Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colorado indicted by grand jury in recruiting scandal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Colorado indicted by grand jury in recruiting scandal

    Aug. 22, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    DENVER -- A state grand jury has handed down an indictment regarding the use of prostitutes to entice football recruits to the University of Colorado, according to a published report.

    The Denver Post reported the development in its Sunday editions. The newspaper, however, does not say who is named in the indictment. Whomever is indicted will be notified within 10 days and then will have 10 days to respond.

    Ken Lane, spokesman for Colorado Attorney General Ken Salazar, did not return a phone call from the Associated Press seeking comment Sunday.

    Among those who testified before the panel were football coach Gary Barnett, Athletics Director Richard Tharp, several players and Pasha Cowan, the former manager of an escort service.

    Cowan said football recruiting aide Nathan Maxcey paid her $2,500 for three call girls to visit "very young, very athletic men" at Boulder-area hotels. Maxcey has denied any wrongdoing.

    The grand jury began its work in May after Gov. Bill Owens called for an investigation into allegations that the Colorado football program used sex, strippers and alcohol to recruit promising athletes.

    A commission appointed by the university regents concluded that players arranged sex, drugs and alcohol for recruits but said there was no evidence Colorado officials "knowingly sanctioned" the activities.

    Still pending are federal lawsuits filed by three women who say they were raped by recruits or players in December 2001.



    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Related Topics

Collapse

  • DJRamFan
    Barnett to go before grand jury probing Colorado scandal
    by DJRamFan
    July 30, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    DENVER -- Colorado football coach Gary Barnett was called Friday to appear before a grand jury investigating his program's recruiting practices.

    Advertisement


    Barnett did not immediately go before the panel. He wouldn't comment to reporters.

    He was suspended in February for comments he made about two women who accused football players of rape, then was reinstated in May after an investigative panel concluded he shouldn't be fired.

    The grand jury investigation is the first indication criminal charges could be filed in a scandal that led to sweeping changes in the football recruiting program and a scathing review of university leadership.

    At the governor's request, Attorney General Ken Salazar's office has been investigating. Salazar already decided against filing assault charges on allegations involving nine women dating to 1997, citing concerns about the evidence and the reluctance of the women to go forward with the cases.

    The grand jury has heard from players, director of football operations David Hansburg, campus police and others since May. Legal experts have said they think investigators are trying to figure out whether university funds were misused, among other things.

    Salazar's office has declined to comment.


    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -08-02-2004, 04:23 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Colorado recruits will be allowed more contact with players
    by DJRamFan
    Jan. 19, 2005
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    BOULDER, Colo. -- The University of Colorado has relaxed some recruiting restrictions imposed last year amid a sex-and-alcohol scandal and is allowing prospective football players to spend more time meeting with current team members.

    Advertisement


    The university banned the use of "player-hosts" to show recruits around campus and required closer supervision by coaches after an independent commission found that some players had arranged sex, drugs and alcohol for recruits.

    Provost Phil DiStefano said Tuesday the university is now allowing recruits to spend more time one-on-one with current players "without coaches sitting there."

    Recruiting visits are still limited to one night and curfew remains 11 p.m., DiStefano said. Coaches, not players, are still responsible for the recruits during their stay, he said.

    The rules were eased after Jack Lengyel became interim athletic director, replacing Dick Tharp, who resigned. Lengyel said coach Gary Barnett brought up the issue about individual contact between players and recruits.

    "When I first came on board, we discussed policies and procedures and (Barnett and DiStefano) and the football staff agreed that kind of time was needed," Lengyel said.

    Some players recruited under the old rules complained.

    "I got to talk to players, but it was definitely restricted," said Jake Behrens, a fullback from Omaha, Neb., who still committed to Colorado. "I felt like I kind of lacked a point of view that I couldn't get from being around somebody for a longer period of time."

    The recruiting scandal occurred a year ago after a woman filed a lawsuit saying she was raped at an off-campus party attended by CU players and recruits. At least nine women, including former CU kicker Katie Hnida, have alleged they were raped by football players or recruits since 1997, but no criminal sexual assault charges were filed.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -01-20-2005, 09:09 AM
  • DJRamFan
    After review, BYU replaces men's and women's ADs
    by DJRamFan
    Sept. 8, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    PROVO, Utah -- BYU fired its men's and women's athletic directors Wednesday and merged the two departments, the result of an internal review commissioned in May.

    The school didn't renew the contracts of Val Hale, the men's athletic director, and Elaine Michaelis, the women's AD. They were immediately replaced by a team of department officials, including former California football coach Tom Holmoe. K. Fred Skousen, the school's advancement vice president, said a formal search for a new athletic director would not begin for three to six months.

    Skousen said the changes were not related to an ongoing investigation by the Utah County Attorney's office into a 17-year-old girl's claim that she was raped by several people she believed to be BYU football players.

    Hale, a BYU graduate, was the men's athletic director since 1999 and was an associate AD for 10 years before that.

    Michaelis was in her 10th year of overseeing BYU's 11 women's sports. She also coached volleyball, basketball, softball and field hockey for the Cougars.



    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -09-09-2004, 11:06 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Six Game**** players charged with theft after bowl snub
    by DJRamFan
    Jan. 20, 2005
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Six current and former South Carolina football players were charged Thursday with stealing $18,000 worth of equipment from Williams-Brice Stadium last November.

    Advertisement


    The university said laptop computers, video equipment and framed photographs were stolen from the South Carolina locker room area Nov. 22, shortly after the Game****s were told they would not go to a bowl as punishment for an on-field brawl with Clemson.

    "Regrettably, a few of our student-athletes made a very poor decision during the course of a frustrating situation, and they must now face the consequences," athletic director Mike McGee said.

    Offensive lineman Woody Telfort was charged with grand larceny, a felony. He was accused of stealing more than $1,000 in equipment.

    Quarterbacks Syvelle Newton and Dondrial Pinkins have been charged with petit larceny, a misdemeanor, along with defensive lineman Freddy Saint-Preux and former safety Rodriques Wilson.

    A warrant is pending for a sixth player the school did not identify.

    Telephone calls placed to four of the players were not answered; one player was not listed. They were expected to be arraigned in Richland County bond court Thursday evening.

    New coach Steve Spurrier said he will support the decisions of campus police and prosecutors as the case moves forward.

    "Hopefully we'll never have a situation like this happen again," Spurrier said.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -01-21-2005, 03:31 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Violent behavior behind me, says new Ole Miss coach
    by DJRamFan
    Dec. 17, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    OXFORD, Miss. -- New Mississippi coach Ed Orgeron was charged with repeated domestic violence more than a decade ago when he was an assistant at Miami, according to records obtained Friday by the Associated Press.

    Advertisement


    Background checks were conducted on Orgeron and other candidates, chancellor Robert Khayat said at a news conference introducing Orgeron as the Rebels' coach. Athletic director Pete Boone said school officials are aware of the coach's history.

    "Many years ago coach Orgeron had a very unpleasant experience that involved behavior he is not proud of," Khayat said at Thursday's news conference. "Pete Boone, the athletics committee and I are totally comfortable and confident that coach Orgeron is going to provide the kind of role model that we want for our program."

    Orgeron, hired this week to replace David Cutcliffe at Ole Miss, had a restraining order filed against him by a Dade County, Fla., woman who accused him of repeated violence 13 years ago, said Robert Keen, a supervisor with the Dade County clerk's office.

    The charge of repeat violence was filed on April 10, 1991, and a restraining order was filed the next month, records show. Keen told the AP that records also show Orgeron did not violate that order.


    Ed Orgeron says his past mistakes are 'no longer part of my daily living.' (AP)
    The woman later received a permanent injunction, Keen said, and the court order prohibited him from going to her home or workplace. The injunction was terminated in July 1992, Keen said.

    "All I'm going to say is this: I'm completely comfortable with the steps I've taken to correct the mistakes in my life, and they're no longer part of my daily living," Orgeron said Thursday in Oxford.

    Orgeron also was involved in a 1992 incident in which he reportedly head-butted the manager of a nightclub in Baton Rouge, La., several newspapers reported.

    Felony second-degree battery charges were dropped when the manager settled out of court, according to the Los Angeles Daily News.

    Orgeron was fired at Miami after that incident. He spent a year away from football before resuming his coaching career in 1994 at Nicholls State.

    Orgeron met his wife, Kelly, in 1996. The couple has three children.

    Khayat's secretary said he was out of town Friday, and Boone did not immediately return telephone messages seeking comment.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -12-18-2004, 02:48 PM
Working...
X