Armageddon at Arrowhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armageddon at Arrowhead

While reading the Austin American Statesman this morning, enjoying a great migas breakfast (best thing to ever happen to breakfast since the chicken) I opened up page 2 of the sports section and what did I see? ARMAGEDDON AT ARROWHEAD. Geez, ESPN has corrupted even the print media. How could the destruction of Earth be compared to a football game between two schools who may not like each other but it's still just football?

I blame Chris Berman for all this "rumblin bumblin stumblin" journalistic nonsense. He has himself brought journalism to an all time low.

However, GO MIZZOU.

Re: Armageddon at Arrowhead

Tx, I hear what you're saying. However, a border war with both teams in the national title picture has to be one of the signs of the apocolypse, right?

I mean I can't remember exactly how it goes, but it's something like......plagues.... natural disasters.... famines.... KU vs. MU playing a meaningful game....2nd coming.

I'm not sure I have the exact order right, but that game is certainly in there.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Re: Armageddon at Arrowhead

This game is/was truly a strange situation for me as well. I mean a Mizzou & Kansas game with national title game implications?? How bizarre is that well? It is kind of like the world is spinning out of orbit or something. Then again, it has been that kind of year for me: A Missouri soldier, deployed with a Kansas unit to Kosovo. Oh how sweet it was to be up all night (started locally @ 0200) watching Mizzou beat the Blue Chicken Hawks. I talked smack all week with the General, Colonels & a couple of Sergeant Majors (all from Kansas). It was so gratifying to watch their KU Pride disipate as the night went along. Today a couple of Mizzou Car Flags fly proudly on a hill in southern Kosovo and their Jayhawk flag was found hanging upside down (how do you think that happened??). It is rivalries like this, under these circumstances, that make the days go by faster when missing family, friends and our country. Go MIZZOU-RAH!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

lol must read this
        by Guest
        I got this from the cards M-board

Random thoughts from people 25-35 years old.

-I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

-More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can
        think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell
        my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

-Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
        realize you're wrong.

-Have you ever been walking down the street and realized that you're
        going in the complete opposite direction of where you are supposed to
        be going? But instead of just turning a 180 and walking back in the direction
        from which you came, you have to first do something like check your
        watch or phone or make a grand arm gesture and mutter to yourself to
        ensure that no one in the surrounding area thinks you're crazy by
        randomly switching directions on the sidewalk.

-That's enough, Nickelback.

-I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

-Is it just me, or are 80% of the people in the "people you may know"
        feature on Facebook people that I do know, but I deliberately choose
        not to be friends with?

-Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't
        work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically
        fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all
        know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards
        or FAQ's. We just figured it out. Today's kids are soft.

-Sometimes, I'll watch a movie that I watched when I was younger and
        suddenly realize I had no idea what the f was going on when I first saw it.

-I think everyone has a movie that they love so much, it actually
        becomes stressful to watch it with other people. I'll end up wasting
        90 minutes shiftily glancing around to confirm that everyone's
        laughing at the right parts, then making sure I laugh just a little bit
        harder (and a millisecond earlier) to prove that I'm still the only one
        who really, really gets it.

-How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

-I would rather try to carry 10 plastic grocery bags in each hand than
        take 2 trips to bring my groceries in.

- I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear
        your computer history if you die.

-The only time I look forward to a red light is when I'm trying to finish a text.

- A recent study has shown that playing beer pong contributes to the
        spread of mono and the flu. Yeah, if you suck at it.

- LOL has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

-09-04-2009, 10:19 PM
      • txramsfan
        An American in Eindhoven-DeMarcus Beasley
        by txramsfan
        By Kelly Whiteside, USA TODAY

As red and white confetti poured from the black sky, DaMarcus Beasley took a swig from a cartoonishly large bottle of champagne.

An American in ... Eindhoven

"This is by far the best - my first championship as a professional," he said.

As soon as his Dutch soccer club, PSV Eindhoven, clinched the league title after a 3-0 victory Saturday against Vitesse Arnhem, PSV's players were given hats which read "Kampioen." Beasley took a black cap and stylishly ****ed it to the right.

As his teammates teased him about being so American - "Your hat is wrong," a few said - they tried to straighten Beasley's bill.

Beasley, 22, is one of the USA's leading exports in his first year abroad in the Netherlands' top professional league. Tuesday he is expected to become the first American to play in the semifinals of the Champions League, Europe's premier club tournament. PSV Eindhoven meets Italian power AC Milan at San Siro Stadium, one of the sport's grand cathedrals. (Related item: Other Americans in Champions League)

Beasley, a forward who has started in more than half of PSV's games, leads his team with four goals in 12 Champions League games and is his club's third-leading scorer overall with 12 goals in 42 games. Almost seamlessly, the Fort Wayne, Ind., native has quickly fit in with a culture (and a couture) markedly different from his own.

"The thing about DaMarcus that I continually find so remarkable is he's never intimidated by the setting, and that's always been one of the qualities that separates him from so many of our players, including our veterans as well," U.S. national team coach Bruce Arena says.

"For every player, even the most accomplished, when they go to a new environment, it takes some time to adjust. That was the case with DaMarcus. But obviously his learning curve is a lot shorter than most people. It won't be surprising to see him move forward and probably have a long career in Europe and play with an even bigger club at some point."

Last summer, when Beasley first arrived in Eindhoven, the country's fifth-largest city but more of a sleepy suburb in south Netherlands, PSV captain Mark van Bommel quickly came up with a nickname for the young American: "McDonald's."

In the USA, he's known as "Beas." In the Netherlands, he's a burger.

"They call me McDonald's because they think that all Americans eat is McDonald's. Then they'll call me 'Hamburger,' too. If I'm going to eat, they'll be like, 'Beasley, where you going to eat - McDonald's?' " Beasley says with a laugh.

Beasley, who is French-fry skinny, prefers large steaks at his favorite local joint,...
        -04-26-2005, 07:46 AM
      • Nick
        Dr. Z's TV Commentator Awards
        by Nick
        TV Commentator Awards

Dr. Z, SI.com

I have streamlined my Seventh Annual TV Commentator Awards. No more pregame shows to be rated, no more postgame things, no talk shows, etc. Because -- and how can I say this without sounding like I'm about 90 years old -- the shows are basically top-of-the-head garbage.

Well, not every bit of them, of course. I'll catch ESPN's Chris Mortensen for information. And the same network's Andrea Kremer is the only one who presented, out of the great expanse of Reggie White memorials, a coherent and three-dimensional picture of the man. But in the meantime ... oh my God, the trash.

ESPN's NFL Countdown, for instance, is an exercise in noise, where facts flee like frightened forest things and a thought expressed at anything but full volume will be mercilessly ground underfoot. Fox's NFL Sunday used to hold my attention, but now they've tricked it up, first with some horrible cartoon, fan fantasy football creation that got you into the show, and which, thankfully they did away with, and then with that Ten Yards With Terry Bradshaw thing.

You know, the quick Q&As. What does Jake Delhomme like better, hunting or fishing? What do all of them like better, Play Station II or Xbox? My God, they're asking about toys. Toys! Why not just get my 4-year old grand-daughter on there. Natasha, what's better, jacks or Slinky?

The best one was when Bradshaw gave Jerry Jones the Q&A routine. "NFL before Fox or NFL since Fox?" Gosh, that's a tough one. Deep thought. "NFL since Fox." Wow? Sound the cannon. Release the pigeons.

And this is what we must listen to, pretending it has been created by adults, for adult consumption. Insults such as that horribly dull, wooden "You've Been Sacked" that masqueraded as halftime entertainment on the Monday night show -- before it got sacked itself. ESPN's Stuart Scott on the Monday Night Countdown, previewing St. Louis-Green Bay: "A game so silly good it'll make you want to sop it up with a biscuit."

Enough already. They'll just have to get by without my help. But I will mention one thing about a trend I've noticed in the regular game telecasts, something that was just raising its head last season but now seems to be spawning: Talking through live action. Failing to describe or even notice it. Talking through a referee's announcement of a penalty, even though it might be important to the game. They just turn down the ref's volume, so that, if I hold my ear next to the speaker, I might get a faint murmur, without really catching the words.

All at the expense of ... what? Story lines. Themes. Informal essays. Anything but honest reporting and a real interest in the panorama that unfolds on the field. The broadcast teams the network consider top of the line are most guilty of this. The guys lower down in the lineup usually...
        -01-12-2005, 08:40 PM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Stuart Scott Dies At Age 49
        by r8rh8rmike
        Stuart Scott dies at age of 49

Updated: January 4, 2015, 1:15 PM ET
        By Steve Wulf | ESPN.com

Stuart Scott, a longtime anchor at ESPN, died Sunday morning at the age of 49.

Among the features of the new ESPN studio in Bristol is a wall of catchphrases made famous by on-air talent over the years. An amazing nine of them belong to one man -- from his signature "Boo-Yah!" to "As cool as the other side of the pillow" to "He must be the bus driver cuz he was takin' him to school."

That man is Stuart Scott, and his contributions to the sports lexicon are writ large. But they are only one aspect of his legacy. When he passed away, he left behind so much more. He inspired his colleagues with his sheer talent, his work ethic and his devotion to his daughters, Taelor, 19, and Sydni, 15. He defied convention and criticism to help bring this network into a new century. He spoke to the very athletes he was talking about with a flair and a style that ESPN president John Skipper says, "changed everything."

"He didn't just push the envelope," says sports radio host and former ESPN anchor Dan Patrick. "He bulldozed the envelope."

Scott was remembered through an outpouring of tributes by athletes, colleagues and fans on Twitter and statements from his alma mater, the University of North Carolina, which said that "his legacy will live on in many ways -- as a friend, a son, a father, a professional and forever, a Tar Heel," and President Barack Obama.

"I will miss Stuart Scott. Twenty years ago, Stu helped usher in a new way to talk about our favorite teams and the day's best plays. For much of those twenty years, public service and campaigns have kept me from my family -- but wherever I went, I could flip on the TV and Stu and his colleagues on SportsCenter were there. Over the years, he entertained us, and in the end, he inspired us -- with courage and love. Michelle and I offer our thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and colleagues," the President said.

Moments of silence were held at some sporting events Sunday, including the NFL wild-card game between the Cincinnati Bengals and Indianapolis Colts.

Scott saved his best for his last year on the air. At the ESPYS on July 16, shortly before his 49th birthday and following another round of cancer surgery, Stuart accepted the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance with strength, humor, grace and these eloquent words: "When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live."

So while the grief is deep at ESPN over the death of Stuart Scott, so is our gratitude. He was as popular on campus as he was in the airports he passed through and on the sidelines he worked over the last 22 years. He brought...
        -01-04-2015, 10:28 AM
      • Fat Pang
        The first ten minutes.
        by Fat Pang
        I really wasn't sure which forum to put this post in. It's about football, but it's not about the Rams or the NFL. It's also very personal, or at least it's very personal in the sense that it's purely about my sensory perceptions of the first ten minutes of a football game from a players point of view. So, I plumped for the the default choice of the lounge, on the basis that in the unlikely event that I offended anyone with my musings, not very many people would see it.

As I think we can all agree, whether Ram fans or not, (and there are some who grace our forums who add to this site and aren't) the start of the football season is something to be savoured and anticipated. We start thinking about the future as soon as our teams last snap is concluded. Whether we were happy with the achievments of our chosen team or not,the future provides the panacea for all ills. Anything is possible in the virtual nirvana that is the future. Worst to first in one season is possible, we all know it, so what's to stop us from dreaming?

It's one of the best features of the human condition, a natural optimism, that, guided by the love of the sport, finds itself a comfortable chair, a jaundiced view and dreams of glories to come. I've already discussed this somewhere else of course, and informed you all of my intention to look for the best this season. I'm sincere in that and hope that I'm pleasantly surprised, but I realised this morning that as I did so, I was talking from a fans point of view.

This is natural of course because I am an armchair fan, but I was also a player for nearly eight years, and so realised that there are other points of view to explore. Player and fan aren't necessarily related either. At college, I knew guys who loved playing the game and were very good at it but who hated watching it and regarded the three hours spent doing so as a complete waste of time. Happy to have their own bones broken, but not too interested in seeing others break theirs.

So there is a difference that we often ignore when it comes to being passionate about the result of a football game and the outcome of a season and the vantage point from which you view it.

We're all guilty of it too. How often have we screamed at the television, berating those players who are on the wrong end of a caning for not caring quite as much as we do? How often have we held them culpable for dashing our dreams? How often have we accused them of being paycheque(paycheck) players with all that is implied in that statement?

I know that I felt that I had cause to do all those things for virtually the entire 90's.:x

However at work this morning, whilst writing a lesson plan that would teach chinese children whose native language is Cantonese, to write Japanese Haiku poetry in English, (Not as hard as it sounds) I thought about this very pertinent fact, something I was surprised I hadn't considered...
        -09-06-2006, 06:36 AM
      Working...
      X