Gutierrez named Michigan's starting QB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutierrez named Michigan's starting QB

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- When Lloyd Carr said Monday that Matt Gutierrez would be Michigan's starting quarterback, it was news to at least some of his players.

"We're dead serious -- we didn't know either," said running back David Underwood, sitting near safety Ernest Shazor, outside of a studio where Carr's news conference was held. "I guess we didn't have to know yet."

Gutierrez (pronounced goo-TARE-es) will make his first college start when the eighth-ranked Wolverines open their season against Miami of Ohio (1-0) on Saturday at Michigan Stadium.

Since the Wolverines lost to USC in the Rose Bowl, it seemed likely the redshirt sophomore would win the job. But Carr insisted two other quarterbacks -- Clayton Richard and Chad Henne -- had a shot.

After redshirting as a freshman two years ago, Gutierrez was John Navarre's seldom-used backup last season, completing 13 of 19 passes for 153 yards and a touchdown.

Earlier this month, Gutierrez was very diplomatic about the quarterback competition.

"Whoever is on the field is going to have earned it, and everyone else is going to respect the coach's decision," he said.

Gutierrez, a mobile quarterback with a solid arm, has not lost a game he started since he was a high school freshman playing junior varsity football. The 6-foot-4, 230-pounder starred for three seasons on varsity at DeLaSalle Catholic High School in northern California where he threw for more than 5,000 yards and 64 TDs with just nine interceptions.

Carr said Gutierrez's high school success didn't necessarily help him become Navarre's successor.

"What counts is your performance here," Carr said.

Underwood, who also will make his first start Saturday, said Gutierrez deserves to lead the Wolverines.

"He works hard, wakes up early, watches film, works out, watches more film, then works out some more," Underwood said. "And everybody loves him because of the type of person he is. He's just a cool cat.

"On the field, he's cool, calm and collected. Bad plays don't bother him at all. When something good happens, he's very emotional."

Shazor said even though Gutierrez has limited experience in college, he has learned a lot.

"He was able to see everything that John Navarre went through, up close for two years," Shazor said. "He got a taste of playing in a few games, went on road trips, and took a lot of snaps in practice. All of that will help him."

Carr said Richard and Henne still are competing to be Michigan's No. 2 quarterback.

Richard, a drop-back passer with a strong arm, did not play as a freshman last year. Henne, who threw for 7,000 yards and 74 TDs in Pennsylvania, reminds Carr of Drew Henson.

"(Henne) has been impressive, there's no question," Carr said. "And I like Clayton Richard a lot."

Miami of Ohio also is breaking in a new quarterback this season.

Josh Betts, who is replacing Ben Roethlisberger, passed for three TDs and ran for a score to lead the RedHawks to a 49-0 rout of Division I-AA Indiana State on Saturday.

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
    By Eric Esteban Independent Florida Alligator
    by DJRamFan
    By Ryan Colaianni University Daily Kansan
    Lawrence, KS (U-WIRE) -- Although Kansas football coach Mark Mangino has not named a starter for this Saturday's game against Florida Atlantic, all signs are pointing to junior Adam Barmann.

Barmann started the first eight games last season, before suffering an apparent shoulder injury against Iowa State, ending his season. Barmann has since worked with the first team throughout spring practices and training camp.

"Adam Barmann has picked up some ground coming out of the summer program. He's probably the most prepared of our veteran quarterbacks," Mangino said. "He still has to continue to improve to win the job."

At the team's annual media day on Aug. 11, Barmann was asked if the starting quarterback job was his. He confidently answered "yeah."

He passed for 1,427 yards with 12 touchdowns over nine interceptions.

Pushing Barmann is senior Brian Luke.

Luke led the team to victory over Missouri last season, yet was listed behind Barmann and senior Jason Swanson on the depth chart when spring practices ended in April.

Since then, Luke went to Mangino and told him he wanted to be the starting quarterback.

"I made it clear that I do not want to be the back-up, that I want to be the starter," Luke said. "But should I be the back-up I will do that with 100 percent pride."

Mangino appreciated Luke talking to him in his office, rather than hearing it from another coach, Luke said.

"I am as confident as I have ever been. I know the offense better than I ever have before," Luke said. "I am definitely looking forward to this season."

Luke saw action in three games last year and his pass-efficiency rating was the highest of any of the team's quarterbacks. He passed for 467 yards and three touchdowns.

Luke also nearly led Kansas to a victory over Texas, the week before the Missouri contest.

"Brian Luke is a very good player who has a great command of the offense," Barmann said. "We have a lot of very good players at the quarterback position and it will make all of us better."

Freshman quarterback Kerry Meier is also still in the mix for the job, Mangino said.

"The young guy, Kerry Meier, each and every day he learns more and more about our offense," Mangino said. "You can see he's an awfully talented guy."

Mangino hasn't said whether Meier wouldn't receive a redshirt this season.

Senior quarterback Jason Swanson, who threw the go-ahead touchdown against Kansas State last season, apparently is not in the race for the starting job.

"Swanson's been slowed down. He doesn't take many...
    -08-29-2005, 06:10 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Hawaii's Chang may become most prolific QB in college history
    by DJRamFan
    HONOLULU (AP) -- Hawaii coach June Jones knew special things were in store for his football program when a lanky, baby-faced teenager first stepped onto the Manoa practice field in 2000 and completed eight straight passes.

Since then, quarterback Timmy Chang has thrown for 12,814 yards and 79 touchdowns and is closing in on becoming the most prolific passer in college history.

The senior needs 2,218 yards to break the 13-year-old NCAA career passing mark of 15,031 set by Brigham Young's Ty Detmer, who won the Heisman Trophy in 1990.

Chang, who is 1,030-of-1,834, is also on pace to break the NCAA marks in career completions (1,231) and pass attempts (1,883), held by Texas Tech's Kliff Kingsbury. With 67 interceptions thrown, Chang is the verge of breaking Purdue quarterback Mark Herrmann's record of 73.

Barring injury or any mental lapses that led to his benching last year, Chang -- who averages 320.4 passing yards per game -- could surpass Detmer's record by midseason.

"I had envisioned this happening if he had stayed healthy," Jones said. "The first time I saw him in our training camp, I knew he would play as a freshman. And anybody that lines up and plays 12 games a year in this offense is going to have a shot at that record."

If he does break Detmer's record, Chang said it is a reflection of all his coaches and teammates -- past and present.

"Football is the biggest team game," he said. "You got 11 guys on the field that need to work together to accomplish one goal. It would be selfish to award myself, so I would never do that."

Hawaii is also touting Chang as a Heisman hopeful. He could have a big season, given that 10 offensive starters are returning from last year's 9-5 squad, which was second in the nation in passing.

He has already set or tied 36 school records and eight Western Athletic Conference marks. Not bad considering he didn't play the sport until junior high school.

"Football wasn't a part of my childhood experience other than on the streets," Chang said. "I love basketball more than football, even now. But football was a tool for me to get ahead."

The youngest of three children, Chang said he focused on football to lessen his parents' financial burden of paying for a college education. He expects to graduate next spring with a liberal arts degree.

Despite his lofty numbers, Chang has struggled with injuries and inconsistency.

Last year, he was booed by the home crowd and benched late in the season for ineffectiveness. However, he came off the bench and threw for 475 yards and five touchdowns in a 54-48 triple-overtime victory over Houston in the Hawaii Bowl.

Chang said his most difficult time was when he suffered a season-ending wrist injury just three games into...
    -08-30-2004, 09:15 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Gilbertson changes starting QB
    by DJRamFan
    Sept. 27, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

SEATTLE -- Washington coach Keith Gilbertson said Monday redshirt freshman Carl Bonnell will be the starting quarterback when the Huskies visit Stanford next weekend.

Advertisement

Casey Paus, a junior who started the first three games, is still expected to play but now is considered the backup.

"We labored on these thoughts," Gilbertson said. "I'd like to see a guy go in as the starter and stay there. Obviously, we're struggling offensively."

Some other changes were forced by injuries. Receiver Corey Williams is out for the season after surgery Sunday for a separated wrist. Williams ran into a brick wall after running through the end zone during a 38-3 loss at Notre Dame on Saturday.

He was examined after the Huskies (0-3) returned from South Bend, Ind., and doctors recommended immediate surgery.

Receiver Charles Frederick, who also returns kicks and punts, is "very, very doubtful" for the Stanford game because of a strained hamstring, Gilbertson said. And fullback Zach Tuiasosopo probably is finished for the season after breaking a bone in his right leg at Notre Dame.

"This happens to just about everybody at some point," Gilbertson said. "You're not always going to have smooth sailing."

The Huskies, winless after three games for the first time since 1969, are becoming much younger. Sophomore Quintin Daniels and redshirt freshman Bobby Whithorne are the starting receivers.

Several other youngsters have been getting more playing time, including freshman starting defensive tackle Jordan White-Frisbee. Erick Lobos and Greyson Gunheim also have been playing significant minutes on the defensive line.

The young Huskies might be struggling, but Gilbertson said they'll improve.

"We're not going to make seniors out of freshmen in just a few weeks," he said. "A month from now, they'll have a month more experience. A month from now, they'll be a much better football team. They've got to know it."

The demotion came as a surprise to Paus, who was informed by a school publicist when he arrived for Washington's weekly round of interviews with reporters. He was 10-of-26 for 130 yards with no interceptions in the first half at Notre Dame.

"It's not really up to me," Paus said. "I thought I played pretty well. Unfortunately, wins are what matter."

Advertisement

Gilbertson said he made the decision earlier Monday after meeting with his offensive coaches.

"I don't want anyone to feel I don't think Casey Paus isn't a great player or that I don't have confidence in him. I do," Gilbertson said. "I just think this is...
    -09-28-2004, 08:27 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Michigan phenom Hart looks foward to Columbus crowd
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 18, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Some athletes thrive off the energy their fans provide during home games.

Advertisement

Mike Hart is just the opposite.

The freshman Michigan running back knows he'll be the enemy Saturday at Ohio State -- yet he's looking forward to the experience.

"I love being booed. To me, there's nothing better than that," Hart said. "I'd rather get booed. It gives me a lot more incentive."

Listed at 5-feet-9 and 194 pounds -- though he might not be that tall or heavy -- Hart is used to being doubted, jeered and taunted.

"I just like going into situations that are against you," he said. "It's probably because of my little size."

If Hart can do what he has done for much of the year for No. 7 Michigan, the Buckeyes' rowdy fans might be silenced.

Hart averages a Big Ten-best 131.1 yards rushing -- ninth in the country -- despite carrying the ball just eight times in the first two games and not starting until the fifth game of the season.

Hart also leads the conference with 150.5 all-purpose yards per game.

"He came in and surprised a lot of people," Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk said. "He's a great running back. He's not a huge guy, but he breaks a lot of tackles.

"It's a pretty big challenge to stop a guy like that because if a couple of defensive guys are out of place, he'll find the mistake and hit the crease and make you pay."

Hart's 1,311 yards rank 13th in Michigan history for a season rushing total. If he matches his average Saturday, he'll move into seventh place.

He ran for 151 yards in Michigan's 42-20 win over Northwestern last week for his school-record fifth straight 150-yard game.

Advertisement

Against the Wildcats, he also moved past Ohio State's Maurice Clarett (1,237 yards) into third place on the conference list for single-season rushing by a freshman. Just Wisconsin's Ron Dayne (2,109) and Minnesota's Darrell Thompson (1,376) ran for more yards than Hart as Big Ten freshmen.

Hawk compared Hart to Clarett.

"Both can see the hole and know when to cut it back," Hawk said.

Michigan coach Lloyd Carr knew he would have to replace Chris Perry, now an NFL rookie in Cincinnati, but he wasn't sure the recruit from upstate New York could handle the task.

"This is a guy that came out of a very small high school, and a lot of people questioned whether his competition was strong enough," Carr said. "I can't say to you that I thought he would be leading the Big Ten in rushing this late in the season, because I didn't. But I didn't have any question that...
    -11-18-2004, 01:42 PM
  • DJRamFan
    LSU mulls over starting quarterback selection
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 15, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

BATON ROUGE, La. -- LSU coach Les Miles appears to have a desirable dilemma at quarterback.

Advertisement

The first-year coach has two former high school All-Americans with experience and a freshman touted as the best prep QB in the nation.

But whether JaMarcus Russell, Matt Flynn or Ryan Perrilloux can bring stability and consistency to the Tigers' offense is the big question for a team with legitimate national title aspirations.

"I think all three of them are very talented guys. I think JaMarcus has a very talented arm and he's getting more comfortable with the system," Miles said. "Matt Flynn, again, can throw the football well and maybe is a little bit better at scrambling in the pocket.

"The young quarterback (Perrilloux) we have has all the talent. He can throw the football and is getting comfortable with the system."

So who's going to start? Probably Russell, but Miles isn't ready to completely commit.

"All three are coming along," Miles said. "They'll continue to compete for that position."

Star quarterbacks have been a rarity at LSU. Before the recent run on topflight passers, LSU hadn't landed a top high school signal caller since 1994 when Josh Booty signed, only to leave for professional baseball.

They have had solid but rarely spectacular players at the position -- Matt Mauck being the best example from LSU's national championship team of two years ago.

Potentially, LSU could have a star at quarterback this season.

Russell was among the nation's top recruits in 2003, and Flynn was right there with him. Perrilloux, a Louisiana native, was a highly sought star who spurned Texas to sign with LSU.

Russell shared playing and starting with Marcus Randall last season -- he started four games -- showing flashes of talent, but not nearly enough consistency.

Russell threw for 1,053 and nine touchdowns, but completed just 50 percent of his throws as the Tigers went 9-3 last season.

"I think I'm 100 percent better this fall," said Russell, who entered the fall practices as No. 1. "I'm more comfortable. I feel like I see things better and I'm a better leader."

Advertisement

Perrilloux alienated Russell and Flynn when he signed before national media at East St. John High and proclaimed that he would throw for "maybe 2,000" yards, rush for "maybe 1,000" and "I could definitely be a Heisman winner next year, or at least a contender."

That brashness has been toned down considerable since Perrilloux arrived at LSU. He acknowledges he may have come off...
    -08-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Working...
X