X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B. Sanders, Theismann, D. Green among 17 to join Hall

Aug. 15, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Barry Sanders scampered right and threw a 20-yard pass that Joe Theismann stood waiting to intercept. Darrell Green bolted in front of his former teammate to catch the TD pass.

Advertisement

The three were out of position, yet all were right where they belonged Saturday, playing in the annual flag football game before being enshrined into the College Football Hall of Fame.

"It's like coming home," said Theismann, who 34 years ago played just five minutes away, at Notre Dame.

Among the 17 players enshrined Saturday were late USC tailback Ricky Bell, Pittsburgh tackle Jimbo Covert, SMU receiver Jerry LeVias and Georgia quarterback John Rauch. Five coaches were also enshrined, including Doug Dickey, who coached at Tennessee and Florida, and Hayden Fry, who coached at SMU, North Texas State and Iowa.

Theismann said at the banquet Saturday night that he had been both lucky and blessed.

"Every one of us seated here is humbled by this experience," he said. "We're honored to grace this stage where so many men have come before us and done so much."

For Sanders, the 1988 Heisman Trophy winner at Oklahoma State, it was his second hall of fame ceremony in six days. On Aug. 8, he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Sanders said he hasn't had time to think about the significance of the honors.

"I have to get away for a couple of days and let it all sink in," he said. "To be inducted in both is beyond my wildest dreams."

Sanders said the college hall is just as special to him as the pro hall. Growing up, his dream was to play college football, not pro football, he said.

"College to me is unique and special in its own right," he said. "You're not playing the game for a paycheck -- at least not at Oklahoma State."

At the banquet Saturday night, Sanders also joked about a comment his father, William Sanders, made during his induction into the pro hall that his son was the third best running back ever, behind Jim Brown and himself.

"I'm thinking his stats have incredibly improved over the years," Sanders said.

Advertisement

Green, who retired two years ago after playing 20 seasons with the Washington Redskins, showed his speed and athleticism in the flag football game, throwing three touchdown passes, catching another, intercepting a pass and breaking up another.

Green, who played only two years of football in high school and almost quit Texas A&I (now known as Texas A&M-Kingsville), said he still has a hard time believing how far the sport has taken him.

"This is all a surprise," he said. "I was just fortunate to get the chance to play."

He said the best part of his success is being able to have an influence on others, both young children and lawmakers. He said he is able to talk about things that are important, such as education and volunteering.

"We as athletes have an incredible voice," he said. "But athletes have to take responsibility. ... I always want to influence in such a way to cause all of the heavens to rejoice. If it causes the heavens to rejoice, it should cause the earth to rejoice."

Dan Ross, a tight end at Northeastern who went on to play in the NFL with the Cincinnati Bengals, said being inducted into the hall was overwhelming.

"I've played in Pro Bowls. I've played in the Super Bowl. I hold the record for passes caught in the Super Bowl, and I thought I reached the top of the football ladder. But nothing, absolutely nothing, compares to this," he said.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
    Hall of Famers Lament Lack of Patience With Coaches
    by DJRamFan
    Former Navy and Virginia coach George Welsh says his hall of fame career would be cut short by today's standards.

Dec. 7, 2004

By RALPH D. RUSSO
    AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - George Welsh was 23-32 in his first five seasons as coach at Navy, and doubts he would have gotten a sixth if he had similar results these days.

"I was out of there in this era," he said.

Navy stuck with Welsh for five more seasons, and he ended his nine-year stay in Annapolis, Md., as the winningest coach in school history with three bowl appearances.

"I think it helped that I was 4-1 against Army and I was an alumnus," Welsh said. "But I don't think that would help much anymore."

He went on to 19 seasons at Virginia, where he again won more games than any coach in school history. He finished his 28-year career with 189 victories and was inducted Tuesday night into the College Football Hall of Fame along with former BYU coach LaVell Edwards and 12 players, including former Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware from Houston.

The other players inducted were Army running back Bob Anderson, Oklahoma defensive lineman Tony Casillas, Tennessee linebacker Frank Emanuel, Southern Mississippi punter Ray Guy, Arkansas guard/linebacker Wayne Harris, California quarterback Joe Kapp, Michigan tight end Jim Mandich, Penn State running back Lydell Mitchell, Auburn defensive tackle Tracy Rocker, Ohio State defensive back Jack Tatum and Southern California tight end Charles Young.

They will be enshrined in South Bend, Ind., in August.

Ten Division I-A college football coaches have been fired this season and two others resigned under pressure. Among those let go were Ron Zook at Florida, Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame and David Cutcliffe at Mississippi, all of whom had winning records at their schools. Zook and Willingham were fired after just three seasons.

Welsh and Edwards, who coached at BYU for 29 years, said the current win-now atmosphere has gotten so feverish that it's difficult for coaches to get a fair shot.

"I think it's the money," Welsh said. "I think there's too much outside influence and too much pressure on the athletic directors and the presidents to change.

Edwards had just one losing season and won 257 games and a national title in 1984. But his salary never approached the $2 million a year that coaches such as LSU's Nick Saban and Oklahoma's Bob Stoops pull in. Urban Meyer became the latest to enter that income bracket when he was officially introduced Tuesday as Zook's replacement at Florida.

"You don't pay a million a year and expect to have patience," Edwards said.

Now, even schools outside the perennial national title contenders...
    -12-08-2004, 06:45 PM
  • RamWraith
    McCutcheon Inducted into Texas Panhandle Hall of Fame
    by RamWraith
    Wednesday, February 16, 2005

ST. LOUIS – One of the most prolific runners in Rams history, Lawrence McCutcheon recently was inducted into the Texas Panhandle Hall of Fame. In a ceremony held in Amarillo, Tex., about 60 miles from his hometown of Plainview, McCutcheon was one of three individuals that received the honor.

“It’s a nice honor,” said McCutcheon, who now serves as director of player personnel for the Rams. “I got a chance to see a lot of guys that I played with and against in high school and got a chance to see my family. It was a really nice.”

McCutcheon attended an all-Black Booker T. Washington High School for his first three years, but after Washington closed, he transferred to Plainview High School after full integration in 1967. On Plainview’s first integrated football team, he rushed for 589 yards as well as starring at linebacker as the team posted a 7-3 record, the school’s first winning record in 10 years.

“As far as racial situations, I never had any issues or problems with that,” said McCutcheon. “I stayed at Booker T. Washington because I was comfortable with all of my friends and that is where I had gone all of my life. The racial part of it, I had no problem with it. I played Little League baseball and pickup basketball with those guys at the high school and we always had no problem with that issue.”

McCutcheon went on to play college football at Colorado State, where he set more than 20 school and Western Athletic Conference records in his three years at the school, later becoming a member of Colorado State’s Athletic Hall of Fame.

He became a third-round draft choice of the Los Angeles Rams in 1972, and when he left the team after the 1979 season, the four-time Pro Bowler finished as the organization’s all-time leading rusher with 6,186 yards and continues to hold the record for most playoff rushing yards (687).

“It’s a great honor for everybody in this organization to witness Clutch receive this award,” said Rams General Manager Charley Armey. “He has not only been a great running back in this team’s history, but he has been a great employee for the St. Louis Rams. We are very proud of him and very proud of his achievements.”

The Texas Panhandle Sports Hall of Fame was started in 1958 from an idea suggested by Putt Powell, longtime Amarillo Globe News sportswriter.
    -02-18-2005, 06:47 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Ex-Virginia coach Welsh headed for College Football Hall
    by DJRamFan
    Oct. 8, 2004

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Former Virginia football coach George Welsh will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in December.

Welsh retired in 2000 as Virginia's career leader in coaching victories, ending a 28-year career. The 71-year-old Welsh said before Virginia's game against Clemson on Thursday night that he'd like to coach again.

"I'd like to get back in the game, maybe as an assistant in the right program," he said. "There's only three or four spots that I would go."

Welsh spent 19 years at Virginia, compiling a 134-86-3 record and guiding the Cavaliers to the first 10 bowl appearances in their history. He also directed them to their only No. 1 ranking for three weeks in 1990, and had eight players chosen in the first round of the NFL Draft.

He also coached from 1973-81 at Navy, his alma mater. His teams were 55-46-1, and went to three bowls, making him Navy's winningest coach.

AP NEWS

-10-08-2004, 02:21 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Longtime University of the South football coach dies at 78
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 2, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

SEWANEE, Tenn. -- James Moore Jr., the football coach at the University of the South for 32 years who also coached four other sports at the school, died at 78.

He died Saturday, the Cumberland Funeral Home said.

Moore was the football coach from 1956-87 and had a record of 260-200-2. He also coached golf, tennis, track and field and wrestling and won 12 team championships in his five sports at the college, a member of the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference.

After he retired, Moore was a volunteer kicking coach at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga.

Moore was a freshman on the Tennessee football team that went to the 1945 Rose Bowl, but he was drafted into the Army two weeks before that game. After serving in World War II, he played football at Tennessee Tech and graduated in 1950.

He was inducted into the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame in 1993 and the Sewanee athletics hall of fame in 2004.

Survivors include his wife, Novella, five daughters and a brother.

Services were held on campus Tuesday, with his former athletes serving as honorary pallbearers.

AP NEWS

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -08-02-2005, 02:32 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Time heals all wounds: Elway, Reeves make peace
    by DJRamFan
    July 9, 2004

DENVER -- With his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame approaching, former Denver Broncos quarterback John Elway has reconciled with former coach Dan Reeves, with whom he famously sparred.

Advertisement

The healing began after Elway invited Reeves to the induction ceremony Aug. 8.

"It never crossed my mind not to invite him," Elway told the Denver Post. "Time heals everything. Those types of things, those little problems, you just can't let them linger. They add up. Bitterness is no way to go through life. There are absolutely no ill feelings on my part toward Dan. I'm looking forward to seeing him."

Reeves coached Elway for 10 of the quarterback's 16 seasons in the NFL, but their relationship was strained after three Super Bowl losses from 1987 to 1990.

John Elway and his former coach Dan Reeves have put their differences behind them.(Getty Images)
    Elway said he felt inhibited in Reeves' offensive system. Their relationship worsened after the 1990 season, when Reeves attempted to trade Elway without first telling him.

So it was an emotional moment when Reeves received an invitation to attend the Hall of Fame ceremony, Reeves told the Post.

"I was thrilled, to say the least," said Reeves. "I had no way of knowing. I don't care about the past. You've got to move forward. I've always felt that way. I can't wait to see a great player going into the Hall of Fame."

Reeves said he called Elway after receiving the invitation to make sure it was OK for him to attend.

"He told me he made the list and he wanted all the people who played a part in him getting there to be there, and he certainly wanted me there," Reeves said. "It definitely felt good to hear that. I was just elated."

Under Reeves, Elway completed 54.7 percent of his passes for 158 touchdowns, compared to 60 percent completions and 142 touchdowns in the six seasons after Reeves left.

Elway said he sometimes wonders how Reeves affected his career statistics but that he has come to appreciate his former coach over time.

Winning two Super Bowls also helped.

"Once I did that, it helped me feel different about things," said Elway, 44. "I don't hold any grudges, any ill feelings toward him. The bottom line is we won a lot of football games when he was here. We didn't see eye to eye, but I still think he's a great football coach."

AP NEWS

-07-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Working...
X