Somebody help me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody help me

Somebody help me, USC jumps to the #1 spot this week (and I guess they deserve it ) by handing a whoopin to Virginia. Georgia and Ohio State fell due to the fact they had lesser oponents. I guess i can see that except I thought in the early season unless you lost you pretty well kept your ranking. Guess I was wrong. Here's where I have a real problem, Missouri beat the #20 team in the nation and stayed at #6. Why? By the logic of the NCAA they should have moved up I say two spots and Georgia and Ohio State should be behind them. Mind you I am a Mizzou fan to the core so I get a little POd when they don't get any respect. If someone can give me a reason for the way the rankings are I would love to hear it.
    sigpic

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
    Michigan Out Of The AP Rankings
    by DJRamFan
    Not surprisingly, Southern California tops the list

Sept. 25, 2005

College Football Recap: Week 4

Saturday's Best | Photo Gallery
    No. 4 Va. Tech Crushes 15th-Ranked GT | USF Stuns No. 9 Louisville
    Minnesota Upends No. 11 Purdue In Two OTs | No. 12 Miami Stymies Buffs

------------ Top 25 Game Recaps ------------ -------- SATURDAY -------- No. 1 USC 45, Oregon 13 No. 4 Va. Tech 51, No. 15 Ga. Tech 7 No. 5 Florida 49, Kentucky 28 No. 7 Georgia 23 Mississippi State 10 No. 8 OSU 31, No. 21 Iowa 6 South Florida 45 No. 9 Louisville 14 Minn. 42, No. 11 Purdue 35 (2 OT) No. 12 Miami 23, Colorado 3 Wisconsin 23, No. 14 Michigan 20 No. 16 Notre Dame 36, Washington 17 No. 17 MSU 61, Illinois 14 No. 18 Arizona St. 42, Oregon St. 24 No. 19 Texas Tech 63 Indiana State 7 No. 20 Alabama 24, Arkansas 13 No. 23 Virginia 38, Duke 7 --------- FRIDAY ----------- No. 13 Cal 41, New Mexico State 13 No. 22 Iowa State 28, Army 21 ----------
    RALPH D. RUSSO
    AP Sports Writer

The winningest team in the history of college football team is unranked for the first time in more than seven years.

Michigan fell out of The Associated Press Top 25 on Sunday, ending a streak of 114 straight weeks in the rankings, which was the longest in the nation. The last poll that didn't include the Wolverines was Oct. 18, 1998.

Southern California extended its streak of No. 1 rankings to 23 in the latest media poll. The Trojans picked up two first place-votes after wiping out an early 13-point deficit and blowing out Oregon 45-13 on Saturday, a win that knocked the Ducks out of the rankings.

The Wolverines lost at Wisconsin 23-20 to fall to 2-2. Michigan's two wins came against Northern Illinois and Eastern Michigan of the Mid-American Conference. The Wolverines other loss was to Notre Dame. Michigan started the season ranked No. 4.

The Wolverines' fall comes a week after another traditional power, Oklahoma, fell from the rankings for the first time since 1999.

No. 9 Miami now has the longest current streak at 93.

USC received 59 of a possible 65 first-place votes. No. 2 Texas received the other six first-place votes.

Virginia Tech moved up a spot to No. 3 after a 51-7 romp over Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets fell 10 spots to No. 25. LSU, which plays Tennessee on Monday night, dropped a spot to fourth.

The Volunteers remained No. 10, and voters will next week have to judge them and the Tigers on two games. Tennessee plays Mississippi in Knoxville on Saturday and LSU is at Mississippi State.

No. 5 is Florida, followed by Florida State and Georgia.

The seventh-ranked Bulldogs give the Southeastern Conference four top-10 teams for...
    -09-25-2005, 04:08 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Similar Teams Have a Lot at Stake in Big Ten Opener
    by DJRamFan
    Conference play begins this weekend, with a lot on the line

Sept. 23, 2005

College Football Preview: Week 4

Sorenson's 10 Questions | CSTV.com Heisman Watch
    Road to the BCS, Presented by Allstate | DELL Rivalry of he Week
    Press Conference Video: Tenn. | ND | UTEP | Tulsa | Memphis
    Crystal Ball Video: USC at Oregon | ND at Washington | ACC Showdown

Top 25 Game Previews ---------------- FRIDAY ----------------- No. 22 Iowa State at Army No. 13 Cal at New Mexico State -------------- SATURDAY ---------------- No. 1 USC at No. 24 Oregon No. 10 Tennessee at No. 3 LSU No. 15 Ga. Tech at No. 4 Va. Tech No. 5 Florida at Kentucky No. 7 Georgia at Mississippi State No. 21 Iowa at No. 8 Ohio State No. 9 Louisville at South Florida No. 11 Purdue at Minnesota Colorado at No. 12 Miami No. 14 Michigan at Wisconsin No. 16 Notre Dame at Washington No. 17 Michigan State at Illinois No. 18 Arizona State at Oregon State Indiana St. at No. 19 Texas Tech Arkansas at No. 20 Alabama Duke at No. 23 Virginia ---------- Team Previews ---------- Air Force Akron Alabama Arizona Arizona St Arkansas Arkansas St Army Auburn BYU Ball St Baylor Boise St Boston College Bowling Green Buffalo California Central Mich Cincinnati Clemson Colorado Colorado St Connecticut Duke East Carolina Eastern Mich Florida Florida St Fresno St Georgia Georgia Tech Hawaii Houston Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Iowa St Kansas Kansas St Kent State Kentucky LSU La Tech Louisville Marshall Maryland Memphis Miami Fla Miami Ohio Michigan Michigan St Middle Tenn Minnesota Mississippi Mississippi St Missouri NC State Navy Nebraska Nevada New Mexico New Mexico St North Carolina North Texas Northern Ill Northwestern Notre Dame Ohio Ohio State Oklahoma Oklahoma St Oregon Oregon St Penn St Pittsburgh Purdue Rice Rutgers SMU San Diego St San Jose St South Carolina South Florida Southern Miss Stanford Syracuse TCU Temple Texas Texas A&M Texas Tech Toledo Troy St Tulane Tulsa UAB UCF UCLA UL-Lafayette UL-Monroe UNLV USC UTEP Utah Utah St Vanderbilt Virginia Virginia Tech Wake Forest Washington Washington St West Virginia Western Mich Wisconsin Wyoming ----------

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - There are no games circled on Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz's schedule. He doesn't use a red marker to draw an arrow toward a rival or to underline a top opponent.

"It's a dangerous practice if you just point to a single game because what do you tell your team the next week? 'This one's not quite as big?"' he asked. "They all count for one, so I've never really subscribed to that."

Yet there's no question that No. 8 Ohio State does heading into its rematch with the 21st-ranked Hawkeyes, dating back to last year's 33-7 beating in Iowa City.

"It was a day you'd like to...
    -09-23-2005, 02:07 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Michigan determined to not let Ohio State spoil its season
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 15, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Hate.

Advertisement

That's the word Chad Henne used to describe the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry, and it's a description his coach probably wishes his freshman quarterback had avoided.

"It's the biggest tradition in college football," Henne said. "They hate us and we hate them."

Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said because Henne hasn't played the Buckeyes yet, he doesn't really understand.

"Hate, I guarantee is not part of this rivalry," Carr said Monday. "And I think when he's through he would not characterize it that way. They probably have guys that say the same thing.

"I think if you're at Michigan, you hate to lose to Ohio State. And I think if you're at Ohio State, you hate to lose to Michigan. I think that's what Chad Henne meant, so print it that way."

Carr then smiled and laughed in a rare moment of levity during a week when a lot is at stake for No. 7 Michigan.

If the Wolverines (9-1, 7-0 Big Ten) win at Ohio State on Saturday, they will repeat as outright conference champions and will play in a second straight Rose Bowl.

If the Buckeyes (6-4, 3-4) win, they'll end a disappointing season with a satisfying victory.

"For them to spoil the season for us, it has to be a big motivator for them," senior running back Kevin Dudley said.

An Ohio State win would also drop Michigan into a first-place tie and possibly a second-tier bowl in Florida.

Unless the postseason game is a part of the Bowl Championship Series, namely the Rose Bowl in California, the Wolverines want no part of it.

"We don't want to go back down to Florida," Marlin Jackson said. "We want to go to Pasadena."

Advertisement

Michigan controls its postseason fate because it got the help it needed when previously unbeaten Wisconsin lost at Michigan State on Saturday.

After the Wolverines beat Northwestern 42-20 - their seventh straight win this season and 13th Big Ten victory in a row - many of them huddled around televisions to root for their instate rivals.

"I was going crazy," linebacker Roy Manning said. "It's probably one of the only times I was rooting for Michigan State."

At least one former Buckeye - Jim Massey - will be pulling against his school because he has two younger brothers - Patrick and Mike - on Michigan's team.

"He definitely roots for us," said defensive tackle Patrick Massey, a Brecksville, Ohio, native. "He's a family guy. He's got a lot of pride in his school; he loves Ohio State; loves the program; he's a huge fan of coach (Jim Tressel). But he...
    -11-16-2004, 07:48 AM
  • DJRamFan
    No. 18 Boise State keeps winning streak rolling
    by DJRamFan
    Oct. 24, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

BOISE, Idaho -- Boise State impressed Fresno State coach Pat Hill more than any of those big conference teams he has faced the past couple of seasons.

Advertisement

The Broncos extended the nation's longest winning streak to 18 games with a 33-16 victory over Fresno State on Saturday night.

"This is a better football team than Kansas State or Washington. This is a better football team than Tennessee last year," Hill said.

Fresno State won at Washington and Kansas State to open this season and lost at Tennessee last year.

Known more for its wide-open, high-scoring offense, the Broncos used a punishing defense and strong running game to beat the Bulldogs and improve to 7-0 for the first time in school history.

It was Boise State's 22nd consecutive Western Athletic Conference victory and 23rd home victory in a row, also the longest streak in the country.

No. 18 Boise State (4-0 WAC) last lost at home in September 2001 against Washington State.

"The more this thing goes on, the more we need to focus," Boise State coach Dan Hawkins said.

The Broncos held Fresno State (3-3, 0-3) to just 17 yards rushing on 17 carries.

Fresno State was averaging 204 yards per game on the ground. It was the Bulldogs' third consecutive conference loss after starting the season 3-0.

"Seventeen yards rushing? I was looking up at that the whole time," Boise State defensive lineman Alex Gurrero said. "We worked all week on that. It's just huge."

Offensively, Boise State pounded the running game on a chilly night when heavy rain and hail alternated throughout the game. Lee Marks rushed for a career-high 112 yards, and the Broncos ran 55 times.

Jared Zabransky added 227 yards passing and did not throw an interception. His 5-yard touchdown pass to Andy Weldon with 4:31 left finally put the game out of reach. Zabransky also ran for a 1-yard TD in the third quarter.

Advertisement

Fresno State quarterback Paul Pinegar could not take advantage of a Boise State pass defense ranked 111th in the country. Pinegar threw for 174 yards, but led the Bulldogs on only one sustained scoring drive and his two interceptions led to 10 Boise State points.

"That was just a phenomenal job by the entire defense," Boise State linebacker Andy Avalos said.

The Broncos have their sights set on a Bowl Championship Series berth. Boise State was 14th in the first BCS rankings, but the possibility of climbing into serious contention for a BCS game would require a number of losses by teams ahead of them in the rankings. The WAC does not gain an automatic berth into the BCS.

Boise...
    -10-25-2004, 06:04 AM
  • Nick
    What a weekend in college football!
    by Nick
    #3 Oklahoma loses to Colorado
    #4 Florida loses to Auburn
    #5 West Virginia loses to #18 South Florida
    #7 Texas loses to Kansas State
    #10 Rutgers loses to Maryland
    #13 Clemson loses to Georgia Tech
    #21 Penn State loses to Illinois