• HUbison
    started a topic Hey Nick...

Hey Nick...

Your boy's a Wolverine! What's up?

• fearlessone
    replied
    Re: Hey Nick...

Nick,

I really enjoyed your post and it was probably the best post I have read on this site all season.

Adding insult to injury must be difficult when all the marbles were there for your team.
    I think coach Rod is making a terrible mistake leaving a top 10 calibre team and playing in a much weaker division in my valuable opinion by taking on a program that is not where its supporters want it to be.

WVU has been great the last few years and their basketball program is pretty awesome too.

BTW, I had been a Les Myles supporter since he has been in Red Stick, but I feel he did not make basic changes during the season that could have won the games we lost and the studs we have in the backfield have been under utilized so I WANTED HIM TO TAKE THE MICHIGAN job and I would take Coach Rod in a heartbeat!!!

Coach Rod is not yet a satan or spurrier or that coach formerly with atl but he is going in that direction. He really put WVU on the MAP with a HUGE STAR!!! Your program is awesome and should be really exciting to be a part of for many more years!!!

Happy New Year!!!

FLO

Leave a comment:

• HUbison
    replied

and even Doc Holliday
    He'll be your huckleberry.

Leave a comment:

• Benedict Arnold
    replied

I see nothing wrong with what transpired here, nothing at all...

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Nick, that was one hell of a post.

I've heard the name of another WV guy, Terry Bowden, being thrown around as a possible replacement for Rodriguez. What do you think?
    Thanks, Mike. It's been an... interesting last couple of days here in Morgantown, that's for sure.

Bowden really seems to be the front runner at this point. Early word was that FSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher was a top contender but it doesn't sound like he's inclined to ditch the future head coaching gig there to come here and take our's. Former WVU assistant coach Rick Trickett, also at FSU, may be a contender for the vacancy here. Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster is a name that's generating a lot of buzz as well.

Then you've got guys like George "Duke" Henshaw (assistant for the Saints), Butch Jones (CMU head coach), and even Doc Holliday (assistant at Florida) being thrown around as contenders as well.

I guess that's one of the positive things you can take out of this initial coaching search - there have been a number of guys ready and willing to toss their name into the hat.

Leave a comment:

• r8rh8rmike
    replied

Nick, that was one hell of a post.

I've heard the name of another WV guy, Terry Bowden, being thrown around as a possible replacement for Rodriguez. What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied

This entire state thought they had a loyal coach, a West Virginian born and raised, who wanted to be here, and it turned out that wasn't true.

Last year he used the Alabama job offer as a negotiating tool to force the university to meet his demands if he were to stay. The university did exactly that, giving Coach Rod a 70% increase in salary, bumping the salaries of his assistants, building a $2 million academic center for the team, and starting construction on $6 million worth of locker room renovations. Rod responded by reupping here with a seven-year extension that he just signed three months ago after agreeing to terms in December '06.

But apparently signing that long-term contractual commitment didn't translate into a reality-based commitment, because Rod takes a secret meeting with the UM staff while in Toledo and comes back with more demands based on his talks with them. To be fair to Rod, none of the demands seemed to be for his own personal gain but rather for his players, his staff, and other coaches. But according to the chairman of the Board of Governors, Rod was told by university officials that they would continue to work on the issues brought up.

Rod expected them to buckle immediately to his extortion-like game just like they did the previous year, and university officials called his bluff, even though some of these things were probably more do-able than not. So he left. But before leaving, before he even told his team his decision to go, he made sure to call a couple of recruits and tell them first so he could gauge their interest and have them put Michigan on their list. That seems to be the way the story is shaped at this point in time.

What it boils down to though is this - you either want to be here or you don't. Most of the WVU faithful, the ones who live here in West Virginia and who understand what it means to be a Mountaineer, thought that we ended this little game last year. We're talking about a guy who was born in Grant Town, played high school ball at North Marion, played for WVU as a walk-on under Don Nehlen, coached in WV at both Salem and Glenville State, and then returned to lead this team to a new level of achievement.

He was a golden boy in this state, and according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, we're expected to believe that he threw it all away for incredibly minor things - $100K more in bonus money for his assistants, allowing scholarship players to keep their books after each semester, waiving a ticket fee for high school coaches attending games, and adding more recruiting assistants.

Seriously? That's why you leave? Puh-lease, no one's buying that one, Coach. At least no more than anyone should have believed your line last year about how you "plan on being here a long time."

It seems pretty clear Rodriguez didn't truly want to be here, and instead, was using this job as a stepping stone to his next job. No one is pretending that the Michigan job is less prestigious than West Virginia. We recognize that UM is a step up on the career platform from little ol' Morgantown. The recruiting will be easier, the recognition will be greater, we see all of those things. Even though WVU is now at the level of a national contender and recruiting was really starting to come around, no one is naive enough to think that we're standing toe to toe in the college ranks with a university like Michigan in terms of national recognition and status.

But the point is we didn't think that mattered to Rich, especially since he was turning things around here and making us a household name. We thought a guy from this state, a guy who played for the old gold and blue himself, would feel a bigger sense of loyalty to his alma mater than this. Who knows, maybe the days of loyalty in college football are going the ways of those in pro football and this kind of behavior is to be expected.

But that would be news to the fans of this state, because we bleed old gold and blue. We thought Rich Rod did as well. But according to his representatives, Rich Rod may even contest the $4 million buy-out that's part of his contract by claiming the university acted in bad faith or fraudulently in not meeting his demands more quickly.

However, if WVU fans are realizing anything right now, it's that the only fraud in this entire production is Rodriguez himself for fooling us into thinking he was one of us, a true Mountaineer. Instead, it seems this was just another job. What a shame.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-18-2007, 11:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
    New Beginning for Solich
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 1, 2005

By Kevin Armstrong

Special to CSTV.com

Left for dead in the cornfields of Lincoln, Nebraska, Frank Solich did not turn to the booth of broadcasting or the greens of golf links.

No, not Solich. He wasn't built for those relaxed atmospheres. The corporate coats wouldn't look right on him, the golf club wasn't his support system. But without a whistle around his neck or an office overlooking a gridiron, Solich knew that he had to keep busy. The fire still burned inside, even as his career had flamed out in Nebraska. He picked up the phone, calling coaches he knew, others that friends knew, touring the phonebook for a lead.

He found his next year on the other side of the telephone lines. He was going rise from the coaching dead and travel. He was going to learn by taking a three-step drop, then explode from there.

He had meetings to attend and clinics to observe. Looking for meetings the way streetballers seek pick-up games, Solich packed up his days at the alma mater and set out for higher education. His Huskin' days were over. No flock of Nebraskans stood behind him as he walked away. No, the time was different for Solich, a lifelong Cornhusker.

"I still had the desire inside, and I knew that I could not just sit around for a full year, let alone a season," Solich said. "So I went out to professional teams and a few Division I-A programs. I learned so much."

The experience was new. Never before had he networked the coaching carousel. Having been a Tom Osborne assistant and follower his entire career, Solich's sole purpose in life was Husker football. He graduated in 1966 with a Bachelor's of Science and went on to earn his master's degree in education in 1972. Then, he coached a few high school stops before becoming Nebraska's freshman coach in 1979. From there, he served as a Husker assistant until the day that he became Tom Osborne's successor, and even with a 58-19 record (.753 winning percentage) from 1998-2003, Solich wasn't enough to match Osborne. So when the axe came down in 2003, things had to change.

"I never networked. I just did my job," Solich said about his days on the Huskers' sidelines.

And so it was that the network-less coach set out to learn about other places. He wanted to know more angles and more ways to success. Not that he did not appreciate the Nebraska way, he just thought he could benefit from knowing what else was out there.

"What I saw was a lot like what we did at Nebraska. I saw coaches who were not real screamers getting their points across. It was a great opportunity for me to grow as a coach," Solich said.

Stops...
    -08-21-2005, 02:24 PM
  • MauiRam
    Sylvester Croom .. Meet the Coaches ..
    by MauiRam
    By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Had Sylvester Croom followed the life plan that he had laid out for himself as a youngster, there’s no doubt he would have had a profound impact on plenty of people.

Make no mistake, though, the things Croom has done and seen in an alternate career path has opened doors, broken down walls and served as inspiration for more people than he might have ever touched as a school administrator.

Croom had originally intended to go through school, coach high school football and eventually work his way up to school principal and eventually superintendent of a local school district.

Instead, Croom became a football coach but what he’s done in a coaching career spanning 32 years has had an impact well beyond what happens on a football field.

“Once I got into coaching, a lot of it had to do at the time there were very few minority coaches, it’s hard to convince yourself you can do something when nobody that looked like you had ever done it,” Croom said. “You know you can but there are a lot of reasons why you can’t do it. But I was raised in a household where you prepare for anything even if the chance is very minor that it could happen.”

Growing up in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Croom spent most of his spare time around a football field. His father, Sylvester Croom Sr., was an All American player at Alabama A&M and eventually became a high school coach.

As a kid, Croom would spend any possible free minute around his father and the game with a particular fondness for games on Friday nights. That played a big role in introducing Croom to the game but he first earned his playing chops on the sandlots of Tuscaloosa.

Football in Alabama is a sort of religion and playing ball on the sandlot fields around town provided kids their first opportunity to experience the competitive aspects of the game.

“It was always serious, even playing in the sandlot,” Croom said. “We’d break up teams based on where you live and what neighborhood you were in. That’s the way we played. It was all about pride. That’s what has always stuck with me in the game.”

It wasn’t until the ninth grade that Croom began playing organized football, stepping on to the team at Tuscaloosa High as a linebacker and tight end. It was in that first year of high school when Croom was first involved in the progress of integration. He was a part of one of the first classes to integrate in Alabama and quickly learned the various moving pieces of that time in history.

Still, as Croom’s career on the field developed and he proved to be one of the better players in the state, he never harbored dreams of doing anything but possibly playing at a traditionally all black college like his father and eventually following his educational pursuits.

As a senior, Croom rooted for the home state school...
    -07-18-2009, 01:50 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Gundy, Stillwater run deep with optimism for OSU football
    by DJRamFan
    Feb. 14, 2005
    By Dennis Dodd
    SportsLine.com Senior Writer
    Tell Dennis your opinion!

STILLWATER, Okla. -- This is what a couple of victories over Oklahoma will get you ...

Interest from a millionaire donor.
    Interest in your coach.
    Interest in getting better?
    Oklahoma State is in the business of answering that question -- again. It's a common one in Stillwater, where rookie Mike Gundy is the fourth coach since crippling NCAA sanctions tore OSU football apart in 1988.

QB Donovan Woods will have the spotlight next year. (Getty Images)
    Its perpetual starting point is being the other program in the state, seldom dealing from a position of strength. On its own campus, Eddie Sutton consistently fields a top 10 basketball program. OSU football constantly fights for recruits, attention and victories against that national power 90 minutes down the road.

Ah, that's where the Cowboys can claim some progress. Quick, name the only school to beat Oklahoma more than once since the beginning of the 2000 season.

Yep, Oklahoma State, which has won two of the past four meetings and five of the past 10.

"Our staff, in my honest opinion, does a great job of game-planning them," said Gundy, who ascended from offensive coordinator to replace Les Miles on Jan. 3. "We challenge them. We go after them. Some teams go out there and say, 'Let's get this over with.' Our players go right after them."

Sooners everywhere have about eight months to let those words soak in. Until then, I-A's youngest coach (Gundy is 37) is brash enough to keep crowing. Miles wasn't shy about the subject while leading the program out of a decade-long malaise before departing for LSU. While his record wasn't spectacular (28-21), his organizational skills and game-planning were outstanding.

Ask Oklahoma. A going-nowhere Cowboys team beat the No. 4 Sooners in Norman 16-13 in 2001, Miles' first season. They did it again the next year, winning 38-28 against a team ranked No. 3.

Based largely on those two results, LSU swept in and hired Miles, the only coach to guide Oklahoma State to three consecutive bowls. Also based on those victories, Oklahoma State quickly replaced him with Gundy. Millionaire T. Boone Pickens was already on board, having given a combined $200 million to the school and athletic department.

Mike Gundy file
    A brief history of Oklahoma State's new coach:
    Birthdate: Aug. 12, 1967 (youngest I-A coach)
    Wife: Kristen
    Children: Gavin, Gunnar, Gage
    School: Oklahoma State
    Playing experience: Four-year starter at quarterback, 1986-89; still holds school career passing record (7,997 yards)
    Coaching experience: assistant Oklahoma State, 1990-1995; Baylor, 1996; Maryland,...
    -02-18-2005, 07:48 AM
  • Nick
    Rodriguez suspected in destruction of WVU files
    by Nick
    Football player files missing
    Fingers point to Rodriguez
    By Dave Hickman
    Staff writer
    January 15, 2008

MORGANTOWN — West Virginia officials are wondering if assistant coaches aren’t all that Rich Rodriguez took with him to Michigan. They believe he may also have destroyed all or most of the paperwork files relating to every player on the current Mountaineer roster and virtually all of the activities conducted by the program over the past seven years.

Soon after returning to work after the Fiesta Bowl a little more than a week ago, the staff at the Puskar Center found that most of the files — including all of the player files — that had been stored in Rodriguez’s private office were missing. In addition, all of the players’ strength and conditioning files in the weight room were gone.

“It’s unbelievable. Everything is gone, like it never existed,’’ said a source within the athletic department, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “Good, bad or indifferent, we don’t have a record of anything that has happened.’’

According to the source, the files in Rodriguez’s office that are now missing included everything from records regarding summer camps — financial and otherwise — to data on boosters, recruiting and most everything related to activities within the program during Rodriguez’s seven years at WVU.

Most disturbing, though, is the absence of all of the players’ personal files, which included, among other things, contact information, scholarship money awarded, class attendance records and records on personal conduct and community service, be it positive or negative.

“If a player spoke to a school or did public service, we don’t have a record of it,’’ said the source. “If he broke a rule or missed class, we don’t have a record of that, either. We don’t have anything. All the good things these kids have done over the years, there’s nothing — not a picture of somebody speaking to a class, nothing. Why would somebody do that?’’

West Virginia athletic director Ed Pastilong did not return a message seeking comment Monday night. Neither could Rodriguez be reached for comment.

The files went missing sometime between when Rodriguez resigned on Dec. 16 and the time the team and staff returned from the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 3. It could have happened as early as the first days following Rodriguez’s resignation because his old office was largely ignored by the support staff and the coaching staff between the time he left and Dec. 26, when the team and support staff all went to Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl.

According to multiple sources, several people in the Puskar Center reported seeing Rodriguez and at least one member of his inner circle, video coordinator Dusty Rutledge, in Rodriguez’s private office shredding paperwork on Dec. 18. That’s the day he returned to clean out his office after being introduced...
    -01-15-2008, 09:46 PM
  • DJRamFan
    ronzookclassypickupforillinois.com
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 1, 2005
    By Dennis Dodd
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
    Tell Dennis your opinion!

CHICAGO -- Ron Zook knows his place in college football history. One of the most famous URLs in college football history is still only a couple of keystrokes away.

Ron Zook brings a .621 winning percentage to Illinois after guiding the Gators to 7-4 in his final season. (Getty Images)
    fireronzook.com

"I took off from New Orleans, and before I landed in Gainesville, they had that," Zook said reminiscing (sort of) Monday at the Big Ten preseason media days. "(Pittsburgh Steelers coach) Bill Cowher told me, 'Man, you screwed this game up. Now everybody has 'Fire Bill Cowher.'

"I said that's my legacy to coaching."

Pretty much. For now. The infamous website now exists only to proclaim "VICTORY" in huge headline type through a doctored front page. Dwight Eisenhower is smiling out from a picture on A1, as if to suggest a battle of World War II proportions had been won.

The going-out-of business-sale for fireronzook.com gear ($9.99 for the thong panties, who knew?) is supposedly concluded. The site, in case you're wondering, supports the hiring of Urban Meyer and proclaims Saturdays are worth waking up for again, "with a Bloody Mary, of course."

Coaches have been fired, run out of town and disgraced, but seldom all three, and practically never with a .621 winning percentage.

Just so you know where this column is heading.

What could have been called ronzookfiresback.com debuted Monday -- Zook, the new Illinois coach, taking some not-so-veiled shots at his old employers. Which was great. It's about time. The guy who delivered more filibusters than big victories at Florida isn't a boob or a fool. He's merely the latest guy-to-follow-the-guy, that unfortunate cradle of coaches that counts Bill Guthridge, Gary Gibbs and Gene Bartow among its exclusive group.

In order, those three followed legends Dean Smith, Barry Switzer and John Wooden. Zook followed The OBC (Ol' Ball Coach), the Florida icon who won six SEC titles and a national championship. No, he wasn't athletic director Jeremy Foley's first choice. No, he had no head coaching experience. And yes, frz.com was literally fired up and running before he left the New Orleans Saints to touch down in Gainesville.

But ...

"What did you want me to do, tell them no?" Zook said.

Exactly. What would you do if a super-rich major-college power dumped its football program in your lap? Delivered you from life of assistant coach servitude? Gave you that one chance that 99 percent of coaches never get?

"People say, 'Why would you follow Steve Spurrier?'" Zook said....
    -08-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Working...
X