Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovie Smith's son a Missouri Tiger

From InsideMizoo's scout.com board:

"If thereís one thing everyone knows about recent Missouri football commit Miles Smith, itís that heís the son of Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith. But thatís all we knew, so we made a few calls and got the scoop on Smith, who recently decided to accept an offer to become a preferred walk-on at Mizzou."

To read the rest of the story, you must be a subscriber

Related Topics

Collapse

• bigduke18
    Lovie Smith
    by bigduke18
    Am I the only one to be pissed about the success that the Bears are enjoying, thanks to the Rams losing Lovie Smith from the coaching staff?
    -12-16-2005, 06:49 AM
  • RamWraith
    Smith NFL Coach of the Year
    by RamWraith
    Lovie Smith was just named AP NFL Coach of the year beating out Tony Dungy of the Colts.
    -01-07-2006, 09:20 AM
  • BigGameMN
    Smith, Bears contract talks reach stalemate
    by BigGameMN
    Smith needs to dump current agent Frank Bauer and hire Jack Bauer. I'm sure he would have a new deal in no time....
    -02-21-2007, 07:53 PM
  • RamWraith
    Smith Takes Long Road to St. Louis
    by RamWraith
    Saturday, May 12, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

By now, almost everybody knows the incredible story of the No. 13 that came to camp with the Rams as a long shot and left as a legend. This story isnít about that player and the ending has yet to be written, but if itís ending is anything close to the last one, it will be every bit as heartwarming and just as incredible.

Throwing on the No. 13 practice jersey would seem like bad luck considering the negative connotation that goes with the number. In St. Louis, itís a number revered for what quarterback Kurt Warner once did with it on his back.

This weekend, at the Ramsí rookie minicamp, the next in the line of players to pull that jersey over the shoulder pads is taking aim at being the next undrafted rookie free agent makes good story.

His name is Shaine Smith. At 6í2, 189 pounds, he cuts a lean, almost lanky shadow that lets you know immediately that he is a wide receiver. At first glance, Smith seems like normal camp fodder, a player who looks the part, but might never get past the training camp stage of the NFL offseason.

But Smithís journey to St. Louis has been anything but normal. Some would call it arduous, others might say difficult and some might not believe you if you told them.

ďI have come a long way from where I have been and I tell ya, itís hard to say I am in a Rams uniform right now, itís hard to fathom,Ē Smith said. ďBut I worked hard and I always believed and dreamed I would be able to do this.Ē

Smith had a relatively normal upbringing in San Diego. Although his parents had separated when he was young and his family didnít have a whole lot of money, Smith was able to make his way through school while excelling on the football field.

Before he could make the next step to college football, though, things began to unravel around him. In 2000, Smithís mother, Lorraine Taylor, lost her job working at an insurance company in San Diego.

Without that source of income, she was no longer able to pay the rent and provide for Smith and his younger half-brother, Trevor. For the next two months that trio began bouncing around San Diego with no place to call home.

They stayed in hotels when Taylor could afford it, but set up in Taylorís Honda Civic just as often. Three people in a tiny, four-door car was hardly the ideal living situation.

When Matthew Smith, Shaineís father, heard about the situation, he set out to find a way to help his son. The only problem was Shaine was on the other side of the country. Matthew Smith lived in Queens, N.Y., and fought to get Shaine to join him.

Smith resisted, opting to live with his football coach and some family friends for two months before finally relenting and moving to be with his father. It was the middle of Smithís junior season when he caved...
    -05-12-2007, 07:13 PM
  • Rammed
    Bears fire GM Angelo
    by Rammed
    OPENING HIT:*The*Bears*fired Jerry Angelo, the team's general manager, and a team source said the reason why was simple:"The organization was growing stale."Interesting. Not sure I'd agree with that and it seems that Angelo was far from the main problem with the Bears. The firing of Angelo seems completely and utterly reactionary to not making the playoffs. Angelo isn't blameless but the reason Chicago*didn't make the postseason*is because their two offensive stars,*Jay Cutler*and*Matt Forte, were injured. Let's be real. A healthy Bears team is probably still playing.Let's put it this way. As Bears general manager Angelo was 95-41 overall. Under him the Bears won four division championships and went to a Super Bowl. Does that sound like a man who should have been fired?But this is the NFL. Being sensible or patient is against league rules. I actually think teams get fined for that.The team announced on its website that Smith would coach in 2012. A source had earlier told me that Smith was in trouble and I still think he is. I'm still not convinced Smith will coach the Bears next season and I'm extremely skeptical he'll coach beyond that.A new GM wants his guy and it's only a matter of time before the new GM, well, pushes for his guy. Smith is not that person.We'll see.
    -01-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Working...
X