for anyone who thinks the U is only a thug school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for anyone who thinks the U is only a thug school

i havent seen it much on this board, but some of you probably think miami is a thug school...

CaneSport News Wire

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
    Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Every men's and women's University of Miami sports team surpassed the minimum standard needed in the NCAA's Academic Progress Report (APR) released today. The minimum standard of 925 represents a score of 92.5 percent as calculated by measuring retention rates and student-athlete eligibility.

The current data consists of all student-athletes on each team for the 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06 and 2006-07 academic years. In the four years that the APR has been complied, Miami has never been subject to any penalties for not meeting the mandated minimum requirements.

Standing out in academic accomplishment amongst their peer sports teams were men's cross country and men's outdoor track which scored in the 90th to 100th percentile and football and men's indoor track which ranked in the 80th to 90th percentile.

Each scholarship student-athlete may earn one point for being eligible and one point for retention per semester for a total of four points per academic year. The total points are then divided by the number of potential points each team could have earned. That percentage is then multiplied by 1000 to provide each team with its APR. As mentioned, the NCAA has established 925 as the cut-off mark. Any team below that standard may be subject to penalties.

"Our coaches, student-athletes and academic support staff are to be commended on the APR scores," said UM Director of Athletics Paul Dee. "The scores are a reflection of the dedication of the student-athletes and their understanding of the importance of academics."

"Our athletic department prides itself on academic achievement and our APR scores are a direct reflection of the commitment of our student-athletes, coaches and academic support staff, " Dee said.

MEN'S SPORTS

Baseball 953

Basketball 948

Cross Country 1000

Football 969

Swimming (diving) 964

Tennis 970

Indoor Track 987

Outdoor Track 990

WOMEN'S SPORTS

Basketball 980

Cross Country 934

Golf 992

Rowing 985

Soccer 972

Swimming 976

Tennis 977

Indoor Track 970

Outdoor Track 970

Volleyball 985

this, and the disclipline that shannon is putting on the football team is really great, we havent had a player arrested last season and im proud to say florida AND florida state did have a few...

hey avenger, i know your an alum, are you a fan of the football team? if so what are your thoughts?
    Built RAM tough

Re: for anyone who thinks the U is only a thug school

I went to law school there. I root for them, but I wouldn't say I'm a diehard. My undergrad school, Tufts University, is a Division III school, so UM is really the only major program I am affiliated with (though my wife went to Florida, so I guess I'm in a mixed marriage).

UM has definitely cleaned up its act. If they can get back to winning ways without compromising their academic standards, that would be a very good thing. I read that this year's recruiting class is considered one of the nation's best, so they might be on their way to achieving this goal.

Comment

Well, at least no on was accused of stealing a dead coeds credit card while helping her parents clean up her dorm room in October of last year and continue to use it for 5 months.

Oh wait, that did happen just not at Miami. It was up the road in Gainesville at Florida. Those darn Gators, they are so crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan View Post
        Well, at least no on was accused of stealing a dead coeds credit card while helping her parents clean up her dorm room in October of last year and continue to use it for 5 months.

Oh wait, that did happen just not at Miami. It was up the road in Gainesville at Florida. Those darn Gators, they are so crazy.
        man for the past year gaotrs players have been getting arrested left and right.
        Built RAM tough

Comment

I am transfering to miami from Florida A&M University Next Fall. Just thought you would like to know.

Comment

oh yeah? you play any sports? thats cool im a die hard miami fan
            Built RAM tough

Comment

nah. but I sure do love sports. Hurt my knee real bad in high school, that ended my shot at sports.

Comment

well i think you like it here, i love south florida, the canes recently moved to dolphin stadium so now their stadium wont be in the middle of the ghetto, last year we used to park outside of the stadium parking and youd have to walk through a couple neighborhoods to get there. but i can get to dolphin stadium fairly easy and my friends dad is a luxury suite salesman in dolphin stadium, so he gets free tickets to every event in any sport, any south florida stadium, its pretty cool.
                Built RAM tough

Comment

i will miss the orange bowl. i hope the magic carries over.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
                    NCAA president concerned about schools' rate of spending
                    by DJRamFan
                    Jan. 8, 2005
                    SportsLine.com wire reports

GRAPEVINE, Texas -- With big steps already being taken toward academic reform in college athletics, NCAA president Myles Brand believes the next area of concern is containing costs.

Advertisement

In his state of the NCAA speech on Saturday, Brand expressed concern about ever-increasing athletic budgets. He warned that similar rates of growth, pushed recently by big TV contracts and other "fast-flowing new revenue streams," are unlikely in the future.

"There will be disappointments when the rate of growth moderates," Brand said.

Winning programs won't necessarily escape that trend.

Brand pointed to an economic study released by the NCAA a year ago that found no correlation between increased spending and increased winning, or between increased winning and increased revenues.

The need to increase the rate at which revenue expands has also inflated the need to increase wins, Brand said. That has raised the competition for outstanding student-athletes and coaches, some who have $2 million annual contracts.

"We must arrest the slide toward professional athletics and the sports entertainment industry," Brand said. "And while the problem is not of crisis proportions right now, the time to (address the problem) is now."

The average Division I university spends almost $15 million a year on athletics. That increases to about $27 million for schools with Division I-A football.

Brand said the problem of "spiraling expectations" isn't directed only at Division I-A programs.

"The same process has driven some I-AA programs to moves its football to I-A and some Division II programs to seek the visibility of Division I," he said.

Some schools feel that moving "to the next level" will result in enhanced academic reputation or new institutional revenue streams, or both.

While containing costs dominated his speech, Brand also discussed academic reform, a centerpiece of his plan since becoming the NCAA's leader two years ago, and the status of amateurism in college sports.

Brand also called it "simply appalling" that there are so few black head football coaches in Division I, as well as Divisions II and III, and not enough women in high positions such as head coaches and athletic directors.

Under a plan being finalized this weekend by a committee and expected to be approved Monday by the Division I Board of Directors, schools will face scholarship reductions for poor academic performance by teams.

Advertisement

The Division I Committee on Academic Performance hoped to determine the final standards for the program on Sunday.

"These...
                    -01-10-2005, 06:24 AM
                  • DJRamFan
                    Florida A&M volunteers to implement penalties
                    by DJRamFan
                    Aug. 1, 2005
                    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida A&M volunteered to strip its football program of 28 scholarships over three years and impose a one-year postseason ban on its men's basketball team as the school conceded a "widespread" lack of institutional control in an internal report released Monday.

Advertisement

The school fired football coach Billy Joe several weeks ago as part of its effort to avoid additional penalties for more than 200 violations that surfaced in nearly every varsity sport at the historically black college.

The report also recommended eliminating 4.5 baseball scholarships, 3.5 in men's track and 2.5 in women's track and curtail recruiting activities for three years and reduce the time allowed for football practice.

The university's findings revealed more than 100 athletes were allowed to compete without filling out eligibility or drug-testing consent forms required by the NCAA.

Florida A&M said it would vacate any team or individual records or awards resulting from performances by ineligible athletes between 1998-2005.

In addition, the school volunteered to eliminate one assistant basketball coach and a graduate assistant in the program for 2005-06, the same season the school banned itself from the postseason.

In all, 12 of the school's sports programs will be affected.

The investigation has already led to the school stripping itself of 11 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference titles, including two in football.

Florida A&M forwarded this report to the NCAA in June, but had not released the details of the proposed scholarship cuts. The NCAA is doing its own investigation at the school and is expected to make its ruling this fall.

The proposed cutbacks would coincide with Florida A&M's budget cuts that have staggered the athletic department.

Suffering from a school-wide budget crisis, Florida A&M has already eliminated its men's tennis and golf teams and its men's and women's swimming and diving programs, cutting the total number of programs from 18 to 14.

In addition to releasing copies of its own internal evaluation, Florida A&M selected a new compliance director -- Rosalyn Dunlap -- and the university is also advertising for a new vice president of audit and compliance.

Joe, who was 86-46 in 11 seasons at the school, filed suit last month to get access to records the school cited at the time he was fired. The university pointed to NCAA rules violations in recruiting and eligibility as the reason for his dismissal.

Former University of Miami and Denver Broncos defensive tackle Rubin Carter was chosen as Joe's replacement last month.

AP NEWS
                    The Associated...
                    -08-02-2005, 01:33 PM
                  • DJRamFan
                    Schnellenberger building a fourth power in Florida
                    by DJRamFan
                    Sept. 23, 2004
                    By Dennis Dodd
                    SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Why not flip a coin to pick a starting quarterback?

Howard Schnellenberger had done wackier things in his career. Twenty years ago it seemed like he was throwing that career away. Miami had won the national championship in 1983 and Schnellenberger, the celebrated architect of Hurricanes football, bolted -- try not to laugh -- to the USFL.

Needless to say, that didn't work out. There was an inspiring stop at Louisville and a disappointing one at Oklahoma but, really, his career arc was never the same again.

"In my opinion, he might have as many championships as anybody, ever (if he stayed at Miami)," Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said. "It's crossed my mind many times."

So why not flip that coin three years ago? How is that more outrageous than creating a football program at an unknown campus in Boca Raton, Fla.? A place where the burrowing owls on campus were the inspiration for the school's nickname?

Or agreeing to go door-to-door soliciting community leaders for the mere $15 million needed to go from germ of an idea to kickoff?

Really, it wasn't weird at all for the 70-year old who, well, let's just say he still has extreme confidence in his abilities. So, yeah, it really was Schnellenberger who suggested in 2001 that freshman quarterbacks Jared Allen and Garrett Jahn flip a coin to start the first game in Florida Atlantic's history.

"They were too close for a human being to call so God called it," Schnellenberger said this week, considering his latest construction project. "Certainly I would do that. Why wouldn't I?"

Ridiculous is sublime again in Schnellenberger's world. Amid this season's talking points -- hurricanes, instant replay, kickers who can't kick -- is the job Schnellie has done at that owl-laden commuter campus of 13,000 students in Palm Beach County.

Three victories, all on the road, all against I-A competition in Florida Atlantic's final season before joining the big time, which in this case is the Sun Belt Conference in 2005. Next year, this college football IPO will be eligible for -- please stifle your laughter again -- a bowl.

All of it after playing organized college football for all of four years. All of it according to plan.

"He was basically semi-retired in Miami selling municipal bonds," said Dr. Anthony Catanese, the man who hired Schnellenberger at Florida Atlantic in 1998. "I said, 'That's not the place for Howard Schnellenberger.'

"He told me in five years he'd have this program nationally recognized. He did it in three."

Almost all of it has been done with kids from the state of Florida who couldn't go to one of the Big Three -- Miami, Florida or Florida State....
                    -09-23-2004, 01:14 PM
                  • DJRamFan
                    NCAA gets serious about school -- and some will pay
                    by DJRamFan
                    Jan. 14, 2005
                    By Dennis Dodd
                    SportsLine.com Senior Writer
                    Tell Dennis your opinion!

Might as well beat the NCAA to publicly outing these major-college football programs.

Mack Brown's record at Texas: 70 wins, 19 losses, 27 percent graduation rate. (Getty Images)
                    Minnesota. Houston. Texas. Utah.

The Association would have us believe all of the above are about to be put on double-secret probation. Or something close to it. The NCAA basically said so this week when it got to the heart of the matter of academic performance. Fall below a 50 percent graduation rate, and programs could lose scholarships, postseason berths and, worst case, NCAA membership.

How's that feel, Flubbed Four? Embarrassed enough? All four of those programs graduated no more than 40 percent of their players -- oops, sorry, student-athletes -- according the latest grad rates. The NCAA already has said 30 percent of I-A falls below its new Academic Performance Rate (APR) standard that approximates those current NCAA grad rates.

Those four might or might not be in that group when warnings are issued sometime soon, but their recent track record isn't good. And there will be more.

Later this month or early February, the NCAA will start sending out letters to schools that fall below the APR cut line of 925 (approximately 50 percent). By 2006, offenders could start losing scholarships (up to 10 percent in each sport).

Then a postseason ban. Imagine Texas being told it can't go bowling.

The next punishment stage is essentially a new version of the NCAA's death penalty -- loss of membership.

"We're talking about rather strong penalties here," NCAA president Myles Brand said, adding, "We're talking about the level of major infraction penalties."

And it might just work. For once, the NCAA has some legislation with teeth -- or at least the red-cheek factor. If nothing else, the "offenders" will be chagrined. The NCAA plans a very public process in notifying and penalizing schools that fall below 925.

The idea being: Imagine Texas letting things slip to a postseason ban. Supposedly, it won't.

Schools' grad rates will be tracked term-by-term, year-by-year instead of the antiquated federally mandated six-year window, which was akin to looking at a distant star. Sometimes many coaches, presidents and athletic directors ago.

The APR is more accurate in that it takes into account transfers going in and out of the program who leave in good academic standing.

But for now, the old antiquated system is all we have to go on, which is why the four schools were selected for this mini-public flogging. According to the NCAA, 27 percent of the Texas freshman football players entering school in 1997-98...
                    -01-18-2005, 05:00 PM
                  • DJRamFan
                    NCAA lets schools know if they're making the grade
                    by DJRamFan
                    Feb. 15, 2005
                    SportsLine.com wire reports

INDIANAPOLIS -- Schools will begin receiving information from the NCAA about their teams' academic performance within the next week, a move that could lead to some schools losing scholarships next fall.

Advertisement

The reports will be made available to the public on Feb. 28.

NCAA officials said Tuesday they believe about 20 percent of men's basketball teams and 30 percent of football teams risk immediate penalties based on data collected from the 2003-04 school year. But penalties will not be imposed until after officials collect data from 2004-05.

"I think the vast majority of those at risk will be so far under the cutlines, that it will be a no-brainer," said Wally Renfro, senior adviser to President Myles Brand.

The penalties are a component in the NCAA's latest academic reform movement, which is based on a new points system that measures the retention and graduation rates of each team.

An athlete receives one point per semester or quarter for remaining eligible and another point each term for staying in school. The formula will not penalize schools for students who remain academically eligible before transferring, something that count against universities when federal graduation rates are calculated.

The system also rewards schools for accepting transfers who graduate -- something federal guidelines do not count.

The NCAA will then calculate each team's total score and divide the number by the most possible points to produce a percentage. A perfect score would translate to 1,000 points, and any team with fewer than 925 points -- equivalent to about a 50 percent graduation rate -- could lose scholarships.

But because next year's equations are based on only two years of data, rather than the preferred four years, the NCAA also will have a small-squad adjustment formula that could help some teams avoid immediate punishment even if their total score falls below the cutline.

NCAA vice president Kevin Lennon said that part of the equation was added to avoid anomalies for teams with fewer athletes. Todd Petr, the NCAA's managing director of research, said the adjustment would be calculated like the margin of error in a presidential poll.

Lennon also insisted schools still had time to change their numbers before next fall.

"Things can be done right now to avoid these penalties," he said. "But you may have a team that has 80 players and a score of 900 with a different boundary than a team of five at 900."

Schools could not lose more than 10 percent of scholarships allowed by the NCAA in any one year in each sport. The loss would be for just one year at a time.

But if the academic numbers don't improve, schools...
                    -02-18-2005, 07:53 AM
                  Working...
                  X