks starting as a DB coach, done special teams, and now he looks like he is the reciever coach in Seattle. So why not get his first head coaching job with the team he played for.
    -11-26-2007, 04:02 PM
  • rob6465
    Rod Chudzinski? Head Coach?
    by rob6465
    I really do not want another coordinator but read an article on THIS GUY and get this feeling he will be a very good head coach and change bradford's career.
    -12-16-2011, 09:52 AM
  • MauiRam
    Sylvester Croom .. Meet the Coaches ..
    by MauiRam
    By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Had Sylvester Croom followed the life plan that he had laid out for himself as a youngster, there’s no doubt he would have had a profound impact on plenty of people.

Make no mistake, though, the things Croom has done and seen in an alternate career path has opened doors, broken down walls and served as inspiration for more people than he might have ever touched as a school administrator.

Croom had originally intended to go through school, coach high school football and eventually work his way up to school principal and eventually superintendent of a local school district.

Instead, Croom became a football coach but what he’s done in a coaching career spanning 32 years has had an impact well beyond what happens on a football field.

“Once I got into coaching, a lot of it had to do at the time there were very few minority coaches, it’s hard to convince yourself you can do something when nobody that looked like you had ever done it,” Croom said. “You know you can but there are a lot of reasons why you can’t do it. But I was raised in a household where you prepare for anything even if the chance is very minor that it could happen.”

Growing up in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Croom spent most of his spare time around a football field. His father, Sylvester Croom Sr., was an All American player at Alabama A&M and eventually became a high school coach.

As a kid, Croom would spend any possible free minute around his father and the game with a particular fondness for games on Friday nights. That played a big role in introducing Croom to the game but he first earned his playing chops on the sandlots of Tuscaloosa.

Football in Alabama is a sort of religion and playing ball on the sandlot fields around town provided kids their first opportunity to experience the competitive aspects of the game.

“It was always serious, even playing in the sandlot,” Croom said. “We’d break up teams based on where you live and what neighborhood you were in. That’s the way we played. It was all about pride. That’s what has always stuck with me in the game.”

It wasn’t until the ninth grade that Croom began playing organized football, stepping on to the team at Tuscaloosa High as a linebacker and tight end. It was in that first year of high school when Croom was first involved in the progress of integration. He was a part of one of the first classes to integrate in Alabama and quickly learned the various moving pieces of that time in history.

Still, as Croom’s career on the field developed and he proved to be one of the better players in the state, he never harbored dreams of doing anything but possibly playing at a traditionally all black college like his father and eventually following his educational pursuits.

As a senior, Croom rooted for the home state school...
    -07-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Working...
X